THE BROWNS BOARD

Climate change pledge

9 hours ago, htownbrown said:

I believe there is mmgw, but I'll never vote for a politician on that premise alone.  Never ever.  I don't think the data says what you think it does.  So I will never have your level of urgency, I've already laid out several reasons why in this thread alone.  Furthermore, I don't think there is a politician who knows enough about the subject to have any credible plan.

We are all, every fucking one us, buying a ton of products from China, the biggest polluter on the planet.  Everyone includes you.  They give no shits who you voted for in Ohio.  You will never see zero emissions on government regulations.  That is preposterous thinking.  The real solution is unequivocally in the private sector.  When the technology is there and cheap, China and the US will jump aboard.  That's not whataboutism btw.

That also goes for the efficiency of the products we buy as well.  The government didn't decide your clothes dryer had to run on less electricity, but they started to become available and people bought them.  It happened pretty organically.  You can still go buy a completely inefficient one if you want, but why?  You better pray some greedy CEO is sitting in his italian leather captains chair salivating at the chance to be first to the market.  Otherwise, from your perspective of the world, we're fucked.

All that aside, the climate evangel you preach doesn't preclude you of your own criticisms.  You can't say if I don't believe in your ideology than it's all on me.  To start with, there is nothing that says what you believe in will make a global impact.  It doesn't matter that you care more, if you're consuming goods from the same polluting companies as the unwashed masses.

I don't think the data says what you think it does. But that's the beauty here, that's why we have experts. 

You can want change and not think the world will end tomorrow if that change doesn't happen.

Again, step one is agreeing a plan needs to happen. There are people on this board and in this country that don't even think climate change is occurring. That is a major roadblock right now.

Again, I disagree the solution is the private sector. Again, I give the example of the meat packing industry from over 100 years ago. Capitalism doesn't have a mechanism to care about the damage it's actions might cause decades down the road or in the current state if it isn't creating a negative financial impact. Sweeping change will come through govt regulations and changes. Even further subsidation of those efforts to improve the climate. Maybe, god forbid, we pull some money from defense spending. 

Again, we need to seriously start this conversation and start seriously investing resources and effort. If a large chunk of this country thinks it is a hoax from China we'll never get to that point. Driving a car with gas or buying a product from China is just an inconsequential drop in the bucket at this point. Sure, buy local and recycle. All positive. But the real change needed is at a much larger level than that. That's why gas companies pushed the individual responsibility angle, to get the target off of them. 

Don't go vote based on a single issue fine, but let's hope we can start voting in people that believe man is affecting the climate and that can at least see further ahead in time than a few years. Or hell, vote in people that listen to experts. That's a start. 

• Haha 1

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Don't go vote based on a single issue fine, but let's hope we can start voting in people that believe man is affecting the climate and that can at least see further ahead in time than a few years. Or hell, vote in people that listen to experts. That's a start. 

2021-07-08_103806.png.ed0aa53dd77906dcda21895f80c66cbd.png

4 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

From what I've read Monarchs are becoming endangered because of pesticide usage, not climate change.  But go ahead and believe your boy Beto.🤣

Monarch butterflies eat milkweed, lay their eggs in milkweed.. The more area lost to development, the harder it is for the butterflies to find milkweed plants and other plants they eat.

The use of insecticides and chemicals like roundup - also kill them.

https://www.aol.com/news/monarch-butterflies-endangered-help-them-190457976.html

5 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

From what I've read Monarchs are becoming endangered because of pesticide usage, not climate change.  But go ahead and believe your boy Beto.🤣

Did I say climate change is wiping them out? No.

However there was a major freeze twenty years ago in their Mexican wintering areas that killed off more that winter than all of the other more current causes combined. 

https://journeynorth.org/tm/monarch/StormJanuary2002.html

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Did I say climate change is wiping them out? No.

However there was a major freeze twenty years ago in their Mexican wintering areas that killed off more that winter than all of the other more current causes combined. 

https://journeynorth.org/tm/monarch/StormJanuary2002.html

So they froze to death in Mexico?

That’s a sure sign of global warming! 🤣🤪😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

So they froze to death in Mexico?

