THE BROWNS BOARD

Where are all the mock drafts??

Kvoethe

32 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Used to be 3 or 10 by now.

You're right - we definitely need more. They're in different threads but I've seen one from Dutch, Gumby, Ballpeen, I did one, I think Aggies did one although I don't remember seeing 8 different guys from Texas A&M in 1 mock draft yet, I can't remember if Unsympathetic did one yet or not, I think KD did one. @tiamat63 needs to get one in.  Calfox, Nickers, Orion, anyone looking forward to the draft.

Mine could use some updating so I'll try to throw one together. It would be nice to get them all in 1 thread.   Do you mind if we park them here @Kvoethe?  Let's get one from you too.  

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

You're right - we definitely need more. They're in different threads but I've seen one from Dutch, Gumby, Ballpeen, I did one, I think Aggies did one although I don't remember seeing 8 different guys from Texas A&M in 1 mock draft yet, I can't remember if Unsympathetic did one yet or not, I think KD did one. @tiamat63 needs to get one in.  Calfox, Nickers, Orion, anyone looking forward to the draft.

Mine could use some updating so I'll try to throw one together. It would be nice to get them all in 1 thread.   Do you mind if we park them here @Kvoethe?  Let's get one from you too.  

I've walked away from mocks almost entirely bubs. 

Ultimately I realize my evals don't align with where someone might be drafted, only how I feel their draft value stands.  Anthony Richardson is being hyped as a 1st round pick - His film says Day 2, and that's being generous. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

I've walked away from mocks almost entirely bubs. 

Ultimately I realize my evals don't align with where someone might be drafted, only how I feel their draft value stands.  Anthony Richardson is being hyped as a 1st round pick - His film says Day 2, and that's being generous. 

dude from nfl network had him going top  5 

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Where are all the mock drafts??

We don't pick until the third round, that's why.  Practically to the point of rotational and ST players.  

yep. I have done my stupid mock drafts for years, but lost interest now, at least this year, though next year we also don't have a first round pick......

I'd rather sit around our firepit and play my harmonica, drinking some green tea/pine needle tea, baking a pineapple upside down cake in the fire.... than watch the draft this year.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Orion said:

I'll bring an acoustic guitar.  We'll play Shanty by Jonathan Edwards. 

AWESOME !  That's some great old Blues, reminds me of us   in the Air Force hanging out on Bourbon Street in New Orleans listening to a great band one Sunday afternoon. Yeah, just give me some time to...eh....brush up on that one....no hurry. lol

This is not the year to be a top 15 pick team.   This could be the ultimate bust year.

First, Will Levis…did we learn anything guys like Blaine Gabbert or further back Christian Ponder.  I didn’t see it at Penn State and very few glimpses at Kentucky- but he will project well at the next level- nah.

Richardson.  Has some big play magic but I don’t see him being a consistent performer.

Small QB how’s that working out?  Yet Bryce Young expected to be the top guy. 

I love Zay Flowers and JSN…they will be spectacular toys that an offensive play caller will love.  Paris Johnson and the NW tackle are both safe and steady. 

Guys like Tyree Wilson - Tarzan with great measurables and average production. And then you Jalen Carter questionable judgment. 

admittedly, I haven’t looked much at the corners you have a handsy guy like Joey Porter Jr. and I don’t see Michael Mayer being the second coming of George kittle. 

I’d be mocking a lot of mistakes 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

This is not the year to be a top 15 pick team.   This could be the ultimate bust year.

First, Will Levis…did we learn anything guys like Blaine Gabbert or further back Christian Ponder.  I didn’t see it at Penn State and very few glimpses at Kentucky- but he will project well at the next level- nah.

Richardson.  Has some big play magic but I don’t see him being a consistent performer.

Small QB how’s that working out?  Yet Bryce Young expected to be the top guy. 

I love Zay Flowers and JSN…they will be spectacular toys that an offensive play caller will love.  Paris Johnson and the NW tackle are both safe and steady. 

