THE BROWNS BOARD

2022 Non-Browns FA Thread

Unsympathetic

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

Wentz getting traded and from reports getting his full salary guaranteed should be a pretty big shot across the bow on what people think of this QB draft class. I'm not fundamentally against taking a falling prospect in the 2nd round.

Yes the crazy scramble for any dude with a number below 20 and a pulse that can say HUT-HUT....HUT.   Even backup quarterbacks are in a great spot.

Should be an interesting 2022 draft season.

GO BROWNS,  safe and secure for awhile ?

5 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

And came cheap.. two third round picks, the 2023 can become a second based on incentives. Flipped spots in the second round this year too.  Indy must have really soured on Wentz, as he cost them a first...   But Washington hasn't had a great QB since that other Joe (Thiesman).   

Carson Wentz has created more trading of picks than any QB I know...

Trades 

• Wentz trade data since 2016

April 20, 2016: Traded by Browns as 2016 1st round pick (2nd overall) with 2017 4th round pick (139th overall subsequently traded, Jehu Chesson) to Eagles for 2018 2nd round pick (64th overall subsequently traded, Tyquan Lewis), 2016 1st round pick (8th overall subsequently traded, Jack Conklin), 2016 3rd round pick (77th overall subsequently traded, Daryl Worley), 2016 4th round pick (100th overall subsequently traded, Connor Cook) and 2017 1st round pick (12th overall subsequently traded, Deshaun Watson) (6)

March 17, 2021: Traded by Eagles to Colts for 2021 3rd round pick (84th overall subsequently traded, Chauncey Golston) and a conditional 2022 pick (1st or 2nd round) (2)

March 9 2022  Traded by Colts to Washington for.. Two third round picks. the 2023 can become a second based on incentives. Flipped spots in the second round this year. (2.3)

Wentz will be going into his 7th year. With 9 comebacks, 10 game-winning drives....matching his 10 trade pieces, to his 10 game winning drives  🤯

15 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Yes the crazy scramble for any dude with a number below 20 and a pulse that can say HUT-HUT....HUT.   Even backup quarterbacks are in a great spot.

Should be an interesting 2022 draft season.

GO BROWNS,  safe and secure for awhile ?

For sure, and it should also dispel anyone on this board who thinks Mayfield wouldn't be a valuable trade asset at least going into the draft this year. I think the chances of the Browns not sticking with Mayfield firmly at this point is around 5%, but still. If a reported bad teammate with injury woes is getting that value so would Baker.

EDIT: What's wild about this trade too is that this will be the 6th year in a row the Colts are starting with a QB who wasn't the week one starter the season prior. 

For sure, and it should also dispel anyone on this board who thinks Mayfield wouldn't be a valuable trade asset at least going into the draft this year. I think the chances of the Browns not sticking with Mayfield firmly at this point is around 5%, but still. If a reported bad teammate with injury woes is getting that value so would Baker.

EDIT: What's wild about this trade too is that this will be the 6th year in a row the Colts are starting with a QB who wasn't the week one starter the season prior. 

Mayfield has shown success in the league and his present contract is not a toxic asset.  If your 5% plays out we will get a decent return. 

Rodgers and Wilson would have moved the needle tremendously.

Carr and Cousins not enough to give up what is speculated 

And it is pointless to talk about Jimmy G., Mariota and Trubisky.

It is Baker for better or worse next year 

• Upvote 1

If I was offered 2 picks for Baker, I'd likely take it.   I may have underestimated his value, but then again it's not like Washington is a soundly run organization. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

If I was offered 2 picks for Baker, I'd likely take it.   I may have underestimated his value, but then again it's not like Washington is a soundly run organization. 

And what's interesting in that regard is that the Colts FO is considered very competent and now look pretty stupid. I'm not trying to sound holier than in my sentiment, but I just think the NFL is shifting quickly to the "find a QB" instead of "draft a QB" model. And perhaps foolishly, these teams seem to place a premium on top 5 pick talent.

2 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

And what's interesting in that regard is that the Colts FO is considered very competent and now look pretty stupid. I'm not trying to sound holier than in my sentiment, but I just think the NFL is shifting quickly to the "find a QB" instead of "draft a QB" model. And perhaps foolishly, these teams seem to place a premium on top 5 pick talent.

Their HC had prior success with Wentz.  So stupid maybe in hindsight.  

