THE BROWNS BOARD

Schedule

44 minutes ago, nickers said:

We'll see... He's no Burrow that's for sure...

Based on what? We don’t know how he’s going to be. He’s gained like 12-15 pounds of muscle and has been throwing like a mad man all off-season. Burrow is great but people act like he’s some sort of supreme athletic specimen. Go check his RAS.

54 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

As someone that seems to pride himself on talking line play unless I’m mistaking you for someone else the Steelers beefed the hell out of the line this off-season. Added a tremendous guard in Seumalo, signed herbig to be a swing and drafted Jones at 14. They also added Darnell Washington for what should shape up to be a nutty 12 personnel. The steeler line was also vastly improved to close out the year.  

I'm well aware of who the Steelers drafted to address the issue.  But they're still rookies. So any improvement is again, pure projection. 

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm well aware of who the Steelers drafted to address the issue.  But they're still rookies. So any improvement is again, pure projection. 

Seumalo is not a rookie and he was easily the best guard available and frankly if he were anywhere else besides the eagles he would have even higher praise than he already does. Unsung hero of that eagles line. Jones doesn’t even need to start and the interior of the line is vastly improved. 

5 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Watson played his ass off in that Saints game

He put 3 TD passes right where they needed to be.  Two drops and a slip & fall down.   He played well enough to win.  Still though, the reason it cost 256mil is because he doesn't like the cold.  He was ready to become a Saint or a Falcon.  We were declared out of the sweepstakes the day before the announcement that he was going to the Browns.

17 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Seumalo is not a rookie and he was easily the best guard available and frankly if he were anywhere else besides the eagles he would have even higher praise than he already does. Unsung hero of that eagles line. Jones doesn’t even need to start and the interior of the line is vastly improved.

I was referring to Jones and Washington, pretty clearly I thought.    IOL has improved, I have no argument there.   Maybe now they won't have to ride Najee so damn much and he'll actually have some tread on the fire for his 2nd contract.  

10 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I was referring to Jones and Washington, pretty clearly I thought.    IOL has improved, I have no argument there.   Maybe now they won't have to ride Najee so damn much and he'll actually have some tread on the fire for his 2nd contract.  

Harris is going to get his touches, he’s just going to have far more room to run. People are sleeping on the Steelers. I think it’s amusing. The hurdle is Matt Canada. 

13 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Harris is going to get his touches, he’s just going to have far more room to run. People are sleeping on the Steelers. I think it’s amusing. The hurdle is Matt Canada. 

Nobody is sleeping on the Steelers. The NFL has them scheduled for 5 primetime games. As a comparison, the Packers have 6. Two teams who've had a good run of success, but were basically .500 teams in 2023. They will remain in Roger's favor for quite awhile. 

The AFC North will probably be won with a 10-7 record. I think the teams are all pretty even- certainly Cincy has the edge now due to past success, and the best QB. 

34 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Nobody is sleeping on the Steelers. The NFL has them scheduled for 5 primetime games. As a comparison, the Packers have 6. Two teams who've had a good run of success, but were basically .500 teams in 2023. They will remain in Roger's favor for quite awhile. 

The AFC North will probably be won with a 10-7 record. I think the teams are all pretty even- certainly Cincy has the edge now due to past success, and the best QB. 

I don’t look at scheduling as an indicator to how people feel about teams. The Steelers are a big draw period because the fan base is spread so far out post the collapse of the steel industry. I guess specifically I think people are sleeping on pickett. Either way you aren’t wrong, the division is going to be a blood bath. I do think there will be teams with more than 10 wins tho. 

5 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Why do people doubt pickett? He played pretty well as a rookie once the offense got under him. I expect a big leap this season. 

I've been wondering about that myself. I think you guys got a Grand Theft with Pickett.  FWIW, I think he only threw 1 INT in the last 5 or 6 games. I wanted us to draft him instead of going in the direction we went.  I hope I was wrong about that. 

31 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I've been wondering about that myself. I think you guys got a Grand Theft with Pickett.  FWIW, I think he only threw 1 INT in the last 5 or 6 games. I wanted us to draft him instead of going in the direction we went.  I hope I was wrong about that. 

I was not sold  on pickett as much coming out of the draft. I was a fan but I wasn’t sure he was the answer. I’m a giant fan now. Obviously I’m in enemy territory here and I appreciate people being cordial with me as I appreciate reading opinions here. Pickett is the definition of calm and cool in the pockett. He’s mobile but doesn’t need to rely on it and he works his ass off. He has literally been throwing all summer long and put on 12-15 pounds of lean muscle. The browns would be well on their way had they gone that route. I think the watson contract is a boat anchor, especially with 65m against next season courtesy of the restructure. 

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Based on what? We don’t know how he’s going to be. He’s gained like 12-15 pounds of muscle and has been throwing like a mad man all off-season. Burrow is great but people act like he’s some sort of supreme athletic specimen. Go check his RAS.

I never said Burrow was all that either... Big deal he put on weight...  That translates 0 at this point..

