THE BROWNS BOARD

🏈 Preseason Game 1: Jets at Browns Aug 3. 🏈 and GO BROWNS !

Dutch Oven

8 minutes ago, 5150k9 said:

I'm a left coast guy, but am a true Browns fan. I can tell you DTR is the real deal. He may not be a HOF'r but he's got skills.

I have never seen him play until tonight. He looks great against backups. You are probably right.

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

Defense looks fast and organized 

It doesn't look confused and out of position like shitty Joe Woods Defense

CLE 21  NYJ  16  ..... and can the BROWNS  stall this thing out to win it ?    (Down time not included. )

4 minutes ago, Browns57 said:

How did they not call that PI at the 1 yard line? Browns got lucky.

But hey ..... for once it went the BROWNS way.  Chalk it up CLE 1-0 in 2023 !

small glimpse into, a Jim Schwartz lead defense, catching up to the Jets offense too.. 

The Good Guys Win !

I'm off to Canton.. Read ya Monday.. 

They're all Good Wins, in Browns Merica ! 💪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickers said:

DTR needs the reps more than Mond...

LOL worried about a 3rd string QB ? possible practice squad ? hey nickers we still have a joint practice with the eagles and 3 more pre season games. give it a rest. 

10 minutes ago, syd said:

LOL worried about a 3rd string QB ? possible practice squad ? hey nickers we still have a joint practice with the eagles and 3 more pre season games. give it a rest. 

🖕

1 minute ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I was otherwise engaged, but did Watson not play?

no 1 and 2 QB's sat this one out

30 minutes ago, Neo said:

DTR looked better than Mond. Hoping to see more. I just hope DTR isn't another D'Earnest Johnson, very good player that never sees the field. 

I’m  in California and a Ucla fan,  I watched a lot of DTR. The kid can bring it and when told he couldn’t, he rose to the occasion. I know the NFL is much different but I would really enjoy him to thrive. He’s got the skill set.

• mjp28 pinned this topic
6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Jesus Schwartz.

He's just not a football player. 

Is this where his parents come and get him and explain how flag football is just as much fun as big boy tackle football  ..... and he cries and gets in the car and they go to DQ  ..... and we BROWNS fans avoid another week of him trying to do it all over again. 

Really now will he ever become an exciting NFL player to watch  - or -   do we het another week of Jesus Schwartz trying again and again of ooohs and OH-NOs  and UH-OHs on the field.    Well I hope that's the   biggest   problem that the BROWNS have do deal with going into week  P2  .......  oh,  uh-oh  the kicking game ?

You don't want to play a good   59:57  and have 00:03 left  and your kicker pull a  D'OH !      (well maybe not exactly this kicker moment in kicker memories) image.png.384c093e2a15c598099c41025b6346ea.png

Some quick thoughts this (super) early AM, before I head out for laps.

- You sometimes forget how massive of a human being Dawand Jones is.  But he makes big people look.... not big.

- Jordan Elliot getting snaps as late as he did means he's the 1st on the bubble.   And since TT outplayed him at the 3 tech, I still stand pretty firm thinking he might be the odd man out if one of Hill or Mo make it healthy.   

- Togiai also played nicely at the 3 tech.   You can tell he's settling into his NFL abilities, so it appears he's worked the most on his first step twitch and snap reaction.   Because he had a few pressures on pass rush snaps.   Either way, seeing him and Elliot play that late into a HoF, despite being previous years starters, pretty much summarizes and vindicates my assessment of the bulk of last years problems with this defense.   I'd say it's more obvious than ever where the weaknesses lie(d)

- Schwartz is proof why drop rates and footwork are so important when evaluating receivers that lack elite physical prowess.  His days are even more numbered than previously.

- Tony Fields has a future with this team.  Nice to see him fly around.  Though we still lack good LB's left to right.

- DTR is fun to watch, even with his sporadic ball placement at times.  That block he threw will win him over in the locker room.  

- Alex Wright getting snaps along the interior on expected pass rush downs.   Color me SHOCKED (pink font?)

- Ika appeared to acquit himself rather nicely.  Jets seemed content to attack the edges when the interior stuff wasn't working.  He absolutely blew up that late Tony Dye run.  Speaking of...

- Since DB's can't cut on the edge anymore, it's so incredibly vital that our boys outside hold that spot firmly.  Part of the reason you see so many players in those positions with the wingspan they have.    On that first TD run, McGuire found himself getting sucked to the inside shoulder and then over-estimating his ability to recover the edge.

- Chazz Surratt, I wondered where he ended up at after UNC.  Dude had some wheels at LB and I had a favorable impression of him coming out of college.  That pick he had against Mond was pretty damn good.   Looks like home boy put on some weight because he was parked at a true MIKE for that one, read the split and flew under the lane.  Have to appreciate quality defense at all times.

- John Kelly (JKJ from here out) is like D'Earnest, IMHO. At least, in the sense of the production we could get out of him.  I think the dude would rush for 1000 yards behind this line if he got the touches.  Either way he's the 3rd RB and I'm more than comfortable with that.  The line and RB play is a direct testament to coach Stump and Callahan.  We're very blessed to have them in CLE.

- Ceddy getting early work is promising.  He'll find his way into this starting receiver group sooner rather than later.  

- Watkins had a nice route from that backside tare for the TD.    Really got the CB to flip his hips before his stab and drive back to the inside.   Reminded me of Santonio Holmes vs Marlin Jackson in 04'.

Nice to see the good guys come back and win.  For Joe Thomas, the fans, being a home game and the first game of any sort to the 2023 season especially.   Let's hope there are some good omens here.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Browns57 said:

I have never seen him play until tonight. He looks great against backups. You are probably right.

True; but to play against backups you have to be playing with backups.  IMO, that evens all that stuff out.  During his last year at UCLA, he had a 70% completion rate. He started off by completing 7 of his 1st 10 passes yesterday.

I had a very positive 1st impression of him...

7 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Key word in that sentence is "organized."  Stupid question - wasn't that refreshing?

Yep. And there are several "oldsters" who seem history to me by real game day one. Schwartz (aversion to the ball), Mond  (he'll land elsewhere that wants a pocket passer), Togiai and maybe Elliot.

15 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

They are utilizing Felton better in the second half.  He was never and still isn’t a between the tackles grinder…keep it to the screen and pitch game 

They've probably misused him frequently (while some of his bad habits didn't help) like the Browns misused Metcalf - until tonight.  That UCLA chemistry looked magic for him.  I'll bet Stump Mitchell has been on him to hit the daylight instead of negotiate it by dancing. I see some degree in coaching in this with the old "if you want to make the team" reminders.  When he does hit it - he's 10-15 yards downfield at the blink of an eye.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

If I read a story that when Aaron Rodgers goes to restaurants the staff is informed that they are not to speak to, or even look at Aaron Rodgers while he is there I would totally believe it. 

I think a lot of his former girlfriends that had similar experiences would agree with this statement.  That's why his new matchmaker paired him up with "Sauce."