THE BROWNS BOARD

"Official" 🏈  ▪︎ NFL WEEK 17 ▪︎ JETS -at- BROWNS (-7½)  🏈 "The" J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets Thread

Dutch Oven

17 minutes ago, syd said:

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Elijah Moore has been released from the hospital after suffering a head injury in Thursday night's game against the New York Jets,

Oh yes ..... that close up camera shot of Moore going into the  BROWNS  locker room showed his face ..... he most definately had a  " head injury "  alright.   It's a good thing the entire  BROWNS team has 10 days  off until the next  "meaningless"  pro football game.     

41 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yes ..... that close up camera shot of Moore going into the  BROWNS  locker room showed his face ..... he most definately had a  " head injury "  alright.   It's a good thing the entire  BROWNS team has 10 days  off until the last  "meaningless"  pro football game.     

hey you know something. I am good either way  with a raven w or  L on sunday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, syd said:

hey you know something. I am good either way  with a raven w or  L on sunday

Sure, they W and we can rest some guys which is good. But I’m much gooder with an L than a W, even though I don’t think they’d lose to Pittsburgh - I’d rather them not get the luxury to rest guys.

7 hours ago, bbedward said:

Skyline chili is generic Midwest spaghetti, don’t worry you’re not missing anything. You can also get it in Cleveland since they have locations there but it wouldn’t be anywhere close to my list of places to visit for food in the city

I wouldn’t go out of my way for Skyline chili, it’s not even in my top 25 list of foods to try while in NEO.

I approve of the game thread turning into a bash skyline chili thread 

It’s the worst regional food in the USA and I’m ashamed it’s associated with Ohio instead of Kentucky.

If Joe Flacco eats that shit he’s going to tank the first round and never come back to Ohio again. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Flugel said:

Good points KD!  There's another important scenario to consider: Would you rather play AT KC in the 3rd seed or at the AFC South Winner in the 4th seed in round 1?   If the Browns lose at Cincy and Buffalo wins out - the Browns could play AT KC instead of Jax or Indy.  As good as we look at home - they got beat at Denver, LA and Seattle where the officials were more than happy to flag the Browns.  KC has a post season home field advantage that has put them in 3 Super Bowls.  Not only that, the last time we made the playoffs - KC ended us.  You can't afford to start drives 1st and 15 there from the crowd noise induced false starts.  As you can tell by the tantrum Mahomes threw when his WR lined up offsides by a couple feet - they're not used to getting flagged for the things the rest of the league does.  That KC stuff is a package deal where you play against the team + the crowd noise + the officials consistently rewarding the home team with the benefit of every doubt unfolding.  Remember the head to head collision where Hollywood Higgins fumble the ball into the end zone from 1 inch shy of the goal line?  No penalty awarded and KC got the ball with the touchback.  Browns lost a close game and that was point swing necessary to kick us out of the playoffs.

Of course, because I'm reminding you of all that - watch the winner of the AFC South finish with a better record than KC. As I said earlier in this thread, this team has a 9-10 day rest between yesterday and the game at Cincy.  I think we should get starters some action and substitute as necessary.

The other scenario is seeing the Ratbirds inexplicably lose 2 games in a row; especially if that would turn them into a wildcard team that would have to play on the road.  I think we have a better chance at seeing reindeer fly this time of year than watching the Rats lose 2 in a row.  When it comes to making predictions though - I'm more Nostradumbass than Nostradamus.  

Nope, regarding AFCS- Lawrence is out against the woeful Panthers, and they have won a couple games this season. Yeah the Chiefs are on the skids, but I don't see them losing to the Bengals Sunday...  I did see that the Bengals would make the playoffs if they win out... Don't see that happening...  

8 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

@Flugel just entered scenarios in this nifty tool: https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Even if Buffalo wins its remaining two and we lose at Cincy, we remain the 5th seed. We play either Jags, Colts or Texans, depending on their results. 

If we win the last game, we need the Ratbirds to lose both to become the #1 seed. Unlikely, but far from impossible, because both the Fins (seeding/ hf advantage) and Steelers (making the playoffs at all) have everything to play for. 

