THE BROWNS BOARD

So, how does my New Year start off?

Neo

By the Buckeye's Georga game coming down to the last two minutes of the year not knowing if I am going to miss the ball drop, switching back and forth. Only to see Noah Ruggles miss the field goal with a distance from the ball to the upright that you could have flown a 747 between the two and had room to spare. Only Ohio sports teams can break your heart in such fashion.

kano-mk1-heart-rip-fatality.gif

OHIO STATE  41   GEORGIA  42  Final.

So much for a big ball drop.    Happy  2023.     But it was an instant Classic  game.     :o

Unfortunately, the Ohio State offense was running on fumes by the time the 4th quarter started.

The amount of offensive talent on the sidelines (or at a hospital) for OSU was staggering. The Buckeyes need to look at why their defense went from top 10 to a sieve in their last two games.

CJ Stroud gave it his all. A new QB era starts next September. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Unfortunately, the Ohio State offense was running on fumes by the time the 4th quarter started.

The amount of offensive talent on the sidelines (or at a hospital) for OSU was staggering. The Buckeyes need to look at why their defense went from top 10 to a sieve in their last two games.

CJ Stroud gave it his all. A new QB era starts next September. 

Well said.  The biggest difference I noticed (which was awesome) was watching Stroud take off out of the pocket when the opportunities presented it.  If he did that in the previous game - I think the outcome would have been a lot better.  The year Ohio State won it's last championship Cardale Jones was killing defenses taking advantages of those opportunities to run/escape the pocket aside from the admirable job he did throwing the ball.  Justin Fields was just as deadly running and even more accurate throwing.

Listening to Kirby Smart saying they just played bad was very disrespectful to Ohio State IMO.  You played bad Kirby because Marvin Harrison was UNSTOPPABLE!    When he left the game, it was like someone lifted a very heavy anchor off your team's wind pipe.   Can you imagine the type of damage the tandem of Marvin Harrison and Jaxon Smith-Njigba could have done this year?   When you really think about it, Georgia go treated to the projected 2nd/3rd string at TE and WRs when the SEC's Sleeping Beauty allegedly WOKE up just in time.  They also had to pray for a missed FG at the end, which they were blessed with. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Well said.  The biggest difference I noticed (which was awesome) was watching Stroud take off out of the pocket when the opportunities presented it.  If he did that in the previous game - I think the outcome would have been a lot better.  The year Ohio State won it's last championship Cardale Jones was killing defenses taking advantages of those opportunities to run/escape the pocket aside from the admirable job he did throwing the ball.  Justin Fields was just as deadly running and even more accurate throwing.

Listening to Kirby Smart saying they just played bad was very disrespectful to Ohio State IMO.  You played bad Kirby because Marvin Harrison was UNSTOPPABLE!    When he left the game, it was like someone lifted a very heavy anchor off your team's wind pipe.   Can you imagine the type of damage the tandem of Marvin Harrison and Jaxon Smith-Njigba could have done this year?   When you really think about it, Georgia go treated to the projected 2nd/3rd string at TE and WRs when the SEC's Sleeping Beauty allegedly WOKE up just in time.  They also had to pray for a missed FG at the end, which they were blessed with. 

I thought TTUN was going to roll TCU.

I think TCU has a legitimate shot at shocking the world next Monday night. 

10 hours ago, Neo said:

By the Buckeye's Georga game coming down to the last two minutes of the year not knowing if I am going to miss the ball drop, switching back and forth. Only to see Noah Ruggles miss the field goal with a distance from the ball to the upright that you could have flown a 747 between the two and had room to spare. Only Ohio sports teams can break your heart in such fashion.

kano-mk1-heart-rip-fatality.gif

As a fan, I feel really fortunate most of us have a team like Ohio State to follow especially while Haslam's business continues to run like Haslam's business.  People forget the last time Ohio State made it to the National Championship they had a lot of guys (we're talking double digits) that had to miss the game because of COVID.   If that would have happened to St Nick's Alabama team - they probably would have rescheduled the game.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I thought TTUN was going to roll TCU.

I think TCU has a legitimate shot at shocking the world next Monday night. 

Me too!  That was an awesome game.  It was nice to watch a defense score 2 TDs against TTUN. It was almost like they told TTUN an adorable bedtime story before tucking them in for a long Winter's nap.

I would LOVE to see TCU win the championship.  

