THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns vs Patriots

Orion

image.png.2077118a21c73cd77ef4d06047374b32.png

This is a big game for us New Englanders.  Our 'friends', family and coworkers will be watching the Browns on their TV sets.  

Two weeks ago the Browns were the #7 run D in the league.  They tumbled 21 spots.  At this moment as I type, there's a rumor that Woods is fired.  Obviously, it wouldn't be a surprise.  The only surprise would be if they kept the run D coach.

ANYhow...Belleyache knows that we've gotta run the ball.  And I'm sure he figures that his pass D will be fine against our offense so he'll be trying to take our run away.  And on offense, he knows that we struggle stopping the run game...so....we know what Bill's gonna do.  'Cos we KNOW him.  He's gonna run it down our throats until we prove that we can stop him.  Just like Atlanta did in the 2nd half...except he's going to do it right from the get-go.   - I think we should put Kareem Hunt in at LB'er and tell him to Muckle The Guy With The Ball!!  

4 hours ago, Orion said:

This is a big game for us New Englanders.  Our 'friends', family and coworkers will be watching the Browns on their TV sets.  

Two weeks ago the Browns were the #7 run D in the league.  They tumbled 21 spots.  At this moment as I type, there's a rumor that Woods is fired.  Obviously, it wouldn't be a surprise.  The only surprise would be if they kept the run D coach.

Anyhow knows that we've gotta run the ball.  And I'm sure he figures that his pass D will be fine against our offense so he'll be trying to take our run away.  And on offense, he knows that we struggle stopping the run game...so....we know what Bill's gonna do.  'Cos we KNOW him.  He's gonna run it down our throats until we prove that we can stop him.  Just like Atlanta did in the 2nd half...except he's going to do it right from the get-go.   - I think we should put Kareem Hunt in at LB'er and tell him to Muckle The Guy With The Ball!!  

So, this time, let's actually talk about these numbers.

1) We know we can run the ball. Does the browns staff realize this yet?

2) Do you think our shitty run D is a caveat emptor? In other words are we a lot better talent wise, and can we jump up in this category with some adjustments? Or does the run D actually stink, talent wise?

3) I am surprised we are not lower in pass D. Maybe that's because everyone is running all over us.

4) Sacks? They are better than us? Spare the missed Garret and Clowney games, how tf are they a better sacking team?

Overall, to me, it feels like the Browns are a better team. Maybe not by much, which leads me to the coaching comment. I don't think it will take a perfect game to win this, but it is going to take more than the team has been giving. Belichik versus our dickheads? I think as it stands NE gets that edge.

3-3 sounds good to me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

So, this time, let's actually talk about these numbers.

1) We know we can run the ball. Does the browns staff realize this yet?

2) Do you think our shitty run D is a caveat emptor? In other words are we a lot better talent wise, and can we jump up in this category with some adjustments? Or does the run D actually stink, talent wise?

3) I am surprised we are not lower in pass D. Maybe that's because everyone is running all over us.

4) Sacks? They are better than us? Spare the missed Garret and Clowney games, how tf are they a better sacking team?

Overall, to me, it feels like the Browns are a better team. Maybe not by much, which leads me to the coaching comment. I don't think it will take a perfect game to win this, but it is going to take more than the team has been giving. Belichik versus our dickheads? I think as it stands NE gets that edge.

3-3 sounds good to me.

1)  The coach knows that you have to be able to pass to keep a D honest.  You can't just line up and run because teams will load up and stop you.  (unless you're playing us, then you don't have to pass)

2)  When Clowney was in the game it was tougher to run on us, so yes, it's talent up the middle.  You can sprinkle in a coaching demerit if you want.

3)  Yup, pass D stats will look better if teams spend an entire half running the ball from one side of the field to the goal line.

4)  The sack numbers don't lie.  On the other side of the ball, we're one of the better pass protection teams.

Their defense is better, but literally anyone can have a career day against us. Our running game will make us feel like we should be able to hang, but the same issues we had in previous games are unresolved, and make it a fairly easy win for the Patsies. Having added a decent LB is not going to change much.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

1)  The coach knows that you have to be able to pass to keep a D honest.  You can't just line up and run because teams will load up and stop you.  (unless you're playing us, then you don't have to pass)

One of the things that maidens me about this O, is that IMO we do not capitalize on play action in likely run downs.