Guys like Tyree Wilson - Tarzan with great measurables and average production. And then you Jalen Carter questionable judgment. 

admittedly, I haven’t looked much at the corners you have a handsy guy like Joey Porter Jr. and I don’t see Michael Mayer being the second coming of George kittle. 

I’d be mocking a lot of mistakes 

Well said.  I think Stroud and Young will be good picks. Having said that, getting drafted in the top 2 or 3 picks means that the 1st year or 2 probably won't be anywhere close to being as easy as game day at Alabama or Ohio State.  Compare those pass protections and WR Corps to Carolina or even Houston to understand it may take a couple minutes.  Or, just watch what Justin Fields has had to go through in Chicago.

Every time I've seen Will Levis play - the impression I'm left with is he makes very bad decisions at the worst times.  19 TD passes to 10 or 11 INTs isn't even a 2:1 TD:INT ratio at the college level he's supposed to dominate as a future franchise QB.  He's a great athlete but the carelessness when it's time to win the game is a red flag to build a team around.  Anthony Richardson at the Combines did what Tebow did - excelled in all the fitness evaluations but threw better (without a pass rush hurrying/obstructing throws or corners contesting accuracy).  

When the Browns traded the 2nd round pick - starting a mock draft in round 3 lost its sizzle.  It's already difficult to project that round considering recent reaches that were made in that round by Berry for Schwartz and Wright.  In fairness, Berry did steal Emerson in round 3 - who had enough skills to have Greg Newsome covering the Slot when he returned to the line-up.  Emerson looks like a great press cover guy so covering slot receivers off the line of scrimmage wastes one of his biggest strengths IMO.  Knowing Berry LOVES drafting corners - I'm starting to wonder if he's tempted to trade Newsome for a move-up in this draft.  I think he'd draw some interest.  Another guy that might interest the Bears on the OL has been mentioned by Gumby as a trade bait is Wyatt Teller - especially considering the Browns re-signed OG Michael Dunn.  

I think we can handle a trade-up as long as we don't make the trade-up to reach on a guy most teams wouldn't even consider drafting before round 4 or 5.

On 4/20/2023 at 4:17 AM, Flugel said:

Well said.  I think Stroud and Young will be good picks. Having said that, getting drafted in the top 2 or 3 picks means that the 1st year or 2 probably won't be anywhere close to being as easy as game day at Alabama or Ohio State.  Compare those pass protections and WR Corps to Carolina or even Houston to understand it may take a couple minutes.  Or, just watch what Justin Fields has had to go through in Chicago.

Every time I've seen Will Levis play - the impression I'm left with is he makes very bad decisions at the worst times.  19 TD passes to 10 or 11 INTs isn't even a 2:1 TD:INT ratio at the college level he's supposed to dominate as a future franchise QB.  He's a great athlete but the carelessness when it's time to win the game is a red flag to build a team around.  Anthony Richardson at the Combines did what Tebow did - excelled in all the fitness evaluations but threw better (without a pass rush hurrying/obstructing throws or corners contesting accuracy).  

When the Browns traded the 2nd round pick - starting a mock draft in round 3 lost its sizzle.  It's already difficult to project that round considering recent reaches that were made in that round by Berry for Schwartz and Wright.  In fairness, Berry did steal Emerson in round 3 - who had enough skills to have Greg Newsome covering the Slot when he returned to the line-up.  Emerson looks like a great press cover guy so covering slot receivers off the line of scrimmage wastes one of his biggest strengths IMO.  Knowing Berry LOVES drafting corners - I'm starting to wonder if he's tempted to trade Newsome for a move-up in this draft.  I think he'd draw some interest.  Another guy that might interest the Bears on the OL has been mentioned by Gumby as a trade bait is Wyatt Teller - especially considering the Browns re-signed OG Michael Dunn.  

I think we can handle a trade-up as long as we don't make the trade-up to reach on a guy most teams wouldn't even consider drafting before round 4 or 5.

I’m with you on Wyatt.  I think it is a sell high moment- although that contract he has might not be too enticing for potential suitors. 