6 minutes ago, nickers said:

I never said Burrow was all that either... Big deal he put on weight...  That translates 0 at this point..

My point is he’s been working his ass off. The team actually put an office for him near the coaches office because he was spending so much time there. If nothing else he’s working his ass off to be great and I expect a big leap this season. Guess we are gonna find out. 

2 hours ago, Orion said:

He put 3 TD passes right where they needed to be.  Two drops and a slip & fall down.   He played well enough to win.  Still though, the reason it cost 256mil is because he doesn't like the cold.  He was ready to become a Saint or a Falcon.  We were declared out of the sweepstakes the day before the announcement that he was going to the Browns.

So, from this sequence of events, we can infer that Cleveland wasn't his first choice. Big deal, it is unlikely to be for most players who are not from there. I am also happy to go along with the idea that he doesn't like the cold.

Still, he did choose to be a Brown in the end. So, bases on that, it would seem that he likes money more than he dislikes the cold. And in the below video from that day, what I see most is a guy who enjoys playing football a whole lot.

In addition to the 3 passes that should have been TDs that you mentioned, he also rushed for one more in the cold. Watson in winter is the least of our worries.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

My point is he’s been working his ass off. The team actually put an office for him near the coaches office because he was spending so much time there. If nothing else he’s working his ass off to be great and I expect a big leap this season. Guess we are gonna find out. 

He gets a chance to prove it one way or another.. That's all you can ask for at this point... I expect us to be better on defense.. It's our offense that concerns me and the chickenshit coaching by Kevvy... I'm still not sold and I expect us to be in the basement again...

15 minutes ago, nickers said:

He gets a chance to prove it one way or another.. That's all you can ask for at this point... I expect us to be better on defense.. It's our offense that concerns me and the chickenshit coaching by Kevvy... I'm still not sold and I expect us to be in the basement again...

The offense was averaging 24 ppg., despite passing on makeable FGs and going for it a lot on 4th down. 

I'm not expecting miracles, but I do think a healthy Browns offense scores enough points to win in most instances. 

I kind of get why fans are down on Stefanski, but let's see how this supposed "new look" offense is before we ask he get fired. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Working his ass off don't mean shit. They all work their ass off. 

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

None of your draft picks, undrafted free agents and longshots are going to work their ass off either to become starters or at least survive the final cuts?

My point was not all quarterbacks do or I should say not all qbs push themselves in fall facets to ascend. Ben for example did it on pure talent all the time but wasn’t exactly mr. Off-season etc. Kyler Murray is well documented. 

8 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Every time I see the name "Matt Canada" I instantly think about the story of Michael Vick and his alias and whatever STD he was giving chicks - but I can't remember what his alias was!? Ron Mexico? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Steelers have the 4th best QB in the division.    :o

No joke now.    Until big Ben finally  retired this was a really good quarterback division.   Too bad for Pittsburgh that they never did any serious quarterback succession  planning.   Oh well good for  CLE, CIN, BAL  untill PIT  gets a franchise quarterback aboard. 

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

My point was not all quarterbacks do or I should say not all qbs push themselves in fall facets to ascend. Ben for example did it on pure talent all the time but wasn’t exactly mr. Off-season etc. Kyler Murray is well documented. 

Sounds like Vagi is developing Browns optimism before the season starts, wait until he comes up with excuses why they miss the play offs and they'll fix it in the draft.

And it wouldn't be any fun if we didn't haze each other, Squeeler!

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Every time I see the name "Matt Canada" I instantly think about the story of Michael Vick and his alias and whatever STD he was giving chicks - but I can't remember what his alias was!? Ron Mexico? 

Lol. It was definitely Ron Mexico. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jax said:

Sounds like Vagi is developing Browns optimism before the season starts, wait until he comes up with excuses why they miss the play offs and they'll fix it in the draft.

And it wouldn't be any fun if we didn't haze each other, Squeeler!

Oh I’m almost always optimistic leading into the season but this season I’m probably the most because of our draft and all the off season moves to fill holes. I won’t be making excuses. Matt Canada is the only area that concerns me. 

13 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Well there you go. Ben had pure talent.  Having to "work your ass off" because he isn't as talented as other QB's wouldn't inspire me. 

But then again, I'm not saying Pickett isn't going to be good.  He does scare me a little. Look at his eyes. He has the "it" factor.

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

That may not be permanent though.

Kind of senseless arguing potential. Just like Vagitron doesn’t want hear Watson’s potential with a full season under his belt and a better collection of talent. 

I’m not gonna be a complete homer Pickett is 1-0 against the Browns. 

He’s apparently working hard.  I guess I assume that’s the way a second year player trying to make his mark in the League would conduct offseason workouts and give the appropriate attention to his craft 

I guess I don’t buy the Ben didn’t work hard element either.  He was probably more work hard play hard than most…remember he started as a game manager early in his career…my how that changed quickly and he had sadly for Browns fan a Hall of Fame career