THE BROWNS BOARD

Eagles at Browns preseason game 2 chatroom

gumby73

6 minutes ago, alporcini said:

Much more enjoyable than listening to the Jags guys last week. Joe is great fun

amen to that brother... Joe has many opts on his time.. i think he's help himself again today, being aired on the NFLNetwork

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

That kicker has a canon...jesus.

that's 55 yards, that hits more than half up the pipe... good lord..

Eagles go bombs away for TD...  Philly back up 21-20.. I've lost game feed.. bad storms..I'm out to view on NFL plus

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And I personally think 17 games is really pushing it.  I'd rather have 16 or even 14 but the owners would never buy that. 

umm...it's gonna be 18 games in the near future.  They ain't ever reducing the # of games.  Perhaps it'll go down to 2 preseason games?  If so, I'll predict each game comes with a preparation week with the opponent.  

What I remember right now:

Harley Davidson almost got hit in the foot with a punt bounce.  If ya think ya might have trouble fielding the punt, then get out of the way and tell everyone else the same.  Man we're hurting in the punt return game.  And it's not like our D could get them any game practice at it.

Every preseason I feel bad for John Kelly Jr.  That guy plays hard, and is pretty decent...but he's got like, NO HOPE of making this team.  I hope some team pays attention to his tape this year.

Yorky seems pretty good.  But after York's Doink we gave up the 55 yard game winning TD. :(   I still like JaMarcus Bradley, but he only had 2 catches on 5 targets.  Fields showed up on camera a bunch ( 1 tackle, 5 assists).  Alex Wright did a good job (4 tackles, 1 assist).  Rumor has it that Wright had a good week of practice against the Eagles.

Josh Rosen didn't show much...but he's stuck with the umteen stringers.  I'm going to have to assume that he's to be cut and we go with Brisket and Dobbs.

Miller, the CB, dropped a TD.  It was an EASY, easy catch and run.  There's no excuse for an NFL DB to drop a ball thrown to him like that.

Joe Thomas in the Booth:  He's quite knowledgeable.  He's getting better at it.  I do like him.  I hope he continues to hone that craft.

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Im done with Schwartz.  Guy gets arm tackled on a end around, dropped a pass and missed a block on run.  

The Schwartz drops passes from Baker, DW, Dobbs…doesn’t matter.

He’s an equal opportunity pass dropper, like Braylon Edwards, and Chris Colwman.

You can’t teach someone to stop dropping balls, time to cut his ass.

14 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Schwartz today, 3 targets, 2 receptions, 20 yards.

Him and Rosen are two of the most Dufassy lookin' guys in their helmets...

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I still think Dobbs might be the real deal. I hope he plays a lot in game 3 of preseason as well. But of course I'm not there watching them practice every day either, so I'm at a disadvantage for selecting the 11 game starter for the Browns.

From my sideline view... Dobbs looked VERY good, but it's preseason. Schwartz is #1 on my most likely to be cut list.  Fast as lightning, hands of stone.

Browns second string defense was a sieve.

Thankfully, the rain stopped on the walk to the stadium.

10 hours ago, Orion said:

I still like JaMarcus Bradley, but he only had 2 catches on 5 targets.  

But at least we can trust Bradley to catch a dang 🏈... Berry needs to quit coddling his picks & sign WR/PR Will Fuller.. like ToDay..

Schwartz only camp comp battle was with David Bell.. (who missed most of it) Harley Davidson saw most of Bell's camp reps.. imo ,Berry won't have the nutz to cut Schwartz..

Coop/DPJ/Fuller?/Bell/Schwartz gives Bissette/Dobbs at least a chance on passing downs, if ball is placed in *WR's area code (*Goodbye Josh Rosen)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

But at least we can trust Bradley to catch a dang 🏈... Berry needs to quit coddling his picks & sign WR/PR Will Fuller.. like ToDay..

Schwartz only camp comp battle was with David Bell.. (who missed most of it) Harley Davidson saw most of Bell's camp reps.. imo ,Berry won't have the nutz to cut Schwartz..

Coop/DPJ/Fuller?/Bell/Schwartz gives Bissette/Dobbs at least a chance on passing downs, if ball is placed in *WR's area code (*Goodbye Josh Rosen)

I hear ya Gumbs!  If Berry is waiting for Schwartz to just get coached up - good luck with that!  This guy runs himself into coverage far more than he knows how to sit on a route in space.  There's absolutely no feel for the game in this guy.  Even worse, he can't catch.  I remembered hearing the Browns were just going to coach up Quincy Morgan, Michael Jackson, and Greg Little.  It sure felt like those guys were serial drive killers.  The problem with wasting too much time on guys like that when we had a guy like Keenan McCardell on our roster getting very few chances here - is/was the Browns gave up on the better player WITH upside sticking with the bad idea.  If square pegging round holes was the right thing to do, the Browns would have way more than 2 playoff appearance since 1999.

