THE BROWNS BOARD

I don't go to the NFL for my morals

laiccm

Just stop with the holier than thou garbage with Watson. If he cleared by a court of law......then that's it. We as Cleveland fans have rooted for a good number of players in all sports who were by reputation and sometimes court...bad people (Jim Brown, Albert Bell, Kareem Hunt, Josh Gordon.....etc).  If you go to The NFL for your morals then grow up.....from the Patriots owner, Indy owner, Tyrek Hill......cheating, doping, rapes, racial disparities, vehicular homicides....Been in the NFL for decades. .I wanna win at all costs. That's professional sports....that's just reality. I ain't boycotting nothing...

Ya, Josh Gordon smoking some weed is the same thing as 22 people saying you sexually assaulted them.  

"Holier" than thou. Ya, I am. Mainly because I've never been accused of sexual assault by 1 woman. Let alone 22.

Let's give up 3 1st and god knows how much so the next 22 can accuse him of the same thing when he pays these ones off. 

There were plenty of guys that could have pushed the needle for that kinda price tag. 

If he wasn't a QB with some numbers, he would be a footnote on this league

Screw this guy and Haslem. 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Ya, Josh Gordon smoking some weed is the same thing as 22 people saying you sexually assaulted them.  

"Holier" than thou. Ya, I am. Mainly because I've never been accused of sexual assault by 1 woman. Let alone 22.

Let's give up 3 1st and god knows how much so the next 22 can accuse him of the same thing when he pays these ones off. 

There were plenty of guys that could have pushed the needle for that kinda price tag. 

EXACTLY.

1 hour ago, hx214 said:

Yeah...I noticed how you picked out Josh Gordon to make your point but not Albert Bell who ran over kids or Jim Brown who probably been beating women for decades...

I just saw a friend I know post this hypocrisy and I know he voted for Trump.

Your points are weak...if you were that much on a pedestal you should've stopped watching the league a long time ago

You don't know what happened nor do i...all we know is that the court said Bye....didn't even arrest him..like Kareem Hunt.

I give up the picks....what has picks gotten us before?

If he wasn't a QB with numbers he would be a footnote? Isn't that every player??lol

1 hour ago, laiccm said:

If he wasn't a QB with numbers he would be a footnote? Isn't that every player

That part got me lol. Next you'll tell me if he wasn't talented at football and was accused of this he wouldn't even be in the nfl.  That's crazy

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, laiccm said:

Since Berry became GM the Browns have drafted very well. Before him, your point is valid.

Here's the thing football-wise....Watson may be somewhat in the clear (civil suits pending), but Goodell is certainly going to suspend him. So if the Browns do acquire him, he's out for what, 4 to 6 games? So think of the worst-case scenario here- Browns go 1-3, 0-4, 1-5, or 0-6 and have no #1  draft choice in 2023, 2024, 2025 to help dig out.

This risk-reward is stupid. They're possibly dumping Baker & his drama for Watson and MORE drama. 

The franchise seemed to settle down, and now they may risk this? And alienating many fans? Jeez Haslam, you're a fool. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

Since Berry became GM the Browns have drafted very well. Before him, your point is valid.

Here's the thing football-wise....Watson may be somewhat in the clear (civil suits pending), but Goodell is certainly going to suspend him. So if the Browns do acquire him, he's out for what, 4 to 6 games? So think of the worst-case scenario here- Browns go 1-3, 0-4, 1-5, or 0-6 and have no #1  draft choice in 2023, 2024, 2025 to help dig out.

This risk-reward is stupid. They're possibly dumping Baker & his drama for Watson and MORE drama. 

The franchise seemed to settle down, and now they may risk this? And alienating many fans? Jeez Haslam, you're a fool. 

More baggage....with ALOT more talent. Will he be suspended? Maybe....but we only have a few seasons of the top time of players like Gareett, Chubb....Hunt. etc...

You want Baker versus Holmes, Herbert, Burrows, Allen, Jackson....etc?? The AFC is nuts...new day.

Look at what the last 2 Superbowl winners do.