Bryce is 5’10’’ no thanks.  Brees being an exception but he was 6’.   Brees moved in the pocket reallly well creating passing lanes and had elite weapons throughout his career.  He needs an offensive coordinator that will accept some limitations and cater a plan to his strengths outside of the pocket and some of these guys are way too hard headed.

Im leaning the other way I’d rather stash some capital for next year or even 25 when the we start to really get pinched by the cap and we start losing some of these decent experienced guys we’ve acquired the last four years.  

I have no desire to trade Newsome who is on a rookie deal and outperforming the contract.  Especially with “Hospital” Ward taking month long injury sabbaticals each year.

don’t have a lot of input with the draft this year…but give me Keaton Mitchell RB out of ECU. Late round flyer on a guy like Rakim Jarrett WR Maryland.  A tackle and some Dlineman too. 

If we are keeping the 3rd round pick that could be a good spot for a MIke 

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’m with you on Wyatt.  I think it is a sell high moment- although that contract he has might not be too enticing for potential suitors. 

Bryce is 5’10’’ no thanks.  Brees being an exception but he was 6’.   Brees moved in the pocket reallly well creating passing lanes and had elite weapons throughout his career.  He needs an offensive coordinator that will accept some limitations and cater a plan to his strengths outside of the pocket and some of these guys are way too hard headed.

Im leaning the other way I’d rather stash some capital for next year or even 25 when the we start to really get pinched by the cap and we start losing some of these decent experienced guys we’ve acquired the last four years.  

I have no desire to trade Newsome who is on a rookie deal and outperforming the contract.  Especially with “Hospital” Ward taking month long injury sabbaticals each year.

don’t have a lot of input with the draft this year…but give me Keaton Mitchell RB out of ECU. Late round flyer on a guy like Rakim Jarrett WR Maryland.  A tackle and some Dlineman too. 

If we are keeping the 3rd round pick that could be a good spot for a MIke 

Good points about Ward's injuries.  You thought that through better than I did.  I'm not quite as cozy with Newsome as you are just yet. I think he's good and steadily improving; but I think the pleasant surprise of Emerson offers us even more in terms of press at the LOS (which means he's wasted covering the slot off the line of scrimmage).  That's not a knock on Newsome as much as it is a great asset for our 3rd round corner. Newsome got frustrated when the Browns had him on the slot when he returned from injury.   Emerson was playing so well - they were justified keeping a good thing going.  

As for the QB, I'd take Stroud if I was Carolina.  I agree that height is important for vision.  You brought up Brees who struggled as last as his 3rd NFL season going 2-9 with 11 TD passes and 15 INTs.  SD finished with the worst record and drafted Eli Manning 1st overall in the next draft.  When Eli reminded them he wasn't going to play there - they had to trade Eli to the Giants for the right to pick Philip Rivers.  Rivers held out for the length of training camp - and Drew Brees emerged in his 4th NFL season.SD went 12-4 and Brees made the Pro Bowl.  I still think Young will be one of the 2 best QBs in this draft with Stroud.  Not fond of the rest.  I like the kid from Fresno State too.  

15 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Good points about Ward's injuries.  You thought that through better than I did.  I'm not quite as cozy with Newsome as you are just yet. I think he's good and steadily improving; but I think the pleasant surprise of Emerson offers us even more in terms of press at the LOS (which means he's wasted covering the slot off the line of scrimmage).  That's not a knock on Newsome as much as it is a great asset for our 3rd round corner. Newsome got frustrated when the Browns had him on the slot when he returned from injury.   Emerson was playing so well - they were justified keeping a good thing going.  

As for the QB, I'd take Stroud if I was Carolina.  I agree that height is important for vision.  You brought up Brees who struggled as last as his 3rd NFL season going 2-9 with 11 TD passes and 15 INTs.  SD finished with the worst record and drafted Eli Manning 1st overall in the next draft.  When Eli reminded them he wasn't going to play there - they had to trade Eli to the Giants for the right to pick Philip Rivers.  Rivers held out for the length of training camp - and Drew Brees emerged in his 4th NFL season.SD went 12-4 and Brees made the Pro Bowl.  I still think Young will be one of the 2 best QBs in this draft with Stroud.  Not fond of the rest.  I like the kid from Fresno State too.  

