THE BROWNS BOARD

Deshaun Watson gone for the year

syd

So many have waxed so poetically about the shit sandwich that has been served to the Browns - players, coaches and fans. I've nothing further to add, but will quote on of the great intellects of our time, Daniel Simpson Day...

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Checking shoulder anatomy, the glenoid bone is what your shoulder socket sits in...  "Displaced" means it's not just fractured, but the parts of the bone aren't together anymore. I'm not going to Buy Berry's rose colored glasses assessment either. Shit, you can get surgical scarring, adhesions, or early onset arthriti

So ? has a qb ever needed this kind of surgery before ? and if so how did he play afterwards ?

1 hour ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Something stinks.

1) Watson had a rotator cuff injury o n his right shoulder, but it healed.

2) In his first game back he sustained a broken bone in the same shoulder?

Translation: He had a broken bone all along. Sorry, but lightening doesn't strike twice.

What a sad mess this is for Browns fans

I saw where they are trying to say it had nothing to do with the first injury 

Something stinks.

1) Watson had a rotator cuff injury o n his right shoulder, but it healed.

2) In his first game back he sustained a broken bone in the same shoulder?

Translation: He had a broken bone all along. Sorry, but lightening doesn't strike twice.

What a sad mess this is for Browns fans

You're at higher risk for injury if you are already injured. There's inflammation and your body compensates in ways that fuck with good mechanics to avoid pain. That said, fracturing the glenoid is incredibly rare and takes a tremendous amount of force where your shoulder is typically getting pushed toward the torso. I personally don't think they're related or that a smaller fracture was hidden from Vegas. Given how hard he was hit, I wouldn't be surprised if this would've caused a glenoid fracture if he was completely healthy. 

I think this is the hit that caused the injury. Matches the mechanism of injury for a glenoid fracture. Hopefully this doesn't end his throwing career. He's probably going to need it nailed in place. I don't even know of a single case of this happening to another QB. 

Here's some technical reading on case studies of elite rugby/soccer athletes with the injury. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6887832/  I can't find a single article about a pro/college quarterback or baseball player with this injury. That's how rare it is.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Richiswhere said:

Not sure what the big deal is Watson's stats are almost exactly the same as last year.

Here's Watson's stats over his last three complete games:

66 completions, 97 attempts (68.0% comp %), 721 yards, 5 touchdowns, 1 interception, 7.4 yds/att and 15 rushes for 75 yards. 

Even injured, he was trending up. 

• Upvote 1

Almost 12 hours I don’t feel any better….another 24 hours I might get out of denial and start to optimistically assess.  DTR can’t be this bad…not a lot film on him at this level and he had 50 starts at UCLA…Stef is in the lab watching Chip Kelly offenses.  We got a defense, run game and special teams.

Let me be bipolar for a second…How about Tom Brady becomes the GOAT of All GOATs of everything and plays a slightly better version of Trent Dilfer and leads the way to a SB victory?

4 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Let me be bipolar for a second…How about Tom Brady becomes the GOAT of All GOATs of everything and plays a slightly better version of Trent Dilfer and leads the way to a SB victory?

I'll take one any way we can get one!

1 hour ago, VaporTrail said:

You're at higher risk for injury if you are already injured. There's inflammation and your body compensates in ways that fuck with good mechanics to avoid pain. That said, fracturing the glenoid is incredibly rare and takes a tremendous amount of force where your shoulder is typically getting pushed toward the torso. I personally don't think they're related or that a smaller fracture was hidden from Vegas. Given how hard he was hit, I wouldn't be surprised if this would've caused a glenoid fracture if he was completely healthy. 

I think this is the hit that caused the injury. Matches the mechanism of injury for a glenoid fracture. Hopefully this doesn't end his throwing career. He's probably going to need it nailed in place. I don't even know of a single case of this happening to another QB. 

Here's some technical reading on case studies of elite rugby/soccer athletes with the injury. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6887832/  I can't find a single article about a pro/college quarterback or baseball player with this injury. That's how rare it is.

No cigar. You are even contradicting yourself. If the previous condition, as you say, made Watson more likely to get a worse injury, why the fuck was the 230 million dollar man allowed to play?

Having a strained weakened joint or was it a hit?

Let me give you the official diagnosis. It is called BULLSHIT. My best friend is an accomplished orthopedic surgeon..He calls this bullshit.

Berry is too arrogant to get anybody, unless Haslam twists his arm I bet he leaves stefanski with DTR, Walker, and a third practice squad nobody.

Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Nick Foles are probably the best realistic options. McCoy has a noodle arm but doesn’t turn the ball over which may be enough too. But again, I suspect Berry wants to prove to everybody he found a diamond in DTR. Which I hope is true, I’m just doubtful. 

Browns GM Andrew Berry says team will add QB 'in the near future'

Browns GM Andrew Berry says team will add QB 'in the near future' (msn.com)

Browns fans were blindsided Wednesday morning when they learned that quarterback Deshaun Watson will undergo shoulder surgery and miss the remainder of the 2023 season. After the best game of his Browns tenure and fans believing the team is a contender, and it all changed in the blink of an eye.

Speaking with the media following the announcement, general manager Andrew Berry said the team will add another QB in the near future. The biggest question will be are they adding a new player to be the starter or will it just be a depth move?

The Browns should look for a veteran starter. With the way the defense is playing and the pieces around the quarterback, average play is all this team needs. They cannot move forward with P.J. Walker as the starter and think they will be successful. There are not a ton of options out there that make sense, and any addition likely won’t be ready to play this week.

It’s not time to punt on the season just yet but a move absolutely must be made.

No cigar. You are even contradicting yourself. If the previous condition, as you say, made Watson more likely to get a worse injury, why the fuck was the 230 million dollar man allowed to play?

Having a strained weakened joint or was it a hit?

Let me give you the official diagnosis. It is called BULLSHIT. My best friend is an accomplished orthopedic surgeon..He calls this bullshit.

No contradiction, chief. Just because you're more likely to get injured, doesn't mean you're more likely to get that specific injury. The rotator cuff is soft tissue and the glenoid is a bone. You can get a cuff tear from overuse, landing on it funny, getting hit while throwing, and a thousand other ways. The only way to get a glenoid fracture is with a shit ton of force. 

Why was the $230 million dollar QB allowed to play? Because good ol Jimmy didn't pay him $230 mil to ride the pine. 

• Upvote 1

I was at work when I read the news on Twitter. Sware to God I almost stroked out. So close to making a serious playoff run........evan without Nick Chubb...... I don't know what we as Browns fans collectively did to deserve this......but the Football Gods can go fuck themselves. No fanbase deserves this. Other teams players commit rape, murder, assault........ And win at least 1 Super Bowl. Browns........nope 10 more years of purgatory......

10 hours ago, AP1 said:

So many have waxed so poetically about the shit sandwich that has been served to the Browns - players, coaches and fans. I've nothing further to add, but will quote on of the great intellects of our time, Daniel Simpson Day...

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Just pissed myself reading that, no wonder I've never heard of this Simpson Day fellow.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1