THE BROWNS BOARD

Squad upgrade: Trade and Free Agency topic

Korsou Dawg

Thought I would open this topic to centrally discuss possible upgrades to the squad during the season. If such a topic already exists, please feel free to merge or point me towards it. 

The only big hole I see in the squad right now is OT, especially left side. It is showing in the number of times DW has been sacked, despite being mobile. I have been a vocal detractor of Willis for more than a season, so it will come to no one's surprise that I think it is time to shed Jed. I would like to see how Dawand develops on the right, as long as he has a veteran back-up, but the only OT I see listed among the reserves is Hudson III. That doesn't seem enough to have a great season.

Hope Berry is looking for possible upgrades. The below article mentioned Garett Bolles as a possible trade target, but he would have to come damn cheap in the final year of his contract. Probably more likely to be a FA target next off-season.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-broncos-garett-bolles-jerry-jeudy-trade-targets/

Any other possible OT targets you guys see, or other positions that could do with improving?

I know we just signed a back from Indy, another player, i can't remember the position.

At this time of year you are mostly looking to update the practice squad and bottom end of the roster with future in mind..

Building a roster from the bottom up might not be sexy, but it is just as important as building from the top down.  If you can replace your weakest players and improve, you just got better.

Roster building isn't just about bringing star quality player.

pure clickbait, but fun if you're into that kind of thing.  "Cap" at present is rollover for next season.

We likely have Jed both this season and next because that's his rookie contract.. an equivalent-or-better talent at his cap level won't be possible.  His replacement will come with our 1st-rounder in the 2025 draft.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

pure clickbait, but fun if you're into that kind of thing.  "Cap" at present is rollover for next season.

We likely have Jed both this season and next because that's his rookie contract.. an equivalent-or-better talent at his cap level won't be possible.  His replacement will come with our 1st-rounder in the 2025 draft.

Exactly.  You can't do it all in a day.  It' a process that extends over several years, and you have to move from position to position.   A coach and fans  think about this year.  A GM has to project out 2-3 years.  You don't replace Bitiono when his contract expires, or he retires.  You have to move on that a year or two before that happens.

Being a day late usually doesn't work.

Question.. Did the NFL drop the rule where teams could protect 4 PS players in 2023?

I've seen/heard nothing on who the Browns or any team can/has protected in 2023 🤔 GM private list maybe?

17 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I know we just signed a back from Indy, another player, i can't remember the position.

At this time of year you are mostly looking to update the practice squad and bottom end of the roster with future in mind..

Building a roster from the bottom up might not be sexy, but it is just as important as building from the top down.  If you can replace your weakest players and improve, you just got better.

Roster building isn't just about bringing star quality player.

Not going to discuss the obvious merits of your argument, which I agree with in principle. I do think we have different views of where the Browns are now. 

I have said it before, and I will say it again: the Browns are win-now. We only have a few more season that our franchise players are in their prime, and they have value left should we fail to win the SB, and upstairs decides to initiate a rebuild. They threw everything including the kitchen sink at DW for the same reason, and I fully expect them to continue making such moves for the next couple of seasons. Wholesome team-building from the bottom be damned, or at least, is much further down the list of priorities from ownership.

That is the perspective from which I wrote my previous post, and my view is unchanged in that regard. We have arguably the best D in the league right now, only giving up 21 first downs in three games. Next best team being Buffalo with 41. If we manage to keep that up, we are a contender. On the other hand, we are certainly not without weaknesses, OT being the most glaring one so far in my view. I pretty sure Berry is on the lookout for opportunities to maximize our win-now changes. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

On the other hand, we are certainly not without weaknesses, OT being the most glaring one so far in my view. I pretty sure Berry is on the lookout for opportunities to maximize our win-now changes. 

Trading for starting LT's are such a rarity in the NFL..https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/left-tackle/trade/

Just this past week, we saw the Titans have to use Chris Hubbard & they added Andre Dillard on young hyped upside (pick #22 to eagles FA)

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2023/09/andre-dillard-on-pace-to-give-up-34-sacks-and-91-pressures.html

Let's just hope the browns get to the trade deadline (10-31) as buyers & not sellers at this point.. OL play has not been great early this season across the NFL

The only Tackles I've seen in trades pending deadline records are..