I was resigned to listening to the game w on Sirius and tuned in to the Chargers version. Their announcers kept exclaiming that they could not believe the Browns would run an empty backfield on 1st down and eliminate the need for the Charger D to account for the run.

• Upvote 3

One of the things that maidens me about this O, is that IMO we do not capitalize on play action in likely run downs.

I've charted every play in the 1st half so far.   

102: 2nd & 9.   Tare, backside slant.  HB motion/leverage.  Isolate backside CB. *

104: 1st & 10.  7 step PA, Divide concept.  Jacoby pulls it down and scrambles. *

1st drive.  2 passes.  1 PA 50%

Zero empty

Leading off series with run.

=================================================================================

201: 1st & 10.  7 step PA, Double Po Max Pro.  20 yard comp         *

205: 2nd & 6.   3 Step Out to Coop.  6 yard comp for 1st down.      X 

207: 2nd & 7.   3 step, slant/flat to Hunt.  6 yard comp.          X 

209: 1st & 10.  5 step, post-corner to Coop.  12 yard TD           X  

25% play action.  Zero empty. 

Leading off series with play action.

==================================================================================

302: 2nd & 7    3 Step, Stick out.   Jacoby pulls down and misses Chubb flat.   X

303  3rd and 7   3 step, switch H choice.   Incomplete                          X 

0% play action.   Zero empty.

Leading off series with Run.

======================================================================================

403:  3rd & 4    3 step, bunch mesh.  Jacoby overthrows.                        X 

Zero play action.   Zero empty.   

========================================================================================

501: 1st and 10   50 bootleg PA, Sail shallow.  38 yard completion.              *  

502: 1st and 10   3 step,  stick/out.   7 yard completion.                  X  

504: 1st and goal  20 counter action,   Double crossers. Throw away            * 

506: 3rd and goal.  mesh, z follow.   incomplete.                              X

50% play action.   Zero Empty.   

Lead off series with play action.

=========================================================================================

Browns 2:30 minute offense

602: 2nd and 2.  5 step, sail/flood.  17 yard completion.  X

603: 1st and 10.   7 step 60 slant PA,  Yankee. 15 yard completion.  (penalty, illegal formation on Conklin) *
     This completion would have put the Brownies on the 32 yard line.

604: 1st and 15.   5 step, double under Sail/Flat.   15 yard completion.   X

606: 1st and 10.   5 Step.  Mirror/ Ohio.   Incomplete             X 

608: 2nd and 10    5 step, Dig/Over  Solo corner,  incomplete.    X

20% play action.   Zero empty.

Lead series off with run.

Let me put this part in a different color so everyone can see these next parts.

- Of the Browns SIX 1st half series, they opened with either a run or play action passing attempt on EVERY SINGLE SERIES.

- Drives that had a positive expected rush rate were also met with a higher play action rate following that opening attempt.     This would signal a defense playing the numbers game and committing more to the box, opening up those attempts.

.... and now for my favorite part.

Their announcers kept exclaiming that they could not believe the Browns would run an empty backfield on 1st down and eliminate the need for the Charger D to account for the run.

- There have been, in all 6 1st half drives drives,  ZERO  Empty sets shown by the offense.   Not 1, not 2, not 3.  Not on early downs or even passing downs.   ZERO.

Either Chubb or Hunt has been present as the Halfback on every single offensive play in the 1st half.

Still have the 2nd half to chart.   Boy, let's hope those empty sets show up those announcers were talking about.

edit:  And I'd like to thank you in advance for the rebuttal, but I've given you enough rope to hang yourself with this 2nd go around with you being back on the board.    You'll be wasting your time responding because I don't deal in bullshit, so ignore it is.   Anyone else is welcomed to follow along as I'll post those 2nd half results just for fun another time.    

✌️

20 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I've charted every play in the 1st half so far.   