Based on risk-reward however, I would be inclined to agree with the bubble wrap suggestion made earlier. 

If the Browns and Bills end up with the same record, the Browns get the nod because of better Conference record. 

The more confusing scenario is if Miami loses twice, and we lose to the Bengals, both teams at 11-6... Somehow  Cleveland would still get the #5 seed. That could well happen.   

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’m getting way ahead of things but who cares.

As a 5 seed (we will remain there) I still think we could host the AFC Championship against the Bills.

I think you could get 1,000:1 odds of that in Vegas. Said it elsewhere.   I'll let you play with a playoff simulator, but It would involve the Bills falling to the #7 seed and knocking off the #2 and #1 seeds.  Of course the Browns would have to beat the #4, and then #3 (or #6). Not impossible that the Browns and Bills could play one another in the second round though. 

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

OH Yes,  .... and there is some great food in and around the city of Cleveland, OH.  Don't worry about that at all,  and I would NOT miss out of that Skyline chili ....  not one bit.   

I agree with BB, dumping chili on top of a pile of spaghetti may be original, but I consider the stuff garbage. It's a local thing, just like Tony Packo's hot dogs are an item in Toledo. It took me years to figure out what the draw was there... 

36 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Nope, regarding AFCS- Lawrence is out against the woeful Panthers, and they have won a couple games this season. Yeah the Chiefs are on the skids, but I don't see them losing to the Bengals Sunday...  I did see that the Bengals would make the playoffs if they win out... Don't see that happening...  

If the Browns and Bills end up with the same record, the Browns get the nod because of better Conference record. 

The more confusing scenario is if Miami loses twice, and we lose to the Bengals, both teams at 11-6... Somehow  Cleveland would still get the #5 seed. That could well happen.   

I think you could get 1,000:1 odds of that in Vegas. Said it elsewhere.   I'll let you play with a playoff simulator, but It would involve the Bills falling to the #7 seed and knocking off the #2 and #1 seeds.  Of course the Browns would have to beat the #4, and then #3 (or #6). Not impossible that the Browns and Bills could play one another in the second round though. 

I agree with BB, dumping chili on top of a pile of spaghetti may be original, but I consider the stuff garbage. It's a local thing, just like Tony Packo's hot dogs are an item in Toledo. It took me years to figure out what the draw was there... 

The draw of Tony Packo's was Jamie Farr of Mash is from Toledo and his signed picture hangs there... I've been there...

14 hours ago, bbedward said:

I approve of the game thread turning into a bash skyline chili thread 

It’s the worst regional food in the USA and I’m ashamed it’s associated with Ohio instead of Kentucky.

If Joe Flacco eats that shit he’s going to tank the first round and never come back to Ohio again. 

There is a Northern KY version of Cincy style chili, a small chain of maybe 3 restaurants called Dixie Chili. It’s quite good, sometimes l think l like it better than Skyline. You’d love it!

On 12/29/2023 at 9:52 AM, SdBacker80 said:

Do we lose a tiebreaker to the Bills?  Conference record decides it?  They are 5-5 and we are 8-3

Thanks!  You are correct that the Browns have the better conference record over Buffalo.  My bad - sorry @Korsou Dawg and anyone else for not confirming that before discussing scenarios and the tie breaker. I woke up all excited to discuss possible matchup scenarios before work.  I'm usually of the mindset "the Browns need to take care of their own business" because contenders do that while pretenders need to worry about others taking care of the business they couldn't accomplish.  1 exception to this is wishing for who we open the playoffs with in that 4th divisional winner slot while the Browns' current injury volume is still exceeding unreasonable.  Each of the next 1-3 weeks the Browns should begin to get back some very key players from injury/inactive lists.  Anyone see how fast the pass game dynamics flat lined when the final starting WR (Moore) when out of the line up?  The Jets were able to move their best corner over to Njoku and it left Flacco looking for unavailable help much of that final quarter. I want the Browns to play the winner of the AFC South in the 1st round unless they somehow edge Baltimore out of the #1 seed.   

