THE BROWNS BOARD

🏈 Preseason Game 1: Jets at Browns Aug 3. 🏈 and GO BROWNS !

Dutch Oven

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep. And there are several "oldsters" who seem history to me by real game day one. Schwartz (aversion to the ball), MondΒ  (he'll land elsewhere that wants a pocket passer), Togiai and maybe Elliot.

Togiai played very well last night.Β  I'm curious as to what you saw that makes you say hes history?

I think Mond's NFL days are numbered.Β  It's not the arm, it's his processor.Β  The difference between DTR and him looks night and day.

I didn't think Mond looked horrible or anything - but I think you have a little UTAM loyalty clouding your judgment about him.Β  I do that too Aggies!

If you're gonna be a pocket passer, you can't be late or you're wrong.Β  Brady Quinn wasn't stupid (ie: 4.0 GPA at ND); but he couldn't process at the speed of the NFL game.Β Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I think Mond's NFL days are numbered.Β  It's not the arm, it's his processor.Β  The difference between DTR and him looks night and day.

I didn't think Mond looked horrible or anything - but I think you have a little UTAM loyalty clouding your judgment about him.Β  I do that too Aggies!

If you're gonna be a pocket passer, you can't be late or you're wrong.Β  Brady Quinn wasn't stupid (ie: 4.0 GPA at ND); but he couldn't process at the speed of the NFL game.Β Β 

Mond looks shell shocked after every negative play... He's just not leader material...

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The reason many of us drink starts a new.

🏈     Oh YES !   "Are you ready for some football " ?   August 3rd, 2023.

🀣 Sorry I missed this yesterday while watching the game and an 87 year old woman with Alzheimers. I gotta start dating younger hotties.  Just kidding, that's my mother-in-law.  Telepathic interception: knock it off Nickers!  

Yeah, I used to think if I drank the depressants while watching the depressants - it would provide the type of positive solution that giving a hyperactive kid Ritalin/Speed does. WRONG!

Β 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Mond's processing yesterday at face value alarmingly slow. It felt like he was walking in mud just to get the ball out, even on screens. I suppose it could be worse at face value to put him on PS (assuming he can be, I always get so confused on those rules), but DTR should absolutely be the emergency 3rd QB dressed with the new rule.

A few random thoughts-

I hope they are considering bringing in some kicking competition. York seemingly has the yips-even the extra points look shaky. Succop is still out there, could be a good motivator to say the least.

I've always thought Kelly looked good in the limited chances he got- really goes to show how good Stump is to any RB that walks in the building

Schwartz experiment is done- dude should honestly be in the first round of cuts at this point. With hopefully Grant and/or Goodwin being available, the only very small thing he brings to the table isn't needed. The fact he's even made it to year 3 is interesting with how bad he looks out there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was impressed with our defensive line. Β At first glance the Jets have some veteran depth (and a pretty decent rookie Center) on the OL that played a lot last night- we seemingly controlled the line of scrimmage and the success they had (little) was bouncing runs.

DTR has very good pocket awareness. Β Looks like he has capable arm strength. Β Definitely has a long NFL career ahead of him whether that ceiling is a 1 or quality 2 who knows.Β 
Β 

How many more Schwartz end arounds - that are blocked well - do we have to go through?Β 
Β 

Don’t recall the name but I thought we had a depth TE that made a couple nice catches.

I don’t see Kelly and Felton both making the 53…but one is probably a better fit for our run scheme and the other is used correctly about 10-20% of the time.

Aside from burnt toast in the first quarter- I couldn’t pick out hardly any flaws in our secondary and we had some guys that I didn’t know were on the roster playing a lot. We dropped a couple INTs- we were around the ball all night. Maybe McAllister was a little handsy (looked like the contact came as the ball was around the WRs hands. Β 

Be patient with York.

Β 

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Togiai played very well last night.Β  I'm curious as to what you saw that makes you say hes history?

I'm not limiting myself to last night against 2nd/3rd stringers. It's primarily based on last year being pushed all over the place when in the game. We have far better replacements added to the team this year, so PS is most likely.