102: 2nd & 9.   Tare, backside slant.  HB motion/leverage.  Isolate backside CB. *

104: 1st & 10.  7 step PA, Divide concept.  Jacoby pulls it down and scrambles. *

1st drive.  2 passes.  1 PA 50%

Zero empty

=================================================================================

201: 1st & 10.  7 step PA, Double Po Max Pro.  20 yard comp         *

205: 2nd & 6.   3 Step Out to Coop.  6 yard comp for 1st down.      X 

207: 2nd & 7.   3 step, slant/flat to Hunt.  6 yard comp.          X 

209: 1st & 10.  5 step, post-corner to Coop.  12 yard TD           X  

25% play action.  Zero empty. 

Leading off series with play action.

==================================================================================

302: 2nd & 7    3 Step, Stick out.   Jacoby pulls down and misses Chubb flat.   X

303  3rd and 7   3 step, switch H choice.   Incomplete                          X 

0% play action.   Zero empty.

Leading off series with Run.

======================================================================================

403:  3rd & 4    3 step, bunch mesh.  Jacoby overthrows.                        X 

Zero play action.   Zero empty.   

========================================================================================

501: 1st and 10   50 bootleg PA, Sail shallow.  38 yard completion.              *  

502: 1st and 10   3 step,  stick/out.   7 yard completion.                  X  

504: 1st and goal  20 counter action,   Double crossers. Throw away            * 

506: 3rd and goal.  mesh, z follow.   incomplete.                              X

50% play action.   Zero Empty.   

Lead off series with play action.

=========================================================================================

Browns 2:30 minute offense

602: 2nd and 2.  5 step, sail/flood.  17 yard completion.  X

603: 1st and 10.   7 step 60 slant PA,  Yankee. 15 yard completion.  (penalty, illegal formation on Conklin) *
     This completion would have put the Brownies on the 32 yard line.

604: 1st and 15.   5 step, double under Sail/Flat.   15 yard completion.   X

606: 1st and 10.   5 Step.  Mirror/ Ohio.   Incomplete             X 

608: 2nd and 10    5 step, Dig/Over  Solo corner,  incomplete.    X

20% play action.   Zero empty.

Lead series off with run.

Let me put this part in a different color so everyone can see these next parts.

- Of the Browns SIX 1st half series, they opened with either a run or play action passing attempt on EVERY SINGLE SERIES.

- Drives that had a positive expected rush rate were also met with a higher play action rate following that opening attempt.     This would signal a defense playing the numbers game and committing more to the box, opening up those attempts.

.... and now for my favorite part.

- There have been, in all 6 1st half drives drives,  ZERO  Empty sets shown by the offense.   Not 1, not 2, not 3.  Not on early downs or even passing downs.   ZERO.

Either Chubb or Hunt has been present as the Halfback on every single offensive play in the 1st half.

Still have the 2nd half to chart.   Boy, let's hope those empty sets show up those announcers were talking about.

edit:  And I'd like to thank you in advance for the rebuttal, but I've given you enough rope to hang yourself with this 2nd go around with you being back on the board.    You'll be wasting your time responding because I don't deal in bullshit, so ignore it is.   Anyone else is welcomed to follow along as I'll post those 2nd half results just for fun another time.    

✌️

Dude, they didn't  take advantage of shit. You need a better hobby.

• Upvote 1

2nd half summary

1st & 2nd drive.   15%  play action.   Can't help but notice LAC came out in their 'base' defensive personnel both series though.   This is incredibly similar to how PIT started the 2nd half of our first game against them.  Some of you reading might remember mention of how the coaching staff used empty sets either on initial lineup or motion to give Jacoby clear and easy throws.  This helped force the Steelers into their nickel personnel which the Browns responded by running on the smaller lineup.    Browns did about the same thing here.  It's actually a damn good counter by the coaching staff to have this ready.    I'll explain why - running something until the defense stops it is Jim Tressel.  As much as I love me some coach Tress,  the problem with this is that the defensive stopped it and knows that your counter is likely coming.   Therefore they're able to make their adjustments  in real time as you are also doing the same.  Pete Carroll at SC on the other hand had a 'run it until I know you HAVE to counter it' philosophy.  Which is why, IMHO, he and his coaching staff ran one of the most successful passing games of the era in those 2000's years.

