THE BROWNS BOARD

Someone Must Be Giving Haslam/Depodesta Bad Advice/Juju!

nickers

Offensive balance can be found in contrasting styles as well. 

KC is a near 70/30 team.  

The Eagles are one of the first teams since the 13' hawks to make the Superbowl (win in their case) to be bottom 1/3rd in the NFL in pass to run ratio.   They were 2nd in the league in rush attempts last season and 1st this season.

Something I was talking about with Flugs on discord last night - I've had a couple people ask me about Jalen Hurts.  And the more I watch, the more I understand his need for growth as a passer.   Right now the Philly offense is perfectly tailored to a young QB. They have a great Oline, one of the best trios of skill positions in the NFL, and a quality running game which also involves Hurts ability to run as well.  

The Chiefs defense did a better job in the 2nd half of the Superbowl forcing Jalen to be better with his mind and pocket mechanics.   Point being, both offenses put up numbers despite one being run heavy with a competent passing game, and the other being pass heavy with a complimentary running game. 

I grew up watching the old coast west coast from the late 90s with Steve young and then Hasselbeck in Seattle.  Those timing offenses which then in turn focused on the running game 2nd half to wear you down. 

Giving Chubb 25 carries isn't an answer.  Giving him 15 isn't an answer. 

Having the personnel flexibility and coaching staff who can consistently build a more fluid offensive game plan week in and out to maximize defensive exploitation is gold standard.  In the modern NFL, barring having a setup like the Eagles, which is incredibly difficult to sustain over a longer period of time, having an offense that is QB driven is the way to go.  

I love what Chubb has given to this team. I genuinely believe he can play for 5 more years at 16 carries a game and maintain a near historic 5+ YPC, similar to Jamaal Charles.   But if this team was offered a 1st and a mid round pick for him, I'd have to think twice about that as I remove the emotional impact of being a fan. 

The IOL is going nowhere.  They're too valuable to Watson. The next move along the Oline is likely Jed, barring his potential improvement.  And having Pocic show out the way he did, along with (hopefully) having Harris back at full health, is a great problem of talent and depth to have at the center spot.  For those not keeping count, the spot that is more likely than most along the line to suffer lower body injuries in an outside zone offense. 

Johnny J is gone post June 3rd designation and you can book that.  I just don't see any young DBs on this roster ready to replace him at the moment.  So if we're going to be weakening our backfield, then the front needs to be strengthened that much more. 

I'm not freaking out about the pressing needs with WR.  Coop, Njoku, DPJ, Bryant, possibly expanding a role for Felton in the horizontal passing game, and God willing another off-season for Bell who showed some nice I.Q. can make for a quality group.      Beyond Kelce, the pass catches for the Chiefs aren't earth shattering. They just have a QB and an offensive design that does well distributing targets. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

What I'm concerned about is that the Browns front office is going to be in desperation mode this offseason in an attempt to make sure their jobs are secure, and will make short-term decisions that could hurt the Browns long-term.

Kind of like Butch Davis drafting Winslow and signing Jeff Garcia in a "win-now!" short-term move, instead of ever considering drafting Roethlisberger, who would have settled the QB position for nearly two decades. 

I don't worry about it too much.  I mean what short term need might hurt the long term prospects of the draft?  

I suppose if we drafted 3 DT's or 3 receivers and neglected other positions.

I think to cover their jobs they are going to do their best to get that covered in free agency.  I think any GM or coach who thinks their job might be on the line would rather bet of a middle of the road vet over a untested rookie unless that rookie was some sort of all world prospect.  Since we draft in the 2nd round, none of those all world guys are going to be there so I think BPA will still be a big part of who we draft.

Sure, they are bound to draft a DT and receiver, and may even stretch things a bit and bypass a few players at positions of lesser need, but I don't think it will be gross overreach.  I will note that they will be using their board and not any board we can access, so it's possible we might not like some of the picks but I do believe they will stay close to the parameters and draft the guys they feel are the best(or close to) players available.

IMO there are maybe only 2-3 positions where we don't "need" players. We don't need a kicker and punter.  We will just bring in some FA guys to keep those positions in check, and we probably don't need a QB.....at least as far as the draft goes, but we may if a guy we like is there in the late rounds.

I will also note that when I say need at all positions, that doesn't mean we need to replace starters.  In another thread I said I don't root for players as much as I root for the team.  With that in mind then that means you always have a worst player at every position group and you always have a worst player who makes the team, so my attitude is you always have someone who you need to try to replace, no matter how good they might be or how much you might like them..

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

What I'm concerned about is that the Browns front office is going to be in desperation mode this offseason in an attempt to make sure their jobs are secure, and will make short-term decisions that could hurt the Browns long-term.

Kind of like Butch Davis drafting Winslow and signing Jeff Garcia in a "win-now!" short-term move, instead of ever considering drafting Roethlisberger, who would have settled the QB position for nearly two decades. 

I don't worry about it too much.  I mean what short term need might hurt the long term prospects of the draft?  

I suppose if we drafted 3 DT's or 3 receivers and neglected other positions.

I think to cover their jobs they are going to do their best to get that covered in free agency.  I think any GM or coach who thinks their job might be on the line would rather bet on a middle of the road vet over a untested rookie unless that rookie was some sort of all world prospect.  Since we draft in the 2nd round, none of those all world guys are going to be there so I think BPA will still be a big part of who we draft.

Sure, they are bound to draft a DT and receiver, and may even stretch things a bit and bypass a few players at positions of lesser need, but I don't think it will be gross overreach.  I will note that they will be using their board and not any board we can access, so it's possible we might not like some of the picks but I do believe they will stay close to the set parameters and draft the guys they feel are the best(or close to) players available.

IMO there are maybe only 2-3 positions where we don't "need" players. We don't need a kicker and punter.  We will just bring in some FA guys to keep those positions in check, and we probably don't need a QB.....at least as far as the draft goes, but we may if a guy we like is there in the late rounds.

I will also note that when I say need at all positions, that doesn't mean we need to replace starters.  In another thread I said I don't root for players as much as I root for the team.  With that in mind then that means you always have a worst player at every position group, and you always have a worst player who makes the team, so my attitude is you always have someone who you need to try to replace, no matter how good they might be or how much you might like them.

8 hours ago, Bob806 said:

The team who is better at stopping the run.

Ok, it's just 1 game as an example, but look at Cincy @ Buffalo in the divisional round. Two really good QBs, Cincy certainly has the edge at WR there. But in the end, it was Cincy's ground attack with Mixon & Perine that enabled a 27-10 victory. Buffalo became so reliant on Allen's legs & arm they died on it. The Bills simply cannot run the ball.

I don't think the Browns are too far away from being a serious contender. Shore up that run D, nab a speedy sure handed receiver, use Chubb/Ford/Felton and they're a threat (I excluded Hunt, I think he's a goner).

I couldn't have said it better myself.  In fact, I didn't.  YES, let's get this defense competing.  We added the DC a lot of us are very excited about.  We need that meat market inside/upfront although we don't want any meatheads.  I'll bet Clowney lined up offsides more than half the kids playing youth football in Ohio.  We could also use a replacement for John Johnson that Tia mentioned.  Maybe a WR somewhere in the mid-late rounds.

Anyway, the time is NOW.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1