That’s a sure sign of global warming! 🤣🤪😂

And I'll say the same to you. I never made the claim that the demise of the Monarchs was due to global warming. I merely implied that when they are gone and warming has progressed, I hope the Blue Morpho replaces them in our new tropical Texas rainforest. Right now though we are the new Sahara. We've even gotten Saharan dust from across the pond.

5 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I don't think the data says what you think it does. But that's the beauty here, that's why we have experts.   

Uhhh...sure

You can want change and not think the world will end tomorrow if that change doesn't happen.

Irrelevant 

Again, step one is agreeing a plan needs to happen. There are people on this board and in this country that don't even think climate change is occurring. That is a major roadblock right now.

So am I more responsible for climate change if I don't support YOUR plan?

Again, I disagree the solution is the private sector. Again, I give the example of the meat packing industry from over 100 years ago. Capitalism doesn't have a mechanism to care about the damage it's actions might cause decades down the road or in the current state if it isn't creating a negative financial impact. 

Sure, but what your asking for is investors to foot the bill for your carbon footprint.  If you don't demand a good, they won't supply it.  A company doesn't supply a good and say you have to buy it.  If they supply a product at a higher price than your willing pay, it's game over.  Go ask BMW why they don't produce the same amount of cars as Toyota. 

Sweeping change will come through govt regulations and changes.  

If you regulate energy supply for companies, you'll end up with less goods at a higher price.  You may see lower emissions from less production, but you can't circumnavigate the law of supply and demand.  

Even further subsidation of those efforts to improve the climate. 

Finally, something slightly palatable.  

Maybe, god forbid, we pull some money from defense spending. 

Again, we need to seriously start this conversation and start seriously investing resources and effort.

You couldn't be more vague.  

If a large chunk of this country thinks it is a hoax from China we'll never get to that point. 

Huh?  

Driving a car with gas or buying a product from China is just an inconsequential drop in the bucket at this point. 

And yet, your angry with companies who produce them.  

Sure, buy local and recycle. All positive. But the real change needed is at a much larger level than that.

So if China and other polluters don't agree with American energy policy, how do you suppose you get them to stop polluting?  You're never going to get to zero emissions without them.  

That's why gas companies pushed the individual responsibility angle, to get the target off of them.  

FFS, it was all for the money we paid them.  We (globally) demanded it and they supplied it.  WTF else would you expect?

I know you don't agree, but I don't find it urgent.  I believe the private sector will figure it out before the progressives will concoct and implement any meaningful GLOBAL "plan".  I think Cysko posted an article about some Canadian company running an engine off atmospheric CO2.  WhoTF in the legislature could even dream up something better for your cause?  AOC?  Sanders?  Biden?  Point in the direction of this mythical politician. 

Biden just sold 5 million barrels of reserve oil to Europe and China, while republicans tried to stop him.  You voted for Biden and typically I vote for republicans.  Are you more responsible for damage caused from that oil because you voted for Biden?  That seems to be your logic...

• Upvote 3

So I have a few questions for any qualified climate alarmist...

If the US goes completely green on energy usage without the other major energy consumers also going green (i.e. China), how will the end result be positive unless we have the capability to transport green energy to the world market?

If we stop consuming fossil fuels and CONTINUE to produce them, would we drop the price so low that it would actually be a disincentive for others to make the switch?  

If we stop consuming fossil fuels and STOP producing them as well, where is the revenue to fill that void from the most traded commodity in the world?  A lot of people bring up the jobs green energy would create domestically, but where are we in the world market?  Would it damage our "buying power" globally?  The last question may sound greedy, but it's more or less the catalyst of mmgw.

If you can, eventually, transport green energy to the world market how do you see that playing out economically and geopolitically?  I wouldn't consider a trade off of global warming for global war a net positive.

woody experts on CNN.

We're all gonna die from mmgw, I mean, "climate change", probably tomorrow or maybe Nov 4, so everybody vote for liberals in elections.

deja vu all over again. and again. for decades.

https://redstate.com/jimthompson/2022/07/27/cnns-climate-correspondent-predicts-all-life-on-earth-is-about-to-end-n602728

12 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

woody experts on CNN.