Haener is a good one with lots of experience coming into the NFL.  He was playing college ball back in 2018.  Aiden O’Connell Purdue is another one…had a better Jr.  Year.  Put some good tape up for the OSU game back in 2021.

Brees could have been Marino Part II if he didn’t have that bad shoulder injury his last year with the Chargers (all numbers no titles). Actually good for him that he got out of here.  BTW Gerard Big Money Warren was the culprit with that injury.   I remember it was the last game of the season.  Most of the Chargers Media wanted Brees back they had no idea what Rivers could deliver almost thought of Rivers as second rate because they all wanted Eli.   It seemed like Brees threw the ball from his tip toes.

We pick a week from tonight, #74.    

Catches a lot of his targets, runs fast:   Jalin Hyatt NFL Draft profiles | PFF

Lots of catches last year:   Rashee Rice NFL Draft profiles | PFF

Good size and good speed:  (I like tall)    A.T. Perry NFL Draft profiles | PFF

TE with good size:    Tucker Kraft NFL Draft profiles | PFF

Big edge guy:   Karl Brooks NFL Draft profiles | PFF

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Haener is a good one with lots of experience coming into the NFL.  He was playing college ball back in 2018.  Aiden O’Connell Purdue is another one…had a better Jr.  Year.  Put some good tape up for the OSU game back in 2021.

Brees could have been Marino Part II if he didn’t have that bad shoulder injury his last year with the Chargers (all numbers no titles). Actually good for him that he got out of here.  BTW Gerard Big Money Warren was the culprit with that injury.   I remember it was the last game of the season.  Most of the Chargers Media wanted Brees back they had no idea what Rivers could deliver almost thought of Rivers as second rate because they all wanted Eli.   It seemed like Brees threw the ball from his tip toes.

I really liked Brees.  You're probably aware of everything I'm about to type but I just enjoyed how he responded to adversity. This was the guy I hoped Baker could be but I was very wrong about that.  When a lot of people think back to him, they forget he wasn't an immediate star.  If Rivers didn't hold out for the entire training camp (which was the beginning of Brees' 4th NFL season) - that career might not have ever launched.  I think a big difference in his career because of his height was getting him back in the shot gun formations at the frequency Purdue did that with him.  The rationale behind the advantage of it was that it helped his peripheral vision from pre-snap right up to the release.  Coincidently, the Chargers drafted Purdue Center Nick Hardwick in 2004 (Brees' breakout season) and he started 14 games as a rookie.  This turned into a very solid 11 year career for Hardwick with a Pro Bowl in 2006.

There's so many things that go into that short window of opportunity for young QBs to either develop or flatline.  Even a guy like Brees could have fallen through the cracks given what that organization did with the 1st overall pick.  

I remembered hearing an interview with Brees' surgeon (the well respected/widely used Dr Andrews).  Anyway Dr Andrews said he was surprised that after he said Drew had a very good post surgery prognosis to the extent he expected Drew's arm to be even stronger than it was pre-injury - only about 2 teams were interested.  The good news is he went to a very smart offensive minded HC Coach (Sean Payton) in New Orleans in 2006 where they eventually won a Super Bowl.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

I really liked Brees.

I don't like itsy bitsy QB's.  Give me a big tall drink of water with a strong (enough) arm.  Little guys in the big leagues have two strikes against them because of their size.  Having said that, Brees was quite good.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

I don't like itsy bitsy QB's.  Give me a big tall drink of water with a strong (enough) arm.  Little guys in the big leagues have two strikes against them because of their size.  Having said that, Brees was quite good.

He also benefited I believe by playing his career in very nice outdoor weather (San Diego) and in a dome (New Orleans), against divisional rivals who generally played in either/or too. Not trying to denigrate his career, I just wonder how he would have done playing outdoors in the North.

