THE BROWNS BOARD

Love for Stefanski.

jiggins7919

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Yes, but just because DTR isn't ready yet doesn't mean he can't be eventually. Started 4 years at UCLA, we will see

In a season we built a defense to contend in the playoffs, we definitely made a mistake having a rookie 5th rounder as backup to DW. Eventually does not mean possibly in the next game and that is the reality of improper planning by the supposed "brain trust". They screwed the pooch.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

In a season we built a defense to contend in the playoffs, we definitely made a mistake having a rookie 5th rounder as backup to DW. Eventually does not mean possibly in the next game and that is the reality of improper planning by the supposed "brain trust". They screwed the pooch.

I'm not disagreeing they botched the QB room. Just saying it's way to early to judge DTR

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2023 at 10:54 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Man, you're not kidding. Basically we played with fire and hot burnt. They gambled that Watson wouldn't go down obviously that's not the case. I mean, if you're Kevin, how infuriated are you? You trade a ton of assets for a guy known for taking hits and holding the ball and then take away my experienced backup. Thanks Mr. Berry! 

How does Kevin generate points with the worst statistical QB and no Chubb? Oh, and Seattle has a terrific run defense. Time to earn that mula, Kevin! 😂

On 10/26/2023 at 1:59 PM, jiggins7919 said:

Man, you're not kidding. Basically we played with fire and hot burnt. They gambled that Watson wouldn't go down obviously that's not the case. I mean, if you're Kevin, how infuriated are you? You trade a ton of assets for a guy known for taking hits and holding the ball and then take away my experienced backup. Thanks Mr. Berry! 

How does Kevin generate points with the worst statistical QB and no Chubb? Oh, and Seattle has a terrific run defense. Time to earn that mula, Kevin! 😂

Generated 23 points with an XFL back up and 154 yards of rushing on the road (with 3 backup RBs) against a great defense, is conjuring magic to be honest. People out with the pitchforks for questionable playcalling at times. Didn't Seattle lose a SB in a similar situation with Pete Caroll who had decades of experience? Stefanski is in his 4th year, impatient Browns fans need to realize what they have instead of clamoring for a reset with a new coach.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

Generated 23 points with an XFL back up and 154 yards of rushing on the road (with 3 backup RBs) against a great defense, is conjuring magic to be honest. People out with the pitchforks for questionable playcalling at times. Didn't Seattle lose a SB in a similar situation with Pete Caroll who had decades of experience? Stefanski is in his 4th year, impatient Browns fans need to realize what they have instead of clamoring for a reset with a new coach.

Sorrry but , Kevvy ain't getting it done... He's mid tier coach

Despite what rabid Browns fans say, this might be Kevin Stefanski’s finest season

There was a time a few years ago when a certain Cleveland coach couldn’t do much of anything right to appease a rabid fan base. The Cavaliers staggered through a 15-20 stretch from December to March during what became LeBron James’ final season here as restless fans insisted coach Tyronn Lue was the problem and needed to be ousted immediately if not sooner. 

In my previous life as an NBA beat writer, I spent thousands of words in columns and on radio and television appearances insisting Lue not only wasn’t the problem, he was the one holding it all together. 

The Cavs eventually tucked in their shirts and put their shoes on the correct feet long enough to make a fourth consecutive run to the NBA Finals. 

Five years later, here we are again. Different sport, same rabid fan base. 

I’m not predicting a Super Bowl run for the Browns, but given all that has gone wrong this year, this might be coach Kevin Stefanski’s finest season as head coach. He lost his starting right tackle in the opener, franchise pillar Nick Chubb in Week 2 and franchise quarterback Deshaun Watson in Week 3.

And the Browns are 4-3. 

Watson has looked broken and ineffective for much of his time in Cleveland. After his disastrous first quarter at Indianapolis, it’s anyone’s guess at this point when he’ll return to the field, or which version we’ll see when he’s healthy. 

