THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Joe Woods gone yet ?

7moses7

11 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

It’s Monday morning, is he still here ? 

On the radio today Stef said that he let him go last night.

I guess we'll be finding out who Depodesta wants for DC.

I could definitely see a scenario where the Browns sign Brian Flores as DC, he becomes the HC when Stefanski gets canned, and Depodesta and Berry hire their hand-picked pass-happy OC. When Flores was HC in Miami, apparently they tried to get Watson. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I could definitely see a scenario where the Browns sign Brian Flores as DC, he becomes the HC when Stefanski gets canned, and Depodesta and Berry hire their hand-picked pass-happy OC. When Flores was HC in Miami, apparently they tried to get Watson. 

We've seen this play out before.  One year the DC gets it.  The next year it's the HC.  But I'm hoping against it as I kinda' like Stef and I'm sick of starting over all the time.

18 minutes ago, Neo said:

Joe Woods shold have been fired long ago. How do you have multiple blown coverages in one season that result in touchdowns?

No it was the secondary years ago…the LBs the second year…the IDL this past year.  Nevermind he had 7 of the 8 top picks the past three years invested in defensive players.  We apparently didn’t give him enough. 

12 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

No it was the secondary years ago…the LBs the second year…the IDL this past year.  Nevermind he had 7 of the 8 top picks the past three years invested in defensive players.  We apparently didn’t give him enough. 

Joe Woods was not a good Defensive Coordinator.

But if the Browns trot out the caliber of DLine again next year, good luck to whoever lands the gig. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

We've seen this play out before.  One year the DC gets it.  The next year it's the HC.  But I'm hoping against it as I kinda' like Stef and I'm sick of starting over all the time.

I like Kevin Stefanski.

I just don't believe in him as a head coach anymore. I hope I'm wrong, and the Browns put up a season again like they did in his first season. 

And I won't pretend to say I know how the Dolphins performed on a game-to-game basis under Flores, but I do know that the Dolphins were absolutely set up to tank with him there, and he had that team playing their asses off and damn near finished .500. 

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Don't sleep on Jim Schwartz.  I was a big fan of his designs when he was in Philly and he might be one of the most creative NFL coaches in generating pressures with only a 4 man rush.  

If the Browns could find three other players besides Myles that can generate a pass rush, sign me up!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Don't sleep on Jim Schwartz.  I was a big fan of his designs when he was in Philly and he might be one of the most creative NFL coaches in generating pressures with only a 4 man rush.  

I'd say Jim does fits this FO..

hope he's interviewed https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/01/browns-request-dc-interviews-with-brian-flores-jim-schwartz-jerod-mayo-sean-desai#comments  2 years & a quality defensive coaching *staff hired .. advantage Schwartz

from espn..

While DC at Philly

Analytics are being deployed on the defensive side of the ball as well. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz might come off as an old-school football guy, but he studied econometrics -- the application of statistical and mathematical techniques in solving problems -- at Georgetown, and is known to be very much data-driven in his approach to the job.

He passes his statistical findings on to his players, and demands they be able to recall it at a moment's notice.

At Titans..

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/tennessee-titans-nfl-jim-schwartz-analytics-history

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I'd say Jim does fits this FO.. hope he's interviewed

from espn..

While DC at Philly

Analytics are being deployed on the defensive side of the ball as well. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz might come off as an old-school football guy, but he studied econometrics -- the application of statistical and mathematical techniques in solving problems -- at Georgetown, and is known to be very much data-driven in his approach to the job.

He passes his statistical findings on to his players, and demands they be able to recall it at a moment's notice.

At Titans..

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/tennessee-titans-nfl-jim-schwartz-analytics-history

There's that, but his defensive structures also play into recent NFL trends that have shown teams reducing their blitz rates.  Not just against certain offenses, but league wide in general.   So his penchant for rush creativity tends to fit hand in hand with that data. 

