THE BROWNS BOARD

Clowney is a Brownie

Vambo

1 hour ago, runyon27 said:

I am cautiously optimistic with this signing. Keeping him healthy I think will be the key. He can be very disruptive when on field. Even without getting sacks he is up there in QB pressures and he is very good against the run which I hope will come into play against the Ravens. I think this signing doesn't mean we have to reach on an edge player and let the draft fall to us. I would prefer one of the better LBs if possible but would be fine with the top defensive player available regardless of position in the 1st round.

I love the signing. We now have a brilliantly improved depth chart to look at. The defensive line rotation looks

like a kick ass unit. But absolutely nailed it you did - "Top defensive player available regardless of position" - I'm fine with it.

so different now:

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CLE

15 minutes ago, Orion said:

....good to see Gustin moving further down the depth chart.  Nothing against him, it just means that our talent depth is improving.

And I think Jackson will start the season 1st team DT ahead of Billings.

Browns sign Jadeveon Clowney, stamping NFL’s smartest free agency class

Charles Robinson

Wed, April 14, 2021, 12:30 PM·3 min read.      At Yahoo sports .......

If you’re handing out an offseason trophy for talent retention, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have locked up the title. If you’re awarding points for smart and patient bargain shopping for meaningful talent, the Cleveland Browns have edged everyone in the NFL, including the piggy-bank-breaking New England Patriots.

After adding a multitude of starting-level pieces for some reasonable contracts, the Browns plucked one more on Wednesday, signing talented-but-often-bewildering defensive end Jadeveon Clowney to a one-year contract for $8 million (with incentives that could push the deal to $10 million). It’s the culmination of a pursuit that failed last year, when the Browns offered Clowney a handful of different contract options, only to watch him take a one-year deal with the Tennessee Titans

Despite missing out on Clowney last season and then watching him struggle through a knee injury, Browns general manager Andrew Berry didn’t sour on the defensive end, still believing that Cleveland represents the right fit to reset Clowney’s career.

Courtship, study of Clowney has been going on for years 

A source familiar with the deal told Yahoo Sports that Berry has been watching Clowney closely going back to his days in the Philadelphia Eagles' personnel department. The Eagles briefly considered trading for Clowney in the summer of 2018, when the Houston Texans ultimately dealt him to the Seattle Seahawks. It was during that period of vetting — and then watching his tape again as the Browns' general manager — that Berry began to feel like Clowney would be an ideal fit opposite defensive end Myles Garrett. A Browns source said that’s ultimately what Berry had in mind when he pursued Clowney last offseason, believing that Garrett and Clowney would be an ideal pairing to push each other on the field and in the meeting room.A

That ultimately never came to fruition, with Clowney signing in Tennessee. A source said Berry continued to keep tabs on him, knowing that he might be an economical free agency option following the 2020 pandemic season, particularly if Clowney would sign a one-year “prove it” deal. That’s precisely what this week’s signing represents: An opportunity for Clowney to revive his career and showcase his fit in a Browns defense that is continuing to add speed and scheme flexibility.

....... continued at Yahoo sports......     It's worth it !

1 hour ago, Orion said:

....good to see Gustin moving further down the depth chart.  Nothing against him, it just means that our talent depth is improving.

Just noticed this on the link:

FREE AGENTS / CAP CASUALTIES
FACC 94 CLAYBORN, ADRIAN CC 93 Goodson, BJ UFA 18 Hall, Marvin UFA 54 VERNON, OLIVIER UFA 23 SENDEJO, ANDREW UFA
FACC 10

Taylor, Taywan UFA

None of these guys are signed yet.  Any chance any of them stick With the Browns? Would resigning Vernon actually be a smart move? 

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Just noticed this on the link:

FREE AGENTS / CAP CASUALTIES
FACC 94 CLAYBORN, ADRIAN CC 93 Goodson, BJ UFA 18 Hall, Marvin UFA 54 VERNON, OLIVIER UFA 23 SENDEJO, ANDREW UFA
FACC 10

Taylor, Taywan UFA

None of these guys are signed yet.  Any chance any of them stick With the Browns? Would resigning Vernon actually be a smart move? 

I don't think those guys are in the plans going forward. 

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Agree....I mean, if they want another edge I think they would draft one rather than bring Olivier back. 

Vernon could/should be available at the start of the season in case we have someone go down.  But keep in mind he’s older and recovering from an Achilles in late December- how effective do folks think he will be in 2021? 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

Regarding covid- I don't see that being an issue for NFL teams 2021, certainly not to the extent it was last year. Unless players and coaches are being dum-dums or antivaxxers, they should all be vaccinated before training camp starts.  But as I like to say 95% effective isn't 100% effective. 

