THE BROWNS BOARD

It’s Flacco Time

Ibleedbrown

9 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Is this a trick question?  Yeah - unless Pickett and Trubisky are just kidding every time their fans are booing the Hell out of them.  Flacco has a Super Bowl W and a huge raise because of it (unlike Dilfer had there). As recently as last year, he threw 4 TD passes on our secondary at full strength (at least physically) and he threw for over 300 yards doing so.  You saw our 1st drive last Sunday and that was a rusty version of Flacco.  Pittsburgh doesn't have anything close at QB.  Arizona just clobbered them.

I read it wrong, mY BAD , I read it as on our roster. so nothing to see here.carry on

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

DTR is a rookie with a 2-1 record on a team where almost all of the premier players are on IR or banged up in some form. I don't even get where this asinine shit that DTR isn't even a servicable QB comes from. He's already doing better than any Cleveland rookie QB that has strolled through here in the past. Imagine the pressure of taking over a team that has a winning record and the disasterous outing he had in his first start. I think he handles the pressure well and actually wants to improve and do good. Flacco is a wiley old veteran with a Super Bowl ring and invaluable experience at the twilight of his career. I just want them to put whatever guy who gives us the best chance on the field. Seriously, the thought that DTR couldn't win us a couple of more games is just utterly ridiculous.

He’s pretty much the second worst QB in the nfl this year by every metric, followed by PJ Walker. Can he win us a couple more games against weak opponents…probably. The browns will push for more until they’re ruled out though.

DTR has a great attitude and I want him to do well, though. You don’t draft 5th round guys and expect them to light it up their rookie year or anything which is fine, he can marinate behind Flacco and Watson and get the occasional pre-season and garbage time reps as he works on his game. They could possibly mix him in on some snaps too to mix it up, especially with the bad weather game this weekend. 

The offense we saw against the Steelers though is only an offense capable of beating teams with garbage offenses (like the Steelers, and the upcoming jets)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bbedward said:

He’s pretty much the second worst QB in the nfl this year by every metric, followed by PJ Walker.

Yeah, we ain't goin' anywhere if we have to play either of those 2 guys at this point in time.

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

DTR will be fine Neo!  I'm glad he got experience this season.  Right now, it would be nice for him to learn from a vet like Flacco.  This is going to be an invaluable experience for DTR this year both on and off the bench.

I know., I just wish he would get his due credit. He beat two of our most hated rivals. Both of them have had our number for the past 20 years. I know the Steelers aren't quite the same but they do have a winning record. And he beat the Ravens in Baltimore which is a tough place to win. I'm not saying this kid is going to go on to have a hall of fame career or anything, but he's tough. He took it on the chin in that first Ravens game and went and beat them in their house. That has to stand for something.

27 minutes ago, Neo said:

I know., I just wish he would get his due credit. He beat two of our most hated rivals. Both of them have had our number for the past 20 years. I know the Steelers aren't quite the same but they do have a winning record. And he beat the Ravens in Baltimore which is a tough place to win. I'm not saying this kid is going to go on to have a hall of fame career or anything, but he's tough. He took it on the chin in that first Ravens game and went and beat them in their house. That has to stand for something.

Watson beat the ravens with a 14/14 second half, not DTR. Steelers yes, though. But that was playing not to lose. Which is kinda funny since the Steelers played Pickett the same way.

4 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Watson beat the ravens with a 14/14 second half, not DTR. Steelers yes, though. But that was playing not to lose. Which is kinda funny since the Steelers played Pickett the same way.

My fault. Been so many players in and out of the lineup I can't keep track of it all. It been a crazy season.

1 minute ago, Neo said:

My fault. Been so many players in and out of the lineup I can't keep track of it all. It been a crazy season.

Very true 🙃 that was the game he broke his shoulder.

I like DTR, I just think this team can’t make a playoff push with him this year (though maybe not without him either)

On 12/5/2023 at 5:55 PM, bbedward said:

There’s a lot that went wrong, usually teams can overcome 1 bad turnover. I think that throw was probably actually a result of his rust, missing the safety that was sitting deep, and just making the decision way too late.

You're absolutely right. Our margin of error starting a 4th string QB on the road was essentially razor thin, and that turnover broke the dam. 

You guys might know already know, but we're set to have a REAL weather dumpster fire Sunday. The kind of game that irritates a large portion of fans because we don't have a dome. The "12-6" type games where you basically can't pass the ball. Do you start a faster QB so he can run a few times since you can't pass? I don't know. I absolutely detest poor weather games...feels like they rob the fans of what football is supposed to be. 

We shall see, weather can change and often does. I just hope we figure out how to win so the season doesn't feel over. Lots of questions about our personnel upcoming. Our high-prices interior OL is NOT playing up to their price tags. I'm not happy with Ford, at all, but he had NOWHERE to go. We still can't get the ball to Njoku. Our CB depth got roasted. 

We need people to make big plays, and it's not happening. Myles is hurt, not his fault. He's fighting, but it's apparent he's not ok. 

8 hours ago, Neo said:

It has indeed!   It isn't like we have Andy Reid in charge of the offense either.  There seems to be just as much of a learning curve for this offensive coaching staff with all the change and the mixing and matching of personnel with the situational football at hand. For example, when you have backup offensive tackles trying to pass protect the edges and the guy in charge of the play calling sentences a QB like PJ Walker or even an inexperienced rookie QB to an empty backfield - it's like asking someone to sky dive without the parachute.  