Oh, in different coloring.     ONE EMPTY SET.  .... 1. Uno.  1st drive of half.

ONE EMPTY SET.....   1, in 2nd drive of half.

3rd drive.   Play action 33.33% of the time

Lead with run then into ball action.   

4th drive.  Play action 50% of the time.

Lead with play action.  Zero empty sets.

For those following at home.  That's 11 drives (not including the game missing FG drive) 34 passes, and only a grand total of TWO plays from empty.

For an absolute MONSTER 5.8% of the Browns total throws...   wowzer.  That's a high number if you're tipping in a Chinese restaurant. 

And empty sets were used on only 2 of 11 drives.  That's 18.18%, or less than 1/5th of the time you might find CLE run an empty play here or there.   

Of the 2 empty set throws, there was only ONE on 1st down.   The other was 3rd and 7 on the 2nd drive, which the Browns converted, by the way. 

At this point, if you aren't getting your Browns breakdowns from me or maybe a couple other sources who put the work into generating the knowledge, then I'll arrogantly tell you that you're selling yourself short from formulating a much more accurate and detailed football opinion.   

I'll check back in later this week with my final tabs on how the betting lines setting.    God bless.  

8 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I was resigned to listening to the game w on Sirius and tuned in to the Chargers version. Their announcers kept exclaiming that they could not believe the Browns would run an empty backfield on 1st down and eliminate the need for the Charger D to account for the run.

Yep, I was driving between Defeated Creek, TN to Royal, Arkansas and had the game on XM, Browns feed ( sorry, unpopular opinion but Jim Donovan isn't very good. Never tells you where the ball is, a huge no-no in radio broadcasting).

Anyway, the Browns feed disappeared for about 10 minutes, they went to the Chargers feed. The announcers were "thanking" the Browns' offensive formations. I almost had to pull off the road lol.

Damn, I hate thinking the Browns philosophy of spending big bucks on the bookend D line, and Ward, Walker was wrong, but it looks that way now. Take it back even further...seemed to be good draft picks in the secondary. 

So please tell me, is it the players being unintelligent, or a coaching philosophy? Not seeing the last 2 games & listening on the radio, it seems like they're in constant prevent. Makes no sense. 

I haven't watched on my NFL App, I don't think I want to. Trying to enjoy nature & the Browns presents conflicts lol.

PS- Lake Ouchita is awesome folks. Go Browns (somehow).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

IMO we do not capitalize on play action in likely run downs.

Yeah.  I don't ever see a good reason for us to have Chubb on the field and then put him in motion to line up at WR.  His presence in the backfield would have a helluvalot more effect on a defense.  Although I think Chubb can catch the ball pretty well, I don't think he runs his little pass routes very well and the QB's (including Baker) are throwing it to where he was supposed to run the route.  He tends to shade the route one way or another...whereas the QB's and Hunt don't have the same sync problems.

3 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yeah.  I don't ever see a good reason for us to have Chubb on the field and then put him in motion to line up at WR.  His presence in the backfield would have a helluvalot more effect on a defense.  Although I think Chubb can catch the ball pretty well, I don't think he runs his little pass routes very well and the QB's (including Baker) are throwing it to where he was supposed to run the route.  He tends to shade the route one way or another...whereas the QB's and Hunt don't have the same sync problems.

I have to wonder who is attending to Tiamat's wife while he is mentally masturbating and logging every play.

My point about the Browns not using play action is NOT the amount of times that they have movement in the background. 

My problem is in situations where the opposing D is forced into biting on the run, we run straight into it, and then act surprised that 5 OL men could not block 9 in the box.

THAT is where the Browns cripple themselves with analytics, and don't have the balls to take advantage of a charging bull.

Going for 4th and short? Wonderful.

Not using Chubb as a play fake on 2nd and 1, and instead get stuffed? Disgusting.

2nd and 1 turns into 3d and 4, and then they bring the house so we punt.

