THE BROWNS BOARD

Manziel doc

Dutch Oven

For Browns fans feeling nostalgic for the good ol’ days of next-level drama, Netflix will have you covered on Aug. 8.

Johnny Manziel never came close to realizing any NFL potential and cultivated a reputation as being a party boy who didn’t take the game seriously despite the fact the Browns gave him every opportunity to succeed

The streamer will release “Untold: Johnny Football" on Aug. 8. The documentary is on the world of Johnny Manziel as he went from college quarterback phenom at Texas A&M to NFL megabust with the Browns.

• Upvote 1

• Dutch Oven changed the title to If You Didn't Enjoy Him Enough The First Time, You're In Luck!

Hard pass.

Haslam's worst mistake ever. Look what happened after this....

• Browns went from 6-3, in 1st place, to 7-9
  • Ray Farmer, yikes
  • Kyle Shanahan walked away
  • Hue came along (3-36-1)

I hated the pick before it happened. No way I'm wasting time on that a$$hole

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

For Browns fans feeling nostalgic for the good ol’ days of next-level drama, Netflix will have you covered on Aug. 8.

Johnny Manziel never came close to realizing any NFL potential and cultivated a reputation as being a party boy who didn’t take the game seriously despite the fact the Browns gave him every opportunity to succeed

The streamer will release “Untold: Johnny Football" on Aug. 8. The documentary is on the world of Johnny Manziel as he went from college quarterback phenom at Texas A&M to NFL megabust with the Browns.

Been there… done that train wreck before…I can’t.

Not to steal your thunder there is another series on Netflix “Quarterback”.  We all get to see competent QB play.

Update: I watched two episodes…it ain’t that good 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

I'd rather watch him giving Nick Saban ulcers in college back when football was as fun as partying.  

And watching Bob Stoops jumping up and down in frustration on the sidelines as JFF ran past him for yet another long first down plus 20 yards when OU got tromped by him in the Cotton Bowl 41-13. That Heisman year he set the SEC all-time running/passing yardage mark and showed the Sooners & the Stoops brothers how it all worked.🤠

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That Heisman year he set the SEC all-time running/passing yardage mark and showed the Sooners & the Stoops brothers how it all worked.🤠

Yeah, but that didn't work too well in the NFL...where half the defense was as fast if not faster than he was.  He was a spoiled little boy playing a man's game in the NFL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Yeah, but that didn't work too well in the NFL...where half the defense was as fast if not faster than he was.  He was a spoiled little boy playing a man's game in the NFL.

True.  On top of that, when a QB doesn't study the playbook or put any time in preparing for opponents - we're looking at a deer in the headlights running at the speed of park. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

On top of that, when a QB doesn't study

Yup.  He was the last to arrive and the first to leave.  They paid Bill Parcells a pile of money to evaluate the QB's coming out...and he said not to draft Manziel.  But Haslem, the marketing man, wanted glitz.  Jimmuh is a huge part of the reason(s) that we sucked for so long.  Shannahan was smart to walk out on us.  And that told the football world to stay away from Cleveland.  It was a horrible time in our history.  Somehow, we've been making some progress...in spite of still having our terrible ownership.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Orion said:

I even said at that time he declared for the draft that he was not mature enough to come out yet and that he should stay two more years. If I'd known he had a substance abuse problem I would have added in attending a program as well. He actually did have enough talent to make it if he was straight and worked hard with coaches. But............................................

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I even said at that time he declared for the draft that he was not mature enough to come out yet and that he should stay two more years. If I'd known he had a substance abuse problem I would have added in attending a program as well. He actually did have enough talent to make it if he was straight and worked hard with coaches. But............................................

I remembered tasting my Nikes with "yeah, there's been other party animals at QB that ultimately made the decision to prioritize their football career above the partying (ie: Brett Favre and Jim Kelly).  Manziel will prolly do that too!"    A former teammate/good friend of mine (Tom Kehoe) used to bounce at one of the bars adjacent to his college Buffalo State. He was huge Bills fan that said Kelly used stay out late (long past sober) until the bar closed at 4:00 AM frequently on Fridays and Saturdays the weekends Buffalo played at home in his 1st and 2nd seasons there.  Yeah, bars actually closed at 4 AM in Buffalo - what could go wrong?  I think right about the time Buffalo went from the Bickering Bills up until Clay Matthews intercepted Jim Kelly at the 2 yard line to preserve a playoff W for Cleveland - became the point where Kelly's passion had him ready to run an unstoppable "no huddle offense" from there on out.  It actually started in that playoff game in Cleveland, lucky for us Metcalf returned a kickoff late in the game before "Big Play Clay" closed the deal. 

