THE BROWNS BOARD

Where are all the mock drafts??

Kvoethe

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Good point! I actually had a typo in the worst possible place anyway. I meant to say where the weather wasn't always ideal but typed was always ideal. I'm gonna correct that now.  

When I read it at first I'm like "Why the hell is Flugs getting all sarcastic?" 😂 I re-read it and figured it was a typo. 

• Haha 2

Our 'other' 3rd round pick - #98

Good against the run -DB:  Jartavius Martin NFL Draft profiles | PFF

A Pettine sized CB:  Cory Trice NFL Draft profiles | PFF

An Ohio State player - S:   Ronnie Hickman NFL Draft profiles | PFF

Coverage LB'er:   Dorian Williams NFL Draft profiles | PFF

...for $#!+'s and giggles - OL:  Tyler Steen NFL Draft profiles | PFF

---------

I wouldn't be surprised to see this pick packaged with some later picks in order to move up somewhere.  

14 hours ago, Orion said:

Our 'other' 3rd round pick - #98

Good against the run -DB:  Jartavius Martin NFL Draft profiles | PFF

A Pettine sized CB:  Cory Trice NFL Draft profiles | PFF

An Ohio State player - S:   Ronnie Hickman NFL Draft profiles | PFF

Coverage LB'er:   Dorian Williams NFL Draft profiles | PFF

...for $#!+'s and giggles - OL:  Tyler Steen NFL Draft profiles | PFF

---------

I wouldn't be surprised to see this pick packaged with some later picks in order to move up somewhere.  

We have 7 picks in 2024 draft with  Nothing in the 1st and 4th round and no likelihood of any compensatory picks.   I would be shocked if we don’t move a pick in 2023 to move up a round in 2024.  Like the latter 4th round for a 3rd round in 2024.

The roster gets murky around 2024/2025 and when we have to start making hard sacrifices and losing guys that we’ve developed into solid players because of the cap. 

i would probably focus those first three picks around a Mike, Tackle, DT. These spots have shaky depth and no long term plan.   WR is up there too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

We have 7 picks in 2024 draft with  Nothing in the 1st and 4th round and no likelihood of any compensatory picks.   I would be shocked if we don’t move a pick in 2023 to move up a round in 2024.  Like the latter 4th round for a 3rd round in 2024.

The roster gets murky around 2024/2025 and when we have to start making hard sacrifices and losing guys that we’ve developed into solid players because of the cap. 

i would probably focus those first three picks around a Mike, Tackle, DT. These spots have shaky depth and no long term plan.   WR is up there too. 

Well it all shakes out Th-Sat. We shall see.

9 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

We have 7 picks in 2024 draft with  Nothing in the 1st and 4th round

• Cleveland Browns draft picks 2024
    • 2nd round pick
    • 3rd round pick
    • 5th round pick (via CAR)
    • 5th round pick
    • 6th round pick (via HOU)
    • 7th round pick (via ATL)
    • 7th round pick

Very bottom heavy.   ---  And what do ya do with 7th round picks?  Draft value charts have almost the whole round worth 1 point each.  It takes 3 of 'em just to move to the top of the round.  

The 2023 & 2024 draft outlooks are the reason that we had to be so active in FA.  

I say we offer Minnesota picks 74, 98 & 111 for their pick 87 and a 2nd rounder next year.

• Upvote 1

Every one of you seems to be posting very wholesome, 'build through the draft' type comments. Sorry to rain on your parade. While that would be great in an ideal world, that is not where we are (are the Browns ever in an ideal world?).

Realty check: The Browns are Win Now. Scrap that. We are win yesterday! Look at the DW trade; look at the coaching staff changes; look at the activity on the FA market! Haslem is absolutely desperate to make something from the current situation. Other than the fact that he IS to blame for said situation, I can't say I blame him.

