THE BROWNS BOARD

It’s Flacco Time

Ibleedbrown

16 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Just saw a thing on ESPN, he’s starting against the Rams.

Flacc ‘em, jack ‘em…

No surprise... 

I just hope he's not musty and rusty....  And please stay upright Joe..  I've seen more than enough of Walker to know he doesn't belong on an NFL field.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-qb-joe-flacco-to-start-vs-rams-dorian-thompson-robinson-concussion-ruled-

So hello Joe, what do you know?
Heard ya just got back from a Bloodhound show
Did you do the Batussi or did you do the Hustle?
Did you do the Flamin' Waffle or the Super Bowl Shuffle?
No matter what you did you're gonna be amused
If you were not entertained you did not drink enough booze.

48 minutes ago, syd said:

coop said. watching joe throw was like poetry in motion 

I believe Joe will probably be refreshing to watch on some plays, he will actually make the correct reads and throw downfield - which as much as I like DTR, is not something he’s doing well (yet). The main question mark is his pocket mobility these days, in a clean pocket I’m sure he’d be able to make all the throws, but that’s rarely the case in the NFL - need the awareness and footwork to navigate the bodies.

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

In the world of clutch at straws that is our active QB situation, I am a little more hopeful about Flacco right now than DTR, and a lot more than Walker. Bring it on!

Go Browns!

INDEED! This refreshing news is a lot more stress free than the recent alternatives we've had KD.  I think there was a movie called 'Waiting to Exhale' that came out about the same year we got the news the Browns were moving to Baltimore.  Never saw it, but watching PJ Walker navigate the pocket and reading his progressions like a dyslexic Flugel with blindfolds on sure put the wait on the exhale.  The announcement Flacco is starting just gave 1 fanbase permission to exhale again.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, syd said:

coop said. watching joe throw was like poetry in motion 

They didn't post the other part of the quote, though. "Watching him try to run is like rooting for the one-armed man in a clapping contest." 

• Haha 2

Having Joe will be tough on our O line at first.. They're just gonna have to maintain their assignments longer than they normally like.. Lets hope Joe's eyes still fast enough to process his reads...

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, nickers said:

Having Joe will be tough on our O line at first.. They're just gonna have to maintain their assignments longer than they normally like.. Lets hope Joe's eyes still fast enough to process his reads...

Hopefully his wealth of experience will expedite the progression reads and throws that we've missed with the backups Nicks.  Key word in that sentence is Hopefully.

• Upvote 2

While I'm a fan of this decision and think it's the best option (careful what you wish for) I have to wonder why it was announced so early? While I'm sure the Goats were prepping for Flacco, I would've kept them in the dark and fed 'em shit right up until kickoff. 

Probably not a huge deal, but it's the little things that can add up to big things like an opening drive TD. 

Anyway, super excited to see what Joe can do and what Kevin can call in terms of a game plan..... Hopefully not going a full 50 pass attempts to try and cross them up.  

• Upvote 1

This is weird, having Flacco play for the Browns, but not as weird as it would be if it had been Roethlisberger.

It kind of feels like it was a decade ago the last time Flacco played for the Ravens. It feels like Jackson has been there forever. 

While people are correctly skeptical of 38 y/o Joe Flacco returning to 2012 form, it’s important to remember that it’s hard to be worse than DTR and Walker have been.

While we like DTR, he is not at the level of an nfl starter. Can Flacco average better than a 55 QBR, almost certainly id say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

This is weird,

I'll second that!

...but if there is a Football God...it would be fitting if the guy who brought what USED to be Browns a Superbowl, brings one to what IS the Browns.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Flugel said:

Hopefully his wealth of experience will expedite the progression reads and throws that we've missed with the backups Nicks.  Key word in that sentence is Hopefully.

And he played with Elijah Moore in New York, so maybe that will jump start Moore's season for the final month? Maybe? Possibly? Hopefully? 

8 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

And he played with Elijah Moore in New York, so maybe that will jump start Moore's season for the final month? Maybe? Possibly? Hopefully? 

I think some of Moore’s best games in NY came with Flacco.

Jets fans don’t have very fond memories of Flacco though, most I’ve heard from think he can do well with a better o-line though. And maybe a better offensive coach, seeing the dumpster fire that the jets offense continues to be

14 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

3 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Jets fans don’t have very fond memories of Flacco though, most I’ve heard from think he can do well with a better o-line though. And maybe a better offensive coach, seeing the dumpster fire that the jets offense continues to be

Combining these,^^ continues to blur my mind of what Flacco can do with wildcard playoff games on the line..