I think everybody read or heard about Favre drinking and sleeping through his rookie year in Atlanta.  Ty Detmer said when Favre got to GB he asked "hey Ty, what the hell is a Nickel?"  It didn't take long to see he was in the perfect place for a second chance.  The NFL has a pretty short window that tends to slam shut on QBs that don't have the passion.  Not only that, Orion reminded us the NFL has a ton of productive defensive players that are quicker/faster than Manziel so the improvise that was easy in college was no longer something he could count on in the NFL.  

• Thanks 1

I'll post the video if I find it, but I remember a Gruden QB camp episode with Johnny.  Now that shit is all softball stuff for entertainment, but there was a play structure A&M used from 2012 and 2013 where Gruden asked why he didn't (if I recall verbatim) "throw the damn under!!"...    That's your 2nd season running the same offenses and you haven't improved one bit in the ways you should have to become an NFL QB.    That means only 2 things - either you're incapable, or you're unwilling.   Either one scratches you off in my book.   

That having been said - Whiny, entitled and spoiled daddy's boy that came from Texas oil money who partied so damn hard from his early teens he was able to parlay that into a mental diagnosis somehow and we should give him sympathy.    Keep in mind, I was a hooligan kid doing shit 21 year olds do while I was 16.   Johnny still puts me to shame, mostly because we grew up without much money and his family was loaded.  So instead of weekends in Vegas doing blow, we had to get jobs, do beer math between rolling rock and natty and still bust our ass on the football field.

Zero fucking respect for spoiled rich kids.   So fuck him, his parents,  everybody who thought he'd be good in the NFL AND the horse he rode in on.    

Mike Evans and an NFL loaded Oline should have been given that Heisman.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Billy Manziel's dad was interviewed before the draft and told the world that his son drank to self-medicate.

We still used a first round pick on him. 

Then when it blew up in our faces, we were forced to tank for a few years to get a ton of draft picks, and position ourselves to get a real franchise QB...

Which we swung and missed on, again... so we then gave up a ton of draft picks to get a QB who is an absolute PR nightmare.

The adventure of being a Browns fan never ends! 🤪

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Zero fucking respect for spoiled rich kids.   So fuck him, his parents,  everybody who thought he'd be good in the NFL AND the horse he rode in on.    

Mike Evans and an NFL loaded Oline should have been given that Heisman.

Yeah but daddy made him drive a second hand Mercedes on campus😪. You know, a hand me down like we used to wear as kids. LOL!

Evans was great because they both red-shirted together and terrorized the starting team playing "scout team". That gave them both a chance to develop that connection since Evans was new to football coming from basketball. But if you watched his games, Evans was not the only one he was able to find downfield, just the most spectacular when he did.

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yeah but daddy made him drive a second hand Mercedes on campus😪. You know, a hand me down like we used to wear as kids. LOL!

Evans was great because they both red-shirted together and terrorized the starting team playing "scout team". That gave them both a chance to develop that connection since Evans was new to football coming from basketball. But if you watched his games, Evans was not the only one he was able to find downfield, just the most spectacular when he did.

Mike Evans' backstory is kind of crazy...

His father was abusive towards his mother, and his mother's brother (Mike's uncle) ended up shooting and killing his father. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2023 at 10:36 PM, Orion said:

I lived it........and don't wanna re-live it.  

This ^^^ 

Hoyer & McCown could still out play this 4 season QB 💩'show  

2014 Brian Hoyer (13) / Johnny Manziel (2) / Connor Shaw (1)
2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)
2016 Cody Kessler (8) / Robert Griffin III (5) / Josh McCown (3)
2017 DeShone Kizer (15) / Kevin Hogan (1)

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But if you watched his games

Watched Every. Single. Game.

Including all the ones from 2012 where he went 1-2 against top 25 defenses.  

And in 2013 where he went 0-2 against top 25, and split the difference 1-1 against top 50.

I said what I said.  Good day, sir.  

26 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Watched Every. Single. Game.

Including all the ones from 2012 where he went 1-2 against top 25 defenses.  

And in 2013 where he went 0-2 against top 25, and split the difference 1-1 against top 50.

I said what I said.  Good day, sir.  

OK, but you are discounting several other receivers in the process. Yep, I agree Evans was and is a great one. JFF smartly counted on his ability to go up like a basketball strong forward and high point the ball away from often times multiple defenders. But Swope was the key receiver along with Kennedy in the win over Bama, that top 25 defense you credit as his only win over one of them.

• Haha 1

Interest in this show is zero.

