THE BROWNS BOARD

2021 Browns OTA's/rolls into Mandatory Camp

gumby73

On 6/13/2021 at 3:51 PM, Orion said:

Actually, I weighed that into my thinking.  Plus the fact that they drafted a guy who can play center last year.

I need to see a lot more from Harris to hand him the job.

I don’t get too excited about these Day 3 guys...These 5th, 6th and 7th round guys are lottery tickets.  The vast majority don’t make second contracts, the other group is depth and you get a few diamonds. 

And We are talking about the Center position...the brain and the anchor of the line ...he’s gotta show more or Tretter gets another contract or we find another slightly more affordable player.  

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

We are talking about the Center position...the brain and the anchor of the line ...he’s gotta show more

I hear ya!  Tretter got hurt last year and Harris had to play.  One game he did ok.  In another he got his ass handed to him.  And he's not a real big guy.

But there's always this:  :)

I like this thread 🤓  Let's say we keep all Brown'iacs Camp News all in one spot.. In moments.. I will add "rolls into Mandatory Camp" into this topic name...

Keep your great post coming.... It still maybe a Phil Collins 'hit or miss' in this "Land of Confusion" of Mandatory Camps in 2021? And of course Uncle Covid 😷.. But we'll try our best...

Browns Mandatory Camp begins Tuesday through Thursday!   https://www.brownszone.com/2021/06/14/5-things-to-watch-at-minicamp-starting-with-the-return-of-odell-beckham-jr/

https://www.cleveland.com/orange-and-brown-talk-podcast/2021/06/this-week-offers-our-best-look-at-the-2021-browns-yet.html

si--- https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/cleveland-browns-minicamp-checklist

For sure, Zegura will be keeping us updated live from the practice fields.. 

Nathan Zegura

That’s right….we are going to be LIVE from the field tomorrow and Wednesday for the @Browns Mandatory Minicamp! Only @Browns_Daily can bring you this close to the action...

I still think Cleveland.com will have live on the field twitter updates..(free* we hope) ? And I'm not quite sure if Sports Time Ohio will delay televise? and I've seen no start times...

So! Were off to a g00d old fashion start 🤓....Any updates are more than welcome...And I'll check for more in the morning...

Edit-- saw nothing...the norm.. Every player/staff will get Covid checked..Injury updates and We may get players & Stef at the mic by 11am- noon'ish? 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Orion said:

I hear ya!  Tretter got hurt last year and Harris had to play.  One game he did ok.  In another he got his ass handed to him.  And he's not a real big guy.

But there's always this:  :)

In his defense, he got crushed playing guard, not Center. But he did get crushed.

Hopefully he is ready to take over for Tretter next year, if not, Center will be an off season priority.

Z

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I like this thread 🤓  Let's say we keep all Brown'iacs Camp News all in one spot.. In moments.. I will add "rolls into Mandatory Camp" into this topic name...

Good idea, but I doubt we will have much of a thread overload anymore, Gipper starterd 60% of them 😄

Except the rare day when BrownsfaninPa crawls out of his cave and starts four if them on last week's news.

Z

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2nd Christmas is happening in Berra...🎅

Stories of Browns Mandatory Camp are breaking at a high rate... pick your favorite browns media provider.. and post away!

Coach of the Year 👍.. is a good Start 

#2... https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/news-updates-anthony-walker-says-it-s-going-to-be-hard-for-wrs-to-make-catches-v

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

OBJ report on NOW on ESPN2.

If you did not see it, then you did not miss anything. A couple of day-old, sound bites from Landry (see any of a handful of articles for them) over footage from 2020.

On 6/14/2021 at 6:39 PM, tiamat63 said:

It's a thing.

Patient decisiveness?

@tiamat63  Is there such a term of Clowney maybe having "Patient defensive-ness".. or I just made that term up 🤓...

Example A.... I want this Clowney's game... #wreck💩

Example B... Injury or maybe scheme? Did Vrabel assign Clowney to think run to edge containment 1st?...far before being a edge pass rushing threat?

i get situational could help here..But

I still see the guy, that can straight up ball 👀...  when able 🤕

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/06/jadeveon-clowney-looks-fast-and-explosive-in-1st-browns-practice-and-1st-since-surgery-minicamp-takeaways.html

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

For everyone who chooses to believe the lack of OBJ is why Baker did better in the second half of last season....

