THE BROWNS BOARD

Evaluate the QBs

chumpchange

I am intelligent enough to realize that if you throw for 3700 and 29 and go 10-6 WITH THE 30TH RANKED DEFENSE IN THE NFL then I can win with you if I improve my f***ing defense.

Brady is cute and all ... BUT WHEN WE ARE BETTER PHYSICALLY AND DEFENSIVELY THAN BALTIMORE AND PITTSBURGH WE WILL WIN THE AFC NORTH, AND NOT BEFORE.

Otherwise, I am quite open on the quraterback positon ... wait, did I miss something ... did somebody do something tonight?

Zombo

--STEELERS 1st DEFENSE, RAVENS 2nd DEFENSE, BROWNS 30th DEFENSE ... let's fix the QB position, that'll show 'em!

dude, tom brady diddnt even get to 29 and 3700 until 2007.....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quinn looked like a genuine pro moving the ball unlike DA he wasnt afforded the luxury of 2 back to back drives to get a rythm going but got a rythm anyways..DA looked like genuine shit and made yet another lame excuse for his bad decision.. im sure the staff has already amongst themselves determined the starter if they havent they need not be coaching because the the class difference between round 1 and round 6 was quite visible on and off the field..

DQ fags and gentlemen we have an un-named starter!

Its time to name BQ the starter and begin making full preparations for the season instead of wasting more valuable time evaluating a bad bet in DA..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-a-rough-night/

Anderson has a rough night

Posted by Mike Florio on August 15, 2009 10:25 PM ET

Browns quarterback Derek Anderson didn't get the start on Saturday night, when Cleveland traveled to Lambeau Field.

In hindsight, Anderson might wish he hadn't played at all.

In two drives, Anderson threw two incomplete passes, one of which was intercepted.

Then, with 1:50 on the clock before halftime, starter Brady Quinn returned.

The only silver lining for Anderson is that Quinn threw an interception, too.

==============

I'm wondering if rhythm passer DA is going to have trouble with this method of a QB competition. A series in and a series out makes it difficult to get in the groove.

http://www.blitzcorner.com/NFL/Browns-QB-B...Round-1-Results

Round 1 of Browns' Quarterback Fight Goes to Brady Quinn

Posted Aug 15, 2009 11:59PM By Chris Burke (RSS feed)

If Cleveland's Brady Quinn-Derek Anderson quarterback battle was Mike Tyson's Punch Out, then Anderson played the role of Glass Joe on Saturday night in Green Bay. If it was a horror film, Anderson was the sexually precocious teenagers that run off into the woods, then die. If it was Simon and Garfunkel, Anderson was Garfunkel.

OK, this thing's falling apart. Long story short, Anderson stunk.

Anderson quarterbacked two possessions against the Packers, finishing 0-of-2 passing with one interception and a near-interception. Quinn wasn't sensational -- 7-of-11 for 68 yards and a pick -- but next to Anderson, he looked like Johnny Unitas.

It was bad enough that, after Tramon Williams intercepted an Anderson pass midway through the second quarter, Cleveland coach Eric Mangini reinserted Quinn into the lineup just before halftime -- almost an unheard of preseason move.

This thing's far from over, of course. One decent performance from Quinn isn't going to be enough for him to definitively claim the Browns' starting job.

But let's be honest about this: if either of the pair needs to go out and win the spot, as opposed to simply not losing it, it's Anderson.

Quinn's in the third year of a five-year rookie contract. The Browns drafted him as their future franchise QB, and have since opted not to trade him, despite multiple reported opportunities. They're not keeping a promising 24-year-old quarterback around just to sit him on the bench.

Placing Quinn second on the depth chart, though, becomes much more reasonable if Anderson shows he's the guy Cleveland saw in 2007. Anderson threw for 3,787 yards that season with a 29-19 touchdown-to-interception ratio and went to the Pro Bowl. Last year, in 10 games, he had 2,000 less yards and 20 less touchdowns.

On Saturday in Green Bay, Anderson didn't look much like a Pro Bowler. He looked like Garfunkel -- and that's not another crazy analogy; he looked like how I would imagine Art Garfunkel would look playing quarterback in the NFL.

That's not going to be good enough to win the starter's role.

Zombo's posting in a thread analying QB play from a particular game he didn't see?

