THE BROWNS BOARD

Manziel doc

Dutch Oven

I lied. I watched it.

His Dad is a misguided turd. Blaming his coaches for their lack of guidance with Johnny and his behavior.  Not making an excuse but He didn’t have a shot. 

And The Browns workout….what a clown show…no WRs and his lawyer and agent running routes!!!  His agent got him paid.

Let me add…grandfather cleaning money for him in college…just wow 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I lied. I watched it.

His Dad is a misguided turd. Blaming his coaches for their lack of guidance with Johnny and his behavior.  Not making an excuse but He didn’t have a shot. 

And The Browns workout….what a clown show…no WRs and his lawyer and agent running routes!!!  His agent got him paid.

Let me add…grandfather cleaning money for him in college…just wow 

Didn't bother watching... An utter embarrassment... He can drown in a vat of shit as far as I'm concerned...

5 hours ago, tinythinker said:

Well, the one thing everyone is shaking there head at now that the documentary is out is, shock, he spent zero time watching film.  Apparently it got dark as well.

If nothing else, the documentary might get some publicity for the new bar he is opening in College Station.

And NO ONE saw this coming? I don't know whats scarier, the fact that we drafted him, or everyone in the Browns organization never saw this coming!

• Upvote 2

• alporcini changed the title to Manziel doc
4 hours ago, Neo said:

And NO ONE saw this coming? I don't know whats scarier, the fact that we drafted him, or everyone in the Browns organization never saw this coming!

His own father was quoted before the draft telling the world that he drank to self-medicate. 

So apparently his dad saw it coming. 

5 hours ago, alporcini said:

Anybody else watch the Netflix documentary?

Whatta shitty human being. 

On this one Al, I just have to let a bad memory die.   There's another thread where they are discussing this a little bit called "If You Didn't Enjoy Him Enough The First Time, You're In Luck..."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

On this one Al, I just have to let a bad memory die.   There's another thread where they are discussing this a little bit called "If You Didn't Enjoy Him Enough The First Time, You're In Luck..."

You mean like the car wreck  -or-  worse yet train wreck where you promise  not to look .... but you can't help it and sneak a quick glance ?    Oh no, too late you did anyway.

And now you're stuck with it on your memory.  And we have Johnny bleepin  football to thanks for that.    :o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

You mean like the car wreck  -or-  worse yet train wreck where you promise  not to look .... but you can't help it and sneak a quick glance ?    Oh no, too late you did anyway.

And now you're stuck with it on your memory.  And we have Johnny bleepin  football to thanks for that.    :o

I think I’m guilty of the train wreck comment.  I know one thing….Ray Farmer will never sniff a GM job again 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think I’m guilty of the train wreck comment.  I know one thing….Ray Farmer will never sniff a GM job again 

Now, now, now! Everybody knows the Manziel pick came from the homeless guy on the street, not the GM.🤗

Eh, maybe it's the old man and father in me but I don't have the disdain for Johnny Football like some others have. Honestly, I have way, way more contempt for the clowns in the organization who drafted him despite overtly obvious red flags. I was the poor kid in private school and have seen a bunch of guys go crazy in their college years like Johnny did. Sympathy isn't the right word, for sure, but I also through my "adult" lens can realize it was just bad/apathetic parents and a cry for help. Give folks like that a lot of money and fame? Recipe for disaster.

I really don't have the inclination to watch this, but people can change and hopefully Manziel has.

4 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Eh, maybe it's the old man and father in me but I don't have the disdain for Johnny Football like some others have. Honestly, I have way, way more contempt for the clowns in the organization who drafted him despite overtly obvious red flags. I was the poor kid in private school and have seen a bunch of guys go crazy in their college years like Johnny did. Sympathy isn't the right word, for sure, but I also through my "adult" lens can realize it was just bad/apathetic parents and a cry for help. Give folks like that a lot of money and fame? Recipe for disaster.

I really don't have the inclination to watch this, but people can change and hopefully Manziel has.

I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

52 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

The documentary painted the picture of extreme Protection and Enablement from those around him with a financial interest. 

Coaches, University, Mother, Father, Grandfather.

How does more time at a university fix that? 

His Dad 10 years later blames the college coaches lol. 

• Like 1

So drafting Manziel was a "Haslam" thing, right? It makes me wonder if bringing Watson here was also a Haslam thing? I'm still a believer in Watson after what little I saw of him last season but what I'm saying is bringing Watson here strictly Haslam pulling rank of was it something the front office agreed to? That fully guaranteed contract suggests it's Haslam pulling rank. If that's true then he better be right on this otherwise he will be run out of town and rightfully so it Watson doesn't produce.