The last time the Browns were in the playoffs, they got dumpster phucked on the no call helmet to helmet collision where Higgins fumbled the ball 1 inch shy of the goal line into the end zone and out of bounds for a KC touchback.  That wouldn't have been a post possession foul either - my guess is it would have worked like roughing the QB when he threw an INT - only in this case the Browns would have been given half the distance from the collision inside the 1 yard line with 4 chances to score a TD.  Worst case scenario is they false start in that sequence and settle for a FG (as opposed to the 0 points they got) in a game where the final score was KC 22 Cleveland 17.  3 different seasons Patrick Mahomes had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, KC went to the Super Bowl.  When you play there you don't just have to beat the Chiefs - you have to make sure crowd noise doesn't cause false starts while you know the officials will favor the Chiefs at every opportunity.  When Mahomes had to recently throw a temper tantrum for the Chiefs getting flagged for Kadarius Toney lining up offsides by a foot or 2 - you know they're spoiled by officials not being fair to the visitors there. In their Thursday Night opener with the Lions, their RT was lining up so far back that he was already where the 1st step of pass pro takes place (never flagged it even once for an illegal formation from not having enough guys on the LOS that other teams get flagged for trying to do).  Some complained about the multiple false starts KC's RT had that night as well; but I think we got away with one or 2 of those false starts the other night (so that my be a little more wide-spread if even Cleveland gets away with it).  Just know if the Browns play at KC the home team will be able to hold, mug and tackle Myles and others without worry of being penalized. Usually officiating crews have the "it's only the Cleveland Browns" mentality while the league already has their pre-written apology letter ready to be dated and mailed.  

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I wouldn’t go out of my way for Skyline chili, it’s not even in my top 25 list of foods to try while in NEO.

Me too but there's 1 exception to this rule.  Bring and consume plenty of Skyline Chili to a tailgate when your favorite team has to host way too many bandwagon Steeler fans that will probably sit somewhere in your proximity.  That's also an exception to my why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it rule.  

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, nickers said:

The draw of Tony Packo's was Jamie Farr of Mash is from Toledo and his signed picture hangs there... I've been there...

Me too- been there many times, as my wife is from the Toledo area (Sylvania). It's actually amusing walking around the original place on Front Street and perusing the hundreds of autographed hot dog buns on the walls.. From presidents (Obama), musicians (Ted Nugent), to movie stars (Burt Reynolds). 

The hot dogs are just OK, ditto the roast beef sandwich drowned in gravy. But their chili is a damnsite better than Skyline's. 

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention another food place with famous autographs plastered on the walls. Arthur Bryant's ribs in Kansas City. A virtual hole in the wall joint.. The original,  not the new place near Arrowhead.  

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Me too- been there many times, as my wife is from the Toledo area (Sylvania). It's actually amusing walking around the original place on Front Street and perusing the hundreds of autographed hot dog buns on the walls.. From presidents (Obama), musicians (Ted Nugent), to movie stars (Burt Reynolds). 

The hot dogs are just OK, ditto the roast beef sandwich drowned in gravy. But their chili is a damnsite better than Skyline's. 

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention another food place with famous autographs plastered on the walls. Arthur Bryant's ribs in Kansas City. A virtual hole in the wall joint.. The original,  not the new place near Arrowhead.  

Agreed... The food was/is underwhelming but the atmosphere is pretty cool.. I suppose if you drink enough booze the taste of the food does not matter much after a couple of pints lol.. My brother lived in Perrysburg ,Oh. for a couple of years when he was regional manager for PNC in Toledo...

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2023 at 1:05 PM, mjp28 said:

Oh yes ..... that close up camera shot of Moore going into the  BROWNS  locker room showed his face ..... he most definately had a  " head injury "  alright.   It's a good thing the entire  BROWNS team has 10 days  off until the next  "meaningless"  pro football game.     

Dr. Bennet Omalu, the inspiration for the movie "Concussion," told TMZ Sports on Friday that he would tell Moore he should retire.

"He was having a seizure," he said. "A seizure is a manifestation of brain damage, brain injury. . . . That is permanent damage."

Omalu added that if Moore doesn’t retire, he would at least tell him to sit out for the rest of the season.