Yet Stefanski and one of the top defenses in the NFL have dragged the Browns to a 4-3 record and the thick of the AFC playoff race despite horrific quarterback play for most of the season. 

The Browns are 31st in offensive total pass EPA. That means they’re one of three teams, along with the New York Jets and Chicago Bears, that essentially lose points every time the quarterback drops back to pass. 

They’re 4-3.

Browns quarterbacks are dead last in the NFL in completion percentage and 29th in yards per attempt. They lead the league in turnovers, including seven in the fourth quarter. 

They’re 4-3. 

Sunday was perhaps Stefanski’s finest football hour for the first 58 minutes. After coaxing the best out of Baker Mayfield and Brissett in previous seasons, he had a vile of snake oil and a few magic beans left for P.J. Walker. Following victories over the 49ers and Colts, a practice squad quarterback was two minutes away from his third consecutive win in a Browns jersey. It was a magical combination of illusion and sleight of hand Sunday in Seattle. He nearly had the lady sawed in half when he hit an artery. Or as my colleague Zac Jackson said on our postgame podcast, Stefanski was painting his Mona Lisa until a kid spilled his pudding on it. 

The pudding, in this case, was Seahawks safety Jamal Adams’ helmet on third-and-3. 

Stefanski is 30-27 in his fourth season here. He has used eight quarterbacks to get through 57 games, a telling if not a bit misleading figure since Nick Mullens and Dorian Thompson-Robinson each started only once. 

Nevertheless, twice now Stefanski thought he had a franchise quarterback and twice he has been fooled. He arrived here expecting a long partnership with Mayfield, a quarterback drafted first overall. When that unraveled, the franchise spent $230 million and three first-round picks to acquire Watson. There is still time for Watson to fix this, but to this point, the trade has been a disaster. Stefanski has never enjoyed much stability at the most important position.

Mayfield was terrific over the second half of the 2020 season. Everything else has been severed brake lines and broken seat belts.  

Yet he continues to have this team ready to play and he consistently puts the Browns in position to win late nearly every week. The players may not love every play call either, but they fight hard and play for him. 

Did you hate watching Walker’s pass bounce off Adams’ helmet and into the arms of Seattle’s Julian Love on third-and-3? Here are the numbers you’ll love. 

Since Stefanski arrived in Cleveland in 2020, NFL teams convert 58 percent of the time when they run on third-and-3. They convert 49 percent of the time when they throw. (The Browns, incidentally, convert 57 percent of the time when they throw on third-and-3 even after that interception.)

Stefanski has made plenty of calls that have made me cringe over the years — bringing Jacoby Brissett off the bench to throw deep on fourth-and-1 at Cincinnati last year immediately comes to mind. Every coach has them.

He’s an aggressive play caller, for better or worse. He calls the game to win the game, not avoid losing it. The Browns threw on third-and-3 just a few plays before the pass that was intercepted, but nobody said a word because the Seahawks were flagged and the Browns were awarded a first down. 

Stefanski put the game in the defense’s hands against the 49ers and quarterback Brock Purdy sprinted the offense into field goal range. The Browns escaped only after the kick sailed wide. 

Needing a stop Sunday following the turnover, the defense instead allowed Seattle to average nearly 9 yards a play to score the game-winning touchdown with little resistance. 

I was ambivalent over the third-and-3 call. I see both sides. What I don’t understand is the incessant insistence the coach be fired after every loss. 

Here are the records of the coaches who were fired last year: 11-27 (Carolina’s Matt Rhule), 4-11 (Denver’s Nathaniel Hackett), 28-37-1 (Arizona’s Kliff Kingsbury), 3-13-1 (Houston’s Love Smith), 40-33-1 (Indianapolis’ Frank Reich). 

Stefanski is 30-27. The only coach fired with a winning record last year was Reich. If you want to join the company of resident NFL lunatic Jim Irsay, who fired Reich and replaced him with a television analyst whose only head-coaching experience was in high school, that’s a party I’m not attending. 