17 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Yep, I was driving between Defeated Creek, TN to Royal, Arkansas and had the game on XM, Browns feed ( sorry, unpopular opinion but Jim Donovan isn't very good. Never tells you where the ball is, a huge no-no in radio broadcasting).

Anyway, the Browns feed disappeared for about 10 minutes, they went to the Chargers feed. The announcers were "thanking" the Browns' offensive formations. I almost had to pull off the road lol.

Damn, I hate thinking the Browns philosophy of spending big bucks on the bookend D line, and Ward, Walker was wrong, but it looks that way now. Take it back even further...seemed to be good draft picks in the secondary. 

So please tell me, is it the players being unintelligent, or a coaching philosophy? Not seeing the last 2 games & listening on the radio, it seems like they're in constant prevent. Makes no sense. 

I haven't watched on my NFL App, I don't think I want to. Trying to enjoy nature & the Browns presents conflicts lol.

PS- Lake Ouchita is awesome folks. Go Browns (somehow).

Nice picture and nice post.

This tiamat guy is so busy taking notes that he has no concept of what is going on down on the field.

I agree on Donavan

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Nice picture and nice post.

This tiamat guy is so busy taking notes that he has no concept of what is going on down on the field.

I agree on Donavan

I like tiamat's posts, actually I like just about everybody's insight here. A little humor, a little angst, right up my alley.

Ill be on Galveston Island with the grandkids Sunday. Probably will miss the game. Family 1st.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

My point about the Browns not using play action is NOT the amount of times that they have movement in the background. 

...yeah...I went off on a Chubb pass route tangent that's been on my mind for a year or more.  Ya know, many times on 2nd and 1 or 2 I find myself thinking, 'Don't bother trying to get cute here'.  We're a running team.  It's what we do best.  Just get the 1st down.  I wish I had confidence in our passing game.  I'd prefer us to be a great passing team than a great running team.  But we're not.  Schwartz is just runnin' around out there.  DPJ isn't a dominant receiver (I've learned to like him a lot though...he works hard out there, he makes toughly contested catches, you never hear anything bad about him...I like him), Bryant is a catch a game guy, Felton doesn't even dress for games, and Bell is a rookie 3rd round pick...It's basically Njoku and Cooper....and a career backup QB...who's actually playing better than any of us expected.  

Because we run so incredibly well, I'd rather see Hunt or even Chubb in the backfield than going 4 or 5 wide on passing downs.  We're not deep enough at WR where the 4th or 5th guy scares the D more than having Hunt in the backfield.  

On 10/12/2022 at 8:25 PM, Orion said:

Well let's see know, get out your notepads - THE  BROWNS CAN RUN THE FOOTBALL.    The end.

Should be one excellent professional football contest.    :huh:

12 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

2nd half summary

1st & 2nd drive.   15%  play action.   Can't help but notice LAC came out in their 'base' defensive personnel both series though.   This is incredibly similar to how PIT started the 2nd half of our first game against them.  Some of you reading might remember mention of how the coaching staff used empty sets either on initial lineup or motion to give Jacoby clear and easy throws.  This helped force the Steelers into their nickel personnel which the Browns responded by running on the smaller lineup.    Browns did about the same thing here.  It's actually a damn good counter by the coaching staff to have this ready.    I'll explain why - running something until the defense stops it is Jim Tressel.  As much as I love me some coach Tress,  the problem with this is that the defensive stopped it and knows that your counter is likely coming.   Therefore they're able to make their adjustments  in real time as you are also doing the same.  Pete Carroll at SC on the other hand had a 'run it until I know you HAVE to counter it' philosophy.  Which is why, IMHO, he and his coaching staff ran one of the most successful passing games of the era in those 2000's years.

Oh, in different coloring.     ONE EMPTY SET.  .... 1. Uno.  1st drive of half.

ONE EMPTY SET.....   1, in 2nd drive of half.

3rd drive.   Play action 33.33% of the time

Lead with run then into ball action.   

4th drive.  Play action 50% of the time.

Lead with play action.  Zero empty sets.

For those following at home.  That's 11 drives (not including the game missing FG drive) 34 passes, and only a grand total of TWO plays from empty.

For an absolute MONSTER 5.8% of the Browns total throws...   wowzer.  That's a high number if you're tipping in a Chinese restaurant. 