Smart. Real Smart.

Go to a friend's house, watch the game on a TIVO replay, then come back and post with the big boys.

Seriously, I get your point on the QB's. However, the QB that you pine for that threw 29 TD's and 3,700 yards went 0 and 0 on those two stats respectively. Oh, but he did have a "1" in the INT column. DA looked pretty darn bad. Matter of fact, we haven't seen that guy but for one game in the past year and a half to 2 years. Might want to move on.

Quinn looked efficient. If our starting center doesn't hold on a FG attempt and our all pro WR catches a routine pass, Quinn would have put 10 points on the board.

All that said, the OL and defense looked pretty crappy so worrying about who starts at QB is probably the least of our concern.

Quinn is in his third NFL Season ... he needs to take over and never look back ...

You are right, Zombo.

Simply stated, Quinn is in a position where he needs to be 'prime time player'. The fact that the Browns still have a QB 'controversy' is sickening.

This is year #3 for Quinn. His apprenticeship is over. No more excuses.

If he doesn't leave Anderson in the dust then, even his strong supporters, need to take notice.

Disclaimer: I want him to succeed. Just that he has to DO SOMETHING. When I saw the score this AM, I assumed that Anderson started and played the bulk of the game. When I noticed that DA was the 3rd QB and noticed that Quinn averaged just over 6 yards a completion, a sick feeling came over me.

Leave the excuses at the door. Stand and deliver. Otherwise, BQ needs a change of scenery.

Anderson looked awful. Quinn looked much better. That is what you missed.

Who was it that said, "When you have two QBs, you have no QBs".

Being better than DA's putrid performance isn't going to do it for me.

From the raw numbers, the other QB played as well as, or better than, BQ.

Maybe, just maybe, Mangini will start the QB he knows best. Wouldn't that speak volumes???

Zombo's posting in a thread analying QB play from a particular game he didn't see?

Smart. Real Smart.

Go to a friend's house, watch the game on a TIVO replay, then come back and post with the big boys.

Seriously, I get your point on the QB's. However, the QB that you pine for that threw 29 TD's and 3,700 yards went 0 and 0 on those two stats respectively. Oh, but he did have a "1" in the INT column. DA looked pretty darn bad. Matter of fact, we haven't seen that guy but for one game in the past year and a half to 2 years. Might want to move on.

Quinn looked efficient. If our starting center doesn't hold on a FG attempt and our all pro WR catches a routine pass, Quinn would have put 10 points on the board.

All that said, the OL and defense looked pretty crappy so worrying about who starts at QB is probably the least of our concern.

Zombo's glad one of the QB's that threw a pick and scored 0 points looked better than the other QB that threw a pick and scored 0 points. We have a leader in the clubhouse ... congrats Quinnie.

Zombo's also glad he didn't watch that clunker of a game, I think it makes my analysis even sharper.

But Zombo's upset that he can't stop typing in third person.

Zombo sees that Ratliff score zero points too ... how did he look?

Zombo

Guest SoupDawg

Your a chump zombo

Your poor fatass can't even afford cable TV.

LOL, Jesus, even the steeler fans on this board rank above you man. I am sick of brown fan posers posting on this site.

I will paypal 50$ to have Zombo and LUmbergh banned. Dead serious. PM me for paypal.

I didn't watch the game, Zombo

--Not trying to be a dick .. ...

You aren't - you admitted you didn't see the game. Believe it or not I AGREE that Quinn needs to outplay DA by alot especially if I'm constantly talking about how easy that should be. That said, don't you think it's about time the guy with 27 starts to his name shows you an ounce of evidence he's progressed and learned from it all? 31 NFL Executives say he hasn't and so does a considerable amount of our fanbase.

I watched the game like everyone else voting for Quinn in this thread. I would say from the standpoint of MOVING the team - he vastly outplayed Dumb Ass. I'll get to the rest when I rip DA for looking like a wide eyed rookie that hasn't learnign 1 FLOCKING thing. He took the first drive down to the GB 11. Dawson would miss the field goal. Then he later drove us inside the 15 and launched a perfect strike between the 1 and the 7 on Braylon's chest in the end zone. You have the RIGHT receiver there and it's 7 points. WHERE have I heard this many times? From the DA fans so they should be the first ones to understand. The BIGGEST difference here is there was a perfect strike in the end zone before the INT. I won't use their gay double standard though - you CANNOT throw an INT there if you want to be a franchise QB. It's why we all want anything but DA.