6 hours ago, Neo said:

So drafting Manziel was a "Haslam" thing, right? It makes me wonder if bringing Watson here was also a Haslam thing? I'm still a believer in Watson after what little I saw of him last season but what I'm saying is bringing Watson here strictly Haslam pulling rank of was it something the front office agreed to? That fully guaranteed contract suggests it's Haslam pulling rank. If that's true then he better be right on this otherwise he will be run out of town and rightfully so it Watson doesn't produce.

Haslam isn't getting run out of town if Watson doesn't play at a high level.

It will mean the Browns will have had a few more disappointing seasons to add to their impressive list post 1964. 

6 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

The documentary painted the picture of extreme Protection and Enablement from those around him with a financial interest. 

Coaches, University, Mother, Father, Grandfather.

How does more time at a university fix that? 

His Dad 10 years later blames the college coaches lol. 

I can't imagine how he wouldn't have got kicked out of college football if he would have stuck around College Station.

And his dad blaming the college coaches is a helluva lot easier than actually taking blame for it himself. You never got the impression his family was calling up the TAM coaching staff demanding that they be strict with him. 

I've seen a few people try to spin that Johnny talked shit about Cleveland but he didn't, he flat-out admits that he would have failed anywhere he went. 

His story is a classic "too much, too fast" situation. 

• Upvote 1

I can't imagine anything more embarrassing than drafting,  and committing to, Johnny Manziel. Lowest point of this franchise. And we had Kyle Shanahan as OC and Brian Hoyer at QB, and we could have broken even and hung tough for a couple years, but we committed to this idiot and then went 1-31 after he left.

I've been a Browns fan since I was 4 years old, and Manziel was the worst Cleveland Brown of all time. I hate him..

And yes, I met him, the night before a game, hammered beyond belief in the hotel lobby with his then girlfriend trying to check him into his room.

That was the Kick Six MNF game the Ravens won in overtime after McCown got injured and Austin Davis tried to finish while hungover Johnny held the clipboard.

Z

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

His family is a wonky factor as well. There's pretty good reporting out there, albeit never confirmed, that the family "wealth" was greatly exaggerated. In fact, if you believe said reporting the reported wealth was a ruse to lower questions on Manziel taking payments for autographs and the like. It could also be the reason he went pro early, as I don't disagree with you.

In any event, I would reiterate that my ire for that whole dumpster fire was the Browns organization. That draft was loaded with talent too.

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

In any event, I would reiterate that my ire for that whole dumpster fire was the Browns organization. That draft was loaded with talent too.

Yeah, we could have gotten ourselves quite a CB back in that draft, say around #8 overall?🤣

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2023 at 10:22 AM, jrb12711 said:

Bad/apathetic parents - definitely not in their eyes.  They felt entitled to the millions and millions of dollars that Johnny made for TAMU and the countless promotions and extensions the coaches received. 

Problem is if Johnny was born 10 years later in this time of the NCAA his parents are still pulling shenanigans like faking chest pains so Johnny isn’t held accountable for the Combine drug testing. 

I watched it last night very entertaining and not as painful as you'd think. The Browns segment was relatively short but instructive.
My takeaways:
The Browns organization was/is terrible. They should've walked out of the private workout, if a QB can't corral WRs for a workout then he has zero leadership skills.
Manziel actually had talent but became an entitled brat spoilt by his family not his coaches as his father claimed. Heck if you fake an illness to cover your son's benders and inability to perform at the combine don't blame anyone else.
You really need a strong organization around a budding star, Texas A&M didn't provide it. I think he would've fared much professionally under a Nick Saban. After becoming "Johnny Football" he was enabled by everyone, his OC Kliff Kingsbury admitted it on camera.
The sports media is fake news, no one did a fact check on Manziel being "Old Money" and I remember them reporting he was studying tape when he admitted to ZERO minutes of watching tape.
I remember the Merrill Hoge segment on him, Johnny realistically should've been drafted in the lower rounds and given time to see if he really wanted to play football.
His former agent deserves his own show, his antics were hilarious.

On 8/10/2023 at 3:15 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

He was already having his 'buds' piss in the cup for him at A&M.  He's a shitbird.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

He was already having his 'buds' piss in the cup for him at A&M.  He's a shitbird.

And hence my ending the last sentence with "if ever". The "help" should have included a stay in a substance abuse inpatient program with outpatient followup.

On 8/13/2023 at 7:16 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

And hence my ending the last sentence with "if ever". The "help" should have included a stay in a substance abuse inpatient program with outpatient followup.

I already watched him fuck up in real time.. Do we have to do it in slo mo too?

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 1:30 PM, Neo said:

na man I believe they came to jimmy and he wrote the check

• Upvote 1