THE BROWNS BOARD

Pre-Season, week 1. CLE v JAX 7PM: NFL Network

tiamat63

The following players are not expected to play Saturday night in the Browns' first preseason game against the Jaguars due to injury:

10 WR Anthony Schwartz (hamstring)

22 S Grant Delpit (hamstring)

29 S Sheldrick Redwine (ankle)

33 S Ronnie Harrison Jr. (hamstring)

36 CB M.J. Stewart Jr. (hamstring)

41 LB Montrel Meander (hamstring)

42 LB Tony Fields II (foot)

58 DT Malik McDowell (rib)

83 WR Alexander Hollins (hamstring)

95 DE Myles Garrett (hamstring)

Injuries reported as Out during game?

Stephen Carlson (Knee) Mack Wilson (shoulder) https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/08/mack-wilson-and-stephen-carlson-awaiting-mri-results-some-injured-browns-due-back-tuesday.html (keyword: awaiting MRI)

During today’s press conference, head coach Kevin Stefanski did not have an update on the condition of either player.

Kiondre Thomas (hamstring)

liked it Woods.. https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/08/the-browns-defense-looks-different-blitzing-more-in-first-preseason-game-what-we-learned-from-browns-23-13-victory-in-jacksonville.html

11 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

What is an issue and literally happened not 2 plays after we were talking about it - throwing any type of misdirection involved with the passing game at him.    He voided his underneath hook curl on a bootleg chasing too hard on a stretch flow with his eyes on the back and forgetting where his "home" was.   

But in terms of 'see ball, get ball'...   

Kevin got your message ;)

#Browns Kevin Stefanski on Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah: He made "splash plays." Needs to clean up his eye progression and he understands that.

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Kevin got your message ;)

#Browns Kevin Stefanski on Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah: He made "splash plays." Needs to clean up his eye progression and he understands that.

It was fairly evident a few times without further tape review.  Coach saw it right away, JOK knew it right away, now it's just a matter of drilling it home and becoming 2nd nature. 

https://www.brownsnation.com/3-browns-players-who-stood-out-in-the-preseason-jaguars-game/

Too bad - a logjam with talented receivers. Davis was IMPRESSIVE.

Going to be serious hell with cutting so many good players.

Yes, great problem to have.

Number one that stood out for me was Felton. really showed some promise out there, and a Ty Montgomery type could be a useful addition to this team. I get a feeling he wouldn't last on our practice squad if he doesn't make the final roster. Last year we kept 3 RB's, but I could easily see them keeping 5 WR instead and keeping him "listed" as RB. 

Will also be interested to see the decision on the number of TE, with Carlson now out. The Browns started week 1 with 5 TE on the 53, which I could see trimming to 4.

Regarding Derenst Johnson and Demetric Felton....

I don’t see a scenario where Felton doesn’t make the team.

The likely scenario is Johnson and Felton both make the team. 

The slim chance (I don’t like this one) Johnson gets traded at the end of camp.

Johnson is the preferred/best choice for the wide zone scheme.  Although fans haven’t seen Felton here...but Felton is the better 3rd down back.   If we are going to run and throw often to our backs...we need Chubb, Hunt, Johnson and Felton 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

It was fairly evident a few times without further tape review.  Coach saw it right away, JOK knew it right away, now it's just a matter of drilling it home and becoming 2nd nature. 

Live game..I spent most my defensive eye time on viewing interior DT's/DE's..  wanted to get a early peek on sorting out Gustin/Joe Jackson/ Weaver too.. Joe Jackson played really well, with snaps given.. quick & more established techniques, may cost Weaver a roster spot in the end.. I saw JOK popping up on the tv screen most of the night live.. but, i just didn't see JOK's line of travels till my 2nd viewing..I had already saw your post, before my 2nd viewing, moving my eyes to JOK /LB's/DB's play.. It did not take long to see your post in action.. It was spot on.. Lamar/McHomie  ect..../Jet motion sets...will frost JoK's rookie cakes, if he can't eye read nor cover his home base on defense... good call, on your part...

If Delpit/Harrison continue to miss games? JJ3 & that kid Richard LeCounte 👀 really impressed me, for a game 1 rookie.. get back Harrison? I think Woods may have something cooking at his big nickle packages still... These g-men practice's should make for a good valuation week..