A simple case of the passion for having fun and partying greatly out shadowed any passion for the love of playing the game of football and dedicating oneself to the craft of playing QB with no sight of growing up.  Reminds you of Ryan Leaf who would actually have a more interesting untold story….and he’s on his third chance. 

And Mike Evans was and still is one of the most underrated football players today. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

OK, but you are discounting several other receivers in the process. Yep, I agree Evans was and is a great one. JFF smartly counted on his ability to go up like a basketball strong forward and high point the ball away from often times multiple defenders. But Swope was the key receiver along with Kennedy in the win over Bama, that top 25 defense you credit as his only win over one of them.

That's true Aggies. Ryan Swope was a really good WR at A&M.  As a junior he had 89 receptions for 1207 yards and 11 TDs.  During Swope's senior year it decreased to 72 receptions for 913 yards and 8 TDs; because Freshman Mike Evans took on a big load with 82 receptions for 1105 yards and 5 TDs.  Not bad at all!  1 year later, the 6'0" 205lb WR prospect ran a 4.34 at the Indy Combine. This kid probably would have been a very productive NFL WR if his volume of concussions at TAMU (4) didn't force him to retire as an NFL Rookie.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Going to use this reply as a bookmark because I've been so damn busy and I don't want to forget.  But I have volumes of information just running through my head that I need to put screenshots to. Stuff ranging from how Sumlin structures his offense in the running game, to how an X like Evans makes all of that tick and designs that Swope was used on against Bama.    I remember watching not only that game, but the SEC opener against Florida.  

I also remember, apart from a broken play, that the majority of Swopes catches were on bubbles against overhang defenders for VERY short yardage, basically an extension of the running game. 

Fear not, I shall return. 

21 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Going to use this reply as a bookmark because I've been so damn busy and I don't want to forget.  But I have volumes of information just running through my head that I need to put screenshots to. Stuff ranging from how Sumlin structures his offense in the running game, to how an X like Evans makes all of that tick and designs that Swope was used on against Bama.    I remember watching not only that game, but the SEC opener against Florida.  

I also remember, apart from a broken play, that the majority of Swopes catches were on bubbles against overhang defenders for VERY short yardage, basically an extension of the running game. 

Fear not, I shall return. 

Here's what I saw that day when #25 Ryan Swope was the only A&M Receiver downfield that jumped off the screen at me.  Yes, the TD in the 1st quarter is from a broken play (but that's not exactly a negative).  Just click on the link below and the quick video shows Swope was making more catches downfield than you gave him credit for (check the 2nd half in particular).  WARNING: a few times it looks like the video is ending but it continues and gives you the opportunity to click skip ads to get right back to the game. I think this cut out 1 nice seam route reception by Swope on the right hash in the 3rd quarter that you can see if you go to youtube directly (where it doesn't chop up the video and remove parts like the link seemed to).

1 guy from that game we're pretty happy about today  is Amari Cooper. He also makes some nice catches inclusive of a long TD reception in this game.  I don't think you'll find ANY of us will disagree that Manziel was a horrible pick.  Unfortunately, my last 2 brain cells were in a "War of the Roses" conflict with the pre-draft wisdom on Manziel.

https://youtu.be/UYaMmU1effM

Edited by Flugel

On 7/15/2023 at 3:30 PM, Orion said:

Maybe so, but he was still good in college..

His problem is he never took things seriously.  Johnny is always going to be a frat boy.  He made a lot of money.  His family has a lot of money, so he can afford to be a frat boy all his life.  I am sure a lot of us would have opted for that route if it was possible.

To another comment, I agree, that Netflix QB special isn't that special.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Maybe so, but he was still good in college..

His problem is he never took things seriously.  Johnny is always going to be a frat boy.  He made a lot of money.  His family has a lot of money, so he can afford to be a frat boy all his life.  I am sure a lot of us would have opted for that route if it was possible.

To another comment, I agree, that Netflix QB special isn't that special.

yse, he was. He had a great cast around him, and he made things happen. In the military and college - I knew kids that weren't ready to be on their own. No principles, no moral guide - a few here and there were just self-destructive - that was J.M. - I don't like remembering him again. lol

37 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

yse, he was. He had a great cast around him, and he made things happen. In the military and college - I knew kids that weren't ready to be on their own. No principles, no moral guide - a few here and there were just self-destructive - that was J.M. - I don't like remembering him again. lol

Still trying to have amnesia on that pick... Jesus!

10 hours ago, ballpeen said:

but he was still good in college..

That and a quarter will get ya a phone call.

He was a Fran Tarkenton in college.  And with the athletes we have on modern NFL defenses Fran wouldn't realize the same success today.  Unless he stayed in college his whole career.   That's what I think anyway.

• 3 weeks later...