THE BROWNS BOARD

Climate change pledge

2 hours ago, htownbrown said:

So do you recall why it peaked in 1983?

Unless someone is purposely trying to be dramatic 1983 should not be a reference point.

It is not also clear whether the 1983 peak was 100% capacity (or more since most reservoirs have a spillway when it reaches 100%).

EDIT: Found this youtube on it.  Sounds like it was record snowfalls in the Rockies feeding the Colorado. That's a great hike to the headwaters in RMNP by the way. Residents felt the powers that be should have handled it better with greater releases from the dam well before the snowmelt went out of control.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It is not also clear whether the 1983 peak was 100% capacity (or more since most reservoirs have a spillway when it reaches 100%).

EDIT: Found this youtube on it.  

That's why it's not really a reference point?  It's an anomaly. 

While, sure, it does rely a little on local rainfall to contribute to it's supply, it also has been a desert before humans arrived on the continent.  However, the source of the water that feeds it is still going strong.  So even if I grant you that GW is playing some role, do you really think the lack of desert rainfall is the problem?  You think it's possible that the growth of communities in the region may require most of the water that it takes to keep Lake Mead full?  It doesn't require that you give up all your climate ideology to acknowledge human consumption of the water may be driving this particular problem.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

Just stop.

Enough of the sky is falling crap.

Try something fun like a jet fuel drag race or something.

If you live in the desert southwest, or happen to depend on water from Lake Meade for your farming, it's damn close to the sky is falling.  Isn't just water hammer... the Hoover Dam supplies billions of megawatts to Las Vegas....  Um, the water level is in danger of dropping to the point, that thar dam isn't going to be no damn good for producing electricity... Turn out the lights in 'Vegas, the party's over.  :(  Sure- it would be very possible to decrease the water flowing out of the Hoover Dam, but there's these things called water compacts... Where areas downstream from Lake Meade are (by law) guaranteed to get their fair share of the water.  

58 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

That's why it's not really a reference point?  It's an anomaly. 

While, sure, it does rely a little on local rainfall to contribute to it's supply, it also has been a desert before humans arrived on the continent.  However, the source of the water that feeds it is still going strong.  So even if I grant you that GW is playing some role, do you really think the lack of desert rainfall is the problem?  You think it's possible that the growth of communities in the region may require most of the water that it takes to keep Lake Mead full?  It doesn't require that you give up all your climate ideology to acknowledge human consumption of the water may be driving this particular problem.

RE: the source of water for the Colorado is still going strong?  Wrong. Most of the water in the Colorado comes from snowmelt, and it's been damn scarce in the Rockies for over 30 years. There was an excellent article 15-20 or so years ago- I believe it was in Outside- that sounded the warning bells way back then. A little factoid- most of the snowmelt in the Rockies (like 70%) flows to the east. Diverting water from rivers like the Arkansas (and others) over the highest mountain range in the country?  Don't think so.  BTW, upstream from Lake Meade, you have Lake Powell and the Glen Canyon dam. Not publicized as much, but it's water level has taken a serious beating too.  

OK, I'll even grant that climate change may not be the problem... But didn't take long to get the Google answer to my question... 75% of the water diverted out of Lake Meade goes to agriculture.  Nice thinking there- growing crops in a climate that won't support growing them- in a stinking desert.  Yeah, top it off with explosive growth in cities like Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas aren't helping matters either.  

17 minutes ago, hoorta said:

If you live in the desert southwest, or happen to depend on water from Lake Meade for your farming, it's damn close to the sky is falling.  Isn't just water hammer... the Hoover Dam supplies billions of megawatts to Las Vegas....  Um, the water level is in danger of dropping to the point, that thar dam isn't going to be no damn good for producing electricity... Turn out the lights in 'Vegas, the party's over.  :(  Sure- it would be very possible to decrease the water flowing out of the Hoover Dam, but there's these things called water compacts... Where areas downstream from Lake Meade are (by law) guaranteed to get their fair share of the water.  

