THE BROWNS BOARD

Hunt on the block

Korsou Dawg

13 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

f his trade nets a pick or player this team can role into an effective IDL or WR

Why do people still think we need WR? DPJ has made plays when he gets the chance, Cooper is a beast, and we still have Woods and Bell. OL still seems like a need with the health of Conklin.

And when do we start to get concerned about Denzel Ward? Do people forget the string of concussions he suffered at the beginning of his career? How many more can he take before he has brain damage?

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

Why do people still think we need WR? DPJ has made plays when he gets the chance, Cooper is a beast, and we still have Woods and Bell. OL still seems like a need with the health of Conklin.

And when do we start to get concerned about Denzel Ward? Do people forget the rash of concussions he suffered at the beginning of his career? How many more can he take before he has brain damage?

Woods has been a non-factor, and I'm not saying a high level investment in WR either.  I'm talking about middle to late rounds, keep the bottom 1/3 of the roster turning to find talent that can help as the season drags on.   Coop has been a nice addition, DPJ is finally consistently contributing, and Bell has promise.   I want more competition at that 4th and 5th spot, possibly even PR/KR provided Jakeem Grant doesn't come back healthy.

48 minutes ago, Neo said:

And when do we start to get concerned about Denzel Ward? Do people forget the string of concussions he suffered at the beginning of his career? How many more can he take before he has brain damage?

DPJ, David Bell and Michael Woods is not keeping me upgrade the WR unit if the possibility presents itself. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

DPJ, David Bell and Michael Woods is not keeping me upgrade the WR unit if the possibility presents itself. 

I agree that we can upgrade but I just don't see it a GLARING need. We still don't have good body of work on Bell or Woods. OL I think could still be the biggest need, then IDL, and LB. And nobody addressed Denzel Ward's health.

48 minutes ago, Neo said:

I agree that we can upgrade but I just don't see it a GLARING need. We still don't have good body of work on Bell or Woods. OL I think could still be the biggest need, then IDL, and LB. And nobody addressed Denzel Ward's health.

I wonder if Hudson is the RT of the future? I like the idea of continually adding OLinemen in the mid-rounds, and letting Callahan develop them. 

If there's something this team has shown for years now, regardless of who is running the team, it is they have no problem investing in the CB position high. 

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

He's a great player at a log jammed position where the Browns commit well over league average salary.

Holding onto him is akin to owning a Ferrari but only driving it during rush hour. 

If his trade nets a pick or player this team can role into an effective IDL or WR, then it's a smart move with long-term benefits to the organization.  

Only time will tell if it is a smart move. Should Chubb get hurt the day we trade Hunt, it would look a lot different.

My view is that you have to gave great players to win. There is plenty of shit on the roster to cut out before Hunt. That's my 2 cents.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Awarding of comp picks is also based on the net of FA activity -- who you lose combined with who you add.

So if we plan to add more than one DT [and that had gd better be the plan] then comp picks won't really be a thing.

How does the cap situation look next year for the Browns? 

I would think with Watson, Ward, Garrett, etc, the Browns aren't going to be a really active player in free agency. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

How does the cap situation look next year for the Browns? 

Projected 2023 cap - 225 // 2024 cap - 256

Current Browns 2023 obligations - 251.5 // 2024 obligations - 249.

So even after rolling over the 2022 cap of 33.6 to 2023, we get total free space of [225+33.6 - 251.5] = 7.1 to do all rookie signings and FA.  Note as well that current 2023 players under contract is only 42.  Bring on the UDFA's looking for playing time! 

Should be OK after 2023 though, cap will rise 20-25/Yr for the next few.

7.5 dead in 2023 is thanks to Austin Hooper.

21 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Only time will tell if it is a smart move. Should Chubb get hurt the day we trade Hunt, it would look a lot different.

My view is that you have to gave great players to win. There is plenty of shit on the roster to cut out before Hunt. That's my 2 cents.

Yep.  This team likes to run the football having 2 or 3 guys that can run the football at a high level is not a luxury.  Too many folks are caught up in a typical roster composition.

I don’t think Tua is a franchise QB but I love what the Dolphins have done the past couple years.

accumulate draft capital and use to some extent to add players through the draft and to other extent add proven high end NFL talent.

Back to Tua, maybe they understand he’s not elite and his skill set is limited to some degree - so they surround him with two YAC masters Hill and Waddle.

On 11/1/2022 at 7:39 AM, tiamat63 said:

Woods has been a non-factor, and I'm not saying a high level investment in WR either.  I'm talking about middle to late rounds, keep the bottom 1/3 of the roster turning to find talent that can help as the season drags on.   Coop has been a nice addition, DPJ is finally consistently contributing, and Bell has promise.   I want more competition at that 4th and 5th spot, possibly even PR/KR provided Jakeem Grant doesn't come back healthy.

We have Watson next year I think we have an enticing opportunity to add a free agent on $ friendly contract to compete with DPJ and Bell for targets. 

UFA next season

Marquise Goodwin Seahawks

Parris Campbell Colts

They both fit the Schwartz type- speed.

I personally like Darius Slayton Giants if the Giants move on. Good speed more polish in his game.

21 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

then comp picks won't really be a thing.

totally disagree cause i believe it started last year where you can trade your comp picks and berry likes to move around the draft board and if we havnt added anyone new by know i doubt we will

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

We have Watson next year I think we have an enticing opportunity to add a free agent on $ friendly contract to compete with DPJ and Bell for targets. 

UFA next season

Marquise Goodwin Seahawks

Parris Campbell Colts

They both fit the Schwartz type- speed.

I personally like Darius Slayton Giants if the Giants move on. Good speed more polish in his game.

Unfortunately, due to the cap situation, I doubt any free agency deals get done this off-season.   As much as I'm with you on liking Slayton.

On 11/1/2022 at 2:41 PM, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I love Hunt, the player.  I think his value to the football team is quite high.  When you have to spell Chubb, there's virtually no drop off.  But they drafted a guy.  And they have D'E, whose proven to be pretty darned good.  So they've got the position covered.  However, they didn't trade him.  They know he's better than Ford & D'E...and that they could ultimately get some sort of compensatory pick.  Someone was going to have to offer something to make them give up that compensatory pick.

3 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

He's paid like a WR1; that was likely a salary dump.

Note that every former top player falls off eventually... Tampa guaranteed Devin White's 11M 2023 salary and he's already looking like he's not NFL level any more.

Absolute salary dump. 

How much bigger was the contract we inherited with Cooper than the contract we inherited when we traded for Jarvis Landry?

Because I really like Jarvis, but Cooper is just better. 

• Upvote 1