Two lousy minutes turned Stefanski’s masterpiece into mud. Throw away the canvas. Keep the painter and his brushes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Despite what rabid Browns fans say, this might be Kevin Stefanski’s finest season

There was a time a few years ago when a certain Cleveland coach couldn’t do much of anything right to appease a rabid fan base. The Cavaliers staggered through a 15-20 stretch from December to March during what became LeBron James’ final season here as restless fans insisted coach Tyronn Lue was the problem and needed to be ousted immediately if not sooner. 

In my previous life as an NBA beat writer, I spent thousands of words in columns and on radio and television appearances insisting Lue not only wasn’t the problem, he was the one holding it all together. 

The Cavs eventually tucked in their shirts and put their shoes on the correct feet long enough to make a fourth consecutive run to the NBA Finals. 

Five years later, here we are again. Different sport, same rabid fan base. 

I’m not predicting a Super Bowl run for the Browns, but given all that has gone wrong this year, this might be coach Kevin Stefanski’s finest season as head coach. He lost his starting right tackle in the opener, franchise pillar Nick Chubb in Week 2 and franchise quarterback Deshaun Watson in Week 3.

And the Browns are 4-3. 

Watson has looked broken and ineffective for much of his time in Cleveland. After his disastrous first quarter at Indianapolis, it’s anyone’s guess at this point when he’ll return to the field, or which version we’ll see when he’s healthy. 

Yet Stefanski and one of the top defenses in the NFL have dragged the Browns to a 4-3 record and the thick of the AFC playoff race despite horrific quarterback play for most of the season. 

The Browns are 31st in offensive total pass EPA. That means they’re one of three teams, along with the New York Jets and Chicago Bears, that essentially lose points every time the quarterback drops back to pass. 

They’re 4-3.

Browns quarterbacks are dead last in the NFL in completion percentage and 29th in yards per attempt. They lead the league in turnovers, including seven in the fourth quarter. 

They’re 4-3. 

Sunday was perhaps Stefanski’s finest football hour for the first 58 minutes. After coaxing the best out of Baker Mayfield and Brissett in previous seasons, he had a vile of snake oil and a few magic beans left for P.J. Walker. Following victories over the 49ers and Colts, a practice squad quarterback was two minutes away from his third consecutive win in a Browns jersey. It was a magical combination of illusion and sleight of hand Sunday in Seattle. He nearly had the lady sawed in half when he hit an artery. Or as my colleague Zac Jackson said on our postgame podcast, Stefanski was painting his Mona Lisa until a kid spilled his pudding on it. 

The pudding, in this case, was Seahawks safety Jamal Adams’ helmet on third-and-3. 

Stefanski is 30-27 in his fourth season here. He has used eight quarterbacks to get through 57 games, a telling if not a bit misleading figure since Nick Mullens and Dorian Thompson-Robinson each started only once. 

Nevertheless, twice now Stefanski thought he had a franchise quarterback and twice he has been fooled. He arrived here expecting a long partnership with Mayfield, a quarterback drafted first overall. When that unraveled, the franchise spent $230 million and three first-round picks to acquire Watson. There is still time for Watson to fix this, but to this point, the trade has been a disaster. Stefanski has never enjoyed much stability at the most important position.

Mayfield was terrific over the second half of the 2020 season. Everything else has been severed brake lines and broken seat belts.  

Yet he continues to have this team ready to play and he consistently puts the Browns in position to win late nearly every week. The players may not love every play call either, but they fight hard and play for him. 

Did you hate watching Walker’s pass bounce off Adams’ helmet and into the arms of Seattle’s Julian Love on third-and-3? Here are the numbers you’ll love. 

Since Stefanski arrived in Cleveland in 2020, NFL teams convert 58 percent of the time when they run on third-and-3. They convert 49 percent of the time when they throw. (The Browns, incidentally, convert 57 percent of the time when they throw on third-and-3 even after that interception.)