We're all gonna die from mmgw, I mean, "climate change", probably tomorrow or maybe Nov 4, so everybody vote for liberals in elections.

deja vu all over again. and again. for decades.

https://redstate.com/jimthompson/2022/07/27/cnns-climate-correspondent-predicts-all-life-on-earth-is-about-to-end-n602728

image.thumb.png.9436cdbe32e80fedc767fe81589f02fb.png

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, JAFBF said:

well, I'm doing my part - I'm having campfires often. Dutch oven cooking, s'mores for the neighbors.... we just have to warm up our planet before we turn into a giant round ice globe!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

(btw, every time I see the lefties say "climate change" when they USED to say "man made global warming" I lol. Dishonest idiots)

On 8/8/2022 at 10:52 AM, calfoxwc said:

well, I'm doing my part - I'm having campfires often. Dutch oven cooking, s'mores for the neighbors.... we just have to warm up our planet before we turn into a giant round ice globe!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

(btw, every time I see the lefties say "climate change" when they USED to say "man made global warming" I lol. Dishonest idiots)

Because Climate change can mean warm up or cool down.  They so smart.

Jan 19, 2022NASA. Earth's core is cooling at rates faster than previously thought, which could speed the planet's inevitable march toward uninhabitability millions or billions of years from now, researchers ...
Gore and other global warming proponents believe that pollution from carbon dioxide is causing climate change. Others like Casey believe that the Earth's weather is simply going through a cyclical ...
The most likely explanation for the lack of significant warming at the Earth's surface in the past decade or so is that natural climate cycles—a series of La Niña events and a negative phase of the lesser-known Pacific Decadal Oscillation—caused shifts in ocean circulation patterns that moved some excess heat into the deep ocean.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

While that sounds troubling, lakes have dried up throughout the earth's history.

Category:Former lakes - Wikipedia

Problem solved. Your state of Texas is full of man-made lakes, why not just make more? 

12 hours ago, FY56 said:

While that sounds troubling, lakes have dried up throughout the earth's history.

Category:Former lakes - Wikipedia

Problem solved. Your state of Texas is full of man-made lakes, why not just make more? 

Hate to tell ya this but we have had one 1" rain here since April 1st and we are down to Drought II level water restrictions. We are approaching the Great Drought of 2011. We have a few days a week from now with around 50% chance, the greatest since that same date. Trees are so stressed they are dropping leaves like it's already fall.

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Hate to tell ya this but we have had one 1" rain here since April 1st and we are down to Drought II level water restrictions. We are approaching the Great Drought of 2011. We have a few days a week from now with around 50% chance, the greatest since that same date. Trees are so stressed they are dropping leaves like it's already fall.

And?

WSS

48 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ask Kentucky for some water….they have plenty to spare.

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

And?

WSS

And you better buy as much beef as you can put in your freezer because they are selling them so fast it will take a few years to bring back the herds. Prices are as low as they are gonna get before the herds are too small to produce. That will drive the price way up nationwide some time next year.

28 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And you better buy as much beef as you can put in your freezer because they are selling them so fast it will take a few years to bring back the herds. Prices are as low as they are gonna get before the herds are too small to produce. That will drive the price way up nationwide some time next year.

And how will sending billions of American tax dollars to the Europeans to Fritter away on social programs change any of that? Keep in mind that only an idiot believes the climate is not changing in any direction at all. And only an idiot believes he can stop it by giving away money to the europeans. Or slow it down without taking very drastic steps which would cost them the election. Just face reality kids.

Screaming at politicians or ringing your hands does exactly zero.

WSS

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That doesn't sound too good. But you obviously recovered from the great drought of 2011.  Did that drought come as a result of climate change too, or is it just this one?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, FY56 said:

That doesn't sound too good. But you obviously recovered from the great drought of 2011.  Did that drought come as a result of climate change too, or is it just this one?

So the climate can change over the years? How long has this been happening?

It's the Dinosaurs fault  had they taken better care or their climate there would not of been an ice age and then them being killed and creating all that oil.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vambo said:

So the climate can change over the years? How long has this been happening?

It's the Dinosaurs fault  had they taken better care or their climate there would not of been an ice age and then them being killed and creating all that oil.

Oh stop

you know God hate’s dinosaurs and it

had nothing to do with ice ages…

• Haha 1