I'm guessing the reasons nobody signed Fuller yet are he's never healthy and he tested positive for PEDs within the last year or so.  Maybe injuries around the league will make him more attractive to teams in need.  I'd rather stay away from guys like him and DeSean Jackson and try to see what we have in a guy like Felton in the slot/flanked out or in motion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

From my sideline view... Dobbs looked VERY good, but it's preseason. Schwartz is #1 on my most likely to be cut list.  Fast as lightning, hands of stone.

Browns second string defense was a sieve.

Thankfully, the rain stopped on the walk to the stadium.

Those are my main takeaways as well. Dobbs looked like he should be in the conversation to start. Defensive back-ups are underwhelming to say the least. You cannot give up yards against the run like that. Browns would do well to invest draft picks to get more defensive depth, and maybe sign some veterans.

10 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

He’s an equal opportunity pass dropper, like Braylon Edwards, and Chris Colwman.

You can’t teach someone to stop dropping balls, time to cut his ass.

It's like drafting a QB that can't complete passes thinking "BEAUTIFUL -all we gotta do is coach this guy up"!   Wonderful!  Welcome to Cleveland Spergon Wynn (the guy had a 47% completion rate 1 year in college).  

• Upvote 1

- IDL is still  'Meh' 

- Dobbs looked in command 

- Moffett and, whoever the boundary corner was on the play, blew the zone replace on that deep po.  I was in discord talking to @Nero and Electrc ( not sure who that is on this board though)...  and was rewinding the play -  looked like a yankee with the over going from boundary to field.  Middle field safety stepped to the over and there was no replace on his middle 1/3. Plus Moffett was hanging out too wide and low to get underneath the throw for any chance at a PBU. 

Cant have those types of mental mistakes in the regular season. Hell, that's such a staple play in the NFL anymore, DB's should be able to rotate right in their sleep on that. 

- Schwartz won't be cut. I mentioned it here and there, but it's the Al Davis, "can't teach speed" mentality.   I hate it.   He'll be given every opportunity to fail. 

- Don't really see Will Fuller as an option. Our vertical role is filled by Cooper, plus the PED's thing.  Coming off them, for anybody who knows, soft tissue and ligament injuries tend to be trendy after a cycle.   We'd likely be inviting an even higher injury risk to an already injury prone player.

In watching Dobbs and the game just for a little bit, my honest thought was two fold:

-Totally fine with having Dobbs as the backup. He's clearly earned it and looked poised out there

-I'll give coach Stef credit, those hard fake boot actions are things of beauty. The three concept look off the boot just has guys open. If Brissett can play at that level with obviously significantly better talent, this team can compete at a high level. I'm confident in his ability to do so, especially with the first six weeks of the schedule appearing to be softer.

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

I hear ya Gumbs!  If Berry is waiting for Schwartz to just get coached up - good luck with that!  This guy runs himself into coverage far more than he knows how to sit on a route in space.  There's absolutely no feel for the game in this guy.  Even worse, he can't catch.  I remembered hearing the Browns were just going to coach up Quincy Morgan, Michael Jackson, and Greg Little.  It sure felt like those guys were serial drive killers.  The problem with wasting too much time on guys like that when we had a guy like Keenan McCardell on our roster getting very few chances here - is/was the Browns gave up on the better player WITH upside sticking with the bad idea.  If square pegging round holes was the right thing to do, the Browns would have way more than 2 playoff appearance since 1999.

I'm guessing the reasons nobody signed Fuller yet are he's never healthy and he tested positive for PEDs within the last year or so.  Maybe injuries around the league will make him more attractive to teams in need.  I'd rather stay away from guys like him and DeSean Jackson and try to see what we have in a guy like Felton in the slot/flanked out or in motion.  

Michael Jackson/Michael Dyson was fine..... It was guys like Kevin Johnson and Dennis Northcutt(Dropcutt) that really sucked...

55 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

- IDL is still  'Meh' 

- Dobbs looked in command 

- Moffett and, whoever the boundary corner was on the play, blew the zone replace on that deep po.  I was in discord talking to @Nero and Electrc ( not sure who that is on this board though)...  and was rewinding the play -  looked like a yankee with the over going from boundary to field.  Middle field safety stepped to the over and there was no replace on his middle 1/3. Plus Moffett was hanging out too wide and low to get underneath the throw for any chance at a PBU. 

Cant have those types of mental mistakes in the regular season. Hell, that's such a staple play in the NFL anymore, DB's should be able to rotate right in their sleep on that. 