I'm still wondering how Harrison got a concussion yet did not get hit in the neck or head area according to some ref watching remotely. 

Apparently Big Ten teams yesterday couldn't buy a targeting call, because TTUN's last play was one too. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Flugel said:

Me too!  That was an awesome game.  It was nice to watch a defense score 2 TDs against TTUN. It was almost like they told TTUN an adorable bedtime story before tucking them in for a long Winter's nap.

I would LOVE to see TCU win the championship.  

It would be great for college football.

Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

Agreed.  It's rewarding kids for quitting early on a commitment for greener pastures if there's any challenges/inconveniences.  The NFL is going to be a culture shock for some of these kids especially if they're drafted early by a horrible franchise.   

Edited by Flugel

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

They need to call it "semi-pro" football instead of NCAA.

While I do watch it, I always thought college football is kind of like Olympic figure skating. Too many teams and nearly impossible to rank them....it's too subjective. Always has been.

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Have you noticed the Harbaugh brothers have a little pipe line going from 1 program to another?  One of the defensive coaches from TTUN's 2021 staff went back to the Ratbirds coaching staff.  But not to worry, they just hired another from the Ratbirds' staff for the 2022 who I think got some Coach of the Year honor.  Some may wonder - what's the problem with that?  Well, Baltimore drafted an injured OLB/edge rusher David Ojabo from Michigan in round 2 at #45 overall this year.  In 2021, they drafted FB/TE Ben Mason that must have been a pain in the dumpster for Michigan defensive coaches in practice.

With all the strict rules the NCAA used to have, if Barry Switzer ever did something like the Harbaughs are doing - they would have easily found something to punish here.  I used to get a kick out of what Tom Osborne's Nebraska program consistently got away with all the while the NCAA thought the only guy they needed to investigate in that conference was Barry Switzer.  See what happens when a clean cut looking guy shakes all the right hands and kisses all the right babies? 

• Upvote 1

It's weird.

I actually have no problem with John Harbaugh, in fact I wanted the Browns to hire him as HC when it looked like he was on the verge of getting let go in Baltimore four or five years ago. Then Lamar came in and started winning and winning and winning. 

Jim Harbaugh, on the other hand, can choke on a bag of dicks. 

Going into the Game Georgia played one Top 25 defense…and they struggled in that game.  We don’t have an Ohio St secondary and honestly we haven’t developed DEs although we’ve recruited well there (where was Jack Sawyer and JTT last night).   We’ve got a no holds bar Big12 defensive coordinator that is used to these 42-41 games. 

We played 6 Top 25 defenses…so it wasn’t like we didn’t see quality schemes and personnel throughout the year.  But the main difference last night- Ryan Day didn’t try to be old school Ohio State and run the ball down the defenses throat.  Weve got a lot of old school fans that want the glory days where we ran Eddie and Zeke down everyone’s throat-  but that’s not who we are. We had excellent pass blocking as we had most of the year and we were proficient throwing the ball.  That’s what we’ve recruited and that’s who we are and he finally understood that his playmakers are his pocket passing QB and 5 star WRs and two excellent pass blocking bookend tackles.  The offense was National Championship worthy last night.  Rose Bowl last year same thing and we ran the ball 21 times for 110 yards.  We have to zing around the yard more with all these outside weapons. 

The run on first down with two timeouts and 30 seconds left was a stupid call.

The targeting reversal cost us 4 points.

The misspot and reversal on Bowers 4th down lounge was likely a bad call that cost us another 7.

Georgia was lucky to win and quite honestly this game was easily their toughest challenge and I look for them to come out flat and I expect to TCU to not only cover the 13 points but win the game too.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I hated that the Universities were making a ton of money off these kids and nothing went to them. 

But the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.  They need better guard rails/limits/rules on transfers and NIL money.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

buckeyes lost (i saw everyone  bitching about the ball drop,fuck em) a furnace went out in a rental and they are bitching because i cant get anyone out till tuesday,got my ass kicked in fantasy football,as they say it all happens in three's 

Browns won so hell ya all is good

20 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I hated that the Universities were making a ton of money off these kids and nothing went to them. 

But the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.  They need better guard rails/limits/rules on transfers and NIL money.  

Have to disagree here. The rule that do not allow these kids to make money while playing in the NCAA is utterly reprehensible. It is modern slavery, plain and simple. 

