THE BROWNS BOARD

Brady Quinn sucks and always has! Can we please put Derek Anderson back in.

joflockhart

For what it's worth, Reggie Rucker was just on WKNR talking about the Quinn pick. Reggie stated that the INT was squarely on BE. To paraphrase, Reggie said the sight adjustment against the coverage was the route that Quinn threw expecting BE to run and the correct one. BE adjusted his route again after the snap, which is a no no. While as some have said, the inside could have been 6, that isn't seen presnap and you can't adjust to that route after the snap. The reason is because the presnap read (the route Quinn expected BE to be running) requires the ball to be out before that inside read BE ran can be seen. Quinn is already letting the ball go by the time BE makes that move inside.

That was Reggie's take, for what it's worth.

no matter who's fault it was a pick is a pick...there are no asterisks next to the pick stats that say.."not the qb's fault...the receiver was responsible"

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no matter who's fault it was a pick is a pick...there are no asterisks next to the pick stats that say.."not the qb's fault...the receiver was responsible"

Yeah, and a vet like Delhomme threw 4 picks, next question?

This was his 4th career start vs one of the best defenses in the NFL people... Lets give the kid at least half a season before shitting on him.

This was his 4th career start vs one of the best defenses in the NFL people... Lets give the kid at least half a season before shitting on him.

I have no recollection of asking a question....I have said...give quinn 6 games worth of rope to hang himself..I think due to his play yesterday he now has about a foot of rope so far

Can we close this thread please, its foundation is built on manure

Sure, the foundation is built on manure, but the sentiment that Quinn looked like absolute dogshit yesterday is something I share.

Mechanics looked terrible, he looked skiddish (yes, the line was terrible so I don't blame him) and his arm did look weak. Don't know whether he or Daboll (pathetic playcalling, worse than Carthon) was to blame (I'd say both), but there is definitely cause for concern here.

Sure, the foundation is built on manure, but the sentiment that Quinn looked like absolute dogshit yesterday is something I share.

Mechanics looked terrible, he looked skiddish (yes, the line was terrible so I don't blame him) and his arm did look weak. Don't know whether he or Daboll (pathetic playcalling, worse than Carthon) was to blame (I'd say both), but there is definitely cause for concern here.

He looked Skiddish? Funny, I didn't know he was Jewish. I thought he was Irish.

Why? We (not me, but oh well) as fans didn't do that for DA.............Hell, we couldn't find the pitch forks and torches fast enough and kill our only QB in decades to make the pro-bowl. What's good for the goose, is good for the pretty boy.

Why? We (not me, but oh well) as fans didn't do that for DA.............Hell, we couldn't find the pitch forks and torches fast enough and kill our only QB in decades to make the pro-bowl. What's good for the goose, is good for the pretty boy.

No one was calling for DA's head after his 4th start jackass. That happened after he decided to forget how to play QB and toss pick 6's every game.

mz the pussy now is no time to fall of the BQ Fanwagon.

you make your bed, you lay in it.

I've praised and shat upon both Quinn and DA. As I'm sure you're quite aware of.

Decent try, though.

Like I said, for what it's worth.

Whatever gets you through the day. Nice unprovoked resort to name calling too.

I'll be sure to note that "jackass" makes your vagina sore so I don't mistakenly do it in the future.

In 42 years, I've found in life, that unintelligent people resort to yelling or name calling when they are confronted with a situation that they don't understand. Thank you for proving my experience right.

In 42 years, I've found in life, that unintelligent people resort to yelling or name calling when they are confronted with a situation that they don't understand. Thank you for proving my experience right.

In 42 years you should have also learned that unintelligent people resort to being big blubbering pussies on message boards, like yourself. And also that these same people tend to "take the high road" in response to getting their ass handed to them on said message board.

Take the Celine Dion CD out of the player, whip the tears from your eyes, and get the fuk over yourself.

Ok pissyfest over.

I like your attitude d-bone, I don't REALLY think you're a blubbering vagina. I just wanted to e-fight.

Thanks AdaM, that means a lot coming from you! I bet you forgot all about the Browns horrific play calling for a few minutes, eh?

Guest ATENEARS

How come every time there is a Natural Disaster somewhere, even so remote you never even heard of the place before, they always happen to be one of the US leading oil provider and gas prices immediately rise do to the crises?

On that same line, how come everytime someone's favorite QB shits the bed, it's against one of the NFL's best defenses?