We have a squad and staff that, if everything comes together, could go on a deep play-off run. The trade value of said squad is much less. The only first rounders on the trade market are Myles and DW. Maybe Ward was well, but I think we're talking 2nd rounder when the time comes. Chubb, as much as we love him, is barely worth a 3rd rounder when you look at the current RB market. Maybe talented guys on rookie deals like Emerson would fetch a 2nd rounder, but that's about it. Other than that: old guys, who's main value is short-term, on the field for a contender. 

Mark my words: if we are not top 2 in the AFC North halfway through the season, Stefanski is out. I would expect more win-now activity on the trade market around that same time. And if we do not go on that deep play-off run withing the next two seasons, Haslam and Depo are going to tear it down and tank, to amass picks for a complete re-build.

This concludes KD's opinionated public service announcement for today. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Every one of you seems to be posting very wholesome, ... type comments.

That's because we drink milk!  And not that 1 or 2% stuff.

Either that or because, the draft, and especially from our starting point, is for the future.  And many of us have stated the importance of this upcoming football season...regarding trigger-finger Haslem and the need to win right now.  That's why Berry went to FA to try and fill all of those defensive holes...and traded for a WR.  He's gotta win now, and the draft just wasn't gonna do it.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Orion said:

That's because we drink milk!  And not that 1 or 2% stuff.

Either that or because, the draft, and especially from our starting point, is for the future.  And many of us have stated the importance of this upcoming football season...regarding trigger-finger Haslem and the need to win right now.  That's why Berry went to FA to try and fill all of those defensive holes...and traded for a WR.  He's gotta win now, and the draft just wasn't gonna do it.  

Like I said, in an ideal world, or in theory that would be great. Would fully support that. My perception of the ownership is the polar opposite. Berry might say stuff like "we look at the draft more through a long-term lens," and I believe he would like to do so, I firmly believe Haslam has a proverbial gun to his head telling him to do otherwise. He might still draft down, but his orders are to win now, the future be damned. 

And in terms of milk: I had the (mis)fortune to be offered chilled raw milk by a farmer as a kid. Once you have that, you are left 'chasing the dragon' ever after. The exact same stuff baby cows drink, untreated, just chilled. Unspeakably delicious! Probably also helped me to grow to 6'7" 300 pounds at age 13, but I digress. 

• Like 1

In an ideal world.. The draft would provide 1 or 2 immediate starters and immediate depth at 3-4 additional positions.  Further, the depth should be able to grow into starter role in 2-3 seasons.  Only way a draft could actually fix anything is with multiple picks in the first 2-3 rounds.. and generally at least one pick will be a bust.

This is the draft outlook that a team that constantly makes the playoffs has to adopt. 

One draft won't "fix everything" unless you already have the OL and DL and only need to draft a WR late in the first to take the top off.  You know, the 49ers just before the 1985 draft.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

So...... Was offensive line just not a suitable profession for your abilities or...? 

In another life, I would have loved to.

Prior to the NFL Europe that, together with the Madden games got me interested, Football of the American kind was very much a fringe sport in The Netherlands and even more so in the rest of Europe. Netball kind of fringe. It still is, although less so. It is simply not a sport a kid chooses. 

Funnily enough, I did get 'scouted' around age 18. A Dutch-American guy in the Amsterdam area recruited big guys such as myself for high schools in the US. Most commonly joining as a senior after graduating in NL, with the opportunity to get noticed for college. This is more common for basketball though, the Dutch being the tallest people and all. 

Unfortunately, by that time, I already had a pretty nasty cartilage injury in my lower back. I had also recently recovered from a partially torn tendon in my ankle, causing a 'drop foot' and requiring six month of PT to walk normally again. I figured my chances of achieving a career in professional sports were pretty slim, and went the boring 9 to 5 route. Probably would have ended up doing a short stint in WWE and then developing a serious alcohol and/ or drugs problem, while barely getting by on the independent wrestling circuit.

But one can't help but ponder what having 'Big Dutch' on the O-line would have been. 

• Like 1