Unlike other sports (e.g. Lonzo Ball) there is no other route to the NFL. Heck, if they wanted to play Football anywhere else in the world, they would have to learn a completely different sport (imagine laughter in British aristocrat accent for effect).

While I value loyalty and frown upon a lack thereof, it is a mosquito bite compared to the systematic exploitation of young people in the NCAA.

22 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Have to disagree here. The rule that do not allow these kids to make money while playing in the NCAA is utterly reprehensible. It is modern slavery, plain and simple. 

Unlike other sports (e.g. Lonzo Ball) there is no other route to the NFL. Heck, if they wanted to play Football anywhere else in the world, they would have to learn a completely different sport (imagine laughter in British aristocrat accent for effect).

While I value loyalty and frown upon a lack thereof, it is a mosquito bite compared to the systematic exploitation of young people in the NCAA.

The NCAA was definitely making out for years, there's no debate for that.

But maybe because I'm from a background that is more blue-collar where college is not a given, but a free college education in an era of "paying on school loans until you retire" doesn't exactly ring the slavery bell to me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Im somewhere in the middle so I don’t think we disagree too much. The NIL deals are a little too much and especially during the time they are student athletes.  Can they get the benefit of some of these big NIL deals post college?  Money or benefits in a trust.  It is weird I know because these are essentially young adults. 

the “modern slavery” you speak of is the fact that they have to stay three years in the NCAA.  I’ve seen two OSU guys back to back years that were NFL ready prior to three years.  JSN was the best OSU WR in 2021 a team that had two first round WRs tearing up the League this year.  Marvin Harrison was the best player on the field in Atlanta Saturday night.  Why in the World do we require that he can’t put his name in the draft this year.  He shouldn’t make NIL money this summer he should be cashing a rookie bonus.  

I do have a slight problem giving an unproven HS Sr. Money on potential.  We Need a “earn as you go” system 

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The NCAA was definitely making out for years, there's no debate for that.

But maybe because I'm from a background that is more blue-collar where college is not a given, but a free college education in an era of "paying on school loans until you retire" doesn't exactly ring the slavery bell to me. 

Your response seems to present a false dichotomy. I never said that student athletes should get anything other than a scholarship from schools. And many will settle for just that, irrespective of the rules.  

The point is that there are rules preventing players to earn income from other sources. Star athletes are missing out on hundreds of thousands, if not millions in sponsorship deals, endorsements and the like. If that is their market value, it is simply wrong to ban them from earning that. And what if the guy playing Center for the San Francisco City College Gaylords, made some money from the local burger or pizza joint to supplement his scholarship? 

What's worse: lifting this ban would hardly be detrimental to the schools. Sure, if Jordan brand can sponsor individual athletes, they might have a little less to spend on UNC or TTUN. In kind, they might have a little less to spend on gold-clad locker rooms we see at all the big schools. Does your blue collar background feel those are needed? Mine doesn't. 

texas-am-university-locker.gif

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’m really tired of the talking head narrative that Ohio State played a perfect game and still came up short.  

Considering they didn't have their top 2 WRs, TEs and RBs, I say that isn't that far-fetched, at least offensively. As disgusted as I was with Ohio State after the TTUN game, I was proud of them for how they played Georgia. 

Defensively? That's a different story. I like JTT, but he's not the Bosa brothers or Chase Young, yet. 

And what happend to Ohio State and the corner back position? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

what happend to Ohio State and the corner back position? 

Missing on top prospects for like 3 years because OSU's NIL is not up to the level of schools down south.

I recommend menace 2 sports, the daily OSU football podcast of Zach Smith, former OSU WR coach who still talks to his coaching connections.

He's done multiple hour-long discussions on NIL.. basically the OSU administration isn't working with the people who would be needed to deal with the NIL items.

Think of NIL as roster management.. you don't need NIL to pay Marv, he's going to walk into Ricart Ford and walk out with whatever he needs. You need the NIL for the backup LT, the backup DL [at OSU, the backup 6 DL, but that's a podcast by itself] so that they don't hit the portal after one season like Ewers did.  You need NIL to sign the big recruits -- The Program only sells itself to some extent, there's always some other university's big donor dropping big money to get 4-star recruits. That's also why the OSU RB room has needed random transfers and WR position switches to get through the season.. because OSU's 4,5* RB recruit the last 2 years have gone elsewhere to teams with worse records.

Zero of this is on Day -- Day had the #1 class the year before NIL was a thing. He recruits very well, but the job changed underneath him.