THE BROWNS BOARD

When qb's have wr's that can get OPEN, here's what happens

calfoxwc

23 hours ago, gumby73 said:

My fear is a team, such as the Chargers, (who's defense blows weekly/ with talent) under Brandon (boneheaded) Staley.. Should/could fire B. Staley ?

To hire a DC such as Jim Schwartz or Dan Quinn as their next head coach.. 

I've got more confidence with Stef coaching style, over watching Brandon Staley weekly 🫣

& dem Charges lose again this afternoon.  :(  

1 hour ago, Kvoethe said:

Baker kicked ass again today!!!

Anyone take tia's advice to bet the Bucs? Guess Da Bears really do suck bad.   

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Yup and Mr.Peepee still looks pedestrian

From NFL.com....  

"Blessed with good blocking against a limp pass rush, Mayfield torched the Bears' secondary, finding chunk gains easily. Evans made a host of big plays, including a 70-yard catch and run and a 32-yard TD. Mayfield went 26-of-34 passing for 317 yards and a score without taking a sack. The Bucs offense moved the ball at will between the 20s, racking up 437 total yards -- including 103 scrimmage yards and a TD from running back Rachaad White. The blowout would have ensued earlier had it not been for red zone issues (1 of 4). Sunday was a reminder that with weapons at his disposal in Tampa Bay, Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by pressure."

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Anyone take tia's advice to bet the Bucs? Guess Da Bears really do suck bad.   

And that game should have been worse. Closer to 30-17.   Bucs weren't great in the Redzone against Minny, but I figured it was because of the Vikings D-front being decent.  Turns out, they're just not showing up as an efficient redzone rushing offense so far.  That will absolutely be a liability moving forward.  

dollar-bill.gif

"Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by wr's getting open" lol

Meanwhile: (bears' oline is rated #21) (Browns oline rated #2)

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-2023-offseason

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Down 5)

Projected Starting Lineup

LT Tristan Wirfs – Played RT in 2022
LG Matt Feiler
C Ryan Jensen
RG Cody Mauch – Rookie
RT Luke Goedeke

• The Bucs are taking a gamble that arguably the best right tackle in football will transfer that play to the left side, where he played in college. Wirfs is early enough into his career that he should be fine, but it’s certainly a risk.
  • Tampa Bay’s line will now have to ply its trade without Tom Brady and the fastest average time to throw in the NFL making life easier.
Best Player: Tristan Wirfs
  • Tristan Wirfs allowed just five total pressures all season and has three straight years of elite play at right tackle.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Another year of this nonsense?

If some of you are so obsessed with Baker, become Buccaneer fans. I'm sure there is a TB Bucs version of this message board. 

FWIW, there's only ONE guy here who still follows Baker religiously. And bothers to start threads about him. Hey, Jarvis Landry thread anyone? Hell, maybe we should start a thread about him? FWIW, our former Brown Jabrill Peepers (I thought he might be out of the league by now) actually had SIX tackles against the Dolphins on MNF!!! Lets start a Jabrill thread, what ya say?   :D :D :D 

Unnatural man-crush... Let's see what happens when Maker Bayfield goes up against an Iggles team that has had their mini-bye.   

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

If some of you are so obsessed with Baker, become Buccaneer fans. I'm sure there is a TB Bucs version of this message board. 

That was the local game in my area so I watched it.  Not only are the Bears horrible - at 1 point in the game when Brisker and Jackson were both injured - the Bears didn't have 1 projected starter on the field in the secondary.  BTW, that's the dumb football team that gave All Planet LB Roquan Smith to the Ratbirds for 2 draft picks they'll probably end up trading to smarter teams at a later date if they pan out..  Anyway, I thought I'd check out the game.  In doing so, the commentators said Chase Claypool apologized to the entire team and coaching staff for the lame effort in their opener and vowed to be the player they need him to be a better teammate.  He even contributed a TD reception. Geee, how nice of him!  I feel like I need to take shower for even bringing something like that up.  I guess there was a lot of drama about him not trying.  

As for Baker, the REAL question is - will he end up being more like Jameis Winston or Tom Brady with unlimited access to the top 2 WRs in the conference? Baker was the guy I expected him to be against one of the worst teams in the league this year.  Baker threw 1 TD pass and led some good drives here and there.  Having said that, after the Bucs scored a TD early in the 3rd quarter - the Bears didn't give up another TD to the Bucs offense. The Bears inexplicably got to within 7 points in the 2nd half.  Their offensive line is just horrible.  Watching the Bears made me really appreciate the overall talent the Browns have today.  

• Upvote 1

Baker looked good yesterday.  I got the Sunday ticket and ended up watching much of the Buc's game.  I have always been a Bucs fan of sorts.  My parents retired to the area and my Dad bought season tickets for their 1st season and held them many years.  I always went to the Browns game when they played in Tampa. I also went to many non-Browns games.

I don't know if it is so much about the receivers as much as it is about Baker.  I think he has matured and possibly been humbled a bit.  He finally understands that he doesn't need to be "the guy"  He just needs to move the team down the field.

If he was still in Cleveland, it still wouldn't be working out for him.  He would still be trying to be "the guy" and the fans would still be expecting him to be that.  I think he has finally settled in to a place where he can be comfortable.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well if we take the fact several here were saying JFF was so good in college because Mike Evans bailed him out, may (field) we make the same conclusion now at T.B.?🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Baker looked good yesterday.  I got the Sunday ticket and ended up watching much of the Buc's game.  I have always been a Bucs fan of sorts.  My parents retired to the area and my Dad bought season tickets for their 1st season and held them many years.  I always went to the Browns game when they played in Tampa. I also went to many non-Browns games.

I don't know if it is so much about the receivers as much as it is about Baker.  I think he has matured and possibly been humbled a bit.  He finally understands that he doesn't need to be "the guy"  He just needs to move the team down the field.

If he was still in Cleveland, it still wouldn't be working out for him.  He would still be trying to be "the guy" and the fans would still be expecting him to be that.  I think he has finally settled in to a place where he can be comfortable.

Having something like 4 different Offensive Coordinators in his 1st 3 years probably had a lot to do with that.  In his 2nd year, the Browns lost both starting Tackles on opening day plus the backup Tackle Hubbard vrs the TN Titans.  That'll make anyone antsy in the pocket.

I still see some inconsistency with how quickly he gets through his progression reads.  He's very streaky with it.  I can't help but think that's a permanent thing but I've been wrong before.

The change was as necessary for Baker as it was for the Browns.  It's up to him to prove to a team he's a keeper.  He's gone from Cleveland to Carolina to LA to Tampa so I think getting that consistency improved could give him a home in a league that needs 32 starting QBs. 

I follow all sorts of stuff, and several players.

LIke, Jared Goff - I thought he was "iffy" coming out of the draft.

But he is a far better qb with the Lions now than he was with the rams.