Stefanski has made plenty of calls that have made me cringe over the years — bringing Jacoby Brissett off the bench to throw deep on fourth-and-1 at Cincinnati last year immediately comes to mind. Every coach has them.

He’s an aggressive play caller, for better or worse. He calls the game to win the game, not avoid losing it. The Browns threw on third-and-3 just a few plays before the pass that was intercepted, but nobody said a word because the Seahawks were flagged and the Browns were awarded a first down. 

Stefanski put the game in the defense’s hands against the 49ers and quarterback Brock Purdy sprinted the offense into field goal range. The Browns escaped only after the kick sailed wide. 

Needing a stop Sunday following the turnover, the defense instead allowed Seattle to average nearly 9 yards a play to score the game-winning touchdown with little resistance. 

I was ambivalent over the third-and-3 call. I see both sides. What I don’t understand is the incessant insistence the coach be fired after every loss. 

Here are the records of the coaches who were fired last year: 11-27 (Carolina’s Matt Rhule), 4-11 (Denver’s Nathaniel Hackett), 28-37-1 (Arizona’s Kliff Kingsbury), 3-13-1 (Houston’s Love Smith), 40-33-1 (Indianapolis’ Frank Reich). 

Stefanski is 30-27. The only coach fired with a winning record last year was Reich. If you want to join the company of resident NFL lunatic Jim Irsay, who fired Reich and replaced him with a television analyst whose only head-coaching experience was in high school, that’s a party I’m not attending. 

Two lousy minutes turned Stefanski’s masterpiece into mud. Throw away the canvas. Keep the painter and his brushes. 

Not only that, but how many Head Coaches here have reached the playoffs since getting the team back in 1999?  Even though Stefanski had to stay home with COVID, the Browns went to Pittsburgh and won 48-37 with the game plan just 1 week after beating Pittsburgh to finish with an 11-5 record.

Right now, this is just bad luck or karma with Watson and the QB depth.  My old coach used to say "we're only as good as our last guy."  I'm still kind of creeped out by that saying because he was looking at me the last time he said it.  

• Haha 7
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

Not only that, but how many Head Coaches here have reached the playoffs since getting the team back in 1999?  Even though Stefanski had to stay home with COVID, the Browns went to Pittsburgh and won 48-37 with the game plan just 1 week after beating Pittsburgh to finish with an 11-5 record.

Right now, this is just bad luck or karma with Watson and the QB depth.  My old coach used to say "we're only as good as our last guy."  I'm still kind of creeped out by that saying because he was looking at me the last time he said it.  

There's some truth to that  Mr Flugs !   As in what our old coaches and other influential people in our lives say   (or have said)    to us.   Carry on my friend !   

AND  as always .....  GO BROWNS !

• Thanks 1

I'm not the one to say "raahhhhh fire the coaches after every loss" like 90% of fans are.   There are clear times when coaching is the issue.  Hue Jackson is the finest example on the offensive side of the ball.  I'll never forget him calling empty with a rookie Kizer, down 6 points against the Ravens from the shadow of his own goal line.  A look that we had failed on several times that game alone.

Pittsburgh has struggled with Matt Canada calling the plays for 2 years now.  They've had how many games with 375-400+ yards of total offense? One?  I've watched their games rather closely, and between his calls AND his attitude when Kenny makes a check at the line that finds success, he is absolutely the #1 issue with that offense.  

In that same time frame, with a Hurt Baker Mayfield, Brissett and an XFL QB - Stefanski and the Browns have had 15 game with 375+ yards of total offense.   

I'm not saying he's Kyle Shanahan, but Stef is far from the #1 problem with this team.  Right now, and basically since his tenure began, the QB is that #1 on the list of issues. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Saw this on social media. Didn’t fact check it, but we haven’t had a HC who got 30 or more games with a winning record since ‘the return’. 

