THE BROWNS BOARD

Evaluate the QBs

chumpchange

Ok, I lied. I WAS trying to be a dick. Sounds like Anderson was dreadful and Quinn showed promise but then threw a bad pick. OK Round One to Quinn.

Problem is, I've seen better catfights in the alley behind my house.

I just want somebody to step up and clearly earn the job with command of the offense, rather than the less of two evils.

There's really not much here to analyze here, which I think makes it totally appropriate that I didn't watch the game. There was nothing to see.

I hope it leads to a great week of practice and someone stepping up next weekend and showing us all he's going to take over this offense and win football games.

Personally, I hope it's Quinn. But if it's not, I don't know if I can take another week of pussies like Soupfag crying about it.

Boo hoo hoo ... he looked better ... if only Braylon caught that ball ...

Please, dear God, let a QB step up so that we fans can concentrate on the real reason why Pittsburgh and Baltimore own us: Defense.

Zombo

This is where I can completely agree with you. But I really think this year needs to be Quinn under center. Its time to find out what he can do over a full season. We all know what DA can, and cannot do. If Quinn isn't the guy to be the face of the franchise, then that guy will need to be drafted/acquired in the offseason.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen Derek Anderson throw for 5 TDs in an NFL game and I've seen absolutely nothing from Brady Quinn but a nice little loss to the worst defense in the NFL last year.

I am seriously not trying to be a dick ... but when does Brady Quinn start impressing me as a pro? I'm ready.

Zombo

Since you didn't watch the game...Anderson was horrible last night..I'm watching the game right now. Seriously he was just as bad as his worst performance at any point. That half a season and a great 5 td game (against a shitty Bengals team) are so far in the past with him it's not even funny. Quinn might not be the long term answer but Anderson is not even a decent backup in this league. I hope the guy knows how to invest his giant contract because he's not much better than Charlie Frye.

The interception Quinn threw was a crappy pass...it a little behind Edwards (who didn't help much in trying ot fight for the ball) but the pass on the play before was perfect and Edwards dropped it, just like last season.

Watch the game next week or watch the replay at some point this week and then I'd love to see how you can justify starting Anderson over Quinn this season.

So then I very much disgree with what I hope was you just being a dick.

I already admitted I was trying to be a dick, apparently I mastered that task.

If Quinn looked good other than that one pick, then that's a good sign.

But I really thought both QBs would show us more. Nobody reporting from the practices is reporting any "wow" effect with either QB as well.

Maybe as long as I'm being a dick, I should be the first one to call out Brian "What's in Dabol, bitch?". You've got three more weeks to get this offense clicking, Squirt.

Brown's Offense has now not scored a TD in seven games over two years and five different QBs. It's ugly, ugly stuff. I reserve the right to be a penis until somebody does something about something someway somehow.

Zombo

--Did Bartel play? If so, make that 6 QBs since our last TD...

Since you didn't watch the game...Anderson was horrible last night..I'm watching the game right now. Seriously he was just as bad as his worst performance at any point. That half a season and a great 5 td game (against a shitty Bengals team) are so far in the past with him it's not even funny. Quinn might not be the long term answer but Anderson is not even a decent backup in this league. I hope the guy knows how to invest his giant contract because he's not much better than Charlie Frye.

The interception Quinn threw was a crappy pass...it a little behind Edwards (who didn't help much in trying ot fight for the ball) but the pass on the play before was perfect and Edwards dropped it, just like last season.

Watch the game next week or watch the replay at some point this week and then I'd love to see how you can justify starting Anderson over Quinn this season.

Good points Mark!

I gotta hand it to Zombo - the entertainment level went through the roof when he showed up. I forgot all about the QBs for a happy second or two.

Unfortunately, our offense looks like quick sand when DA is leading it. Hopefully, we will become the 32nd NFL team to see this very soon. I've got my fingers and toes crossed.

