THE BROWNS BOARD

Love for Stefanski.

jiggins7919

I know I'm not known for my optimism, and I admit most of it is just an act that I have fun with (and you guys semi tolerate, hehe) but I wanted to show some love for Stefanski in the aftermath of odd attacks against him. Let's look at the facts so far.    :wub:

We lose the lifeforce and literal foundation of our offense, Nick Chubb. Chubb was EVERYTHING to our offensive philosophy and we lost him almost immediately. You lose the Steelers game on two freak turnover plays, and the second one is kind of on coach for calling it, but your qb HAS to know he can't fumble. Just fall down. 

You lose your starting QB immediately after he finally has a decent game. Your backup was traded by the GM before the season. You're forced to start PJ Walker, by all accounts NOT an NFL caliber QB. 

With all this crap going on, our coach has us moving the ball. Not much, but enough. How about that direct snap with Hunt? The flea-flicker screen pass? The fourth down fake toss-pitch that was WIDE OPEN but PJ throws a pitch like Nolan effing Ryan. The TE shovel to Njoku at the end, where once again, PJ throws it SO HARD it literally bounced off Njoku's FACE. What in the actual eff. 

Finally, how about the expert playcalling in the very end, including the aforementioned TE shovel pass, but every single play he called should've scored. The one play PJ threw it out of the back had Bryant WIDE ASS OPEN. We scored and gave the ball back with no time. 

Stefanski has gone through so much BS and seems to get crushed and I don't think it's totally fair. He's done a ton correctly and does so with class. Don't some of our fans that hate him remember the bungling horse turds we had before? Coach is scheming them up and we're getting points. It ain't pretty, but until we get a real QB or Watson heals, we're going to play the ugly game with a coach that's finding ways to keep us relevant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I know I'm not known for my optimism, and I admit most of it is just an act that I have fun with (and you guys semi tolerate, hehe) but I wanted to show some love for Stefanski in the aftermath of odd attacks against him. Let's look at the facts so far. 

We lose the lifeforce and literal foundation of our offense, Nick Chubb. Chubb was EVERYTHING to our offensive philosophy and we lost him almost immediately. You lose the Steelers game on two freak turnover plays, and the second one is kind of on coach for calling it, but your qb HAS to know he can't fumble. Just fall down. 

You lose your starting QB immediately after he finally has a decent game. Your backup was traded by the GM before the season. You're forced to start PJ Walker, by all accounts NOT an NFL caliber QB. 

With all this crap going on, our coach has us moving the ball. Not much, but enough. How about that direct snap with Hunt? The flea-flicker screen pass? The fourth down fake toss-pitch that was WIDE OPEN but PJ throws a pitch like Nolan effing Ryan. The TE shovel to Njoku at the end, where once again, PJ throws it SO HARD it literally bounced off Njoku's FACE. What in the actual eff. 

Finally, how about the expert playcalling in the very end, including the aforementioned TE shovel pass, but every single play he called should've scored. The one play PJ threw it out of the back had Bryant WIDE ASS OPEN. We scored and gave the ball back with no time. 

Stefanski has gone through so much BS and seems to get crushed and I don't think it's totally fair. He's done a ton correctly and does so with class. Don't some of our fans that hate him remember the bungling horse turds we had before? Coach is scheming them up and we're getting points. It ain't pretty, but until we get a real QB or Watson heals, we're going to play the ugly game with a coach that's finding ways to keep us relevant. 

The play calls throughout his tenure leave a lot to be desired.  I don’t fully expect anyone of us to be on board with most of the calls anyway.  I’ll maintain that the HC and play calling/OC roles are too much for him. I did not like the TE shovel pass on that second goal line play.

I was surprised by Kevin yesterday punting from their 45 (I believe) knowing the flow of game - putting faith in the punt team and the defense at the right time - that ultimately led to a TD and a FG at the end of half.

His DC and ST coach additions have been great.  Both units are performing much better from last year. 

to be 4-2 with what is probably bottom 5 QB play - is amazing.  Ask Belichick if winning is easy with bad QB play. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Does he make you long for the likes of Hue Jackson?   Even the great coaches can't win without superior talent. 

God no... We already tried that dude...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Don't some of our fans that hate him remember the bungling horse turds we had before?

One would have to think that they do not.

With our current QB situation, the analytical playbook has had to sit on a shelf in the locker room.  Now he has to coach NFL football and not Madden...like Haslem & DePo want.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Orion said:

One would have to think that they do not.

With our current QB situation, the analytical playbook has had to sit on a shelf in the locker room.  Now he has to coach NFL football and not Madden...like Haslem & DePo want.

The one great thing I took from Madden was I developed a greater respect for the running game... It really shows you some nuances you don't see on TV... Now I'm not saying Madden is a handbook for Football... But I think you can learn a lot from it if you look at it from the right perspective... The other thing I got to understand better was route running and timing.... I was just able to see other nuances I couldnt see on TV.. I have terrible eye sight

I dig Stefanski. Sure, l’ve had my share of “what are you dooooinggg?!?” moments, but not regularly, and fewer and fewer as his career marches on. I think he’s one of the more quality coaches we’ve had since the return. 