RE: the source of water for the Colorado is still going strong?  Wrong. Most of the water in the Colorado comes from snowmelt, and it's been damn scarce in the Rockies for over 30 years. There was an excellent article 15-20 or so years ago- I believe it was in Outside- that sounded the warning bells way back then. A little factoid- most of the snowmelt in the Rockies (like 70%) flows to the east. Diverting water from rivers like the Arkansas (and others) over the highest mountain range in the country?  Don't think so.  BTW, upstream from Lake Meade, you have Lake Powell and the Glen Canyon dam. Not publicized as much, but it's water level has taken a serious beating too.  

OK, I'll even grant that climate change may not be the problem... But didn't take long to get the Google answer to my question... 75% of the water diverted out of Lake Meade goes to agriculture.  Nice thinking there- growing crops in a climate that won't support growing them- in a stinking desert.  Yeah, top it off with explosive growth in cities like Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas aren't helping matters either.  

Well, data from the Colorado Snow Survey Program from April, claimed the snowpack was 91% of average statewide and suggested that GW prematurely melted the 9% in early spring.  

But yeah, the real problem is political science, not climate science.  Upstream tends to need more than downstream wants them to have, but that's desert life...

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

dOK, I'll even grant that climate change may not be the problem... But didn't take long to get the Google answer to my question... 75% of the water diverted out of Lake Meade goes to agriculture.  Nice thinking there- growing crops in a climate that won't support growing them- in a stinking desert.  Yeah, top it off with explosive growth in cities like Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas aren't helping matters either.  

When the levels of water got really low at Lake Folsom above Sacramento they decreased the water going downstream in the American River and told the rice farmers that there just wasn't enough for their water intensive rice farming and to supply cities as well. So the rice farmers had to eat it until the rains finally came back again and filled the reservoir. Took a while.

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Florida family drives into electric car problem: a replacement battery costs more than vehicle itself
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FY56 said:

So what would happen if all Co2 emissions stopped tomorrow?

Nothing much.

Yes.... 

- it will take time to reverse the damage that's been done

- there are still plenty of be benefits to reducing emissions

- we can only really make an improvement long term by doing so

- technology is being developed to pull emissions out of the atmosphere 

45 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Yes.... 

- it will take time to reverse the damage that's been done

- there are still plenty of be benefits to reducing emissions

- we can only really make an improvement long term by doing so

- technology is being developed to pull emissions out of the atmosphere 

CAR COMPANIES PLAN FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLES BY 2040, BUT INFRASTRUCTURE DEMANDS POSE MAJOR STUMBLING BLOCK

16 hours ago, Vambo said:

Yes, agreed... Replacing a lithium-ion car battery can be damn expensive. (Hint- buy stock in lithium mining companies) I'm not going to look up the number of amp-hours those batteries hold- but it's a lot. Tesla batteries are 350 volts too, don't stick a screwdriver in one.  :) Speaking of Tesla, they're doing tons of research on how to drive the cost of those batteries down, and they've reduced it by 50% per kilowatt-hour.  Small consolation when a Tesla replacement battery currently runs around $13,000 bucks.  However, Elon Musk is saying those batteries will hold up for at least 300,000 miles and 1,500 charge\discharge cycles... 

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yes, agreed... Replacing a lithium-ion car battery can be damn expensive. (Hint- buy stock in lithium mining companies)

I bought this one a little over 3 years ago, it’s done OK.

C271434B-96B5-4D28-9395-DF6A3F1FED6B.jpeg

• Upvote 1

For years, climate realists around the world have been warning the international community that the entire man-made global warming myth and resulting hysteria is all a scheme to redistribute ...