IMG_9421.jpeg

12 coaches. Only  three (3) with a freakin'  PLUS  record !   

Geeeeezzzz.    Simple enough ?

11 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Doing some fact checking now. Robiskie was 1-4 as interim HC. Stupid memes…

https://pro-football-history.com/coach/339/terry-robiskie-bio

Remember  memes  =  cartoons.   Funny to look at but still cartoons.

And  31  are the most wins by any Cleveland BROWNS  coach since when ?      ( look it up, surprised ? )

......   edit ....  and by the end of the 2023 - 2024 season he might pass one more BIG name.

Edited by mjp28
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Saw this on social media. Didn’t fact check it, but we haven’t had a HC who got 30 or more games with a winning record since ‘the return’. 

IMG_9421.jpeg

I got a Christmas present from my Dad in 1973, a book called "Cleveland Browns, Great Teams, Great Years," by Jack Clary (I was 10).

He knew I loved the Browns, but warned me that "Art Modell ruined this team," and of course I didn't believe him, mainly because the Browns made the playoff in 1972, and at 10 years old I already knew everything lol. Turns out my Dad was right :(

Brownsrecord72.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

On 10/25/2023 at 11:59 AM, Bob806 said:

I'm not disagreeing they botched the QB room. Just saying it's way to early to judge DTR

You guys both make good points; and I'm guessing Mr Me-Aggie agrees with your point about judging DTR too early.  

Some of the preseason success we saw with him involved throwing to the group of Receivers he was used to working with in practice.  That being the case, there was familiarity and chemistry.  The week he was thrown out to the infestation of Rats - it wasn't like he practiced ALL week with the ones with the game plan.  That's why it looked like he had Tabasco Sauce or Dave's Insanity Sauce in his eyes when he had to make inexperienced split second decisions with teammates he just hasn't practiced with very often.  He's used to throwing to the scout team receivers.  If they did that to him at UCLA - he wouldn't have compiled a 70% completion rate last year. 

Beyond wishful thinking, I really think there's something there to tap if the Browns work smarter with this backup QB thing.  If they ever gave him a whole week to prepare with the starters, I don't see ANY way the upside is better with PJ Walker (unless I got that Tabasco Sause in my eyes too). The alleged experience advantage Walker has been dumpster fire make the best of it sandlot football wing-it and fling it.  Walker isn't Brissett in terms of learning from mistakes - STILL throwing across his body his body outside of the peripheral vision.  Still abruptly ending a decision to run to the daylight promising about 10 rushing yards or so to throw ill-advised passes into traffic.  Having said that, Eric Zeier once fooled the Hell out of me.  If any of you guys are old enough to remember, he looked real promising in the pre-season and I think he had real strong close in a game the Browns were getting rathoused.  When the Browns decided to let him start some games - he looked nothing like the promising versions of Zeier.  Those "we don't get fooled again" lyrics from "The Who"  didn't pertain to me.  Still getting fooled because practice makes perfect...

Get me out of this post...

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2023 at 10:54 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

It's like we kept Dobbs here for a couple years only to let him go about 1-2 months before we needed to look to him.  I'm not one to pop champagne for adding a 6th round draft pick 2 years from now.  This hasn't been the franchise finding a Tom Brady or a Terrell Davis in round 6 or a Marques Colston in round 7.  I'd rather have some FREAKIN continuity in the QB room should an injury to the starter unfolds... If this FO had foresight 20/20 - they wouldn't have to listen to our hindsight 20/20 they like refer to as white noise.

I'm just 3 box tops from Lucky Charms and countless brain cells shy of a Master's Degree from Harvard. Stay tuned..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Worth pointing out - the Seahawks, with all their offensive starters, put up the same numbers of points on the Ravens that the DTR Browns offense did. 

And the defense, which had their struggles early, gave up nearly 10 less points. 

