THE BROWNS BOARD

Lesters and Such

Axe

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 6:09 PM, Orion said:

The newbie SG meets his brother LP   :)    (both Sparkling Burgundy- SG Special and Les Paul Modern )  

SG & LP.png

I love SG's... The necks are a bit cumbersome for me because of the amount of shoulder on the neck... But I love the sound...

2 hours ago, nickers said:

The necks are a bit

Yeah, that's a thing with SG's.  The neck wants to dive.  You have to use a grippy backed strap.  And then the placement of the strap button makes you get a good view of the back of the neck with the face of the guitar tipped away from you.  But it's a great sitting guitar.

I knew all of the negatives because I used to own one years ago but I traded it in on something because I found that I didn't like chunky necks and really tall frets.  This one, of course, is a slim C neck and medium jumbo frets...which is what I like.  And it comes with the P90's like my old one did.  I liked the sound of the old one...and I like the sound of this one.  I just wonder what it would sound like with Seymore Duncan Antiquities in it....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Strap came in today.  Truss rod cover, the other day.

SG & Strap -m.png

Dude that is a wicked look

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Dude that is a wicked look

It's a Perri's strap.  Nice leather.  Nice grippy suede inside.  Perfect for an SG (half, dumb luck).  80 bucks on their site.  I got the last one on Amazon for $28.  (the other half)    Gotta tell ya though, it doesn't look good with the Brown jersey.  :)  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Axe said:

Thank to Fedex, This is what my SG looked like when they were done with it

Oh my!   And that's always the fear with the package handlers.  Especially with those swept back headstocks of Gibsons.  

Looks real nice in the 'after' shot.  It's a Standard right?  And it's not faded pelham blue right?

7 hours ago, Orion said:

Oh my!   And that's always the fear with the package handlers.  Especially with those swept back headstocks of Gibsons.  

Looks real nice in the 'after' shot.  It's a Standard right?  And it's not faded pelham blue right?

I'd sold it to a fella in Va and that's what it looked like when it got there :( I reimbursed him and paid to have it sent back. The luthier had it for months and yes it is a Standard in Pelham Blue. That was the hold up, getting the paint from Gibson. While we were at it I had a Seymour Duncan JB/59 set of pups dropped in.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/5/2023 at 6:47 PM, Axe said:

Seymour Duncan JB/59 set of pups dropped in.

I'm thinking of going that rout.. I love my SD distortion SH-6.. But It doesn't clean up like it should when rolling back the volume knob... But I do love the dripping power of it...

4 hours ago, nickers said:

I'm thinking of going that rout.. I love my SD distortion SH-6.. But It doesn't clean up like it should when rolling back the volume knob... But I do love the dripping power of it...

I just counted, 15 of my instruments have the JB/59 or JB/Jazz combos in them and each has a slightly different personality despite have the same pups in them

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Axe said:

I just counted, 15 of my instruments have the JB/59 or JB/Jazz combos in them and each has a slightly different personality despite have the same pups in them

I have found all my guitars have a little something different than the others... A couple are downright thoroughbreds... The other are great cruisers... I beat the crap out of them lol...