THE BROWNS BOARD

🏈 Browns vs Bengals Game Thread Game 1. 🏈 September 10, 2023

Dutch Oven

Just now, Ibleedbrown said:

Shocka pow mofos. This might be my favorite opening day as a fan ever. If the defense keeps playing in the ballpark of what they did today, and Nick Chubb remains his usual Nick Chubb self, then l’m going to be downright optimistic. 

How's that Bengal-lovin' girlfriend doing? 😏

Beast game by Delpit. IMHO best as a pro. 

From Dawgs By Nature:

The man was seemingly all over the field today. Late in the first quarter, it seemed that the Bengals were going to convert a third-and-seven when Delpit came flying out of center field and decked WR Tyler Boyd who was short. Needing eight yards on another third down situation with six ticks left in Quarter 3, Burrow hit tight end Irv Smith who is much bigger than Delpit, yet the Browns safety was able to bring him down just short. On a third-and-four with 8:21 left in the contest, RB Chris Evans caught a short pass in the left flats and met Delpit for a one-yard loss. On the next possession, Cincinnati began massive substitutions. Delpit led all tacklers with eight.

2 hours ago, D Bone said:

What a weird way to call a game. The Bungles go all in on 4th down and then just basically gave up. So weird to me. 

I’m with you. There was a noticeable relaxation in the tone after that play, and the ensuing Browns dagger TD. 

Looked like a “live to fight another day” mentality kicked in for the Bengals squad. 

What an amazing first game for the Browns! That was a top 3 team we just dominated.

The defense under Schwartz looked like a complete 180 from last year. Za'Darius Smith was everything we hoped Clowney would be the last two years. And Juan Thornhill didn't even play. We made Burrow into a beta cuck today. Exciting stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Re: Delpit.  His ability to play as a nickel, dime, box safety and what have you was never in question.   His downhill trigger has always been fine.  It's his play when he's back on a hash that has been his Achilles heel.

12 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

I hope Watson bouncing half his passes to receivers today was only because of the rain affecting his grip.. if that's his new arm strength, this season's ceiling will be a lot lower.

When I see Joey Buckets gator arming passes all day, can't help but think it was the elements.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alporcini said:

Beast game by Delpit. IMHO best as a pro. 

From Dawgs By Nature:

From that very same article...

"Rarely did Schwartz send a fifth or sixth defender on passing downs, and the front four was in the backfield repeatedly. The crown jewel today was the defensive secondary which played well in man coverage. "  

Fortunately for you Browns fans here, you get me deep diving into games.

On the 15 3rd down attempts for the Bengals... 

Schwartz called a 4 man rush 7 times

Schwartz called a 5 pressure  6 times

Schwartz called a 6 man pressure 2 times

For a blitz rate of 53.3% repeating.   The NFL average last season for blitz rates was 25.3%.   Meaning, on 3rd down alone, Schwartz called some type of 5+ man pressure over double the NFL average rate.

And THIS is why I try to caution so many of you about the run-of-the-mill sports "journalists".  Those who have deadlines and really can't, are unable, or unwilling to get into the meat and potatoes of the game itself.   They have to type out a ton of filler material.  Most of it, I'm sorry to say, is bullshit.     Barry from DBN seems like a nice guy, but this is the same dude who said Tommy Togiai needed to "get stronger" in the off-season, which is why he underperformed.  

Edit:  Please keep in mind, that's just me breaking down the 3rd down situations.  I know we sent more bodies on 2nd down and we had a 5 man pressure on a 4th down call as well.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Awesome win!

Sorry I didn't get to see it 😕

I only got to see some of it.  I saw Bell drop a ball that was easily catchable.  I saw our FG kicker kick it through the uprights.  (refreshing)  I saw Myles get a sack that pretty much ended the contest.  

I saw some stats:  Watson was 16 of 29.  That's not real good.  

Ford had 15 carries for 34 yards...and he fumbled the ball away.  Hunt was better than that on his worst day(s).

The defense deserves credit.  And Delpit had twice as many tackles as the next closest tackler.  

Congrats to Nick Chubb for his 106 yard performance....on 3 more carries than Ford and his 34 yards.

