THE BROWNS BOARD

Juan Thornhill talks about negativity from the press and fan's in Cleveland

syd

Just now, Flugel said:

Tell you what Nicks, I'll even buy him a blow-torch so he can light all the right fannies!    

I expect not much out of Kevvy... I just hope for less of his redundancy this season... But I'm not holdin my breath...

On 6/25/2023 at 10:47 AM, nickers said:

I expect not much out of Kevvy... I just hope for less of his redundancy this season... But I'm not holdin my breath...

I thought the same thing in 2020 and the Browns finished 11-5.  This time, he has better Special Teams and Defensive Coordinators.  However, the AFC North seems a lot stronger than it was while the Browns have a very tough schedule. It's going to be interesting to see how that shows up in wins and losses.  

1 thing that gets lost in the bigger picture is that players answer to their position coaches and coordinators 1st. They also tend to respond to the veteran leaders in their groups (ie: when a guy like Joel Bitonio or Jack Conklin has something to say - it has a way of resonating to the younger guys).  Another example was when Joe Thomas was a rookie - he had the veteran Eric Steinbach right next to him as a calming and savvy influence.  

I say all that to say I think our veteran leaders (including a retired one now Coordinating our STs) will have this team plenty motivated and I dare say very confident in what they're doing.  And why?  They will be well prepared even with something as easy as fielding 11 guys instead of 12 when someone is attempting to punt the ball to us on 4th and 4.

As for the play-calling - I'm more worried about the design of the offense and the passing game in particular.  The more sound that is - the easier the play calling becomes.  I still go back to the 1 freeze framed replay where 4 receivers all stopped their straight ahead routes the same distance downfield  (like a straight line across equidistant apart); and freakin stood there (with DBs ecstatic how easy such a design made their lives at the moment). That said, our offense averaged about 24 points a game with a back-up QB if memory serves me right.  I think we can all agree our defense was the bigger problem to the extent if they played any D at all vrs the Jets (final 2-3 minutes) or Atlanta or others - this team could have won 9 or 10 games.  This offseason addressed a lot of the personnel that needed to be upgraded and position groups that needed more depth.

I'm more confident in the group of players and coaches we have this year than the ones we had last year.  Let's see what happens before we auto-default to pessimism.  

• Upvote 1