READ ON THE FOX NEWS APP

• Thanks 1

~    Looking back this was a  quite  amazing  2023 season, all things considered.                          Amazing,  indeed.

Cleveland Browns 2023 (11-5)Schedule

▪︎  Regular Season  ▪︎   And  Cooper's  100 ★ &  200 ★★  yard games. And other notable games.  ★
WK DATE OPPONENT RESULT W-L HI PASS HI RUSH...★ HI REC ....★
1 Sun, Sep 10 W24-3 1-0 Watson 154 Chubb 106 ★ Moore 43
2 Mon, Sep 18 L26-22 1-1 Watson 235 Ford 106★ Cooper 90
3 Sun, Sep 24 W27-3 2-1 Watson 289 Strong Jr. 27 Cooper 116★
4 Sun, Oct 1 L28-3 2-2 Thompson-Robinson 121 Strong Jr. 49 Njoku 46
5 BYE WEEK
6 Sun, Oct 15 W19-17 3-2 Walker 192 Ford 84 Cooper 108★
7 Sun, Oct 22 W39-38 4-2 Walker 178 Ford 74 Moore 59
8 Sun, Oct 29 L24-20 4-3 Walker 248 Hunt 55 Cooper 89
9 Sun, Nov 5 W27-0 5-3 Watson 219 Ford 44 Cooper 139★
10 Sun, Nov 12 W33-31 6-3 Watson 213 Ford 107★ Cooper 98
11 Sun, Nov 19 W13-10 7-3 Thompson-Robinson 165 Hunt 36 Moore 60
12 Sun, Nov 26 L29-12 7-4 Thompson-Robinson 134 Ford 65 Njoku 59
13 Sun, Dec 3 L36-19 7-5 Flacco 254 Hunt 48 Moore 83
14 Sun, Dec 10 W31-27 8-5 Flacco 311...★ Ford 51 Njoku 91
15 Sun, Dec 17 W20-17 9-5 Flacco 374 ...★ Ford 20 Cooper 109★
16 Sun, Dec 24 W36-22 10-5 Flacco 368. ...★ Ford 25 Cooper 265★★
17 Thu, Dec 28 W37-20 11-5 Flacco 309. ...★ Ford 64 Njoku 134
WK DATE OPPONENT TIME TV TICKETS
18 Sun, Jan 7 TBD   Tickets as low as $67   <--● Coming up !
 ▪︎ 2023  PRESEASON  ▪︎   (1-2-1)
WK DATE OPPONENT RESULT W-L HI PASS HI RUSH HI REC
HOF Thu, Aug 3 W21-16 1-0 Mond 92 Felton Jr. 46 Watkins Jr. 35
1 Fri, Aug 11 L17-15 1-1 Thompson-Robinson 102 Felton Jr. 31 Watkins Jr. 71
2 Thu, Aug 17 T18-18 1-1-1 Thompson-Robinson 164 Felton Jr. 36 Watkins Jr. 139
3 Sat, Aug 26 L33-32 1-2-1 Mond 93 Kelly Jr. 20 Cooper 53..

* Game played at neutral location

Edited by mjp28
And notable 2023 games. ★ ★★

4 hours ago, syd said:

Dr. Bennet Omalu, the inspiration for the movie "Concussion," told TMZ Sports on Friday that he would tell Moore he should retire.

"He was having a seizure," he said. "A seizure is a manifestation of brain damage, brain injury. . . . That is permanent damage."

Omalu added that if Moore doesn’t retire, he would at least tell him to sit out for the rest of the season.

READ ON THE FOX NEWS APP

I mean, that’s what I’d expect Omalu to say that about any player who experienced a concussion - he built his career on CTE

No idea when Moore will clear protocol, but I could see 2-4 weeks after that one…which at this point may or may not be the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, bbedward said:

I mean, that’s what I’d expect Omalu to say that about any player who experienced a concussion - he built his career on CTE

No idea when Moore will clear protocol, but I could see 2-4 weeks after that one…which at this point may or may not be the rest of the season.

Gee I wonder what he would tell Steve Young... He had a concussion every other week for Christ sakes!

• mjp28 unpinned this topic