THE BROWNS BOARD

Pre-Season, week 1. CLE v JAX 7PM: NFL Network

tiamat63

"Official" thread for commentary.  Figured I'd get a jump on it since I'm going to be busy as all hell during the day tomorrow.

Will link the discord (chat) information if any of you clowns want to take that route instead of all the typing.

Baker and likely Odell + Juice not playing.  Figured that means our pair of monster RB's as well.  Looking forward to seeing the youngbloods and rookies, namely Newsome and Felton.

You would think overpaying Direct TV & Nfl ticket....

tNFL Network would give you both games to choose from as guided...but no ! ! every game on 212-1 is blacked out no matter where you live 🖕

the crooks, can't wait for your 100 bucks for gamepass..  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

You would think overpaying Direct TV & Nfl ticket....

tNFL Network would give you both games to choose from as guided...but no ! ! every game on 212-1 is blacked out no matter where you live 🖕

the crooks, can't wait for your 100 bucks for gamepass..  

Youtube TV

42 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Youtube TV

thanks! found a decent stream at reddit.. Titans play defense.. and We did not want AJ McCarron 🤫

A.J. McCarron better complete another pass soon or he'll be on the bench against Vanderbilt next week. 🤣

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

We did not want AJ McCarron 🤫

A.J. McCarron better complete another pass soon or he'll be on the bench against Vanderbilt next week. 🤣

Long live Matt Ryan... 😃

PASSING
Player CP/ATT YDS TD INT
AJ McCarron 5/12 36 0

Feleipe Franks 2/9 16 0 0
RUSHING
Player CAR YDS TD AVG
Feleipe Franks 4 76 0 19

AJ McCarron 2 11 0 5.5

In 21 pass attempts.. Both combined being sacked 5 times... Tenn. 23-3 F

Yeah..the Lions/Bills game was the better view.. 

Preseason Week 1 if you are interested in that stuff.  Our BROWNS opened up as a 3.5 point favorite now they are a 3.5 point underdog.  Huh ?

Screenshot_2021-08-14_173016.jpg

28 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Preseason Week 1 if you are interested in that stuff.  Our BROWNS opened up as a 3.5 point favorite now they are a 3.5 point underdog.  Huh ?

Starters are benched.  Usually home team gets a 3pt nod, so it's a TD swing essentially which makes it -3 to JAX.

27 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Baker and probably a good number of starters are reportedly not playing. 
I wouldn’t just dismiss our depth though. 

Maybe a clue we might see the JAX #1 pick,  no matter what I'm watching......... baby !

Got this yesterday in my Yahoo sports, interesting or something (else) ?

QB battle in Jax? Really, Urban?

(James Gilbert/Getty Images)

By Jay Busbee

I drive an Acura SUV. It's a sensible car for a family, a little guzzly on the gas but with more than enough room to carry coolers, chairs, athletic gear and other accoutrements. But I've had my eye on this sweet Dodge Charger Hellcat. You know, the kind of car that doesn't belong anywhere near a carpool line.

If, by some stroke of luck I ended up with a Hellcat — say, if all you Read & Reactors started a GoFundMe and bought me one* — I'd have that bad boy out on the open highway inside of a minute. I damn sure wouldn't be parking it in the garage because I'm comfortable with my reliable old SUV, debating which one I wanted to take on a road trip. 

(*-I'm probably legally or ethically required to tell you not to do this.)

And yet, that's exactly what Urban Meyer insists he's doing with the Jacksonville quarterback position, with Gardner Minshew playing the part of the old reliable model and Trevor Lawrence as the sleek, fast wheels that are the envy of the rest of the league. 

Speaking on Thursday, Meyer insisted that he hasn't named a starting quarterback for this weekend's first preseason game. When pressed about the idea that a national championship-snaring, hair-flowing #1 overall pick might not start the game, Meyer replied, "I think we'll answer that as we get closer."

Seriously? Look, this is no knock against Minshew, who has one of the better backstories in the NFL. But Lawrence is as sure a bet as you're going to get in the NFL, a dead-bang certain future star who could singlehandedly turn the entire franchise around. 

I have no idea what kind of poker player Urban Meyer is. But this angle screams of a guy loudly declaring "These cards are terrible! I am SO UNLUCKY" when he's holding pocket aces. He's obviously hoping some team with questions at QB ('sup, Houston) makes a too-large offer for Minshew. Thing is, there's two full years of data on Minshew already, data that a bluff like this can't erase. 

You know the old coaches' line about how when you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks? Right now, the Jaguars have two players capable of playing the position of quarterback, but it's very likely that one is much more capable than the other. Let's not pretend anything else is the case. 

It's entirely possible that Urban will lose more games by Thanksgiving than he lost in his entire seven-year tenure at Ohio State. How will he handle that kind of adversity? How will a pro team react to his college tactics?

The Urban Experiment is going to be one of the more fascinating storylines of the 2021 season ... as long as he doesn't outthink himself by ever starting anyone other than Trevor Lawrence at quarterback. 

—Follow Jay Busbee on Twitter

Readers react: You've heard from us, now we want to hear from you. Hit us up at readandreact@yahoosports.com with your thoughts on Urban and Trevor or anything else in today's newsletter, and you might just see your words below.

17 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Jaxs first team vs Browns 2nd Team slight advantage Browns 

One thing to remember this year only 3 preseason games less time to judge the newbies, do the BROWNS starters hit it in week 2 and/or 3 ?

Same with the 17 game season some slightly different coaching strategies.

And I'd go CLE +3.5 in Jacksonville.

6 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

One thing to remember this year only 3 preseason games less time to judge the newbies, do the BROWNS starters hit it in week 2 and/or 3 ?

I say they play three series next week and one the final preseason game.  We know what we have we will have plenty of scrimmage time to get in sync.  Let’s go into KC with everyone or mostly everyone healthy.

and yes our depth looks good and definitely good enough to get 3 1/2 points 

11 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I say they play three series next week and one the final preseason game.  We know what we have we will have plenty of scrimmage time to get in sync.  Let’s go into KC with everyone or mostly everyone healthy.

and yes our depth looks good and definitely good enough to get 3 1/2 points