THE BROWNS BOARD

2021 Browns Depth Chart

Zombo

OK, time for the focus to turn from Free Agency to the Draft, so let's see how we line up:

QB B.Mayfield, C. Keenum, K. Lauletta

FB A. Janovich, J. Stanton

RB  N. Chubb,  K. Hunt,  D. Johnson, J. Kelly

WR1  O. Beckham,  D. Peoples-Jones,  K. Hodge, J. Natson

WR2 J. Landry,  R. Higgins,  J. Bradley, R. Switzer, A.Hollins

TE  A. Hooper, D. Njoku, H. Bryant , S. Carlson , K. Markway, J. Franks

LT J. Wills,  A. Taylor, G. Senat

LG J. Bitonio , B. Hance, A. Fabiano 

C J.Tretter , N. Harris

RG  W. Teller ,  M. Dunn, C. Iwuagwu

RT J. Conklin,  C. Hubbard 

DE M. Garrett, J. Jackson, C. Malveaux

DT  S. Richardson, J. Elliott

DT  M. Jackson, A. Billings

DE  T. McKinley,  P. Gustin,   

MLB A. Walker, S. Takitaki, M. Wilson

OLB  M. Smith, J. Phillips, E. Lee, T. Young, G. Obinna, C. Weaver

CB D. Ward, A.J. Green,

CB  G. Williams, R. Jackson, B. Allen

NB  T. Hill,  MJ Stewart

FS  R. Harrison, G Delpit, J. Moffat, E. Benton

SS  J. Johnson, S. Redwine,  M. Meander

K  C. Parkey, M. McCrane

P  J. Gillan

LS  C. Hughlett

KR  (J. Natson)(D. Johnson)

PR  (J. Natson)(D. Peoples-Jones) 

Just my opinion of the 55 (in bold) that would make up our roster as of today and who I see starting after camp ... A LOT of names still to be added and jockeying for position, so consider it just a pre-draft pencilling it at this point to help with draft needs ... When we start practicing it gets real.

Biggest Draft Needs IMO:

1. Edge/DE (Find Garret's future running mate)

2. DT (Only Elliot under contract for next year)

3. WR (always need another Burner)

4. CB (Lacking depth/ Greedy insurance)

5. OL (interior depth)

6. LB (Keep drafting mid round guys until we find the right guy)

Zombo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Time to can the FB . Every time Janowiff  went in he missed his blocks or he got in the way. It made an obvious play for the defense 

The position isn’t going anywhere.

But  If a mid late round perfect scheme fit player emerges maybe you draft another. 

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

OK, time for the focus to turn from Free Agency to the Draft, so let's see how we line up:

Just my opinion of the 55 (in bold) that would make up our roster as of today and who I see starting after camp ... A LOT of names still to be added and jockeying for position, so consider it just a pre-draft pencilling it at this point to help with draft needs ... When we start practicing it gets real.

Biggest Draft Needs IMO:

5. OL (interior depth)

Zombo

I had to check- our missing (pal) Sendejo is a FA- and he's not coming back. 

Other than that, I'll put Bryant ahead of Njoku on the TE depth chart.  Also- I'm putting stud LB as our #1 draft need. I'm OK with everything else. 

We don't have Kendall Lamm anymore.  He wasn't bad...except he'd get injured 5 minutes after having to put him in.

I think Greedy will have some work to do to be CB2.

4 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

Time to can the FB . Every time Janowiff  went in he missed his blocks or he got in the way. It made an obvious play for the defense 

I agree.  Seems they played less and less.  I would rather have another receiver or both Chubb and  Hunt on the field at the same time.  Fullbacks are a waste of space IMO.

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

QB.

I think we should Draft a late round developmental type.

I’ve seen Lauletta he’s not it.

Keenum 6M a year.  He’s not affordable if tough decisions have to be made next offseason. 

We can probably keep Keenum a while, but we would be wise to keep drafting a QB ever couple of years.  Keep that a rollover position.  Go with a guy as the 3rd string for a few years.  If he can't beat the back-up in camp, go with a new prospect.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

we would be wise to keep drafting a QB ever couple of years. 

Most important position on the field.  Ya just might find a gem.  I agree with later round flyers on a big, tall drink of water with a rocket arm.   Bring him in to camp.  Maybe get him on the PS.  Maybe you see he's not worth keeping.  Maybe he sets new passing records.  Who knows...

• Upvote 2

Biggest Draft Needs IMO:

5. OL (interior depth)

Zombo

Are we considering an "OLB"  as an "edge" guy?   So that by edge you would include an OLB, and by LB you basically mean an MLB? 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Other than that, I'll put Bryant ahead of Njoku on the TE depth chart.  Also- I'm putting stud LB as our #1 draft need. I'm OK with everything else. 

Same question....by stud LB are you talking  hybrid  DE/OLB....or a run stuffing MLB. 

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I agree.  Seems they played less and less.  I would rather have another receiver or both Chubb and  Hunt on the field at the same time.  Fullbacks are a waste of space IMO.