All I can think of for poor Loverboy are those lyrics by John Cougar: "When the walls come tumbling down" or we could go old school with Neil Diamond's "Love on the rocks"

- Tom F.

Acutally I was hoping BOTH QBs came out and played well. I was hoping to read about a few long passes for strikes by DA and Quinn moving the offense.

I agree niether played well enough for us to be encouraged.

As for Dabol AND Mangini. The one thing I will say is. Who ever they deem to win this competition at the end. I hope the actually then taylor the offense to suit that guy. Don't expect DA to go through a 7 step drop with multiple reads, and underneath crossing routes. Give him 3 step drops and seam and go routes. Let him be a gunslinger, I'd actually say that's part of DA's problem right now. It's mental. He's no longer a gunslinging QB with an accurate cannon. He's trying to fit into the mold that others want him to be. and I am just not sure he can do that.

On DA, that's exactly right. Look at Brett Favre when he was with the packers. He flourished in a west coast offense. He kept his gunslinging ways, and still won. I think Mangini should let DA be DA.

To me its hands down that BQ should be named the starter today and let's get this thing rolling. Give BQ all the reps to start getting his timing down with the #1's.

Tivo the game last night and watched it and thought BQ was overly impressive. Led the team in 2 drives down in GB territory and yes he threw a pick but no QB is perfect and they all make mistakes. BQ will be here for a long time, the kid is a gamer. We all know what we have in DA and BR is a good #2 and that's it. It was the first game and they are still learning EM system so just hang in there and everything will turn out just fine.

Who was it that said, "When you have two QBs, you have no QBs".

Being better than DA's putrid performance isn't going to do it for me.

From the raw numbers, the other QB played as well as, or better than, BQ.

Maybe, just maybe, Mangini will start the QB he knows best. Wouldn't that speak volumes???

Again, WATCH THE GAME FIRST before you give an opinion. You lose all credibility in anything you say.

But I really thought both QBs would show us more. Nobody reporting from the practices is reporting any "wow" effect with either QB as well.

Maybe as long as I'm being a dick, I should be the first one to call out Brian "What's in Dabol, bitch?". You've got three more weeks to get this offense clicking, Squirt.

Brown's Offense has now not scored a TD in seven games over two years and five different QBs. It's ugly, ugly stuff. I reserve the right to be a penis until somebody does something about something someway somehow.

Zombo

How can any QB we have ever "SHOW YOU SOMETHING" if you don't even WATCH THE GAMES!? LOL

Stop reading and imagining what happend and WATCH with your own eyes. Then, and only then, will you actually have a valid opinion.

Z, I knew you were pot stirring, but Quinn looked better in the scrimmage and a LOT better last night. I just watched my Tivo of the first half and he was really sharp... just got preseason victimized by Fraley and Edwards. He should've been 8 of 11 for a TD and 10 points on two straight scoring drives.

But it isn't the stats that matter: He looked pretty damn good. I think he's solidly ahead now.

Amen there, Shepster. And what's with Edwards- the guy just flat out drops too many easy catches in my book to be the long term solution as the Browns #1 WR. He makes the first catch in the endzone and Fraley doesn't hold, it's Quinn by KO in round one.

How can any QB we have ever "SHOW YOU SOMETHING" if you don't even WATCH THE GAMES!? LOL

Stop reading and imagining what happend and WATCH with your own eyes. Then, and only then, will you actually have a valid opinion.

Hey D-Bag, I haven't missed a regular season game in decades and haven't missed a preseason game since we came back in 99.

I will watch this one too ... but it's 2009 and there are things called Tivo, NFL Network and the Internet.

I live in Naples, Florida, the MILF capital of the world. I spent my Saturday night with a chick that would melt your face off while you were analyzing Brady Quinn's buffness.

At some point this week I'll watch the game just so my opinion is valid enough that when I observe that not scoring isn't a good thing for anybody on the offense ... you will feel good about it because I actually watched them not score instead of catching highlights of them not scoring and reading about them not scoring and hearing eveyone and their brother's opinion of them not scoring.