Except what worries me is the Ravens destroyed the Seahawks, (the team we just lost to) and the week before that the Lions. Seattle got all of three points, and the Ratbirds ran roughshod over them, racking up almost 300 rushing yards. Just watching the Baltimore- Seahawk highlights, it looked similar to what the Browns did to the Cardinals. You could make the case when the weekly beauty contest, er- NFL power rankings come out tomorrow, Baltimore should get serious consideration for the top spot. 

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Except what worries me is the Ravens destroyed the Seahawks, (the team we just lost to) and the week before that the Lions. Seattle got all of three points, and the Ratbirds ran roughshod over them, racking up almost 300 rushing yards. Just watching the Baltimore- Seahawk highlights, it looked similar to what the Browns did to the Cardinals. You could make the case when the weekly beauty contest, er- NFL power rankings come out tomorrow, Baltimore should get serious consideration for the top spot. 

Baltimore has really found their stride unfortunately, but I think we match up well with them on paper - lots of speedsters on defense. Hopefully it’s a different looking game with Watson as QB. 

On the note of stefanski praise, his teams have been monumentally better against the afcn than the previous bunch of coaches.

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

You could make the case when the weekly beauty contest, er- NFL power rankings come out tomorrow, Baltimore should get serious consideration for the top spot. 

True, definitely a challenge for the Browns this week. I bet they ram it between the tackles vs CLE 70% of the time. 

Thing with the Rats is they are ultra dependent on Lamar. Without Lamar, they're ordinary at best. I can't stand him, but it looks like he's vastly improved passing it....can he do it in the playoffs has always been the question.

I don't want to steal anybody's thunder, like Zombo & his "this week in the AFC North," but I see a low scoring slugfest. The game might be over by 330 EST. Lots of rushing attempts.

Go Browns

• Upvote 2

Stefanski is closer to winning coach of the year than being in serious trouble. Have the Browns gotten lucky breaks? Absolutely. But realizing we had essentially the worst QB play in the league over the course of nearly a month and are firmly in the thick of things is a testament to the job the man is doing.

The reality is, Kev I believe is the most statistically aggressive coach in the NFL if not top 2-3. It's going to drive the ire of us fans when it doesn't work.

9 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Stefanski is closer to winning coach of the year than being in serious trouble. Have the Browns gotten lucky breaks? Absolutely. But realizing we had essentially the worst QB play in the league over the course of nearly a month and are firmly in the thick of things is a testament to the job the man is doing.

That is very true. Past Browns teams have tanked in situations like they went through the last few weeks, but they kept fighting. I've been a critic of Stefanski, but he should be giving his props for keeping the ship upright in a very trying time. That being said, it could really be undone if the Browns lose the next two games. 0-4 to the Ravens and Steelers is a horrible look. In fact, IMO losing all four games to our divisional foes, who are known for being physical teams I think could lead to a huge philosophical change by the Haslams. I wouldn't be shocked if their love of analytical minds running the team would evolve into wanting an "old-school tough guy" type of head coach. I think these next two games are enormous for this organization.

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

To me, losing to the Ravens is what it is. They are playing lights out right now, and overall are a top 2-3 team in the NFL. That loss would really pivot the focus to being a top wild card team, which would be right in front of the team given the schedule after Pittsburgh.

I definitely think though Pittsburgh is in that "must win" category. Not only are they direct competition for that WC spot, a loss to them, at home, would be a bad tone setter for the rest of the year.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

To me, losing to the Ravens is what it is. They are playing lights out right now, and overall are a top 2-3 team in the NFL. That loss would really pivot the focus to being a top wild card team, which would be right in front of the team given the schedule after Pittsburgh.

I definitely think though Pittsburgh is in that "must win" category. Not only are they direct competition for that WC spot, a loss to them, at home, would be a bad tone setter for the rest of the year.

My hope is they have peaked then stumble against us... Yeah.. Wishful thinking but... Any given Sunday , Right?