6 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Turns out Dawand Jones went the entire game at RT ; Hudson went the entire game at LT; i think Wypler went the entire game at C.Β Our future starters?

it sure would be nice to save some money being spent on the o-line, Pocic can play guardΒ 

17 minutes ago, syd said:

it sure would be nice to save some money being spent on the o-line, Pocic can play guardΒ 

We may need to keep Myles and Chubb happy next offseason. Β A decision has to be made about Cooper or bringing in his replacement. Β Watson’s contract really kicks in and we likely have to make a choice between Joel and Wyatt. Β It might be imperative that Jones and Wypler develop quickly into starters.Β 
Β 

Keep an eye on Newsome, Emerson and Ward…I think the likely scenario is one of them will not here in 2024 and I wouldn’t be surprised if the most expensive one is traded away.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Pocic's contract means he'll be a post-June-1 cut before either the 2024 or 2025 season.Β  Even 2024 is still a reasonable number [3.98] but the dead is only 1.98 for both years if he's cut and wypler starts.

we could save alot of money here

ike GarafoloΒ of NFL Network reported Teller and Cleveland agreed to a four-year contract extension, whileΒ Tom PelisseroΒ of NFL Network noted it is worth $56.8 million. According toΒ Kimberley A. MartinΒ of ESPN, the new deal features $28 million in guaranteed money.

Mary Kay CabotΒ of Cleveland.com noted the $14.2 million a year contract makes the Virginia Tech product the second-highest paid guard in the NFL on an annual basis.

Wyatt TellerΒ -- Something's happening because no guaranteed salary after 2023. And this is a pretty genius roster and contract construction by Berry presuming replacement(s) can/will be ready.

2024 post-june-1-cut -- 2.9 dead // 6.4 cap saving

2025 post-june-1-cut -- 2.9 dead // 9.2 cap saving

2026 post-june-1-cut -- 1.8 dead // 13.2 cap saving

Β 

Here's hoping Callahan gets a raise as well..

My takes from Tom Benson Stadium last night:

1) The loudest cheer was for Joe Thomas coming onto the field (gave me goosebumps).

2) I can’t believe Anthony Schwartz is still taking up a roster spot.

3) Dawand Jones is a very large man, I like the pick.

4) The stadium lights went out for awhile at the start of the 4th quarter. It’s an NFL game and it seems like a minor league screw up on someone’s part.

5) Traffic was terrible getting out of such a small venue.

Overall, it was a good experience, and the biggest reason I went was to see JT represent the CLE. He didn’t disappoint.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

My takes from Tom Benson Stadium last night:

1) The loudest cheer was for Joe Thomas coming onto the field (gave me goosebumps).

2) I can’t believe Anthony Schwartz is still taking up a roster spot.

3) Dawand Jones is a very large man, I like the pick.

4) The stadium lights went out for awhile at the start of the 4th quarter. It’s an NFL game and it seems like a minor league screw up on someone’s part.

5) Traffic was terrible getting out of such a small venue.

Overall, it was a good experience, and the biggest reason I went was to see JT represent the CLE. He didn’t disappoint.

you staying through the weekend ?

On 8/4/2023 at 10:50 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm not limiting myself to last night against 2nd/3rd stringers. It's primarily based on last year being pushed all over the place when in the game. We have far better replacements added to the team this year, so PS is most likely.

Your previous comment seemed to indicate you were ready to say bye to guys based off of their play last night and 3 out of the 4 definitely didn't play well so you can see why i would come to the conclusion you were also stating togiai played poorly.

4 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Your previous comment seemed to indicate you were ready to say bye to guys based off of their play last night and 3 out of the 4 definitely didn't play well so you can see why i would come to the conclusion you were also stating togiai played poorly.

For him it is the lack of room on the roster now, but I can see why you made the connection. He would have to play lights out to be retained IMO. Hope he can but I don't expect it when they get further into starters to go against.

8 hours ago, syd said:

my bad,i meant for the festivities ?

No, I used to volunteer for the HOF and I’ve met some great people while working there.

However, through the years I got tired of all the hoopla and I’m only interested in the game itself.

I was really interested this year beacause of Joe being inducted.

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

No, I used to volunteer for the HOF and I’ve met some great people while working there.

However, through the years I got tired of all the hoopla and I’m only interested in the game itself.

I was really interested this year beacause of Joe being inducted.

honestly it brought a tear to my eye

On 8/3/2023 at 10:56 PM, nickers said:

no 1 and 2 QB's sat this one out

Yes, because they are both so good. Who needs real time practice? I mean, Watson was on fire last year.

"You don't want to lose your QB before the season"

Yes, it is better that he gets fucked up in game one because his confusion has him holding on to the ball too long.

Sorry, at $1/4 billion, if I am king, the motherfucker is going to start now if he expects to start in week 1.

Β 

Hey, why not let all of us fucktards start and rest the entire team?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Yes, because they are both so good. Who needs real time practice? I mean, Watson was on fire last year.

"You don't want to lose your QB before the season"

Yes, it is better that he gets fucked up in game one because his confusion has him holding on to the ball too long.

Sorry, at $1/4 billion, if I am king, the motherfucker is going to start now if he expects to start in week 1.

Β 

Hey, why not let all of us fucktards start and rest the entire team?

Watson gonna start friday vs washington