The Browns' offensive stats do not show a 3 TD victory.  But we'll take the victory that's for sure!!  

An opening day win!  Way cool!!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Orion said:

I only got to see some of it.  I saw Bell drop a ball that was easily catchable.  I saw our FG kicker kick it through the uprights.  (refreshing)  I saw Myles get a sack that pretty much ended the contest.  

Ford had 15 carries for 34 yards...and he fumbled the ball away.  Hunt was better than that on his worst day(s).

The defense deserves credit.  And Delpit had twice as many tackles as the next closest tackler.  

Congrats to Nick Chubb for his 106 yard performance....on 3 more carries than Ford and his 34 yards.

The Browns' offensive stats do not show a 3 TD victory.  But we'll take the victory that's for sure!!  

Exactly what type of offensive stats do you expect to see in shit weather like they had today?

And isn't Hunt still sitting around waiting for someone to sign him? There might be a reason why. 

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Exactly what type of offensive stats do you expect to see in shit weather like they had today?

I'd like to see a higher completion percentage.  But I'm not going to offer an 'exact' number.

And isn't Hunt still sitting around waiting for someone to sign him? There might be a reason why. 

Yes, I think Hunt is conveniently available.

4 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'd like to see a higher completion percentage.  But I'm not going to offer an 'exact' number.

I'm sure everyone would, but on a rainy, windy day on the lakefront, you probably aren't going to get it. 

Burrow completed 45% of his passes to Watson's 55%. 

• Thanks 1

I'm expecting Watson to look sharper and sharper as the season rolls on. I know it's now the kool fashion choice to not play your starting QB hardly at all during the pre-season, but DW really could've stood to have seen some meaningful reps.

If we are still talking about this in week 8, then Houston we may have a problem. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Neo said:

Dustin Hopkins. He had a nice game today.

Fair point..

Every FG sounded the same.. ammo fired after contact..

D-Hop's got some straight distance, when the ball is hitting the net there from 43  

9 hours ago, D Bone said:

I'm expecting Watson to look sharper and sharper as the season rolls on. I know it's now the kool fashion choice to not play your starting QB hardly at all during the pre-season, but DW really could've stood to have seen some meaningful reps.

If we are still talking about this in week 8, then Houston we may have a problem. 

Agree. Hey, he may be battling his own expectations. I'm sure he isn't happy with about 5-6 throws. Maybe the rain had something to do with it.

Look at it this way, if he improves his reads & trusts himself, it's going to be amazing. 

Next week is big. If the Browns steal one in Pitt, they'll be beaming with confidence. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Orion said:

To Fords credit, he was running into 9/10 man boxes on his last half dozen carries. He missed the hole on a well setup draw play halfway through the game.  He had a couple chubbesque looking runs. 

Delpit probably made (arguably) the play of the game on that deep pass breakup to Higgins. 

Lots of contested passes. In fact, it has been a long time where I’ve seen a Browns defense around the ball the whole game that well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D Bone said:

What a great day to sit in the rain for hours!! Total enjoyment and one of those games were the section stood for almost the whole game. My back and hip are reminding me of that today.  In an overall dominant Browns performance by most units  I felt Watson was pretty inconsistent for sure. Like you I hope it's mostly weather and rust. I would have thought grip issues would result in sailing throws vs the worm burners he there many of. Assuming those were weather the bigger concern I had is his field vision, it felt as though he was not seeing open receivers and / or was hitting the throw very late. I'm by far an armchair amateur so would enjoy others perspectives on that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

13 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

When I see Joey Buckets gator arming passes all day, can't help but think it was the elements.

The only small addendum I'd make to this thought is the back 7 played absolutely incredible yesterday. Burrow on top of shitty field conditions was throwing into tight coverage all afternoon.

The Browns guys were just open out there and he missed 5-6 throws. I'll let the deep balls slide a bit, but he worm burned at least three that were seemingly very open. The concerning part to me is that is exactly what he was doing last season too in short-arming the throws. With that being said, though, QBR was still almost 66 and made a few great throws when it mattered.

• Thanks 1