For the record; the Minnesota Vikings were ranked 18th against the pass in 2008 ... the Cleveland Browns 14th.

This Brady Quinn's 5th career start, DA had how many starts 19 starts with better WR's

Give me a break, Im tired of the wimpy ass whining, you should be greatful that your QB

didn't throw up 5 int's which DA would of done. Go back and watch DA's reaction to the blitz in the Baltimore game in in 2008. That was pathetic.

Im sorry you bought a DA jersey and are not sold on buying a Quinn jersey yet.

Be thankful you have a better than average (rookie) QB and not some damn piece of shit that some of these teams are stuck with.

Brady Quinn C'MON MAN! Congrads Brady, you made the "C'mon MAN" segment of Monday Night Football :D

I didn't see it, was it for the fumble?

For the record; the Minnesota Vikings were ranked 18th against the pass in 2008 ... the Cleveland Browns 14th.

For the record, nobody had to pass on the Browns when they gave up 140 yds per game on the ground, and the Vikings gave up 70-ish per game, so teams had to throw. The Vikings are a strong defense to go against, just like Dallas last season in the opener. I'd rather not give Quinn a pass for his performance, but this isn;t him starting his 18th game like DA's last season. This is his 4th start.

When a kid in his 4th start looks like the guy in his 18th start, then I tend to want to see a little more before I say he cannot develop.

If he sucks he sucks, but I am going to give him until the bye to un-shit himself.

This is why I have never been a fan of Quinn.

Quinn was sacked 5 times a-la Charlie Frye because he holds the ball too long. He does this because he waits for his check down routes to develope. This is because he cannot throw an accurate deep ball to save his life. He moves around the pocket too much as well. He did slightly better in the second half with this, probably because the O-line and coaches gave him hell about it during halftime, but ended up taking more sacks. All of this is because throwing it deep is just not an option and never will be for him.

Before I get replies telling me that you can win without the deep ball let me elaborate.

When your QB cannot throw the deep routes or 10+yard outs, you become very limited on offense. Remember Braylon and KII with Frye? Now remember Braylon and KII with DA?! Remember our O-line with Frye? Remember our O-line with DA? When your QB is as limited as Frye or Quinn is, you have to throw away half of your playbook. That is an absolute recipe for failure. Adding to the lack of essential NFL tools Quinn is also in a state of complete panic in the pocket.

I'm out!

PS. This is my first post! It feels good to be here!

Guest ATENEARS
PS. This is my first post! It feels good to be here!

Welcome ... watch out for the Gold colored acid.

Quinn was sacked 5 times a-la Charlie Frye because he holds the ball too long. He does this because he waits for his check down routes to develope. This is because he cannot throw an accurate deep ball to save his life. He moves around the pocket too much as well. He did slightly better in the second half with this, probably because the O-line and coaches gave him hell about it during halftime, but ended up taking more sacks. All of this is because throwing it deep is just not an option and never will be for him.

I'm going to disagree with you on this your initial post. At least yesterday, he was sacked because the Vikes had no respect for his game. He wasn't even going through a progression, he was locking on and throwing to predetermined spots decided on pre-snap. If they had that side (left side) stuffed, they had him dead to rights. Quinn commanded nothing, he was a sitting duck.

I mean, you could be right, but yesterday he was just horrible and the Vikes had no hesitation in going after him.

EDIT: I guess we are closer to thinking the same way then I originally read your message. Good post, I agree.

I agree....it was where is Robert Royal supposed to be the entire game before checking down.

This, at least to this point is another Couch act....pad up a decent enough stat line but in reality be far short of winning numbers.

Not impressed to this point.

I agree....it was where is Robert Royal supposed to be the entire game before checking down.

This, at least to this point is another Couch act....pad up a decent enough stat line but in reality be far short of winning numbers.

Not impressed to this point.

I love your point about the stat line. And Robert Royal is to Quinn what Kevin Johnson was to Couch and Winslow was to Frye.

All sorts of love:

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/200...s/mj1607804.txt

IMAGINE how bad the offense would have looked if the Vikings' defense hadn't been totally confused by not knowing which Browns quarterback was going to start.

Whew!

Hats off to Coach Eric Mangini.

As expected, the Browns' quarterback subterfuge paid big dividends Sunday. The Browns were only trailing 34-13 when they scored their first offensive touchdown of the season, the year, and the equinox.