I think the 2nd best QB I saw last night was Ratliff inspite of the 2 INTs. He moved us at times and I think he's smart enough to learn from his mistakes. One of his INTs went through the TE's hands first. It was a little high but I don't think it was uncatchable for many TEs in this league. Obviously, he needs a lot of work. That said, he got the inexperienced receivers which can make the QB look bad when these guys turn the wrong way, make an incorrect adjustment or whatever.

DA was a mess from mechanics to footwork to poise to pocket presence to accuracy to reads to leadership. You freakin name it. I REALLY appreciated the sky hook he added to his game. Maybe he was just throwing his boyfriend Loverboy a kiss. Look, I'm usually a HOMER that wants to see EVERY guy we're counting on emerging as successful. Those of you that saw this game, should really start contemplating who would make the best #2 QB.

In a perfect Utopian world it would be wonderful if we could just give him timing patterns to certain areas of the field. That's his strength. Reality? We play in a division with heated pass rushes so this isn't his Utopia.

- Tom F. (My how things change when that red no-contact jersey comes off the QB)

Your a chump zombo

Your poor fatass can't even afford cable TV.

LOL, Jesus, even the steeler fans on this board rank above you man. I am sick of brown fan posers posting on this site.

I will paypal 50$ to have Zombo and LUmbergh banned. Dead serious. PM me for paypal.

Awesome plan, Soupfag.

That's quite a bounty on my head. You sound like a big, tough guy that doesn't mess around.

I'm sure I'm getting banned now that Soupfag is upset that I didn't watch the game and is pledging his weekend blowjob money to make sure I never post again...

I can hear The Grim Reaper coming down the hallway ... Skippy? is that you? ... Rif? ... NO! NO! NO!

Zombo

--I'm banned. Soupfag took me down. Don't mess with Soupfag.

It seems as quite a few bevvies were consumed before, during and after this thread.

I can't beleive you folks are still arguing over this"competition"

Quinn showed all he needed to. DA and BE look as if someone hit the rewind button from last season and played it back last night.

I'll assume Mangini's scoring plays are top secret and he's waiting for regular season to display his works of wonder.

Guest Masters
I didn't watch the game, but I see where we scored zero points.

So Pro Bowler Anderson obviously still has the advantage.

He has accomplished something, whereas Quinn, in year three, still has done nothing...

Zombo

--Not trying to be a dick .. but if Quinn doesn't take "the bull by the horns" ... let's go with the guy that we KNOW can win 10, hit 29 and throw for 3,7000...

Pro Bowler DA who couldn't move the #1s against GB's #2.........

Quinn had two nice drives in his 2 posessions. The first stalled out near the red zone because Cribbs read the coverage wrong on 3rd down. A FG was kicked and good, but Fraley held and then the 2nd attempt was missed. That was 1s against 1s

With a 1:50 to go Quinn marched the team right down the field into scoring position, BE dropped a TD and next down Quinn made a mistake by doing that little jump throw, which cost him power on the throw, resulting in the DB cutting under and picking. That was mostly 1s against 2s.

Awesome plan, Soupfag.

That's quite a bounty on my head. You sound like a big, tough guy that doesn't mess around.

I'm sure I'm getting banned now that Soupfag is upset that I didn't watch the game and is pledging his weekend blowjob money to make sure I never post again...

I can hear The Grim Reaper coming down the hallway ... Skippy? is that you? ... Rif? ... NO! NO! NO!

Zombo

That's some funny stuff says hammertime. Oops.

Guest Masters
I've seen Derek Anderson throw for 5 TDs in an NFL game and I've seen absolutely nothing from Brady Quinn but a nice little loss to the worst defense in the NFL last year.

I am seriously not trying to be a dick ... but when does Brady Quinn start impressing me as a pro? I'm ready.

Zombo

And you have seen him throw 3 and 4 picks a game.

How many pro games has Quinn played in healthy? 1. How did he look in that game?

Who was it that said, "When you have two QBs, you have no QBs".

Being better than DA's putrid performance isn't going to do it for me.