The team plays for him. He doesn’t seem to panic when things go sideways. His beard is always nicely trimmed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nickers said:

I was just able to see other nuances I couldnt see on TV.. I have terrible eye sight

If you're talking about being at a game and in the stands, then yeah, your eye sight.  But watching on TV you can only see what they put on the screen.  It turns ya into a ball watcher.  Unless you like watching the line play...

Stef's got a really hard job.  When he's got their QB in there and mostly everyone is healthy then they want him to lead the league in analytical type play.  Now, without Chubb and their QB, Watson, he's still expected to win with shadows, light, smoke and mirrors.  And the job is getting harder with Ford injuring his ankle and Hunt with a thigh issue.  

At some point these key offensive injuries are going to catch up with us....and then the losses will start to pile up.  And guys like the Ghoul will be happy so they can bash the only non-idiot HC we've had in decades.  

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

If you're talking about being at a game and in the stands, then yeah, your eye sight.  But watching on TV you can only see what they put on the screen.  It turns ya into a ball watcher.  Unless you like watching the line play...

Stef's got a really hard job.  When he's got their QB in there and mostly everyone is healthy then they want him to lead the league in analytical type play.  Now, without Chubb and their QB, Watson, he's still expected to win with shadows, light, smoke and mirrors.  And the job is getting harder with Ford injuring his ankle and Hunt with a thigh issue.  

At some point these key offensive injuries are going to catch up with us....and then the losses will start to pile up.  And guys like the Ghoul will be happy so they can bash the only non-idiot HC we've had in decades.  

Appreciate your post but I'm not sold on Steffy... I really don't think he's all that smart honestly...

• Thanks 1

• mjp28 changed the title to Love for Stefanski.
3 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

In all honesty, I think Kev would be a better HC if he got his face out of his play call sheet and let VanPelt do his job.

maybe ?  you do understand that we will be running the same offense. how much would change ?

On 10/23/2023 at 12:59 PM, jiggins7919 said:

I know I'm not known for my optimism, and I admit most of it is just an act that I have fun with (and you guys semi tolerate, hehe) but I wanted to show some love for Stefanski in the aftermath of odd attacks against him. Let's look at the facts so far.    :wub:

I agree, I had been ok with him in prior seasons but before the bye doubts started creeping in. The Indy game especially demonstrated great coaching, maximising your special teams and maintaining confidence in your star player in defense even when the unit was underperforming. Also benching Deshaun was the right decision and finally giving your best offensive unit in the game namely the OL and Kareem Hunt the opportunity to win the game on the winning drive. Cooper is probably our best offensive weapon overall now but no way would he be serviced by PJ in that scenario.   ......  absolutely ,  so he never, ever leaves  and we don't  accidently  ever forget to pay him .......  in small bills, please.    :wub:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, syd said:

we need to pay him, so he never leaves

I like Coop, quite a bit, but he’s kinda like a super possession receiver. I don’t think he’s overly fast or shifty or powerful, so l don’t see us backing the Brinks truck up to him anytime soon. 

IMO the Brinks truck worthy wideout is the guy with great hands and great YAC. Like Josh Gordon before his life got ridiculously weird.   ...... in a plain grey Brink's truck ......   and small bills, please.   Coop prefers his pay that way.   $10's  and $20's  please.   :wub:

36 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I like Coop, quite a bit, but he’s kinda like a super possession receiver. I don’t think he’s overly fast or shifty or powerful, so l don’t see us backing the Brinks truck up to him anytime soon. 

IMO the Brinks truck worthy wideout is the guy with great hands and great YAC. Like Josh Gordon before his life got ridiculously weird. 

so who in the fuck are you gonna bring in ?

1 minute ago, Ibleedbrown said:

We don’t need to bring anyone in right now, he’s paid rather well through 2024 with us. I’d like to see us draft or spit polish a diamond-in-the-rough type guy between now and then to challenge him for catches. 

if we get lucky in the draft ?  Please  Tillman ?  peoples jones  ?

Re: the OP l got something here. A corndog analogy.

The players on a football team are like a hot dog. Perfectly functional, come from many parts and put together in a system like manner, and for the most part form a unit that performs its function with a degree of consistency. 

And the crispy deliciously deep fried batter coating? That’s the head coach. That’s the thing that holds the team together, makes them hot and crisp, or can make them mushy and disappointing.

I think Kevin Stefanski is fine deep battered and fried.

IMG_9369.jpeg

• Haha 1

• mjp28 featured this topic
46 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

He's the best coach the Browns have had since BB. 

And unfortunately the brain trust thought they got a Purdy in the 5th round. They did not. So Kevin is now severely handicapped by them IMO. It isn't Kevin that made this more than difficult. To their credit they did do the right thing for the D. To their discredit they screwed the pooch at QB backup help.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And unfortunately the brain trust thought they got a Purdy in the 5th round. They did not. So Kevin is now severely handicapped by them IMO. It isn't Kevin that made this more than difficult. To their credit they did do the right thing for the D. To their discredit they screwed the pooch at QB backup help.

Yes, but just because DTR isn't ready yet doesn't mean he can't be eventually. Started 4 years at UCLA, we will see