Zombo

--Something tells me you are an expert when it comes to not scoring...

Z, I knew you were pot stirring, but Quinn looked better in the scrimmage and a LOT better last night. I just watched my Tivo of the first half and he was really sharp... just got preseason victimized by Fraley and Edwards. He should've been 8 of 11 for a TD and 10 points on two straight scoring drives.

But it isn't the stats that matter: He looked pretty damn good. I think he's solidly ahead now.

Mangini says there is a ways to go in the competition, I imagine we'll get a longer look at both of them next week and less of Ratlips.

I'm concerned that neither QB could get us in the end zone and that the defense gave up TDs on the first two drives.

But, what do I know, I didn't watch the game. I'm sure we did a lot more than just suck. I'm glad Quinn didn't look too bad other than his pick. But I'd really feel better if both QBs looked comfortable and led scoring drives.

Zombo

Zombo

Dang zombo BQ had 3 points in his first drive taken way by frail one's penalty and a missed 41 yard FG and then robbed again of a TD in his second drive by scissorhands those failed scores are not his fault scissorhands did nothing to to try and prevent the pick which was BQs fault some are already thinking BE done it on purpose because everyone knows BE is a DA guy and he isnt being challenged for the no.1 slot...;)

Now DA was absurd in every sense of the word for everyone whom has eyes to see..maybe he will pick it up next week but i wouldnt bet on it...;)

Apparently,

"Little Zombo" did more scoring last night than the Browns did.

Sighh . . . Zombo and his completely straight priorities.

Edit to clarify:

QUOTE (Zombo @ Aug 16 2009, 03:30 PM)

I live in Naples, Florida, the MILF capital of the world. I spent my Saturday night with a chick that would melt your face off while you were analyzing Brady Quinn's buffness.

Hey D-Bag, I haven't missed a regular season game in decades and haven't missed a preseason game since we came back in 99.

I will watch this one too ... but it's 2009 and there are things called Tivo, NFL Network and the Internet.

At some point this week I'll watch the game just so my opinion is valid enough that when I observe that not scoring isn't a good thing for anybody on the offense ... you will feel good about it because I actually watched them not score instead of catching highlights of them not scoring and reading about them not scoring and hearing eveyone and their brother's opinion of them not scoring.

Zombo

ROTFLMAO! This is a classic thread!

- Tom F.

some are already thinking BE done it on purpose because everyone knows BE is a DA guy and he isnt being challenged for the no.1 slot...;)

I think Braylon has something to prove this season - preseason included. He needs to show he has hands and will play for the team. I don't think he'll be pulling stunts where he drops the ball just to give DA a leg up in the QB competition. He needs to prove that he is marketable as a WR - otherwise, he won't be making much $$ next year.

I think BQ was better than DA - but you can't choose the starter based on one preseason game. Give them an equal shot in the next game and then make the decision on who the starter is.

Of course, I think this was the easier game for DA to play - we all know CBS is not a friendly environment for him after last year.

Zombo - Barty didn't play. I think Mangini wanted to give Ratliff the opportunity to perform. Sadly, we just got 2 INTs out of him.

I'm not sure theres much of a question here.

If Braylon catches that TD, we're talking about a near flawless performance by Brady Quinn save a few things here and there, and him basically blowing the gates off the competition.

Now all he's gotta do is hang steady wit DA for the next 2 games and he's our starter.

What I find most amusing about the QB battle on our beloved board here, is that now Anderception has to play lights out against Detroit, something that Lumbag has been fagging on Quinn for for the past 2 seasons.

Next week, Detroit matters. :lol:

For the rest of us in reality, Quinn seals a solid performance if he throws the 3rd down into the cheap seats rather than into coverage. Coming back after a dropped TD with a FG or a TD on 4th down locks Quinn as starter, changes the stat books significantly, and ends the QB competition (or should).