Fans just need to grow up and stop being hypocrites

4 minutes ago, laiccm said:

More baggage....with ALOT more talent. Will he be suspended? Maybe....but we only have a few seasons of the top time of players like Gareett, Chubb....Hunt. etc...

You want Baker versus Holmes, Herbert, Burrows, Allen, Jackson....etc?? The AFC is nuts...new day.

Look at what the last 2 Superbowl winners do.

He's going to be suspended. That's pretty standard in today's NFL.

ALOT more talent? Possibly. Leading the NFL in stats for a 4-12 team. He's bigger & more mobile, that's what I see. 

He took a year off because he was a baby about Texans' roster moves with the new GM.

There's nothing hypocritical in any of my statements. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

He took a year off because he was a baby about Texans' roster moves with the new GM.

Houston dumped arguably the best receiver in the NFL because they didn't want to pay him what he was worth.

I'd be pretty pissed about that too.   Houston has not been a well run franchise sans a few nice (really nice) draft pics.   They traded for then paid Tunsil a ton of money to be an above average LT...    The rest of their Oline and running game has been deteriorating since Kubiak left.

2 hours ago, laiccm said:

A good portion of the Browns fanbase ridiculed Steelers fans and their organization for years for continuing to support a purported sexual predator in Ben Roethlisberger.

If Deshaun Watson becomes the Browns QB, and those Browns supported him, would that make them hypocritical? 

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

A good portion of the Browns fanbase ridiculed Steelers fans and their organization for years for continuing to support a purported sexual predator in Ben Roethlisberger.

If Deshaun Watson becomes the Browns QB, and those Browns supported him, would that make them hypocritical? 

Yes.....the hypocrisy didn't start with Ben...but I guess that's why fan is shurt for fanatic

13 hours ago, Bob806 said:

He's going to be suspended. That's pretty standard in today's NFL.

ALOT more talent? Possibly. Leading the NFL in stats for a 4-12 team. He's bigger & more mobile, that's what I see. 

There's nothing hypocritical in any of my statements. 

They are hypocritical and bias. Watt left the Texans and apologized to Watson for wasting his talent.

YES...Vastly more talented than Baker.The only people who don't think so is Baker fans

Imagine Watson with a top oline, running game, top 5 defense and Landry and OBJ??

And he didn't take a year off because of that....he wasn't allowed to play.

sheesh ...get basics right

13 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Houston dumped arguably the best receiver in the NFL because they didn't want to pay him what he was worth.

Partially true. Hopkins was under contract through 2022. Bill O'Brien & Hopkins didn't get along, O'Brien shipped him to Arizona in 2020. 

O'Brien screwed that up, yes. Pissed off Watson, yes. 

The business side of the NFL is cold, especially in the salary cap era. Both of those guys signed contracts (Hopkins, Watson). Obviously, the Texans should have rewarded an extension to Hopkins to keep him happy (O'Brien chose not to, probably just welding power). Watson on the other hand, wanted more say so in personnel moves, kind of LeBron-ish. 

I'm not doubting Watson is talented, but when you sign a contract you agree to the terms. He chose to sit out due to all the static surrounding the Texans' management. From a distance, it doesn't look like he's a "team guy." 

So eliminate ( not possible, I know) the sexual misconduct charges....the criticism of Mayfield is he's a "me guy," and so is Watson. Mayfield at $18 million, Watson at $35 million. Similar personalities. 

We will see how it pans out. As a fan I thought the Browns were being smart, announcing that the future was with Mayfield and if he played well in 2022 he'd be offered a good deal. I think it's due diligence to seek to improve every position, but wow they just abandoned a week- old promise/statement to Mayfield due to the Watson ruling. Probably Haslam's doing.

5 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Partially true. Hopkins was under contract through 2022. Bill O'Brien & Hopkins didn't get along, O'Brien shipped him to Arizona in 2020. 

O'Brien screwed that up, yes. Pissed off Watson, yes. 

The business side of the NFL is cold, especially in the salary cap era. Both of those guys signed contracts (Hopkins, Watson). Obviously, the Texans should have rewarded an extension to Hopkins to keep him happy (O'Brien chose not to, probably just welding power). Watson on the other hand, wanted more say so in personnel moves, kind of LeBron-ish. 