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

He also benefited I believe by playing his career in very nice outdoor weather (San Diego) and in a dome (New Orleans), against divisional rivals who generally played in either/or too. Not trying to denigrate his career, I just wonder how he would have done playing outdoors in the North.

Yeah, those seem like ideal places for a QB.   That said, Brees did put up some impressive passing numbers in the Big 10 - where the weather wasn't always ideal.

Edited by Flugel
corrected was to wasn't
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, those seem like ideal places for a QB.   That said, Brees did put up some impressive passing numbers in the Big 10 - where the weather was always ideal.

That is true, even though the schedule wrapped up in November. 

I still remember him beating Ohio State and being pretty salty about it. My memory is foggy, but it feels like there might have been a blown assignment by Mike Doss involved?

33 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I still remember him beating Ohio State and being pretty salty about it. My memory is foggy, but it feels like there might have been a blown assignment by Mike Doss involved?

He put a ball up it seemed like 65-70yards in stride to someone.  Maybe it was shorter but he was a gamer and had a skill set for the next level.  He was placed well in both stops which I think was very important for his development.

12 hours ago, Flugel said:

I really liked Brees.  You're probably aware of everything I'm about to type but I just enjoyed how he responded to adversity. This was the guy I hoped Baker could be but I was very wrong about that.  When a lot of people think back to him, they forget he wasn't an immediate star.  If Rivers didn't hold out for the entire training camp (which was the beginning of Brees' 4th NFL season) - that career might not have ever launched.  I think a big difference in his career because of his height was getting him back in the shot gun formations at the frequency Purdue did that with him.  The rationale behind the advantage of it was that it helped his peripheral vision from pre-snap right up to the release.  Coincidently, the Chargers drafted Purdue Center Nick Hardwick in 2004 (Brees' breakout season) and he started 14 games as a rookie.  This turned into a very solid 11 year career for Hardwick with a Pro Bowl in 2006.

There's so many things that go into that short window of opportunity for young QBs to either develop or flatline.  Even a guy like Brees could have fallen through the cracks given what that organization did with the 1st overall pick.  

I remembered hearing an interview with Brees' surgeon (the well respected/widely used Dr Andrews).  Anyway Dr Andrews said he was surprised that after he said Drew had a very good post surgery prognosis to the extent he expected Drew's arm to be even stronger than it was pre-injury - only about 2 teams were interested.  The good news is he went to a very smart offensive minded HC Coach (Sean Payton) in New Orleans in 2006 where they eventually won a Super Bowl.  

You hit it all here.  

I just wanted to point out I think he could have been a Charger for life if not for that injury even with Rivers.  

He’s definitely an exception and not a rule for small QB success in the NFL

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

You hit it all here.  

I just wanted to point out I think he could have been a Charger for life if not for that injury even with Rivers.  

He’s definitely an exception and not a rule for small QB success in the NFL

Before him there was Fran the Man who was the exact same height (6 ft) as Brees but did not weigh as much by close to 20 lbs. Different era, but successful nonetheless.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Before him there was Fran

Wasn't he entertaining though.  He tortured DLinemen.  He made them chase him all around behind the LOS.  

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Good point! I actually had a typo in the worst possible place anyway. I meant to say where the weather wasn't always ideal but typed was always ideal. I'm gonna correct that now.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Orion said:

Wasn't he entertaining though.  He tortured DLinemen.  He made them chase him all around behind the LOS.  

He sure did!  It was a who's intimidating who show that a lot of defensive lines weren't prepared for.

The closest guy I could find to him in terms in terms of height and inability to get a clean shot on him is Russell Wilson.  He's been sacked a lot because he hasn't always had the greatest pass protection upfront.  

Russell is 5'11" and like Aggies said Fran Tarkenton is/was 6'0".  Wilson has led his team to 2 Super Bowls while Tarkenton led the Vikings to 3.  Both guys could somehow dodge a bunch of defenders while staying behind the line of scrimmage enough to make defensive backs pay for the length of time they had to cover people because of it.  Meatball on spaghetti, they were also accurate.