Like Gregg Williams though, Schwartz is a big believer in man coverage IIRC and was at times, just like Williams, almost far too rigid in his calls for downs/distances.    So It'll be fun if he's hired, checking back on this board this time next year seeing the same posters bitch about his style of coaching vis a vis Woods'.   Almost sort of hoping that happens. 

Either way, any new DC will place renewed emphasis on the DL.  That's the main take away from this.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

However, IMO he's going to at least get the majority of next season to try and prove the Browns brain trust (oxymoron?) didn't make a huge mistake bringing Watson on board. It's playoffs or bust Kev, fail- and you're going to be looking for employment elsewhere, just like Joe.   

Sure, you can never tell ahead of time which teams are going to rise from the ashes, BUT...  losing to the Steelers got the Browns a 2023 last place schedule, playing the likes of the Bears, Cardinals, Rams, Broncos, and Colts.  (I may put the Denver game on my road trip schedule, and Indy is a 100 mile shorter drive for me than Cleveland) 

58 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Browns defensive players want a simplified approach in next defensive coordinator

I heard that on the radio today.  It's a fine line, right?  You want the DC (any coordinator) to be creative, but too creative and you'll have guys blowing assignments.  You don't want your coverage people constantly trying to think about what they should be doing.  It's got to be simple enough so they know their deal and they just react to the play as it unfolds.  They're on your team because of their ability to do those things, not to be solving geometry quizzes out there.

We have an OC as HC.  Our DC will in fact be the HC of the D.  I'd like a DC that can tailor his defensive style/system to the players that he has.   Not  someone showing up with a piece of wood with a bunch of square holes in it.   Like, say, a guy likes to be aggressive with blitzes.  That's fine, but you better have guys that can actually get to the QB.  Going back a few years I remember ballpeen's line, 'Us blitzing is like taking 1 or 2 of our guys and running them off the field'.  Quite funny, but the reality was our blitzers would just be consumed by the opponent's OL.  

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Joe Woods was not a good Defensive Coordinator.

But if the Browns trot out the caliber of DLine again next year, good luck to whoever lands the gig. 

I think the job overall is appealing.  You have three CBs that can play pretty dang good man coverage: Ward, Newsome, Emerson.   We hope the next guy doesn’t sit in zone coverage repeatedly on 3rd and long and pray that Myles gets to the QB.

But You have a centerpiece at DE that teams need to account for every play and a playmaking backer that I hope the next guy can utilize better. 

If can convince John Johnson to play and live up to the contract  and continue to develop Delpit or scheme him into something that plays into his strengths.   You can certainly work with this group.

We need a MIKE and an IDL.  These are priority 1a and 1b.  

I

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

We need a MIKE and an IDL.  These are priority 2a and 2b.  

ahem. FIFY

good luck with thinking 1a and 1b when the browns don't have a first round draft pick for three years.

But, there is the second round....................

Not an attractive landing spot for a DC to walk into.

No LB’s, no DT’s, with just 1 pass rusher.

There’s an over the hill SS that blows coverage on a consistent basis, along with the CB’s that are constantly injured.

I mean…who wouldn’t want that?

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

Our Front Office found players like Emerson and JOK in that area.  

Absolutely true. and Greedy Williams and Austin Corbett.... Schwartz in the third round, I think.

and Wills - who I wonder if he was playing hurt a lot this season....

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

There’s an over the hill SS that blows coverage on a consistent basis, along with the CB’s that are constantly injured.

Eh, I’m not so sure about “no linebackers”. If they resign walker, youd have JOK, walker, and Deion jones who played above average in my opinion. While there’s for sure room to upgrade, the defensive line made the backer core look like more of a liability than it could be. You’re going to whiff more often when running backs don’t get touched till your level. 

it could be worse, but there’s plenty of talent to make this position attractive to come to Cleveland. Especially if there’s a nudge/ wink understanding that Stef’s job could be yours if he waffles again this year, which I’m totally fine with. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I beg to differ.

you have a future HOF DE- entering his prime years.  The position and talent doesn’t grow on trees.  I don’t think he’s much of leader but the talent and that chess piece is very attractive.