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Open SmartNews and read "White House could declare climate emergency as soon as Wednesday: sources" here: https://share.smartnews.com/7jSyb
To read it on the web, tap here: https://share.smartnews.com/TnzCk

He might declare it but not much he can do about it...  He could help out our friends in Europe shipping over a few billion worth of air conditioners.  🙄

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:
For years, climate realists around the world have been warning the international community that the entire man-made global warming myth and resulting hysteria is all a scheme to redistribute ...

FOX? You mean the entertainment network?  :D :D :D Citing an article that's 13 years old? How typical of you Cal.  Let me give you a touch of more recent news. Europe is currently suffering through a record heat wave, Great Britain set their all time record of 104 degrees yesterday. Plenty of other countries at 100+. Folks are dying Cal... Keep on believing it's all phony... Fortunately, the Global Warming deniers are in the minority.  

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/18/europe-heat-wave-wildfires-record-temperatures

38 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Hoorta.  CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, PBS, etc are all extremely liberal biased.  Fox is conservative biased.  They show accurate news when reported.  But most news outlets now are nothing more than opinion pieces.  

I'll grant your liberal bias, (regarding MSM) but IIRC when FOX got sued, they got out of it by claiming they were only there for "entertainment" value. Of course there's always OAN, which might get sued out of existence as a right wing propaganda channel.  

PS... It may have changed, but when I saw the channel lineup for the 1\6 committee hearing Thursday... FOX was conspicuously missing.  :) 

Rank and file AMS scientists never had a say, which is why so many of them are now openly rebelling. Estimates of skepticism within the AMS regarding man-made global warming are well over 50 percent. The second reason not to rely on a "scientific consensus" in these matters is that this is not how science works.

The media, public and political establishment constantly recite the false assertion that 97% of scientists say the problem is real and man-made carbon dioxide (CO 2) is the cause. However, increased concentrations of CO 2 in the atmosphere do not lead to global warming and climate change. Carbon dioxide is a trace gas in the atmosphere.

Those who say man-made CO2 is causing global warming, need to show us from a thermodynamics perspective, how man's microscopic contribution of CO2 (about one part in 2400) into the atmosphere ...
If we didn't know better, we might think that global warming hysteria is a hoax designed to scare voters into approving of vast subsidies for politically connected "green" energy companies. Glenn Reynolds has often said that he will believe that global warming is a crisis when the climate alarmists start acting like it is a crisis.

Jun 19, 2015E verybody is talking about global warming. Clearly, it's got a great publicist. Clearly, it's got a great publicist. My guess is it's the same one that Amy Schumer uses.
Imagine how wonderful the world would be if man-made global warming were just a figment of Al Gore's imagination. No more ugly wind farms to darken our sunlit uplands. No more whopping ...
Feb 9, 2015Alarmist Assertion #5. "Allergies Worsen - Allergy sufferers beware: Climate change could cause pollen counts to double in the next 30 years. The warming temperatures cause advancing weed ...

Staff Writer April 17, 2018. Some time ago, I wrote a letter stating that over 30,000 scientists (by name) have said "catastrophic man-made global warming" is a complete hoax and science is a lie. I thought for sure that the Douglas County Global Warming Coalition would submit a rebuttal using the worn-out 'denier' word.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:
Staff Writer April 17, 2018. Some time ago, I wrote a letter stating that over 30,000 scientists (by name) have said "catastrophic man-made global warming" is a complete hoax and science is a lie. I thought for sure that the Douglas County Global Warming Coalition would submit a rebuttal using the worn-out 'denier' word.

If I had all the time you apparently do to dig up outlier opinions...  I'm quite sure I can dig up 10X the science that Global Warming is in fact occurring.  But your brick wall  mind is closed to any possibility of any other POV.  Only believe what you want to believe regardless. :( Boo-hoo, and wah-wah... 