Mack and Byner....both could block like hell.  Can't Chubb/Hunt be the same way? 

24 minutes ago, Orion said:

Most important position on the field.  Ya just might find a gem.  I agree with later round flyers on a big, tall drink of water with a rocket arm.   Bring him in to camp.  Maybe get him on the PS.  Maybe you see he's not worth keeping.  Maybe he sets new passing records.  Who knows...

Got any names? 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Mack and Byner....both could block like hell.  Can't Chubb/Hunt be the same way? 

That could detract from them getting a 'breather'.  But I'd like to see them both on the field sometimes...and run from the formation sometimes.

- Remember the pads they wore back in those days?  Big honking shoulder pads.  Pads everywhere.  Now they hardly wear any pads.  I swear they got hurt less back then.

Couple notes on the OP...

• OL - Fabs offers OG/C versatility that neither Hance nor Harris do.
  • WR - I can't see JoJo sticking... his return game simply not enough of a threat to justify a roster spot. We can improve on him significantly for the price of a Day 3 pick.
  • DL - nitpickin' here, but Gustin should see more "starts" than Tak simply by virtue of being the better run defender in their rotational pairing.
  • LB - not sure I can handle another year of Wilson... and by the end of Day 2 of the Draft, I don't think I'll have to...

And one on the QB discussion...

The closer we get to contention the more vital it is to have a backup who can step in and win a couple starts. That's Keenum... now and for the foreseeable future and there's no Day 3 prospect that's gonna change that.

Day 2? Maybe by 2022... if we land the right darkhorse... ;)

26 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

WR - I can't see JoJo sticking... his return game simply not enough of a threat to justify a roster spot

Yup.  Two buts.  But they brought him in last year too.  But Peoples-Jones under punts scares me.

30 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Couple notes on the OP...

• WR - I can't see JoJo sticking... his return game simply not enough of a threat to justify a roster spot. We can improve on him significantly for the price of a Day 3 pick.
  • DL - nitpickin' here, but Gustin should see more "starts" than Tak simply by virtue of being the better run defender in their rotational pairing.
  • LB - not sure I can handle another year of Wilson... and by the end of Day 2 of the Draft, I don't think I'll have to...

And one on the QB discussion...

The closer we get to contention the more vital it is to have a backup who can step in and win a couple starts. That's Keenum... now and for the foreseeable future and there's no Day 3 prospect that's gonna change that.

Day 2? Maybe by 2022... if we land the right darkhorse... ;)

WR group with no other moves we would have OBJ, Landry, Higgins, DPJ, Hodge.  Are we keeping 6?

DL- I think we need a Day 1 and Day 2 pick in the rotation next season and we need to develop talent for 2022 big time 

LB- I hear ya...Wilson should have been gone yesterday.

QB- Keenum is here this coming season and he’s a great insurance policy.  Next season cap hit is around 7M and the dead cap number is around 1.5.  He’s probably worth keeping in 2022 too but it Might be sound to develop someone this coming season we have a great FO maybe we uncover a Gardner Minshew 6th round 2019,  Kyle Allen undrafted type prospect sooner rather than later.  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Completely different game now. In A LOT of cases now, RBs aren't even taught the techniques required to block.

Not that there is anything wrong with today vs. past, but now so much of a lot of even high school offenses is getting guys in space. And in a majority of those cases, there is no semblance of a FB, which cuts out the need for those coaches from even attempting to teach backs how to block. Conversely, it's why guys in certain systems don't transition well to the next level even with all the success in the world. 

Moreover, a majority of recruitment now has less to do with what happens on the field, but what is written on the roster and what flashes on the stopwatch.

Some of it works out great, and some terrible. I have seen more than once with a kid who has either never played a HS down (or even a down of football period) have P5 offers based ENTIRELY on those measurables. 

Sure, FB may be a dying art, but they are certainly beneficial for teams that use them in their system. And almost certainly that they have either been at FB for the majority of their football life (so in the correct system to utilize that skillset), or have converted from OL/TE/H Back where that was their primary focus 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Completely different game now. In A LOT of cases now, RBs aren't even taught the techniques required to block.

Not that there is anything wrong with today vs. past, but now so much of a lot of even high school offenses is getting guys in space. And in a majority of those cases, there is no semblance of a FB, which cuts out the need for those coaches from even attempting to teach backs how to block. Conversely, it's why guys in certain systems don't transition well to the next level even with all the success in the world. 

Moreover, a majority of recruitment now has less to do with what happens on the field, but what is written on the roster and what flashes on the stopwatch.

Some of it works out great, and some terrible. I have seen more than once with a kid who has either never played a HS down (or even a down of football period) have P5 offers based ENTIRELY on those measurables. 