We bought in a body Vag. Checking Spotrac- they have him as #73 in edge salary obligation. We certainly didn't overpay for what's likely a one year rent-a-player.  

And I noticed you still have TJ Watt on his rookie deal- get ready to pay up, or he's heading for greener $$$ pastures next year, just like Steven Nelson and Bud Dupree did. Remains to be seen if keeping Ben around for a last hurrah is going to be worth it. FWIW, Bleacher report has you as one of the top 5 teams in the league on the verge of imminent collapse.  Hmmm, you have a guy  I never heard of as your only center, (duck Ben) and Joe Haden is running on fumes at CB.  

Larry my good man, you are straight up talking out of those clappy butt cheeks of yours with this one.  Steven Nelson was released and the rumor at the time was because he didn't want to compete with Sutton for starter reps opposite Haden.  He also wanted more money which he rightfully earned with his play.  However to say he went to greener pastures is factually untrue.  He wanted to stay but the team has been grooming sutton and it's now his time.  Haden is most definitely not running on fumes, maybe you will see a decline this season as he gets another year older but one fact with haden remains.  You all cut him loose entirely too soon or much like Nelson just didn't want to pay him and he left.  Has Nelson even signed a new contract with someone? 

Dupree was always going to be gone at that's just good drafting.  The minute TJ became what TJ became Dupree after his 5th year was going to get paid and he deserves it.  TJ Watt will be a Steeler next contract, it's a virtual guarantee. Soooo morale of the story is this, Dupree no matter what happned with Ben was always going to go to another team after he became what he currently is and thats one of the best edge rushers in the game.  Nelson lost his job to Sutton.  Now he of course said it had zero to do with Sutton but he definitely wanted more money and then after the fact said "they never talked to me about taking less" well how can a team talk to you about taking less when you want more money? unless it was a matter of structuring it in such a way to allow for some upfront relief.  Three starters have also now taken less money to stay with the Steelers.  Juju, alualu AND vince williams. The Steelers demise has been talked about for decades now and i'm still waiting for it to officially happen.  If it does it will because of the QB position. A collapse long term just ISN'T going to happen.  

8 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I still wouldn't be shocked if it's DL in the first.

Me either, and considering how few of the DLinemen on the roster now are signed past the 2021 season, DLine should be a big priority still in this draft. 

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

Larry my good man, you are straight up talking out of those clappy butt cheeks of yours with this one.  Steven Nelson was released and the rumor at the time was because he didn't want to compete with Sutton for starter reps opposite Haden.  He also wanted more money which he rightfully earned with his play.  However to say he went to greener pastures is factually untrue.  He wanted to stay but the team has been grooming sutton and it's now his time.  Haden is most definitely not running on fumes, maybe you will see a decline this season as he gets another year older but one fact with haden remains.  You all cut him loose entirely too soon or much like Nelson just didn't want to pay him and he left.  Has Nelson even signed a new contract with someone? 

Dupree was always going to be gone at that's just good drafting.  The minute TJ became what TJ became Dupree after his 5th year was going to get paid and he deserves it.  TJ Watt will be a Steeler next contract, it's a virtual guarantee. Soooo morale of the story is this, Dupree no matter what happned with Ben was always going to go to another team after he became what he currently is and thats one of the best edge rushers in the game.  Nelson lost his job to Sutton.  Now he of course said it had zero to do with Sutton but he definitely wanted more money and then after the fact said "they never talked to me about taking less" well how can a team talk to you about taking less when you want more money? unless it was a matter of structuring it in such a way to allow for some upfront relief.  Three starters have also now taken less money to stay with the Steelers.  Juju, alualu AND vince williams. The Steelers demise has been talked about for decades now and i'm still waiting for it to officially happen.  If it does it will because of the QB position. A collapse long term just ISN'T going to happen.  

This is what we here call "homer spin"  and a Trumpist like  refusal to face reality.

Nelson and Dupree were lost because they wanted money that  the Steelers could not pay them.   

And he thinks that  TJ Watt will take less money just to play with the Steelers?  Maybe a few guys did that in order to have one last hurrah with BR...but that does not mean that TJ will do that when there is no more BR there.   You say that the Steelers demise will be because of the QB position.   How long did it take the Steelers to get back into position after Bradshaw retired?  About as long as it took the Browns after Bernie Kosar was gone.    

And, if Steeler fans are officially waiting for that demise to happen....you must of missed it, because here it is:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

blah blah blah squealers went to the superbowls so make excuses now blah blah blah.