As an Astronomy nerd... Let me just give you Exhibit A...  Our sister planet Venus, if it had an Earthlike atmosphere would be quite habitable- at it's North and South poles. However, since it's atmosphere is almost totally carbon dioxide, the surface of the planet, with the Greenhouse effect in full display- is hot enough to melt lead.  So increased levels of CO2 in our atmosphere have a direct correlation to the crazy 100+ degree temperatures we're seeing globally.  That happens to be science, not some whack job contrarian bullshit. BTW, 2022 Europe isn't some anomaly either. Since you have plenty of spare time on your hands- I'll let you look up the overall world-wide increases in temperature over the last few years. Those retreating glaciers in Alaska and Patagonia don't lie Cal.. Now please go back to your denial rabbit hole.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, hoorta said:

If I had all the time you apparently do to dig up outlier opinions...  I'm quite sure I can dig up 10X the science that Global Warming is in fact occurring.  But your brick wall  mind is closed to any possibility of any other POV.  Only believe what you want to believe regardless. :( Boo-hoo, and wah-wah... 

As an Astronomy nerd... Let me just give you Exhibit A...  Our sister planet Venus, if it had an Earthlike atmosphere would be quite habitable- at it's North and South poles. However, since it's atmosphere is almost totally carbon dioxide, the surface of the planet, with the Greenhouse effect in full display- is hot enough to melt lead.  So increased levels of CO2 in our atmosphere have a direct correlation to the crazy 100+ degree temperatures we're seeing globally.  That happens to be science, not some whack job contrarian bullshit. BTW, 2022 Europe isn't some anomaly either. Since you have plenty of spare time on your hands- I'll let you look up the overall world-wide increases in temperature over the last few years. Those retreating glaciers in Alaska and Patagonia don't lie Cal.. Now please go back to your denial rabbit hole.  

Gotta agree w/Larry on this one...  Just like Mars was basically stripped of its atmosphere... Venus is the polar opposite.. We are going to have to get clever because Fossil Fuels won't sustain us very long... We have barely 50-100 years of fossil resources left on the planet.. With constant population increasing that may vanish sooner... We need to really focus on water as a prime energy source... And of course look for other alternative sources... The great thing about water is... All the water that has ever been on earth is still on earth.. And will continue to be unless it's miraculously blown away from Earth and the atmosphere.. Also... We should really focus on Teslas Wardenclyffe Tower model as a distributer of Electricity through the atmosphere itself... There really is no need for wall plugs... Batteries , etc.... We can do this!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Gotta agree w/Larry on this one...  Just like Mars was basically stripped of its atmosphere... Venus is the polar opposite.. We are going to have to get clever because Fossil Fuels won't sustain us very long... We have barely 50-100 years of fossil resources left on the planet.. With constant population increasing that may vanish sooner... We need to really focus on water as a prime energy source... And of course look for other alternative sources... The great thing about water is... All the water that has ever been on earth is still on earth.. And will continue to be unless it's miraculously blown away from Earth and the atmosphere.. Also... We should really focus on Teslas Wardenclyffe Tower model as a distributer of Electricity through the atmosphere itself... There really is no need for wall plugs... Batteries , etc.... We can do this!

DHB, and a few others think that this is way funny.  Yeah, we'll probably all be dead and buried before the real crunch comes. I'd like to leave the planet in better shape before I got here... Not like the attitude- fuck the future folks 100 years down the road. Sorry we used up all those fossil fuels. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

DHB, and a few others think that this is way funny.  Yeah, we'll probably all be dead and buried before the real crunch comes. I'd like to leave the planet in better shape before I got here... Not like the attitude- fuck the future folks 100 years down the road. Sorry we used up all those fossil fuels. 

Don't worry your hero Joe Biden and Kamala will fix everything look how well they are doing on inflation, the southern border, crime, Afghanistan, gas prices, food prices etc...

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Hey all of the people who sit there and laugh can go look it up.. For me it's not Democrat or Republican issue.. It's a basic Human life survival issue.. I have watched and read countless documentaries on this... Go ahead and laugh all you like... Your grandchildren and future generations will be the ones to suffer for your arrogance... And ignorance...