- Schwartz won't be cut. I mentioned it here and there, but it's the Al Davis, "can't teach speed" mentality.   I hate it.   He'll be given every opportunity to fail. 

- Don't really see Will Fuller as an option. Our vertical role is filled by Cooper, plus the PED's thing.  Coming off them, for anybody who knows, soft tissue and ligament injuries tend to be trendy after a cycle.   We'd likely be inviting an even higher injury risk to an already injury prone player.

I hope you're wrong about Schwartz. Hey Mr. Podesta, would you tell us his drop rate? Can't remember the guy's name, but way back the Bengals had a high first round WR with the same problem that they suffered through three seasons with before they cut bait. 

One other thing that honked me off. The last play of the first half. No guts, no glory. One play from the one yard line. Let's settle for a chip shot FG? It's preseason Kev. 

21 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Looks empty at stadium...

It WAS empty.  Considering the real threat of rain, my guess would be around 20,000. Yeah Browns, post the # of tickets sold, instead of the # of fans who actually showed up. Plenty of Eagles fans getting to see their team on the cheap. 

21 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I hope you're wrong about Schwartz. Hey Mr. Podesta, would you tell us his drop rate? Can't remember the guy's name, but way back the Bengals had a high first round WR with the same problem that they suffered through three seasons with before they cut bait. 

One other thing that honked me off. The last play of the first half. No guts, no glory. One play from the one yard line. Let's settle for a chip shot FG? It's preseason Kev. 

You're thinking of John Ross out of Udub.    And Schwartz' college drop rate was right around 10%.

we watched a while in the second half. Late lunch, so......Dobbs really impressed me. Kelly and Ford also impressed.

Josh Rosen was...himself. I did see him throw a really nice touch pass to somebody on the sideline. but....hs is who he is.

Overall dismal. Just my opinion.

The defense is going to be fun to watch all season, for a lot of folks....without key injuries - only question is the middle of the defensive line. Preseason. Whatever.

Who is Harley Jr? I think he is a PLAYER - has to make the team. I think the kr was injured before, so.... Harley Jr is DANGEROUS.

Schwartz, the guy I was so high on, needs to go full Jerry Rice, and catch about 50 or so passes after every practice.

Just a a play or two - but Tiam seems to be right about David Bell hugely, in his good write up. He did drop one, but has there ever been a sure handed wr in the NFL who never dropped one? I don't think so. He has great hands, looks to me. He only runs a 4.6 but, as Flugels mentioned to me, Jerry Rice wasn't a burner either. Bell and Rice are similar in size, too.

Bell may be a star for the Browns. He seems to have serious instincts for the game. Just produced like crazy in college.

I think I drafted a kicker in the fourth round in my stupid mock draft - but he went to the ratbirds, and York is going to be a great one I think.

The Harley kid and Kelly impressed the hell out of me... Schwartz may need the FORCE to stay on this team... He looks lost out there... year 2 in 3 year window... Kid better pick it up a ton...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nickers said:

The Harley kid and Kelly impressed the hell out of me... Schwartz may need the FORCE to stay on this team... He looks lost out there... year 2 in 3 year window... Kid better pick it up a ton...

Re Schwartz…

His playing strength is terrible how many times is the guy going to be tripped up or arm tackled on end arounds and his hands are awful.   You would hope in year 2 these aspects would be better but by how much?   Otherwise, He seems to know where he needs to be and can operate in our scheme- aspects that can be improved. I think he plays a tick slower than his actual speed so how much of his speed is really a luxury? 

Maybe he’s not a football player. 

Id like to see the guy you mentioned Harley next week taking the end around and splitting out catching 10 yard outs.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Michael Jackson/Michael Dyson was fine..... It was guys like Kevin Johnson and Dennis Northcutt(Dropcutt) that really sucked...

I really liked Kevin Johnson.  Very reliable and ran great routes.  H had close to 1000 yards receiving as a rookie for Tim Couch and led us in receptions.  The thing about KJ is he always played when he was hurt, which is a thing fans for 31 other teams tend to appreciate more than our fanbase.  KJ played through a groin and hammy injury during his 2ndd year; which really decreased his efficiency out there. He was more of a change of direction guy IMO.  Recruited by Syracuse to play QB in Donovan McNabb's class; so they switched him to WR during his soph year.  He came to us without a ton of experience playing WR and played well IMO.  Tell you what, you give me a rookie this year with 986 yards receiving and 8 TDs receiving - who's gonna complain about him?  That's what KJ did back in 99. In his 3rd year he had 84 receptions for 1097 yards and 9 TDs after the injury riddled 2nd year (but gutted out 16 games for us),  We could use that kind of productivity this year.

I'll agree Northcutt was disappointing as a WR.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1