Packers LT David Bakhtiari moving to a ring chance alla' Joe Thomas trade rumors 

Bengals T Jonah Williams is another former Bama tackle struggling just as Jed Wills 

stay tuned, players agents will start screaming who wants out sooner than later

• Thanks 1

We will restructure deals if we have to but we are like Korsou said in a win now mode.  This regime especially is in a win now mode.  If Wills is being a lazy slob on the line a buffer or replacement will be looked at-  I believe it.  We are replacing Wills not Joe Thomas.

don’t think for one second we have to wait for 2025 for a first round pick.  This thread is filled with players that are 1st round busts Dillard and Jonah Williams but other guys like Bakhtiari 4th round finds.  

Im sure we will be looking second day or early third day in the 2024 draft too.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Trading for starting LT's are such a rarity in the NFL..https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/left-tackle/trade/

Just this past week, we saw the Titans have to use Chris Hubbard & they added Andre Dillard on young hyped upside (pick #22 to eagles FA)

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2023/09/andre-dillard-on-pace-to-give-up-34-sacks-and-91-pressures.html

Let's just hope the browns get to the trade deadline (10-31) as buyers & not sellers at this point.. OL play has not been great early this season across the NFL

The only Tackles I've seen in trades pending deadline records are..

Packers LT David Bakhtiari moving to a ring chance alla' Joe Thomas trade rumors 

Bengals T Jonah Williams is another former Bama tackle struggling just as Jed Wills 

stay tuned, players agents will start screaming who wants out sooner than later

Appreciate the well researched reply. 

Considering the unicorn like status of good, or better LTs, I am not surprised it is almost impossible to trade for them. On the other hand, any 300 pounder with a pulse is an improvement over Willis Jr at this point... 

On 9/27/2023 at 5:53 PM, Orion said:

I also think we're stuck with Wills for this year and next.  We don't have a 1st round pick this coming draft.  And I doubt that we try and trade for one.

No doubt.   If anything we will try to add picks like we have. We may try to move up some on draft day, but it won't be for a 1st rounder.  Maybe try to move back in to the 3rd, or something like that.

On draft day we may move up some

On 9/28/2023 at 9:42 AM, SdBacker80 said:

but other guys like Bakhtiari 4th round finds.  

What a buffering, froze up, TV screen mess, Amazon Prime was in my area watching last nights game.. Anybody else have the same issues? worse I've seen

Anywho, T David Bakhiari was put on a minimum of 4 weeks IR before the game with repeated knee issues.. Any trade value left just took a risky hit 

edit 10-6.. done for the year, requires knee surgery. 

OT Garett Bolles, Denver Broncos

Given how dominant the Browns defense has been under new coordinator Jim Schwartz, this team should be making moves to contend this season. Trading for Garett Bolles, whom B/R's Kristopher Knox recently identified as a trade candidate, would certainly qualify.

The 1-3 Broncos should be willing to shed veteran salaries to get draft picks, as they clearly need to rebuild. The struggles of left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. and the season-ending injury of right tackle Jack Conklin could necessitate the addition of another tackle in Cleveland.

3 weeks away from deadline.. one of numerous trade market rumors...   https://nfltraderumors.co/2023-nfl-trade-catalog/

every 2023 NFL trade. value/grade    https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-trade-tracker-updates-grades/

early reports had LB Jordan Kunaszyk returning for Ravens week.. could return to practice during bye week? any need for keeping another PK on PS?

• 1 month later...

hat Duron Harmon brings to the Browns roster

Duron Harmon adds depth after the Rodney McLeod injury

By Matt_Wilson  Nov 23, 2023, 9:05am EST  

The Cleveland Browns took another big injury hit on Sunday when it was announced that safety Rodney McLeod will miss the rest of the season due to a biceps injury. In order to help soften the blow, the team announced that they have signed 3-time Super Bowl Champion defensive back Duron Harmon.

Harmon is an experienced safety who has had a lot of success in the league over the years and actually had one of his best seasons in 2022 with the Las Vegas Raiders.

2022 Statistics

Tackles: 86

Pass Deflections: 5

Interceptions: 2

Forced Fumbles: 2

PFF Grade: 72.3

Harmon will provide the Browns with a lot of the experience and leadership ability in the secondary that they lost with McLeod. He’s another versatile safety who has played all over the field for defenses and can be utilized in the same ways that Jim Schwartz used McLeod.

He had a 77.6 coverage grade in 2022, which is far above average for the strong safety position. Harmon’s instincts and ball skills have allowed him to consistently be in the right spot when it comes to navigating inside of passing lanes and diagnosing route combos.