DA isn't even a consideration anymore. He played like he did in the Pro-Bowl: Clueless in an offense he's supposed to know.

So many of you are missing the point here... Quinn vs Anderson is not our priority: we saw so many mishaps and problems at our GB exhibition on defense and offense that need to be addressed.

5 fricken pages! Give me a break.

Detroit, the team that went 0-16 last year, freakin BEAT THE FALCONS. Thats a lot more than we can say. Meanwhile, we fail to score a point against a team missing several of their best players due to injuries. Hell, we couldn't even score against their No. 2 defense.

Our defense was laughably pathetic last night too. I swear GB averaged 6-7 yards a run, and their QBs had time to knit a sweater in the pocket.

And here all of you are bickering on all this shitty Quinn-DA crap. I sure as hell hope that Mangini has more foresight to focus on what really matters than the majority of you guys do.

I don't mind a quarterback competition, but it seems at this point, whoever the starter is NEEDS all the first team reps.

I though BE's comment was very telling. He apparently said he was used to having to jump, but on Brady's throw, he didn't need to and he shouldn't have. Thus, the interception.

That sort of timing issue needs to be addressed, and the receivers need to practice with the starter and get used to his style, not constantly move between two QBs. They're never going to establish a rhythm and chemistry that way.

I don't mind a quarterback competition, but it seems at this point, whoever the starter is NEEDS all the first team reps.

I though BE's comment was very telling. He apparently said he was used to having to jump, but on Brady's throw, he didn't need to and he shouldn't have. Thus, the interception.

That sort of timing issue needs to be addressed, and the receivers need to practice with the starter and get used to his style, not constantly move between two QBs. They're never going to establish a rhythm and chemistry that way.

BE dropped the football.

What was telling was 17-0.

Its preseason, don't read too much into it.

I agree preseason is for getting timing and rhythm down and at this point DA is seriously outclassed BQ looks good moving the ball and calling the right audibles and mangina needs to name BQ the starter and quit screwing around and get to work he will find out why this weekend if DA makes even a minor mistake mangina will get to experience the passionate wrath of the fans instead of the passion...

We dont know for sure if BQ is the answer but we would sure as hell like to find out but most of us know for sure DA is not and never was the answer and its hard to sell tickets to a losing teams games with an unpopular quarterback...i dont even see the unimproved hot and cold DA as a real option anymore...

I didn't watch the game, but I see where we scored zero points.

So Pro Bowler Anderson obviously still has the advantage.

He has accomplished something, whereas Quinn, in year three, still has done nothing...

Zombo

--Not trying to be a dick .. but if Quinn doesn't take "the bull by the horns" ... let's go with the guy that we KNOW can win 10, hit 29 and throw for 3,7000...

You said it all right there, you didnt watch the game, anyone who watched the game knew who looked like hed been playing football longer.

So many of you are missing the point here... Quinn vs Anderson is not our priority: we saw so many mishaps and problems at our GB exhibition on defense and offense that need to be addressed.

5 fricken pages! Give me a break.

Detroit, the team that went 0-16 last year, freakin BEAT THE FALCONS. Thats a lot more than we can say. Meanwhile, we fail to score a point against a team missing several of their best players due to injuries. Hell, we couldn't even score against their No. 2 defense.

Our defense was laughably pathetic last night too. I swear GB averaged 6-7 yards a run, and their QBs had time to knit a sweater in the pocket.

And here all of you are bickering on all this shitty Quinn-DA crap. I sure as hell hope that Mangini has more foresight to focus on what really matters than the majority of you guys do.

Duly noted. But that properly belongs in another thread. An appropriate title would be "Browns Defense still blows dead Worms". 392 net yards. 230 yards allowed rushing. That will win you zero games in the NFL.

Zombo

LOL, a bit testy are we? I'm happy for ya Zombo. You can have the Milf's, too old for me. Just remember to take your Viagra old man. ;)

Archived