And empty sets were used on only 2 of 11 drives.  That's 18.18%, or less than 1/5th of the time you might find CLE run an empty play here or there.   

Of the 2 empty set throws, there was only ONE on 1st down.   The other was 3rd and 7 on the 2nd drive, which the Browns converted, by the way. 

At this point, if you aren't getting your Browns breakdowns from me or maybe a couple other sources who put the work into generating the knowledge, then I'll arrogantly tell you that you're selling yourself short from formulating a much more accurate and detailed football opinion.   

I'll check back in later this week with my final tabs on how the betting lines setting.    God bless.  

Thanks for taking the time to do all that Tia and the ongoing efforts to educate our fans as much as possible in here!

I don't know if radio broadcasters do the same weekly preparations that a guy like Hall of Fame QB Troy Aikman does when he is going to cover a game.  Having said that, who do we suppose is going to give us the better analysis of what they're looking at?  A glorified male cheerleader/fan announcing or a HOF player that thoroughly understands formations, etc.  Anyway, it sounds like 2 guys in here that listened to the radio got the same message about what the guys covering the game thought about Cleveland's offensive formations limiting the Browns' opportunities. Sounds like Bob was listening to the same pov about the Browns from the Chargers broadcasters from part of his trip.

When I saw Ghoolie mention that empty backfield formation I freaking despise, I didn't even think about how many times they did it in just this 1 game or if they did it at all. I thought he made a legitimate attempt to talk about an offensive concern he had from what he heard. The first thing that crossed my mind is how UNSOUND that formation is when your QB isn't Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers - it's a career backup. I've seen that formation fail so may times that it's become a gag reflex.  I can only GUESS if broadcasters working the game (ie; Chargers) did some research and film prep (in spite of what kind of experts they are) they found a good reason to bring up some formational handcuffs.  

Here's the thing: while it's hard to fault the offense and the points per game they're averaging when the defense plays Santa Claus to our opponents - a big picture concern is how many games this year that they're losing leads.  Opponents can't erase deficits if our offensive firepower doesn't allow them to keep pace, realistic or not, with the way this team is wired right now.  IMO, this is where the frustration comes in from a fan/broadcaster hybrid like Donovan and those of us watching from home or listening on the radio.   

After BB lost his starting QB Matt Jones.. Bill's Patriots defense has shown some new life in Chowder town.. Something we're still waiting on in Cleveland 🙄..

The Browns, last match-up in New England?

Stef got out coached by the defensive coaching wizard.. but, we had no Chunt/ and DJ was our starting RB.. Not this time ! But we might still have to deal with Pats. RB Rhamondre (joystick) Stevenson, if RB Damien Harris does not play.

After reviewing the last 2 Patriots games.. 

1) WR Amari Cooper will be erased from JB's 1st target on passing downs.. Might be a good thing? We need other WR/TE weapons to show the hell up...

2) Get use to seeing 7/8 in the box to stop the run first vs New England.. But the Lions never scored last week, because their LB/DB's have speed in coverage to clogged up everything underneath..Brissett won't see the coverage pre-snap..

This we be a good chess match week to grade Stef with all his (AB's so called) weapons..   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

After BB lost his starting QB Matt Jones.. Bill's Patriots defense has shown some new life in Chowder town.. Something we're still waiting on in Cleveland 🙄..

The Browns, last match-up in New England?

Stef got out coached by the defensive coaching wizard.. but, we had no Chunt/ and DJ was our starting RB.. Not this time ! But we might still have to deal with Pats. RB Rhamondre (joystick) Stevenson, if RB Damien Harris does not play.

After reviewing the last 2 Patriots games.. 

1) WR Amari Cooper will be erased from JB's 1st target on passing downs.. Might be a good thing? We need other WR/TE weapons to show the hell up...

2) Get use to seeing 7/8 in the box to stop the run first vs New England.. But the Lions never scored last week, because their LB/DB's have speed in coverage to clogged up everything underneath..Brissett won't see the coverage pre-snap..

This we be a good chest match week to grade Stef with all his (AB's so called) weapons..   

