THE BROWNS BOARD

Deshaun Watson gone for the year

syd

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Hindsight won't judge the Dobbs trade well.

Yep. Berry & DePodesta are going to feel the heat & it might trickle down to Stefanski.

I think we like PJ's heart. 

Please figure out a way to win Sunday. Keep the happiness alive for one more week.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Lost nearly 40% of your starting offense for the season.  On top of that, the losses came from 4 of the biggest positions for this team.   

Just mind blowing type bad fortune. 

Dobbs doesn't have AFC North arm strength let's be honest. The Steelers had him for 5 years and he never started in relief for them. PJ Walker has the arm strength just needs to be coached into better decision making and now that the run game is better established, we should rely less on that. I'm not giving up on the season, Go Browns!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MDDawg said:

Dobbs doesn't have AFC North arm strength let's be honest. The Steelers had him for 5 years and he never started in relief for them. PJ Walker has the arm strength just needs to be coached into better decision making and now that the run game is better established, we should rely less on that. I'm not giving up on the season, Go Browns!

True, it's hindsight on Dobbs, but he's found a way to win. 

It's PJ's team now. DTR 2nd string. They'll bring somebody in but no way that guy will play anytime soon. 

29 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Yep. Berry & DePodesta are going to feel the heat & it might trickle down to Stefanski.

I think we like PJ's heart. 

Please figure out a way to win Sunday. Keep the happiness alive for one more week.

Can't question PJs effort or toughness.  He was beside himself at the end of the Seahawks game, he wants so badly to win and prove himself.  

PIT +2.   You have to split with every team in the division and win, at minimum, 2 more games.  That puts you at 9-8 and a good shot for a wild card.   Downside is, the schedule is brutal. The Broncos have found their way back from 0-3 and are playing good ball.  The Jets defense will keep them in most any game, provided their offense doesn't turn the damn ball over.  The Bengals have some health issues on their Dline, but you never count out Joey Buckets.   You have an ascending Texans squad with a rookie revelation at QB that have their eyes set on a possible wildcard shot as well. 

The Rams, without Stafford, a beatup Coop and questionable running game are looking like the best shot at the moment.  A farcry from where we were just a month ago. 

That matters little unless you find a way to win, and likely win VERY ugly, at home this Sunday. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bbedward said:

Well, it was a good season while it lasted. I, for one, have absolutely 0 confidence in PJ Walker taking us anywhere. They need to bring in a Foles or someone like that at this point.

Him or Matt Ryan.. Sad truth is their eyes have gotten slower... I'm not confident either way...

6 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

Dobbs doesn't have AFC North arm strength let's be honest. The Steelers had him for 5 years and he never started in relief for them. 

"AFC North arm strength" is a top 10 cliche' in all of football.  Dobbs had better or on par combine velocity than... 

- Watson 

- Lamar

- Tyrod Taylor 

- Dwayne Haskins 

- Trubisky

All played in, or thought of, as "RAWR AFCN QBS".  

What matters most is..

- IQ

- processing speed

- timing/anticipation

- ball placement 

- consistency 

Velocity being a distant 6th down that list. To the point where, all of the hardest throwing Browns QBs, most have been some of the worst we've had, save for Baker and maybe Derek Anderson.   

PJ lacks the traits I listed to play at a consistently decent level at the moment. Physically he's capable, but so were hundreds, thousands, before him that didn't cut it.   There's a reason old school Browns fans praise Bernie's football IQ above all.  His arm was average at best, but his mind made up for it.  In the NFL, the other way does not work. 

As for Dobbs not starting - he was behind Ben who the Steelers were going to let ride off into the sunset on his terms. Which is par the course for that organization.  So no, he was never going to challenge for a starting spot, especially after they sunk a first round pick into Kenny. 

So DTR gets to start against Ravens and then Steelers? Sounds about right. I'm gonna go kick myself in the nuts now so I can feel better. 

• Haha 1

DTR is the best option we have, not like that’s saying much. Walker is what he is, a practice squad QB who couldn’t even make the bears roster this year. At least DTR is a rookie with a chance to grow and get better.

But I hope Berry swallows his pride and brings in one of the vet options. Foles seems like the best of the weak options we have.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Lost nearly 40% of your starting offense for the season.  On top of that, the losses came from 4 of the biggest positions for this team.   

Just mind blowing type bad fortune. 

LOL!!! Ya think?  I try not to overreact to bad Browns news... But not this time. Arm strength or not, what the f**k was Berry thinking not bringing Dobbs back before the trade deadline?  MHO is he should be fired for GM incompetence. Like there was ZERO chance Watson couldn't get hurt again? Dobbs isn't Pat Mahomes, but he's a damnsite better than trusting the rest of your season to a practice squad XFL quarterback, or hoping DTR can grow up in a big hurry. 

What REALLY pisses me off tia, based on what the Vikings gave up to get Dobbs (the proverbial sack of seeds) Berry could EASILY have had Josh for one of his two precious 5th round picks.   🤬🤬🤬 .  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

So DTR gets to start against Ravens and then Steelers? Sounds about right. I'm gonna go kick myself in the nuts now so I can feel better. 

Personally, I'd rather see DTR in there instead of Walker. I've already seen too much of PJ throwing balls in the dirt, or missing receivers by 5 yards.  When you can't make the Bears roster, 'nuff said.  😉

Where is Carson Wentz these days? Why the Rams signed him from FA on Nov 8, just last week. Berry is a fucking idiot.

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

LOL!!! Ya think?  I try not to overreact to bad Browns news... But not this time. Arm strength or not, what the F**k was Berry thinking not bringing Dobbs back before the trade deadline?  MHO is he should be fired for GM incompetence. Like there was ZERO chance Watson couldn't get hurt again? Dobbs isn't Pat Mahomes, but he's a damnsite better than trusting the rest of your season to a practice squad XFL quarterback, or hoping DTR can grow up in a big hurry. 

What REALLY pisses me off tia, based on what the Vikings gave up to get Dobbs (the proverbial sack of seeds) Berry could EASILY have had Josh for one of his two precious 5th round picks.   🤬🤬🤬 .  

• Upvote 1