The Donner Party finally wandered into the end zone with 28 seconds left in the game, when even quarterback Brady Quinn admitted "It didn't matter much.''

It was the Browns' first regular season offensive touchdown since their 10th game of the 2008 season, which was played on Nov. 17, 2008 in Buffalo.

It was the first time the Browns scored an offensive touchdown in front of their home fans since Nov. 6, 2008, which is just a little more than 10 months ago.

The problem with that, of course, is that now the fans are going to expect another touchdown 10 months from now.

The final score and statistics from the Browns' 34-20 loss to the Vikings are deceiving to the point of being superfluous.

The Browns had 268 net yards. But if you take away the Browns' last two possessions of the game, when they were trailing 34-13, and the Vikings were in a prevent defense while waiting for the team busses to be pulled around, the Browns only gained 161 yards in the other 3 1/2 quarters of the game.

Quinn's passing stats — 21 of 35 for 205 yards — minus the last two possessions are a Charlie Frye-like 14 of 23 for 98 yards.

In other words, when the Vikings were really trying to stop the Browns' offense they stopped the Browns' offense. Cold.

"We didn't do the things we needed to do, and I personally didn't take care of the ball," Quinn said.

"I think this offense can be successful," Mangini said. "There were points in the game when we moved the football."

There just weren't enough of them.

Quinn didn't seem particularly in synch with his receivers, especially diva Braylon Edwards, who only caught one pass for 12 yards.

Could that lack of chemistry have had anything to do with the fact that Mangini refused to name a starting quarterback until just a couple of days before the game?

"I don't agree (that they were out of synch)," Mangini said.

Something was certainly amiss in the third quarter, when Quinn threw long down the left sideline for Edwards — who broke towards the center of the field just as Quinn let go of the ball.

The result was a gift interception.

"Mis-communication," said Quinn, who admitted he expected Edwards to keep running down the sideline.

Quinn's most embarrassing moment came early in the fourth quarter, when he was scrambling around left end and tried to throw a pass, only to have the ball slip out of his hand and into the air in an impromptu salute to Garo Yepremian. That fumble came at the Browns' 34-yard line, and led to another Minnesota score.

"The primary job of the quarterback is to protect the football. You can't turn the ball over twice," Mangini said.

"The ball slipped out. I was trying to make a play," Quinn said.

Slippage has been an on-going issue for the offensively-challenged Browns. Having scored one offensive touchdown in their last seven regular season games, they will head to Denver next week hoping to score — let's get crazy here — another touchdown. Or two.

Lost in Mangini's cloak and dagger act with the naming of a starting quarterback — "it can be tough to deal with, but the team did a good job of handling it," said Quinn — is that Mangini's options weren't exactly Montana and Marino. The reality is that Derek Anderson has had one good season in the NFL, and Quinn is essentially still a rookie.

Sunday, facing one of the better defenses in the NFL, the Browns started a rookie quarterback and a rookie center in Alex Mack — and it looked it: three fumbles (one lost), one interception, and a conversion rate of 25 percent (3-for-12) on third down.

The offense was decent in the first half, but indecent in the second half — when the Vikings finally decided they were ready for some football.

Quinn should get better. The offense should get better. And the defenses the Browns face won't always be so good.

But at least the Browns finally got one big hairy gorilla off their back. With 28 seconds left in their very first game of the season they scored an offensive touchdown. Quinn to Robert Royal, 26 yards, TOUCHDOWN BROWNS!

So we can all stop beating that drum.

"You guys write about it, but that's nothing we think about," Quinn said. "This is a new season."

And is that good or bad?

He does this because he waits for his check down routes to develope.

You don't have to wait for check down routes to develope (unless we are talking a TE or RB chip before the route). That's why they are check downs. They are the quicker developing route.

With DA we where scoring alot of points.......... the problem was the other teams where scoring more..... With BQ we never score points and the other team continues to score alot more....

Really?

Here's our September in 2008:

Dallas 28 Cleveland 10

Pittsburgh 10 Cleveland 6

Baltimore 28 Cleveland 10

and here's another one of DA's starts the first 2 months:

Indy 10 Cleveland 6 (Their lone TD came when Mathis returned DA's fumble for a TD)

We're not missing a freaking thing right now. We better HOPE Quinn is the answer or that light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train unless Ratliff's fate is to be the next Brian Sipe.

- Tom F.

Archived