From the raw numbers, the other QB played as well as, or better than, BQ.

Maybe, just maybe, Mangini will start the QB he knows best. Wouldn't that speak volumes???

You guys who haven't even SEEN THE GAME that are commenting on this are really starting to sound pretty foolish.

Ratliff looked like a week-old bag of ass, warmed over. But yeah, he still looked better than one of our "co-starters."

Guest SoupDawg
Awesome plan, Soupfag.

Zombo

Bounty lol. You call that an attempt to talk shit lol. God these old people crack me up

Im just sick of posing fans posting on this board.

You have no idea what your talking about, all you care about is your post count.

You aren't - you admitted you didn't see the game. Believe it or not I AGREE that Quinn needs to outplay DA by alot especially if I'm constantly talking about how easy that should be. That said, don't you think it's about time the guy with 27 starts to his name shows you an ounce of evidence he's progressed and learned from it all? 31 NFL Executives say he hasn't and so does a considerable amount of our fanbase.

I watched the game like everyone else voting for Quinn in this thread. I would say from the standpoint of MOVING the team - he vastly outplayed Dumb Ass. I'll get to the rest when I rip DA for looking like a wide eyed rookie that hasn't learnign 1 FLOCKING thing. He took the first drive down to the GB 11. Dawson would miss the field goal. Then he later drove us inside the 15 and launched a perfect strike between the 1 and the 7 on Braylon's chest in the end zone. You have the RIGHT receiver there and it's 7 points. WHERE have I heard this many times? From the DA fans so they should be the first ones to understand. The BIGGEST difference here is there was a perfect strike in the end zone before the INT. I won't use their gay double standard though - you CANNOT throw an INT there if you want to be a franchise QB. It's why we all want anything but DA.

I think the 2nd best QB I saw last night was Ratliff inspite of the 2 INTs. He moved us at times and I think he's smart enough to learn from his mistakes. One of his INTs went through the TE's hands first. It was a little high but I don't think it was uncatchable for many TEs in this league. Obviously, he needs a lot of work. That said, he got the inexperienced receivers which can make the QB look bad when these guys turn the wrong way, make an incorrect adjustment or whatever.

DA was a mess from mechanics to footwork to poise to pocket presence to accuracy to reads to leadership. You freakin name it. I REALLY appreciated the sky hook he added to his game. Maybe he was just throwing his boyfriend Loverboy a kiss. Look, I'm usually a HOMER that wants to see EVERY guy we're counting on emerging as successful. Those of you that saw this game, should really start contemplating who would make the best #2 QB.

In a perfect Utopian world it would be wonderful if we could just give him timing patterns to certain areas of the field. That's his strength. Reality? We play in a division with heated pass rushes so this isn't his Utopia.

- Tom F. (My how things change when that red no-contact jersey comes off the QB)

Ok, I lied. I WAS trying to be a dick. Sounds like Anderson was dreadful and Quinn showed promise but then threw a bad pick. OK Round One to Quinn.

Problem is, I've seen better catfights in the alley behind my house.

I just want somebody to step up and clearly earn the job with command of the offense, rather than the less of two evils.

There's really not much here to analyze here, which I think makes it totally appropriate that I didn't watch the game. There was nothing to see.

I hope it leads to a great week of practice and someone stepping up next weekend and showing us all he's going to take over this offense and win football games.

Personally, I hope it's Quinn. But if it's not, I don't know if I can take another week of pussies like Soupfag crying about it.

Boo hoo hoo ... he looked better ... if only Braylon caught that ball ...

Please, dear God, let a QB step up so that we fans can concentrate on the real reason why Pittsburgh and Baltimore own us: Defense.

Zombo

Other thoughts...

-You have to wonder how the offense would have faired if we didn't have this damn QB competition going on. Quinn moved the ball both times. Given more than two opportunities, we may have had some points on the board. If DA were the starter, maybe there would have been a chance for his rhythm to kick in (although, we know from 20+ starts his rhythm is present not often enough).

-The right side of the line looked terrible. St. Clair looked slow. I'm thinking Quinn's quick reads and medium range pass comfort zone may be crucial this year. Hanging in the pocket waiting for the deep out to develop may not be a go-to option.

-Quinn's feet were very quiet and calm while he progressed through his reads. Ratliff had rookie happy feet often.