I'm not doubting Watson is talented, but when you sign a contract you agree to the terms. He chose to sit out due to all the static surrounding the Texans' management. From a distance, it doesn't look like he's a "team guy." 

So eliminate ( not possible, I know) the sexual misconduct charges....the criticism of Mayfield is he's a "me guy," and so is Watson. Mayfield at $18 million, Watson at $35 million. Similar personalities. 

We will see how it pans out. As a fan I thought the Browns were being smart, announcing that the future was with Mayfield and if he played well in 2022 he'd be offered a good deal. I think it's due diligence to seek to improve every position, but wow they just abandoned a week- old promise/statement to Mayfield due to the Watson ruling. Probably Haslam's doing.

Loyalty is a 2 way street and the NFL teams are known for being disloyal. Texans and the league wasn't going to allow Watson to play last year and as in "me guy"...Why did Watt leave? Why did Watt apologize to Watson for wasting his time? Is Watt  a "me guy"? As in "me guy" I don't care...as long as you have big talent. Baker doesn't...Watson does. 35 mill is a deal right now for a player with his talent.....especially for the salary cap going up. Baker needs everything correctly to go and he is a little above decent. Watson been running for his life with a horrible coach and team...look at his numbers. if you're the GM who didn't even pick Baker why would you hook your career to him with this AFC being insane next season?

6 minutes ago, laiccm said:

Loyalty is a 2 way street 

I concur. I don't normally side with the management end of things, but remember a contract is a contract and neither side is obligated to open up renegotiation when a deal is in place. 

Is Watt  a "me guy"?

Yes & no. The guy was definitely great for many years.

if you're the GM who didn't even pick Baker why would you hook your career to him with this AFC being insane next season?

That is spot-on. However, don't you think this reeks of Haslam? Like I posted earlier, this move doesn't seem to mesh with analytics stuff. Three #1 picks and probably more. 

23 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Neither party is obligated ..correct. Neither party is loyal either such as teams cutting players in the middle of their contracts?

I don't think a "Me guy" has to sacrifice everything to a fault. At a certain point in time you're just being played if the other side is not sacrficing like you are. You catch your spouse cheating and you file for divorce....then your cheating spouse says "youre not supportive of this marriage"....

Maybe Haslem....or the HC and GM with Has have seen the last 2 Superbowl winners. Did Tampa and LA care about their picks or FA more?

58 minutes ago, laiccm said:

if you're the GM who didn't even pick Baker why would you hook your career to him with this AFC being insane next season?

AB didn’t select Garrett, Chubb, Ward, Hunt, etc. but he’s going to ride with them.

6 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

AB didn’t select Garrett, Chubb, Ward, Hunt, etc. but he’s going to ride with them.

They're not quarterbacks and better at their position than Baker was at his. No GM totally flips a squad but they get their own QB generally

44 minutes ago, laiccm said:

They're not quarterbacks and better at their position than Baker was at his. No GM totally flips a squad but they get their own QB generally

Keep moving those goalposts.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/16/2022 at 2:26 PM, laiccm said:

Yeah...I noticed how you picked out Josh Gordon to make your point but not Albert Bell who ran over kids or Jim Brown who probably been beating women for decades...

I just saw a friend I know post this hypocrisy and I know he voted for Trump.

Your points are weak...if you were that much on a pedestal you should've stopped watching the league a long time ago

You don't know what happened nor do i...all we know is that the court said Bye....didn't even arrest him..like Kareem Hunt.

If he wasn't a QB with numbers he would be a footnote? Isn't that every player??lol

Is this Ghoolie?   I see he's been absent a few days at another Brown's forum....

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/16/2022 at 3:35 PM, Bob806 said:

Haslam is a fool.  And that’s why I sold my PSL’s a few years ago. 
And to the people that are on here claiming they won’t renew their season tickets, I say BS. Until they actually do it, I don’t believe them

I still, and always will, root for the Browns. But I sure as hell won’t give my money to Jimma again

• Upvote 1