THE BROWNS BOARD

Pre-Season, week 1. CLE v JAX 7PM: NFL Network

tiamat63

22 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Gotta be encouraged with backups on defense. Shut down Jacksonville’s starters for the most part

Do yourself a favor and evaluate individual players. Preseason is sooooooo vanilla. How many times has a team gone undefeated in the preseason to go on and lose most of their games? I guess I’m being a buzzkill but that’s how I view all the Steeler preseason games.

• Upvote 1

To point this out because I mentioned it early the start of last year - Woods with some different front in our "base" looks with our upgraded personnel.  

Hitting it with some blended gap looks in that 4 man under front ala what he did in Denver.   Looking forward to breaking those down. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have to say that despite all the hype that the homer announcers are doing, the Browns have played very well with so many starters both sides of the ball just watching the game. JO-K looks like the real speedy LB we were expecting to see shooting gaps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Kyle keeps playing like this.. he may not get to PS  😇

I liked the kid coming out.. He's got some talent...

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

despite all the hype that the homer announcers are doing

Yup.  All Jacksonville, all the time.  All game long they called FB Stanton, Staley.

How many times did we pass it to the FB?  How many times did we HAND it to the FB?  #37 Taylor musta' been saying, WTF, why can't I be in there running the ball.  -  Finally, he did get in.  But our OL could not give the RB's much room.  

#28 JOK seemed small to me out there.  (maybe it's the # he wears)

#18 Davis represented himself well today.  He's got an uphill battle.  D'E did well.  Felton did fairly well.  I wonder if they'll let him carry the ball.  DPJ did well.  

A 20 play, 10+ minute drive for a TD in the 4th quarter.  That was pretty cool.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nickers said:

I liked the kid coming out.. He's got some talent...

same here...watched a lot of his Richmond games cause it's a 2 hour drive from me. Lot's of local TV games. Pat Shurmur did him no favors coaching him at giants when he got drafted..

This staff looks to have him back to trusting a playcall spot.. get the ball out & trust your players..  

What's crazy is? Philly/Atlanta had him last...Both teams need better back-ups..  

Only 1 preseason game.. and Kyle did play well... it was good to see that Kyle again.. Command/Confident in offense/knows the playbook, with getting few camp reps..     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Do yourself a favor and evaluate individual players. Preseason is sooooooo vanilla. How many times has a team gone undefeated in the preseason to go on and lose most of their games? I guess I’m being a buzzkill but that’s how I view all the Steeler preseason games.

Noticeable Depth.

and yes, your always a buzzkill

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Orion said:

#28 JOK seemed small to me out there.  (maybe it's the # he wears)

I care not about that. What I saw was a player so quick at shooting gaps that I can hardly wait to see him when the opposing OL is occupied trying to stop the twin terrors wandering around the DL. I am betting that if he sees a lot of playing time JOK will rival those two for total season sacks. The opportunities to utilize his abilities will be innumerable. This is going to be a fun Defense to watch this year barring too many key injuries.

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I care not about that. What I saw was a player so quick at shooting gaps that I can hardly wait to see him when the opposing OL is occupied trying to stop the twin terrors wandering around the DL. I am betting that if he sees a lot of playing time JOK will rival those two for total season sacks. The opportunities to utilize his abilities will be innumerable. This is going to be a fun Defense to watch this year barring too many key injuries.

Something @bjh2130 and myself were talking about in Discord while watching the game that has carried over from JOK's Notre Dame tape -  the downhill trigger, the willingness to attack gaps,  was never really an issue.   Doing it consistently with discipline and within the context of scheme needed some improvement, but flying to the ball carrier isn't an issue with him.   What is an issue and literally happened not 2 plays after we were talking about it - throwing any type of misdirection involved with the passing game at him.    He voided his underneath hook curl on a bootleg chasing too hard on a stretch flow with his eyes on the back and forgetting where his "home" was.   