Watch this video.  Learning a new system is simply not easy.

The answer is somewhere in the middle of learning a new offense vs. forcing the issue with a WR that needs/demands volume touches and truthfully it is hard to evaluate without a proper sample size. 

Baker has credited the bye week and having a week to pause and evaluate his play and his play within Stefanski’s offense as a turning point.  Believable and plausible. 

Yet, we have circumstances on the other side Obj gets hurt in the Cincy game and then Baker goes 22 for 23 and leads a game winning TD drive on a dime to a rookie WR.  And It appeared there was a concerted effort on some plays when OBJ was on the field last season to give him the ball rather than give what defense gives you ....whether that’s on the play caller or Baker I don’t know.  

And I do feel that Baker was more relaxed knowing the offense but also knowing he didn’t have this imaginary target line 8-10 touches to OBJ. 

I am not in the trade OBJ because he’s a detriment to the offense camp.  I believe the opposite and I believe that way because Baker appears to have turned the corner 2) he understands the offense better and trusts the player caller and 3) OBJ is still a legit talent that demands respect from defenses and he’s big play capable whenever he touches the ball.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

The answer is somewhere in the middle of learning a new offense vs. forcing the issue with a WR that needs/demands volume touches and truthfully it is hard to evaluate without a proper sample size. 

It won't remain a mystery for long now...

Meanwhile we can remember that without the 3-TD game OBJ had in Dallas, we finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

Baker should be comfortable in Stefanski's offense now, he sets up behind one of the best OLine's in the NFL, and has the best RB combo in the NFL.

There should be zero excuses now if he puts up mediocre stats with OBJ on the field this season. 

And after this season, there's a good chance we won't have to discuss this anymore. I'd be pretty shocked if OBJ is playing for the Browns in 2022.

• Upvote 2

Most informative link of the past two Camp days... Starts with Covid policy's to attend Camps & Pre-Season games. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/

All's hunky dory 🐟 in Berra..No contract holdouts.. June Injury holdouts are few.. With the only real concern being, Chris Hubbard may not be ready in July..

A early 11:45 am final Browns mandatory practice today..Than 6 more weeks of Browns Hype links 🤓...

I do hope the browns media would get Berry to respond to his thoughts here?    https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/richarson-comments-on-cutting-by-browns I get, A players agents never wants to slam a teams door (lead to reports of possible return)...but Shelton? just may have... 

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/richarson-comments-on-cutting-by-browns I get, A players agents never wants to slam a teams door (lead to reports of possible return)...but Shelton? just may have... 

I remember having a discussion with gip and I believe ag when this happened and they mentioned the hope of resigning him. I didn't think there was any hope because of the way the browns handled him.  They did him dirty. I don't blame the browns because it's a business but I don't blame Sheldon for being upset either. My only fear is that Cleveland just became a good destination for free agents I hope the way the front office handled it sours other players on playing for the browns down the line. 

52 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

I remember having a discussion with gip and I believe ag when this happened and they mentioned the hope of resigning him. I didn't think there was any hope because of the way the browns handled him.  They did him dirty. I don't blame the browns because it's a business but I don't blame Sheldon for being upset either. My only fear is that Cleveland just became a good destination for free agents I hope the way the front office handled it sours other players on playing for the browns down the line. 

All true, especially in light of what h ended up signing for,  but...

... if a player's priority is making the playoffs with a shot at a ring, then he has to take CLE over MN all day long.

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

All true, especially in light of what h ended up signing for,  but...

... if a player's priority is making the playoffs with a shot at a ring, then he has to take CLE over MN all day long.

I'm petty I would sign with another contender for vet minimum before I signed with the team that released me after all the fa money was gone if playoff and shot at ring was my priority. Obviously only speculation but I'd imagine Minnesota feels like home for Richardson.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Baker should be comfortable in Stefanski's offense now

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/cleveland-browns-biggest-offseason-addition-on-offense-might-be-easily-overlooked--166618427/

Spoiler Alert... the "biggest addition" is continuity.