Sure, FB may be a dying art, but they are certainly beneficial for teams that use them in their system. And almost certainly that they have either been at FB for the majority of their football life (so in the correct system to utilize that skillset), or have converted from OL/TE/H Back where that was their primary focus 

I would have thought that in today's game versatility  would be the desired  traits in a RB:   the ability to run, obviously,  catch....and block.  I mean, in this salary cap era, versatility should be encouraged.   Seems also like it could save a roster spot that could be used elsewhere.  I know that Zeke Elliot  was/is a model of versatility when he came out.  Great runner, great pass catcher, great blocker.  Don't know if he still does all that.   But that seems a perfect model for today's game.

• Upvote 1

I would have thought that in today's game versatility  would be the desired  traits in a RB:   the ability to run, obviously,  catch....and block.  I mean, in this salary cap era, versatility should be encouraged.   Seems also like it could save a roster spot that could be used elsewhere.  I know that Zeke Elliot  was/is a model of versatility when he came out.  Great runner, great pass catcher, great blocker.  Don't know if he still does all that.   But that seems a perfect model for today's game.

Agree.

And We beat the Steelers in Week 17 with Hunt as a lead blocker.  He’s not too bad of pass catcher either.  The next week Chubb beat them on a catch and run and Hunt did it on the ground.

We are very fortunate to have two well rounded backs - although different running styles.

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

Bryant ahead of NoJoke is reasonable ... he was ahead of him last year.

But it seemed at the end of the season Harrison was tailing off and The Chief was coming on. And they wouldn't have guaranteed his $6 if they weren't gonna utilize him.

With last year's draft guys: TE Bryant, S Delpit, LB Phillips and DT Elliot I am in "show me" mode. Let's see what you can do now with a year under your belt. If they all became starters that would be great for the team, so we will see.

Z

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Biggest Draft Needs IMO:

5. OL (interior depth)

Zombo

Are we considering an "OLB"  as an "edge" guy?   So that by edge you would include an OLB, and by LB you basically mean an MLB? 

On our team, an Edge rusher would play DE. By linebacker I mean linebacker, inside and outside.

Zombo

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

OL - I think they like Harris as the heir apparent at C, so he sticks. So Fabs falls in with Hance and Dunn, I think one of them sticks and the other spot goes to a draft pick.

WR - JoJo Dancer makes my team right now, but I also listed Burner WR as a key need, so if we can get, say a thrid rounder that can be a kicker returner and home run threat, then bye bye JoJo

DL- Kind of the same discussion I had with Tia regarding Jackson and Billings, I'm listing guys that I see getting more snaps, not necessarily lining up with the first team on the first play. Draft is going to change DL the most IMO.

LB- Ya, not of fan of Mack, right now he's my 5th linebacker, so he's vulnerable.

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

On our team, an Edge rusher would play DE. By linebacker I mean linebacker, inside and outside.

Zombo

Isn't it fair to say that in some systems an OLB and a DE can be interchangeable? 

I guess, bottom line:  yes, getting an "Edge rusher"  is a need,  whatever label is applied to him...or her. 

If you assess the snap counts over the course of last year...and God willing we get off the field more on defense...we need bodies up front that can play and contribute Starting September 2021. Myles is playing most of the time (he’s your “starter”) everyone else shuttles in and out. 

I see 6 DE/DT that I think we all feel comfortable  getting meaningful time and this is assuming they are all healthy throughout the year.

Woods likes pressure with 4 most of the time. It ain’t easy being a big ugly upfront in a passing league and when the Browns have leads. You are chasing Lamar and Burrow four times a year too.

DE and DT on Day 1 and 2 please 

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Isn't it fair to say that in some systems an OLB and a DE can be interchangeable? 

I guess, bottom line:  yes, getting an "Edge rusher"  is a need,  whatever label is applied to him...or her. 

On third down and obvious pass down we can bring an “edge rusher” might be OLB hybrid type lined off the edge.  We don’t really have a backer that fits that mold.  

16 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

On third down and obvious pass down we can bring an “edge rusher” might be OLB hybrid type lined off the edge.  We don’t really have a backer that fits that mold.  

I think with the right coaching, J Phillips can fulfill that role. Speed, size and a good first step.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The Gipper said:

There is a difference in a pass blocking back and a FB as a run blocker. 

That's not to say that any of these guys CAN'T do the job, just that to try and compare to a different era of the game doesn't translate into it. Someone like Hunt for example could be able to do the job, but it also could be a detriment to his value. Sure, you would then have a more skilled player on the field more, but the accumulated hits isn't easy on the body for 1, and when Hunt and/or Chubb need a breather, instead of replacing with the other fresher guy, you are then either using your 3rd guy or a less fresh Chubb/Hunt. Even if Hunt as the example can do it sporadically, I wouldn't want to do it for multiple games. 

Now, if the goal is to have both on the field together more often in similar ways as currently played, then that is a different discussion, as they wouldn't be a fullback.

I don't have actual numbers, but what you would have seen 30 years ago and further back is a huge majority of teams throughout HS and college running predominantly run offenses (I, Wishbone, Wing offenses, etc). It would be rare to see a spread, West Coast, etc. And that produced the use of blocking backs.