I think teams would rather draft and develop a QB because it is pretty rare that a proven top 10 QB (Wilson, Manning, Stafford) will become available.  If you are solid team like the Colts year in and year out you aren’t in the position to find the rare QB talent out of college.

The Wentz move and the Darnold move last year.  Were essentially moves where each team didn’t have great options this year and they are probably thinking we aren’t tied down long term to the guy or giving up too much.

Having said all this, I wouldn’t blink if the Seahawks wanted that package from the Browns.  Russell Wilson and few adjustments here and there- the Browns are division winners next year and they’d have a much better shot representing the AFC

11 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

DE Khalil Mack to Chargers -- for a 2nd and a 6th.  Khalil Mack contract -- his cap hit is 30.1 this year.  Mack and Bosa will not be boring.

The Chiefs are 31-5 against the rest of the AFC West over the past 6 years.

The AFC West is getting interesting.

2 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Also, the Khalil Mack trade will leave Da Bears with $123 million in cap space for 2023.

a couple of things as I do not follow the bears didnt they give up two 1st round picks for Mack ? and what do the bears need to be competitive ? I wouldnt mind seeing fields do well

7 minutes ago, ATOM said:

a couple of things as I do not follow the bears didnt they give up two 1st round picks for Mack ? and what do the bears need to be competitive ? I wouldnt mind seeing fields do well

Good lesson here…you don’t give up that kind of haul unless it is for a franchise QB. For every 1985 Bears and 2000 Ravens you have countless settled attempts with teams that can’t find the guy but they Long Term plan B the thing building on the other side of the ball when it is time and time again not a proven strategy 

23 minutes ago, ATOM said:

An Oline.  They need an entire Oline.  It's a miracle Fields wasn't killed last year.  

But he did sort of show how silly it was for San Fran to take Lance over him.  Fields as a rookie was several years ahead of Lance as a passer.

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

An Oline.  They need an entire Oline.  It's a miracle Fields wasn't killed last year.  

But he did sort of show how silly it was for San Fran to take Lance over him.  Fields as a rookie was several years ahead of Lance as a passer.

from what i heard Lance was not ready for primetime and didnt he also get hurt ? from some highlights i saw Fields does look like the real deal (when was the last time that could be said of a Buckeye q.b)

55 minutes ago, ATOM said:

from what i heard Lance was not ready for primetime and didnt he also get hurt ? from some highlights i saw Fields does look like the real deal (when was the last time that could be said of a Buckeye q.b)

Lance wasn't even ready for pre-season. He missed things as simple as replacing a MIKE backer on a zone settle.

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

The Raiders traded Mack plus second-round and seventh-round picks (originally a conditional pick that turned out to be a seventh-rounder) to the Bears for two first-round picks and third-round and sixth-round choices.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Can you imagine these kind of salary numbers,  is anybody realistically worth  $30M, $40M a year to play professional football  ?  Especially when you're not going to a Super Bowl  and with diminishing numbers.   Wow, just wow.

......The team converted $7.5 million of his base salary and a $7.5 million roster bonus that was initially due next week into a signing bonus to spread it out over more years, which will give the Falcons more room to play with. Ryan's new cap number for 2022 is $36,662,500 and his new base salary is $8.75 million.

To do this, the Falcons added three voidable years from 2024-2026 totaling $9 million. Ryan's dead money for 2022 is now $55.525 million .....

..... ☆ Atlanta, which was over the salary cap a week ago, now has $16,215,670, according to Roster Management System after Ryan's restructure and Monday's suspension of Calvin Ridley for at least the 2022 season for gambling on games. Ridley's suspension took $11.1 million off Atlanta's books for this season.

At this month's NFL combine, Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot acknowledged some of the team's massive contracts were "the elephant in the room."  

Ryan's contract -- specifically the cap number -- had been one of the biggest topics of conversation for how the Falcons were going to get under the salary cap.

"It is a challenge. I wouldn't say it's a problem," Fontenot said. "I would say it's a challenge, something we have to work around."

....☆  It's the fourth straight year the Falcons have restructured Ryan's contract. Ryan is under contract until after 2023 season, where his cap hit will be $46,612,500, but the potential dead money in the deal drops to $27,612,500.

....☆  Ryan, who turns 37 in May, completed 67% of his passes last season for 3,968 yards, 20 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in his first year under coach Arthur Smith. It was the first time since the 2010 season he threw for under 4,000 yards and only the third time in his career he threw fewer than 21 touchdown passes. Ryan also was sacked 40 times last season -- the fourth straight year he has been sacked at least 40 times........