Yes I'm sure Uncle Kevvy(George Michael) has plenty of chest hair for you to play with lol....

b40ba05f920f273c1b7ad9a5cd3c89d4.jpg

8 hours ago, nickers said:

Yes I'm sure Uncle Kevvy(George Michael) has plenty of chest hair for you to play with lol....

WTF dude, 

BDea.gif      Qm6u.gif   fify    

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, gumby73 said:

2) Get use to seeing 7/8 in the box to stop the run first vs New England.. 

This we be a good chess match week to grade Stef with all his (AB's so called) weapons..   

1st bold - there was evidence of just this against the Chargers and their defensive calls against certain personnel alignments.  When the coaches moved Coop to the slot to try and draw a more favorable assignment, the Bolts responded with showing 2 high pre-snap, then rolling into a cover 1 where they rat safety and nickel corner would attempt to bracket AC.  The corner played an outside shade while the safety would stem top-down taking away inside and horitzonal.   The problem being that, because of our QB's hit and miss nature of throwing outside and towards the numbers, dialing up throws negative breaking routes isn't something you can just take for granted.     So as the Browns coaches attempt to find as many combinations as possible for our QB that invite positive (in) breaking throws, the Pats defensive staff are going to leverage to help make those routes hell.    It's not at all a good thing because Brissett needs quite a bit of time to find his #2.  I can only hope his familiarity with the Pats defensive measures can give him some help.  

2nd bold - been seeing it all year. 

3rd bold -  Not really.  It's my hope the offense shows a bit more consistency and effectiveness than last seasons matchup.  But that has a lot to do with having Chubb and Hunt in this game.  I have little doubt the Brownies score under their season average, we don't have the passing game to consistency attack the Pats secondary in the ways they're weakest.     Our defense is even weaker in the middle compared to last year, so I would suspect this game playing out pretty tight and low(er) scoring. 

edit:  I'm watching the Pats - Lions game right now.  As expected, the NE defense is doing a great job against the Lions outside zone calls.   

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2022 at 11:50 AM, nickers said:

I actually like the Browns in this... But then I remember an act of God 2 straight weeks have bailed out our opponents "Facepalms"

Talent wise, this will be the 6th game.in a row that the Browns have/had a good chance of winning.

Discipline and our overall game management give me the heeboe jeebies.

If it is close, I think Beliclit has an edge over whoever is pulling ShitMyPantski's strings.

Injury report of note. Clowney the Cripple is out again. Ward in concussion protocol also out. 

Hey Ghoolie, Garrett at least tries to play when he's 90%, Javedeon gets a hang nail and would rather sit on the sidelines and collect his game check. 

9 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Talent wise, this will be the 6th game.in a row that the Browns have/had a good chance of winning.

Discipline and our overall game management give me the heeboe jeebies.

If it is close, I think Beliclit has an edge over whoever is pulling ShitMyPantski's strings.

I think the Depo squad vs coaching staff is about to boil over. Lots of rumbling now leaking about coaches not getting to call shots on personnel and more. 

QB Mac Jones is on the plane to Cleveland. (Questionable)

Rookie Bailey Zappe would start if Jones doesn't play Sunday when the Patriots (2-3) visit the Browns (2-3). The Patriots also have veteran Garrett Gilbert on the practice squad and can elevate him for the game for depth.

Injured running back Damien Harris (hamstring) also hasn't been ruled out.

The Patriots declared Saturday afternoon that two injured players would be out for the game -- starting cornerback Jonathan Jones and No. 3 receiver Nelson Agholor -- but it was notable that Jones wasn't part of the club's announcement.

OLB Josh Oche/ DE J. Clowney/ CB D.Ward were labeled as OUT on Friday.. 

CB Greedy Williams was activated from injured reserve. G.Williams can play Sunday.

The Browns have also signed LB Dakota Allen to the active roster from the practice squad.

In addition, the team has elevated CB Herb Miller and WR Chester Rogers from the practice squad. Newly added DT Tyeler Davison remains not elevated from PS  

#BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png are not activating new LB Deion Jones from IR for Sunday's game vs. Patriots. 🙄