1) Great ! Hopefully yes ! Berry see's Joe Flacco as a major upgrade over PJ Walker..

a) Both us & Jets have good defenses..

b) Browns patched up OL slightly better than Jets..but barely in top 10 in the league

c) Amari Cooper vs Garrett Wilson maybe the closest thing to a wash ? imo

So whats Flacco's 1-8 record at Jets going to cleanup in a better run offense over Jets going to do?

Stay tuned,,, Hey Joe ! spread the ball around & let's see who's middle offensive depth might be better?

Flacco needs to be a big part of a winning a split out west.. because,  Who's ready for DTR returning vs Jags next week ? 

Let's Go Joe !  Finish drives & Score Touchdowns !

2 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Combining these,^^ continues to blur my mind of what Flacco can do with wildcard playoff games on the line..

1) Great ! Hopefully yes ! Berry see's Joe Flacco as a major upgrade over PJ Walker..

a) Both us & Jets have good defenses..

b) Browns patched up OL slightly better than Jets..but barely in top 10 in the league

c) Amari Cooper vs Garrett Wilson maybe the closest thing to a wash ? imo

So whats Flacco's 1-8 record at Jets going to cleanup in a better run offense over Jets going to do?

Stay tuned,,, Hey Joe ! spread the ball around & let's see who's middle offensive depth might be better?

Flacco needs to be a big part of a winning a split out west.. because,  Who's ready for DTR returning vs Jags next week ? 

Let's Go Joe !  Finish drives & Score Touchdowns !

I disagree on browns o-line barely top 10, pretty sure when you look around the league they are a top unit. Even with big thanos and the backup LT. It’s an astronomically better unit than the Jets of last year and even this year.

Pretty sure they grade closer to top 5 than top 10 on pff. Naturally the weakest spot has been the tackles though. I think Wills comes off IR soon, maybe next week? They could help a little.

Most QBs are playing behind worse lines than the browns this year, though.

21 minutes ago, bbedward said:

I think Wills comes off IR soon, maybe next week? They could help a little.

TBH, I think Geron Christian has done a good job. Possibly better than Wills, who 6 penalties in 8 starts this season. And they tend to come at the most awful time, negating 1st downs or even TDs. Christian has only penalty in 3 starts. Wills and Hudson seem like the liabilities.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

TBH, I think Geron Christian has done a good job. Possibly better than Wills, who 6 penalties in 8 starts this season. And they tend to come at the most awful time, negating 1st downs or even TDs. Christian has only penalty in 3 starts. Wills and Hudson seem like the liabilities.   

I definitely hope they add another OLineman or two in the upcoming draft.

Conklin is on fumes, Wills is Wills, and Bitonio can't play forever. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bbedward said:

I disagree on browns o-line barely top 10, pretty sure when you look around the league they are a top unit. Even with big thanos and the backup LT. It’s an astronomically better unit than the Jets of last year and even this year.

Two lines, caught up in what 2 different playing style starting QB's had plans on doing..                 label.. delayed construction.. 

But, Yes! The Browns OL ranks no where near the bottom with the Jets nor Panthers OL's this season

Philly,Detroit,Baltimore,KC, Dallas,49'ers are my top 6 OL's

Browns,Colts, Bucs, Miami, Chargers, Bills fills to 12   

Flacco made one boneheaded decision in an otherwise great outing. Keep it rollin’ - the late decision and not looking at the safety is the rust, I’d question the play call to go verticals there but maybe the coaches saw something.

I know there’s a DTR vs Flacco debate bound to ramp up this week, it’ll be Flacco. DTR is a late round rookie project, the browns have more urgency to win now than develop him.

No hate for DTR, he is what he is - a late round project with a high upside. They have no rush to develop him, since they have Watson for the next few years.

Joe looked like he was having fun out there, you can tell the guy loves playing the game.

7 hours ago, bbedward said:

Flacco made one boneheaded decision in an otherwise great outing. Keep it rollin’ - the late decision and not looking at the safety is the rust, I’d question the play call to go verticals there but maybe the coaches saw something.

I know there’s a DTR vs Flacco debate bound to ramp up this week, it’ll be Flacco. DTR is a late round rookie project, the browns have more urgency to win now than develop him.

No hate for DTR, he is what he is - a late round project with a high upside. They have no rush to develop him, since they have Watson for the next few years.

Joe looked like he was having fun out there, you can tell the guy loves playing the game.

Flacco should start the rest of the season, unless he also gets injured. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1