There's a lot of dynamics in this whole thing that keep me from jumping to a quick conclusion about an inexperienced guy who completed 70% of his passes just last year (at UCLA) woke up a QB struggling to be accurate this year. See Troy Aikman as a rookie in Dallas with many in that fanbase actually wanting Steve Walsh to be their QB at the time. That went nothing like the HOF career that followed right?   Anyway, when DTR's back was to the wall against Pittsburgh with no more margin of error left on the Browns final drive - he completed the throws and moved the chains.  He drove the Browns all the way down the field into a chip shot FG attempt. This many games into Tom Brady's rookie season as a 6th round draft pick - he hadn't even played his first game yet - same with Patrick Mahomes.  Smart/Seasoned Head Coaches and organizations do that kind of thing.  In other words, if they had a guy like Dobbs here learning the offense last year and throughout training camp - they don't trade him away for a future late round draft pick that might not even make the team.  Instead, you finally cash in on WHY he was here with the comfort of knowing he knows the offense and his teammates he has to throw to.  DTR's 1st start - he was told on game day "Guess what?  You're starting today!"  That could have been fine if it wasn't against the team leading the NFL in sacks; and if he actually practiced with the starting Receivers instead of on the scout team offense with backup/practice squad receivers.  What were the chances chemistry was going to be possible that day?

CJ Stroud had all of the OTAs/Mini-camps, training camp and preseason working with the starters; so the chemistry came a lot easier.  Not only that, he was the 2nd QB drafted overall so there was an expectation for him to start as a rookie; and be ready to do so the 1st time the organization wanted/needed him to.  Nothing like that happened here with DTR. It wasn't like Brady watching Bledsoe his entire rookie year except for 3 pass attempts in the final game.  Our starter went on IR so the rookie was put in an unreasonable situation IMO. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

You're absolutely right. Our margin of error starting a 4th string QB on the road was essentially razor thin, and that turnover broke the dam. 

You guys might know already know, but we're set to have a REAL weather dumpster fire Sunday. The kind of game that irritates a large portion of fans because we don't have a dome. The "12-6" type games where you basically can't pass the ball. Do you start a faster QB so he can run a few times since you can't pass? I don't know. I absolutely detest poor weather games...feels like they rob the fans of what football is supposed to be. 

We shall see, weather can change and often does. I just hope we figure out how to win so the season doesn't feel over. Lots of questions about our personnel upcoming. Our high-prices interior OL is NOT playing up to their price tags. I'm not happy with Ford, at all, but he had NOWHERE to go. We still can't get the ball to Njoku. Our CB depth got roasted. 

We need people to make big plays, and it's not happening. Myles is hurt, not his fault. He's fighting, but it's apparent he's not ok. 

Yea Sunday will be interesting, rain doesn’t really hinder QBs ability to throw though (unless you’re burrow with tiny hands). The bigger problem is wind and rain affecting the accuracy, and receivers dropping it. Flacco will have to sling bullets, and hopefully not 40 times 🙃

Jags have a speedster back, the type our defense has struggled with. I’d like to see more strong for how well he accelerates and his vision - the one drive he played our run game became successful.

It looks like we’re getting some guys back this week though, like Goodwin and Ward (cooper is practicing so probably late stages of protocol too). Goodwin may finally provide some value, we’ll see.

9 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Yea Sunday will be interesting, rain doesn’t really hinder QBs ability to throw though (unless you’re burrow with tiny hands). The bigger problem is wind and rain affecting the accuracy, and receivers dropping it. Flacco will have to sling bullets, and hopefully not 40 times 🙃

Jags have a speedster back, the type our defense has struggled with. I’d like to see more strong for how well he accelerates and his vision - the one drive he played our run game became successful.

It looks like we’re getting some guys back this week though, like Goodwin and Ward (cooper is practicing so probably late stages of protocol too). Goodwin may finally provide some value, we’ll see.

Thanks!  I think I saw rookie CB Cameron Mitchell also returned to practice.  This guy was having a really good year and I think we've seen how much we missed him in the situational matchup dynamics.  

6 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

This is the weirdest fucking team of all time. Flacco starts, now he is on the masturbation bench in favor of DTR. I guess that means DTR IS the guy. 

Flacco in Italian translates to "flaccid" as in flimsy, so I'm not sure about the masturbation thing.

Oh just saw Flacco is taking the first team reps in practice, DTR hasn't cleared protocol yet, probably will by the end of the week since he's cleared to practice - is taking second team reps. Seems like the QB decision has been made.

My guess is they are waiting on DTR to fully clear, and their intention is probably to cut Walker and re-sign him to the PS once that happens. Giving Flacco Walker's roster spot.

41 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Oh just saw Flacco is taking the first team reps in practice, DTR hasn't cleared protocol yet, probably will by the end of the week since he's cleared to practice - is taking second team reps. Seems like the QB decision has been made.

My guess is they are waiting on DTR to fully clear, and their intention is probably to cut Walker and re-sign him to the PS once that happens. Giving Flacco Walker's roster spot.

Agreed. You can see Joe in action here. Already liked his performance last week, and with another week of 1st team practice, it can only get better!