One thing I’ve noticed, browsing other Steeler forums across the good ole World Wide Web (I’m a masochistic and love reading what they post, went to like 4 different sites), is that they are beginning to talk about the browns in entire threads. Very much so like we usually do with the Steelers the last 20 years. 

my point is, when a team is a threat, They garner attention. Yinzers are beginning to worry about the browns. It is a very refreshing thing to see. They are arguing, hopelessly comparing, and some even coming to grips that we are the better roster and team. They are panicking. So damn nice to see

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

This is what we here call "homer spin"  and a Trumpist like  refusal to face reality.

Nelson and Dupree were lost because they wanted money that  the Steelers could not pay them.   

And he thinks that  TJ Watt will take less money just to play with the Steelers?  Maybe a few guys did that in order to have one last hurrah with BR...but that does not mean that TJ will do that when there is no more BR there.   You say that the Steelers demise will be because of the QB position.   How long did it take the Steelers to get back into position after Bradshaw retired?  About as long as it took the Browns after Bernie Kosar was gone.    

And, if Steeler fans are officially waiting for that demise to happen....you must of missed it, because here it is:

Gipper ya gotta give Vag credit as a spin meister. The fact is they've lost key players at key positions. I don't give a rat as to the reasons why. But... but... but Haden is STILL fine. You want to make a bet on that one? Geeze- Ben has devolved into a statue (11 rush yards 2020) dink and dunk artist,. Vag also has failed to address what the hell they're going to do about the gaping hole they have at center.  They have one good "name" player on the OL- Decastro, and after that-  according to Vag, those no names are all going to play at a pro bowl level. Riiigggttt...  :D  

His (Ben's) last four games he had 9TDs against 6ints, and stunk big time against the Bengals suck defense, and the Bills handed his ass to him.  Yup, he had big yardage against the Browns in the playoff game, but he also sunk the Steelers with four interceptions and as you pointed out- that ill fated gift TD on the first scrimmage play.  

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

Gipper ya gotta give Vag credit as a spin meister. The fact is they've lost key players at key positions. I don't give a rat as to the reasons why. But... but... but Haden is STILL fine. You want to make a bet on that one? Geeze- Ben has devolved into a statue (11 rush yards 2020) dink and dunk artist,. Vag also has failed to address what the hell they're going to do about the gaping hole they have at center.  They have one good "name" player on the OL- Decastro, and after that-  according to Vag, those no names are all going to play at a pro bowl level. Riiigggttt...  :D  

His (Ben's) last four games he had 9TDs against 6ints, and stunk big time against the Bengals suck defense, and the Bills handed his ass to him.  Yup, he had big yardage against the Browns in the playoff game, but he also sunk the Steelers with four interceptions and as you pointed out- that ill fated gift TD on the first scrimmage play.  

Of course, you can't really blame BR for the bad snap...although he gave slight effort to try to recover that ball.   And yes, let's face it, he ultimately had a seeming big production game against a somewhat suckass defense....that being the Browns defense.  Of course that is why so much attention has been spent on the Browns defense in bringing in new...hopefully talented players.   As far as his spin is concerned, I think it is more a matter of him trying to convince himself than the rest of us.   The Steelers will still be well coached as Tomlin is a very good coach.  So they likely will not drop completely into the bucket.  But their overall talent level has dropped into that bucket, its just, yes, they still have a few apples that can still float, like Watt, Minkah, Heyward.  

But then, of course I heard this again from the likes of both Cowturd and SA Smith.....They both say  "they are still the Browns"    like history meant anything right here, right now.  If they want to apply history then we can say "you mean the only team in history that went to 10 consecutive Championship games?   That is as much the Browns history as the last 20 years....and both are equally as relevant to 2021. 

To quell some of the doubters.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/04/why-jadeveon-clowney-is-poised-for-a-career-year-playing-next-to-myles-garrett-film-review.html

"Between the draft and training camp, be prepared to read about Clowney’s injury history and lack of sacks.

Then ignore it and forward them my work instead."

We need to think of the Takk/Clowney signings this way: they are essentially brought in as a package deal. So 2 guys for $12-14 million. You can put Clowney in for the first 2 downs and he can give run support and some pass rush, if needed. Takk comes in on passing downs to do what he is best at it, which is get after the qb. I'm not saying both are elite at anything, but it does help to build depth and versatility. It also allows guys to catch a breather. We saw it with MG, he would just gas out near the end b/c he never came out. Covid certainly didn't help.

I don't hate the signing at all. I think it is worth a flyer. Most importantly, think of the draft. Cleveland can take BPA at 26 or trade up or down depending on who they want. It gives them flexibility for this year and next. I still think it is going to be a corner in the first and edge in the second. Finally, since these are only 1 year deals, if one or both ball out and decide to leave and get paid elsewhere, Cleveland adds comp picks. This is how the Ravens and Patriots built longevity into their teams. Hitting on those additional mid-round picks. I think this is part of Berry's strategy.

• Upvote 1