In addition, to returning the offensive lineup, the Browns return their head coach, offensive coordinator, and entire offensive coaching staff.

Hell.... even the backups on the O-side are back.

So what does this continuity thang allow our O to focus upon?

Kevin Stefanski On Pre-Snap Cadence As How Cleveland Browns Offense Can Get Better In 2021

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/cleveland-browns-biggest-offseason-addition-on-offense-might-be-easily-overlooked--166618427/

Spoiler Alert... the "biggest addition" is continuity.

Hell.... even the backups on the O-side are back.

So what does this continuity thang allow our O to focus upon?

Kevin Stefanski On Pre-Snap Cadence As How Cleveland Browns Offense Can Get Better In 2021

On the flip side I think the lack of continuity at least from the player personnel side is welcomed on defense.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

I'm petty I would sign with another contender for vet minimum before I signed with the team that released me after all the fa money was gone if playoff and shot at ring was my priority. Obviously only speculation but I'd imagine Minnesota feels like home for Richardson.

Me too if money wasn’t the priority.

And they signed and drafted his replacement = writing on the wall that they didn’t want you. 

19 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

I get that (except for your implicit take that MN is a "contender")...

... but...

... in returning to MN he is returning to a team that was unwilling to pay him what he was worth on the open market just 3 short years ago. $$$ we paid him... and paid him well

... and...

... he did sign a contract with us that invited what occurred. No way he did not know it could end this way. as the ink dried

image.thumb.png.af95e4bc6be52086eb10d35af4d9beb2.png

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

And they signed and drafted his replacement = writing on the wall that they didn’t want you. 

Long-term... sure, but at a $3.6mm 1-year deal?

Pretty sure we wanted him... at least as much as MN.

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I get that (except for your implicit take that MN is a "contender")...

... but...

... in returning to MN he is returning to a team that was unwilling to pay him what he was worth on the open market just 3 short years ago. $$$ we paid him... and paid him well

... and...

... he did sign a contract with us that invited what occurred. No way he did not know it could end this way. as the ink dried

image.thumb.png.af95e4bc6be52086eb10d35af4d9beb2.png

Sorry I didn't make it clear. I was just saying what I would do not what Richardson did and then speculated on why Richardson chose MN (feeling like home to him). Also you can say they didn't want to pay him but he was allowed to seek out the best deal for him while all teams still had money to go around. So just my take but I wouldn't feel done dirty by that.

Again before I get yelled at by a certain section of the fanbase the browns were just doing business. When your potential super bowl window is open sometimes you have to make these decisions. I just know in my heart if the same thing were done to me as was done to Richardson there would be hard feelings on my end.

Edit I know clowney and Richardson don't play the sane position but it seems the money that was given to Clowney is what pushed the tipping point on cutting Richardson and if that were the case I would have rather kept Richardson and not signed Clowney.

On 6/17/2021 at 12:46 PM, bjh2130 said:

They did him dirty.

How did they "do him dirty" ?  He didn't earn his paycheck.. for 2 entire seasons.  If anything he did the Browns dirty by not accepting their request to take a lower deal.

This is the same logic that's used to blame the Browns for people like Schwartz leaving.. even though Schwartz turned down the Browns' offer which was higher than KC's.

The Browns are not the only people with agency here.

• Like 1

Shelton was released on 4/16 https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/transactions/  Togiai was drafted & on back 2 back days.. Square & McDowell was added...5/3/4/2021

I say Berry knew  than..that the Richardson Bridge was burnt to his crossing.. 

Here's our Richardson topic... https://thebrownsboard.com/topic/61039-sheldon-richardson-released/

Here's what Richardson lost https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-tackle/  he's better than Ogun...

Our site has this post on page 2.. https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/04/18/andrew-berry-sends-message-cleveland-browns-veterans-lets-restructure/  we have no other players with Richardson's agent named Ben Dogra

Did Berry try to restruct Richardson? And was the Restruct number higher than what the Vikings paid?.... Interested Fan favorites, would like you to address Mr. Berry 🤓