THE BROWNS BOARD

Squad upgrade: Trade and Free Agency topic

Korsou Dawg

19 hours ago, Orion said:

Tillman not being a good route runner and thus only getting 1 or 2 catches a game...we're weak at WR.  

I think you need to keep a few things in proper perspective. 

- Tillman is a mid round rookie on a team that has gone through 4 QB's now.

- He only started getting meaningful targets the last 6-8 games, depending on how you view meaningful.

- He has been playing a more classic 'X' receiver roll, not all that unlike DK Metcalf.   However, unlike Metcalf, he isn't some physical freak of nature.   But his style of game, contested catches in tight spaces and creating separation off physicality and contact, is in that same mold.   You basically play your game away from him until you draw those 1 on 1's, force the issue, and make a defense double him.   

- To further that point, DK averages just under 5 catches per game is entire career and a notch over 1k per year. 

- We simply lack the consistent QB play to have made him a more effective player his first season. But also having a coaching staff who has slowly grown to the adjustment of better using his skill set, being that we've had a handful of receivers the last season who vary pretty significantly from Ceddy.   Maybe save for DPJ, who was shipped off in favor of him.  

When you take into account he's a 4.6 runner who is a taller 6'3 type with longer strides and a much higher center of gravity which increases the need for hip sink and shoulder control,  saying that Tillman "isn't a good route technician" just comes across as sloppy bubs.   

edit: To bullet point this.  I don't think the raw talent of the WR room is the problem.  It's health, experience and getting our QB situation settled.

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I think you need to keep a few things in proper perspective. 

- Tillman is a mid round rookie on a team that has gone through 4 QB's now.

- He only started getting meaningful targets the last 6-8 games, depending on how you view meaningful.

- He has been playing a more classic 'X' receiver roll, not all that unlike DK Metcalf.   However, unlike Metcalf, he isn't some physical freak of nature.   But his style of game, contested catches in tight spaces and creating separation off physicality and contact, is in that same mold.   You basically play your game away from him until you draw those 1 on 1's, force the issue, and make a defense double him.   

- To further that point, DK averages just under 5 catches per game is entire career and a notch over 1k per year. 

- We simply lack the consistent QB play to have made him a more effective player his first season. But also having a coaching staff who has slowly grown to the adjustment of better using his skill set, being that we've had a handful of receivers the last season who vary pretty significantly from Ceddy.   Maybe save for DPJ, who was shipped off in favor of him.  

When you take into account he's a 4.6 runner who is a taller 6'3 type with longer strides and a much higher center of gravity which increases the need for hip sink and shoulder control,  saying that Tillman "isn't a good route technician" just comes across as sloppy bubs.   

edit: To bullet point this.  I don't think the raw talent of the WR room is the problem.  It's health, experience and getting our QB situation settled.

Good points! I like the edit; and agree that adjusting to 4 different QBs during a rookie season with a limited volume of reps to date requires some patience throughout the learning.  1 thing I love - is the lad can block and bully some DBs.  He also looked pretty good catching the ball a week or 2 ago.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

saying that Tillman "isn't a good route technician" just comes across as sloppy bubs.

...but it's not just me sayin' that.  The sidelines announcer said it during the game (Deron Cherry?).  And I read it in someone's article a couple of weeks ago.  

5 minutes ago, Orion said:

...but it's not just me sayin' that.  The sidelines announcer said it during the game (Deron Cherry?).  And I read it in someone's article a couple of weeks ago.  

Oh shit, an article? Well fuck me...  my bad.

Look man, you know as well as I do, most of what you read from the wanna-be sports media writing groups, Dawgs By Nature, Dawg Pound Daily, etc etc.... are watered down nonsense that lacks attention to detail.  And sideline announcers are basically cramming homework during the week that way they at least have some understanding as to the games and personnel they have to announce for.    Which means you're going to get cosmetic and, if you're lucky, maybe some depth to the commentary.  Otherwise they just watch ESPN and take a couple notes.

Would any of these sources say Larry Fitzgerald was "bad route runner"?  HELL No...  so why would we say the same of a WR who plays a similar position and style?   Corey Coleman was a bad route runner.  Antonio Callaway was a bad route runner.  Anthony Schwartz was a non-existent level route runner.

That ain't Ceddy.   Just because we don't see significant separation like you would have with "smaller" receivers, doesn't mean he ain't getting it done.  

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

And sideline announcers are basically

...well this one was saying that Tillman has got to flatten that route out.  Now, I couldn't see the game because it was on amazon...but I'm pretty sure that it was a pass into the end zone.