Though he’s not necessarily known for his ability to stop the run, he's more than capable of doing so as evidenced by his production in that category over the past three seasons for the Lions, Falcons, and Raiders.

In addition to the Harmon signing, Cleveland has a couple of in-house options at their disposal as well to help with the Rodney McLeod damage control:

D’Anthony Bell

Bell is currently one of the team’s core special teamers, specifically on the punt and kickoff units. He’s a bigger, box-type safety who’s naturally an excellent tackler and does a great job against the run while showing adequate coverage ability as well. He started a couple of games for the Browns in 2022 but has only participated in 4% of total defensive snaps so far in 2023.

Ronnie Hickman

Hickman is currently in his rookie season after signing with the team as a UDFA after the 2023 NFL Draft. He had a very successful and productive preseason with the team that resulted in him making the 53-man active roster heading into the regular season. He has shown a lot of improvement in pass coverage since being signed and is happy to step up and make stops against the run. He has participated in 19% of total defensive snaps this season and had a particularly good showing against Pittsburgh last weekend.

• Thanks 1

WR Kenny Golladay

If the Browns are going to find some success on offense down the back stretch, it's going to be because of the supporting cast around Thompson-Robinson. The rookie has some positive traits, but he's only going to be as good as the players around him. Right now, the Browns are really banged up at receiver, and the healthy players outside of Amari Cooper are relatively young.

The outisde options are limited, but Kenny Golladay has a 1,000-yard season on his resume. He was a bust with the New York Giants, but he'd at least be worth a workout right now.

37 minutes ago, Orion said:

So Duron Harmon brought his hat to the Browns roster.  I've got one with Snoopy on it.  :)

...Rodney McLeod was a pleasant surprise this year.  Of course he's gotta get hurt though...

McLeod had some really bad plays when Thornhill was out, one giving up a touchdown iirc. Just a total misread in the wrong direction.

Will miss the depth, but not a game changer or anything,

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The Cleveland Browns have signed QB Jeff Driskel to the active roster off the Cardinals' practice squad. To make room on the roster, the team has waived DE Sam Kamara.

Driskel (6-4, 235) is in his eighth NFL season out of Louisiana Tech. Originally a sixth-round draft pick by the 49ers in 2016, Driskel has appeared in 23 career games with 11 starts with the Bengals (2018), Lions (2019), Broncos (2020) and Texans (2021-22). He has completed 216 of 365 career passes for 2,228 yards with 14 touchdowns. He has added 384 rushing yards with three scores. He made two starts for the Texans in 2022 and has spent the majority of this season the Cardinals' practice squad.

....Now that we've qualified for the playoffs they want to make sure they have somebody better than PJ Walker at their disposal.  They're getting serious now.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Bernie Kosar was talking about kicking the tires on Jarvis Landry.

With EJ Moore taking a seizure on the field after his head got smashed into the turf...and Tillman not being a good route runner and thus only getting 1 or 2 catches a game...we're weak at WR.  

17 hours ago, Orion said:

With EJ Moore taking a seizure on the field after his head got smashed into the turf...and Tillman not being a good route runner and thus only getting 1 or 2 catches a game...we're weak at WR.  

We've always been thin at WR, but I'm not sure adding another guy who can't get open would do much, even if we all really like Landry. 

Tillman is definitely a work in progress, and I've pretty much written off David Bell. The Browns definitely need to add to the WR unit this offseason. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

We've always been thin at WR, but I'm not sure adding another guy who can't get open would do much, even if we all really like Landry. 

Tillman is definitely a work in progress, and I've pretty much written off David Bell. The Browns definitely need to add to the WR unit this offseason. 

Whatever happened Watkins?  I thought he was impressive in the preseason for whatever that's worth.  Is he still with us?

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Practice squad, I believe. 

He reminds me of Kennan McCardell in the sense of making some strong 1st impressions but we never really tapped McCardell's talent and skillset before he went off to Jax and became a Pro Bowl WR. We had him from 92-95 (finally getting 5 starts in 95 and reps in other games for 56 rec 709 yards and 4 TDs).  I've love to see what a QB like Flacco could get out of Watkins. Play his ass at Cincy - the Rats are absolutely bullying a very timid and intimidated Dolphins team today so we might as well let Moore and Cooper heal.