It's not the -O-, I so much worry with..It's this un-_______ defense, that has to take us to a Road /(Woods) we ain't seen since ________ ...  

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Live game..I spent most my defensive eye time on viewing interior DT's/DE's..  wanted to get a early peek on sorting out Gustin/Joe Jackson/ Weaver too.. Joe Jackson played really well, with snaps given.. quick & more established techniques, may cost Weaver a roster spot in the end.. I saw JOK popping up on the tv screen most of the night live.. but, i just didn't see JOK's line of travels till my 2nd viewing..I had already saw your post, before my 2nd viewing, moving my eyes to JOK /LB's/DB's play.. It did not take long to see your post in action.. It was spot on.. Lamar/McHomie  ect..../Jet motion sets...will frost JoK's rookie cakes, if he can't eye read nor cover his home base on defense... good call, on your part...

If Delpit/Harrison continue to miss games? JJ3 & that kid Richard LeCounte 👀 really impressed me, for a game 1 rookie.. get back Harrison? I think Woods may have something cooking at his big nickle packages still... These g-men practice's should make for a good valuation week..

It's not the -O-, I so much worry with..It's this un-_______ defense, that has to take us to a Road /(Woods) we ain't seen since ________ ...  

You don't even have to get fancy with ghost motion, JOK got out of place with a simple boot action.   Young player itching to make a play and relying too much on his athletic ability.  He needs to trust his teammates and as Billichek says - "do YOUR" job.

I'll be interested in seeing how the DB situation shakes out.  LeCounte is worth more playing time to see if he's  a PS stash.  But his pass breakup, while a solid play, was against a QB starting down his receiver while he was sitting on that hash.  There's a half dozen people on this board that could have gotten a hand on that ball.    So I'm not overly impressed.  Having said that, he was a 5 star recruit and good athlete. Those guys are always worth a look.

Edit: feel free to join us in discord next time if you want to talk about this stuff in game. 

Edited by tiamat63

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

You don't even have to get fancy with ghost motion, JOK got out of place with a simple boot action.   Young player itching to make a play and relying too much on his athletic ability.  He needs to trust his teammates and as Billichek says - "do YOUR" job.

I'll be interested in seeing how the DB situation shakes out.  LeCounte is worth more playing time to see if he's  a PS stash.  But his pass breakup, while a solid play, was against a QB starting down his receiver while he was sitting on that hash.  There's a half dozen people on this board that could have gotten a hand on that ball.    So I'm not overly impressed.  Having said that, he was a 5 star recruit and good athlete. Those guys are always worth a look.

Edit: feel free to join us in discord next time if you want to talk about this stuff in game. 

LeCounte was nearly a Buckeye commit if I recall correctly.  

21 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Si.   

That's Spanish for "yes". 

I'm sophisticated like that.

I think I’ve heard that before living right next to Mexico.  
Unfortunately growing up near Canada I studied French instead only to move in the opposite direction. And I still don’t know French and my Spanish is weak sauce even after all these years  in SD.

I knew LeCounte was the one that got away from Urban in that Georgia pipeline 

52 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Replay is on NFL Network right now for those of us who were out with hot chicks on Saturday Night.

Z

Add Back-up Center as a cut upgrade.. Nick Harris play screams PS.. and he might get there..  can't kick him to guard..He's the smallest 6 foot 1" 302 seen.. bubble-wrap Tretter please.. C Austin Reiter is still a FA..

viewed game many times..and still can't get a number on our guy missing the punt block (wusu or Green/Allen maybe..) how he missed it either 

\ Natson 90yrd punt return, called back for block below waist on AJ Green 2:47 left... this call really blows !

Had a few hours to burn on this humid Saturday.  The only way to unlock the potential of this offense is to be a better vertical passing team when the shot is there.     I mentioned breaking down a couple plays that Brett Kollmann did, one where I agreed with his assessment and one where I felt he was wildly off the mark.       The only way to improve before the regular season is by working on such reads and throws in camp and in pre-season.     Most importantly, trusting the structure of the offense, your pass-catchers AND what you're seeing.

In short...   I sure as fuck hope Baker takes the throw that Keenum didn't.   Remember kids - Touchdown, Checkdown.  

Untitled_2.thumb.png.66927d3d2bd2bc5d74e27b5dd0af80f5.png