THE BROWNS BOARD

This Loss False Squarely on Andrew Berry!

nickers

This is what Andrew Berry gets for trading off Dobbs and entrusting the game to a garbage QB who was worse than a dear in headlights and... This also belongs to Kevvy for mismanaging DTR and not putting him in position to succeed...He took the game out of his hands and showed no confidence in him whatsoever... This was piss poor coaching 101 at it's finest... There's just no 2 ways about it... Any respectable QB play and we win this... Poor effort by everybody From the FO on down... I mean at least employ some screens and wheel routes and get your guy comfy.. Berry and Kevvy are the weakest link on this team right now!!

• Like 1

Worse rookie QB I have seen in a long time and some people actually wanted him to play earlier? Just goes to show anyone can look good in preseason. Yes could have called simpler plays for him, but not sure that would have helped all that much. Just a bad day all around.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nickers said:

This is what Andrew Berry gets for trading off Dobbs and entrusting the game to a garbage QB who was worse than a dear in headlights and... This also belongs to Kevvy for mismanaging DTR and not putting him in position to succeed...He took the game out of his hands and showed no confidence in him whatsoever... This was piss poor coaching 101 at it's finest... There's just no 2 ways about it... Any respectable QB play and we win this... Poor effort by everybody From the FO on down... I mean at least employ some screens and wheel routes and get your guy comfy.. Berry and Kevvy are the weakest link on this team right now!!

This is the only comment that matters and it's exactly what I said. Berry's ridiculous trade of Dobbs put our players in this position and we had zero chance to even score, let alone win. 

• Thanks 1

In two and half quarters I watched…
Dobbs wasn’t winning this one. 

I think we lost to a team with a very good offensive game plan and a QB that had an MVP type performance.  I hate heaping praise on Lamar but he was great today. 

^^^thats what we will need if we want to do anything this year.  

11 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

In two and half quarters I watched…
Dobbs wasn’t winning this one. 

I think we lost to a team with a very good offensive game plan and a QB that had an MVP type performance.  I hate heaping praise on Lamar but he was great today. 

^^^thats what we will need if we want to do anything this year.  

Well, may not win with dobbs but at least be competitive and have a chance at the game. That’s all you really want from a qb2

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

The love for Josh Dobbs today on this board that was never evident when he was actually here is interesting. 

I think the constant losing has dummied down our fan base. QB #2 seems to be everybody's favorite player in Cleveland. 

I was at the game back in 2002 when Couch got hurt, and a majority of the fans cheered when he got carted off. It's been and endless cycle ever since. 

We're definitely a damaged crew, I do get the frustrations. Art Modell ripped my (our) heart out 28 years ago, and it seems we just can't recover. 

Win, lose or draw a Sunday watching the Browns is always the best Sunday.

There are a lot of technically very smart analytical guys on TBB.

However, I don't believe this mess is about x's and o's, but instead one of not having a strong, self-determined leader.

A race isn't over until the end, but the Browns franchise is simply not very good. In every tough game, when the chips are down, the Browns fall apart at the seams.

It would be one thing if the team suffered player weaknesses in a certain area, but the fuck ups are like Lizzo.....they are all over the place, and no unit is cock-sure solid.

The blame? I have no idea. What I do know is that this is not a winning franchise.

Shit happens, but fuck, sometimes you have to win when shit happens. This team just can't.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The love for Josh Dobbs today on this board that was never evident when he was actually here is interesting. 

Well I think the problem is watching Dobbs play serviceably in AZ and we had him under contract.

This team is built to contend now, you need a serviceable QB2 that can keep you in games

I like DTR, but he needs a lot more time in the film room and practice field to fill that role.

Don’t think it’s fair to compare criticizing a bad trade to something like the Holcomb fiasco

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You're right, to a point, but how often do fans announce their love for a backup QB? We all know, ALL of us, that preseason doesn't mean anything. We were scared of losing DTR if we practice squaded him, so we traded Dobbs in hopes Watson never got hurt. A QB who doesn't know how to slide, throw it away, or pass it quickly. 

Watson will most likely miss more games unless something changes with his game. DTR can't play again, he just can't. 

I just hate arguing for Dobbs or some other JAG.  This a good roster one of our best since we’ve been back but losing the best Running Back in football and your Franchise QB - we are cheering on at best an 8-9 team.  And Win some and lose some was not the expectation this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I just hate arguing for Dobbs or some other JAG.  This a good roster one of our best since we’ve been back but losing the best Running Back in football and your Franchise QB - we are cheering on at best an 8-9 team.  And Win some and lose some was not the expectation this year. 

6-11 team

Well Im not pining for Dobbs per se... My general point was you don't jettison a back up with experience and expect a 5th round draft choice with no exp to lead your team...

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

We get calls.  Did you see the first play of the game on offense that wiped out the long run?  

I liked last weeks fake out of bounds call that could have cost us.

3 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

I liked last weeks fake out of bounds call that could have cost us.

I hope it all evens out to 50/50 at the end but we haven’t been in the right side of calls the last two weeks.    

The Ravens got a tough call against them last week in overtime.  The nfl went ahead and corrected that on the PI call against Ward which had less than half of the contact of the play they didn’t call for the Ravens  last week. The DPJ non call against the Steelers was probably worse than the non call against the Ravens last week. 

In the lead or a close game, I hope we are up two scores towards the end of the game so a call doesn’t completely crash the game.

i hate complaining about each and every call - it is a broken system though.   You have a multi billion dollar mega operation and you have officials exerting control over it that work part time for the NFL and have very little accountability. 

• Upvote 1

Hold on.... 

A fifth round rookie QB who was told he was starting hours before the game against a playoff team year in and year out with a head coach who has been with the team since the end of George W's second term looked really bad in his first NFL start?

The hell you say!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bbedward said:

This team is built to contend now, you need a serviceable QB2 that can keep you in games

Thank you!  

If we want someone to blame, we can say it's the people that decided a late-round rookie draft pick is the #2 QB.  

And we can blame Watson for taking on tacklers instead of sliding which put his team in the position to have to play a rookie late-round pick.  (...and coaches that don't teach GET DOWN to their QBs)

On 10/1/2023 at 5:21 PM, nickers said:

Surely Watson deserves some of the blame for this too...

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2023 at 10:18 PM, bbedward said:

Well I think the problem is watching Dobbs play serviceably in AZ and we had him under contract.

I like DTR, but he needs a lot more time in the film room and practice field to fill that role.

Don’t think it’s fair to compare criticizing a bad trade to something like the Holcomb fiasco

Great post!   

As the volume of teams is now at 32, there's not even enough serviceable starting QBs in this league.  Last year, the Browns had a reliable fill-in starter they probably should have kept.  He already knew the offense or what it is...  Seems weird to guarantee 230 $ to a QB that decided near the end of the week after preparing for the Rats with "THE GAME PLAN" that "Man, my shoulder really hurts!"   I wonder what hurt more - the shoulder or the reality of the game plan the brain trust thought could beat the Rats...

I'm most worried about the offensive brain trust or game planning committee (inclusive of FO/Depodesta). 

• Upvote 2