And Take a look around the league and see if other teams have 3 DBs that you can put on an island.  Ask Tom Brady what he thinks of our corners.  

What is maddening to me is there is really good football talk on here…but too many of you expect a perfect roster when salary cap and injuries and pursuit of a franchise QB can stand in the way.  And I’m assuming we are adding talent at all three levels in the middle of our defense too.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

10 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I beg to differ.

you have a future HOF DE- entering his prime years.  The position and talent doesn’t grow on trees.  I don’t think he’s much of leader but the talent and that chess piece is very attractive.

And Take a look around the league and see if other teams have 3 DBs that you can put on an island.  Ask Tom Brady what he thinks of our corners.  

What is maddening to me is there is really good football talk on here…but too many of you expect a perfect roster when salary cap and injuries and pursuit of a franchise QB can stand in the way.  And I’m assuming we are adding talent at all three levels in the middle of our defense too.   

Have to agree with @jrb12711 here. With Fields, JOK and Walker, LB is a decently manned position. Heck, even Takitaki was serviceable for depth while on his rookie contract. The problem is that these guys are injured more often than not. Something all too common for other position groups too, as was mentioned.

On at DT Winfrey showed promise, as he got more minutes this season. Would like to see him get a chance as one of the building blocks. Adding a more experienced guy like Ogunjobi would be good, although I doubt we can get him at a rate that is cap-friendly enough. Would definitely like to see our second rounder spent on this position, and probably another late rounder for depth though. 

6 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I beg to differ.

I said we have one pass rusher, so I won’t comment further on this.

Sure and we can ask Flacco, Tua, and some guy named Zappe what they think of our corners.

And while we’re at it, we can inquire about those RB’s on the Falcons & Chargers that had career days against the D.

What is maddening to me is there is really good football talk on here…but too many of you expect a perfect roster when salary cap and injuries and pursuit of a franchise QB can stand in the way.

Perfect roster? When you look at the draft capital and cash spent on the defense, I don’t know where your standards are but I certainly expect a hell of a lot better.

18 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think the job overall is appealing.  You have three CBs that can play pretty dang good man coverage: Ward, Newsome, Emerson.   We hope the next guy doesn’t sit in zone coverage repeatedly on 3rd and long and pray that Myles gets to the QB.

We need a MIKE and an IDL.  These are priority 1a and 1b.  

Did you like the move of Newsome playing as our slot/nickle corner? I still think he's stronger suited to stay outside as CB2? @tiamat63

Newsome went inside to replace Troy Hill.. We might see Berry draft/add a true slot Corner? But not before a Safety 

I'd prefer to not let your two lead-off hitters walk out the building...

Sources: The Browns will interview Tennessee's Jim Schwartz tomorrow,(Wednesday) and
Pittsburgh's Brian Flores on Thursday for their defensive coordinator job, per sources.
(Cleveland still working out timing with NE's Jerod Mayo and Seattle's Sean Desai.)

8 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Did you like the move of Newsome playing as our slot/nickle corner? I still think he's stronger suited to stay outside as CB2? @tiamat63

Newsome went inside to replace Troy Hill.. We might see Berry draft/add a true slot Corner? But not before a Safety 

This might just be a bit of a viewing and experience type bias, but I remember Newsie getting beat across his face to the inside quite a bit.   He was drafted in a similar mold to Emerson, to be that tall(er) type corner with wingspan who could be physical at the line.    It's why I advocated for Ward to take some slot snaps at times.   The whole "we paid him to play #1 outside" notion be damned.  Chris Harris is proof of what an elite, high paid nickel can bring to the table.   And if the offenses' game plan dictates structure to involve that slot as a primary, then I want to use my best weapon to take that away.  

Which reminds me...  I wonder how Damarri Mathis did this season?

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2023 at 7:33 PM, SdBacker80 said:

They didn't have anyone to replace him with in the Defensive staff which is why he was fired pretty much after the final whistle on Sunday.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1