THE BROWNS BOARD

🏈 Browns vs Bengals Game Thread Game 1. 🏈 September 10, 2023

Dutch Oven

Schwartz must be a defensive genius - watching the Browns defense - it makes so much sense the way they play. His defense just works. Any miscommunications, must have been minimal and only a few. The defensive line made the Cincy oline look bad. If we can see that same effectiveness the next time they face the Bengals, in good weather.... it's going to be great fun.

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

What a win to start. There’s been some clips on Twitter of what Schwartz has done differently with Garrett which look easy if you know how to coach. 

This was a complaint I had last year regarding Garrett’s usage. 

It was brought up again by others prior to camp. 

Still early but early returns are positive 

21 hours ago, D Bone said:

What did I miss or am forgetting about Burrow being hurt?   

From here in Bungle Land, Burrow had a calf injury all pre season, and only was 1\2 up to speed this week.

Thoughts? 

1) Browns defense played lights out.

2) Watson looked like the 2022 Watson, I hope it was just the weather.

3) Bringing in a new kicker certainly helped, How many of those three made FGs would York have missed? 

4) Garrett made the play of the game, that failed 4th down ended the game. 

5) Time to reach an injury settlement with Conklin- he just can't stay healthy. Dawand filled in admirably- I kept an eye on him several plays. Only question is if he's vulnerable to an outside speed rush. Running into him is like hitting a brick wall. 

6) Other AFCN news- Ravens RB Dobbins out for the year with a torn achilles. 

On to Pittsburgh, the 49ers smoked them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

We should roast them.. But Watson looking pedestrian worries me.. But I will stand by my "He gets 6 games" to show us something mantra. Pickett by all accounts isn't ready for prime time it seems but , we shall see... I expect our Defense to bail us out again... I need to see Watson look more fluid and efficient out there... He looked more like Josh Dobbs... We better start seeing improvement soon... Other wise... I like what I saw...

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Bringing in a new kicker certainly helped, How many of those three made FGs would York have missed? 

It really is a big deal when you don't have to worry about your kicker. Hopkins scored 10 points all by himself. Imagine how much closer the game would have looked if he had missed a couple of kicks. I said, his name wasn't being mentioned and that's a good thing. It means he's doing his job.

On 9/11/2023 at 5:12 PM, nickers said:

Pickett by all accounts isn't ready for prime time it seems but , we shall see.

I don't expect Pickett to be great, but you can almost guarantee he won't be as bad Monday night. He was historically bad last week, that likely won't happen again. Now, if he IS that bad...it won't be close. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/10/2023 at 8:19 PM, Unsympathetic said:

I hope Watson bouncing half his passes to receivers today was only because of the rain affecting his grip.. if that's his new arm strength, this season's ceiling will be a lot lower.

It was two things to me: One, remember his first game against Houston last year? He did the exact same thing. He rushed his delivery, threw too hard, didn't have his base, and bounced multiple throws. Secondly, as you mentioned, it was beyond wet. In fact, multiple reports said the weather was way worse than it appeared and the balls were just totally saturated. Watson will make plenty of throws if he has time, and the deep balls will connect. The primary concern is having time. Watt and Highsmith have always killed us, and they'll be problems again, promise. We just need to find ways of dealing with it, secure the ball and don't fumble, and we'll win. Only way Pittsburgh wins in my eyes is with defensive touchdowns. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/10/2023 at 3:48 PM, mjp28 said:

I'm back !  Back in the hospital more tests hope to be home early next week.

Nice game !   

We're pulling for you! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 9/17/2023 at 9:34 AM, jiggins7919 said:

It was two things to me: One, remember his first game against Houston last year? He did the exact same thing. He rushed his delivery, threw too hard, didn't have his base, and bounced multiple throws. Secondly, as you mentioned, it was beyond wet. In fact, multiple reports said the weather was way worse than it appeared and the balls were just totally saturated. Watson will make plenty of throws if he has time, and the deep balls will connect. The primary concern is having time. Watt and Highsmith have always killed us, and they'll be problems again, promise. We just need to find ways of dealing with it, secure the ball and don't fumble, and we'll win. Only way Pittsburgh wins in my eyes is with defensive touchdowns. 

Won't be the weather tonight (Monday). Game time forecast damn near perfect- 64 degrees, 6mph winds form the North West.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Won't be the weather tonight (Monday). Game time forecast damn near perfect- 64 degrees, 6mph winds form the North West.  

Let's GO 

• Zombo unpinned this topic