If I'm KC, I'm going to watch that further.     It speaks to what I mentioned when I say how he processes more than just the running game as a more "traditional" WILL backer.    That part of his game needs considerable improvement.     But in terms of 'see ball, get ball'...   ZERO concern there.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Something @bjh2130 and myself were talking about in Discord while watching the game that has carried over from JOK's Notre Dame tape -  the downhill trigger, the willingness to attack gaps,  was never really an issue.   Doing it consistently with discipline and within the context of scheme needed some improvement, but flying to the ball carrier isn't an issue with him.   What is an issue and literally happened not 2 plays after we were talking about it - throwing any type of misdirection involved with the passing game at him.    He voided his underneath hook curl on a bootleg chasing too hard on a stretch flow with his eyes on the back and forgetting where his "home" was.   

If I'm KC, I'm going to watch that further.     It speaks to what I mentioned when I say how he processes more than just the running game as a more "traditional" WILL backer.    That part of his game needs considerable improvement.     But in terms of 'see ball, get ball'...   ZERO concern there.

He is an amazing player - but there is still a lot to learn. These coaches will fix it - and JOK is a very, very smart player. He'll learn. Pretty impressive for his first preseason game, I think. I'm a big fan - and was still surprised at his speed getting the sack...

14 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

He is an amazing player - but there is still a lot to learn. These coaches will fix it - and JOK is a very, very smart player. He'll learn. Pretty impressive for his first preseason game, I think. I'm a big fan - and was still surprised at his speed getting the sack...

The speed wasn't surprising.  Remember I did that film piece on him where NoD brought him off the slot in their 5 and 6 man pressures...    He has a great first step quickness.

Him being sent on the sack however, given the choice of either A gap, was the surprise for me.   I saw man coverage (which it was) and figured he might drop into a low middle hole and play a sort of Rat like a Cover 1.   Except instead of your middle robber being a DB, it's just JOK dropping.      Nope, Woods dialed up a zero blitz which I don't remember seeing really much of any last season.  JOK picked his lane well, got small and got home.    DB's held up rather nicely too.   

Very encouraging all around play in terms of the intensity everyone (especially JOK) played with.  

edit:

Great design by Woods, actually.  It is a bit of a Rat design, instead the underneath robber is Malcom on the delayed drop.      His alignment and first step ties up the RG before he drops.   But lets give credit to Joe Jackson as well for the pressure and getting a hand on Minshew so he couldn't climb and run.  That allowed JOK to clean it up.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

In Listening to JOK (interviews since being drafted)  I think he will clean up the assignment issues over the next month.  The athletic ability seems to match the football intellect.  

and Maybe it’s a product of considerable missed time at Training Camp too.  You need mental and physical reps as a new guy. 

I Loved the pursuit, tackling and his ability to slip blocks last night. 

We’ve got a good one here 

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2021 at 7:05 PM, gumby73 said:

You would think overpaying Direct TV & Nfl ticket....

tNFL Network would give you both games to choose from as guided...but no ! ! every game on 212-1 is blacked out no matter where you live 🖕

the crooks, can't wait for your 100 bucks for gamepass..  

Not the case for me... Only (minor) issue if the Browns are on local OTA- the concurrent on NFLN wasn't going to be shown. So we got the Browns on OTA- and NFLN showed the Ravens- Saints game instead.  212-1 isn't 212.  :)   

17 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My only problem with the first half was the Huey flashback I got when they went for the TD rather than kicking the FG to go up by 9.

Hah- it's preseason.. one more play in the Red Zone. I called it that they were going to try for the TD.  Doubtless if it was a game that counted- we would have kicked the FG.   

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Was out of state and missed the game, hopefully we came out of it healthy.

I see they have not placed those brown pants in a dumpster and lit it on fire yet. Disappointing. 😉

Wilson and Carlson are banged up...the extent of those injuries is unknown.   

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep. Except on the last part, he made a mistake.

" Given all the additions on defense, including their new hybrid defender, the Browns clearly want to stop some of the NFL’s best defenses. Owusu-Koramoah showed on this night that he could be a big part of that plan. "

• Upvote 1