-Our D isn't looking to good when Rogers isn't in there.

-I think we ought to give this new coaching staff a break on preseason game #1. A little patience.

Awesome plan, Soupfag.

Zombo

ROFLMAO

And you have seen him throw 3 and 4 picks a game.

How many pro games has Quinn played in healthy? 1. How did he look in that game?

That's just it: don't we think it's about time the guy with 27 starts to his name shows us an ounce of evidence he's progressed and learned from it all? 31 NFL Executives say he hasn't and so does a considerable amount of our fanbase.

I would have preferred to see us matching TDs with GB so Quinn wasn't where he needed to be either.

That said, when DA took snaps our offense looked like it was in quicksand. When Quinn played QB - we at least moved the changes and had some degree of time of possession to rest the defense.

Ratliff showed me some positive flashes and 1 of his INTs went rhough the receivers hands. Who knows if the other INT wasn't from one of the inexperienced receivers making the wrong turn or wrong route adjustment. It could have just been a poor throw, which happens this time of year.

I'd say the QB evaluations go like this:

Quinn = C-

Ratliff = D+

DA = F

Nobody made the honor roll but DA made the Dean's List - the SHIT list

The guy with 27 starts to his name needs to show me better footwork, poise, mechanics, pocket presence, reading skills, accuracy, vision and above all, flocking coherence.

Do you know how many organizations wouldn't even consider DA for a starting job? All 31 that told us so.

- Tom F. (I didn't talk about how unchallenged Green Bay's offense was last night. It was pretty disturbing though)

I say, he needs to "manage the game", "get us into the playoffs" and win atleast 1 playoff game (don't implode). Those are my "pie in the sky" lofty hopes...L oL

But from what I saw of the team yesterday...

UGH!

Guest SoupDawg
Ok, I lied. I WAS trying to be a dick. Sounds like Anderson was dreadful and Quinn showed promise but then threw a bad pick. OK Round One to Quinn.

Problem is, I've seen better catfights in the alley behind my house.

I just want somebody to step up and clearly earn the job with command of the offense, rather than the less of two evils.

There's really not much here to analyze here, which I think makes it totally appropriate that I didn't watch the game. There was nothing to see.

I hope it leads to a great week of practice and someone stepping up next weekend and showing us all he's going to take over this offense and win football games.

Personally, I hope it's Quinn. But if it's not, I don't know if I can take another week of pussies like Soupfag crying about it.

Boo hoo hoo ... he looked better ... if only Braylon caught that ball ...

Please, dear God, let a QB step up so that we fans can concentrate on the real reason why Pittsburgh and Baltimore own us: Defense.

Zombo

Way to keep up the post count with another useless post

I've seen Derek Anderson throw for 5 TDs in an NFL game and I've seen absolutely nothing from Brady Quinn but a nice little loss to the worst defense in the NFL last year.

I am seriously not trying to be a dick ... but when does Brady Quinn start impressing me as a pro? I'm ready.

Zombo

Wow dude, you sure are hung up on that 29 TDs, 3700 yds stat from 2007. Did you also forget the 19 INTs against one of the easiest schedules? You mention the 5 TD game, but what about the multiple 4 INT games between 2006 and 2007? What about the fact that all his wins, except ONE, were against losing teams? You love DA's stats, but he was 0-3 as a starter in 2006, 10-5 in '07, and 3-6 in '08. Seems to me that he does not bring a winning record as a starter to the table. Seems to me the fluke year for him is '07, and you want to hang the team's future on that? Quinn only has 3 games to his name. Its time that we at least see what Quinn can do so that a decision can be made at the end of the year as to whether a QB needs to be drafted or not.

We know what Anderson can do, Quinn has done nothing ... what am I missing?

Zombo

--Brady Quinn, we all love you, DO SOMETHING...

Yeah, we saw it yesterday. Throw two passes, both of which should have been intercepted, one of which was.

Great xxxxing quarterbacking display right there!

Quinn. I watched the way he acted when he'd drop back. He reminds me of Tom Brady in the way he looks. Now I'm not saying he's another Tom Brady. He just looks like him with the way he seems calm and poised, for the most part.

Quinn LOOKS like a QB whereas DA looks like he's panicking a lot.

Archived