THE BROWNS BOARD

"Official" 🏈  ▪︎ NFL WEEK 17 ▪︎ JETS -at- BROWNS (-7½)  🏈 "The" J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets Thread

Dutch Oven

9 minutes ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

In that top picture can you see me waving to the camera? I clocked the helicopter and gave him a wave, I'm on the bridge with the blue hat on! Half of that lot went straight in The Ivy.

Congrats on being in the stadium for both Texans & Jets wins .. Yorkie's had a trip to remember.. Go Browns !

• Like 1

I didn’t get to watch much, was watching from phone in airport a bit. But it really seems like Flacco is playing the best football of his career…the chants were awesome.

Nice to see the run game start to open up, I’m not seeing the statue criticisms either - he’s navigating the pocket very well and even breaking sacks and extending plays

The defense is being talked about,  Joe Flacco is being talked about, but what's not really being talked about is the protection that offensive line is giving Flacco and opening up running lanes. Absolutely incredible considering how patch work the line is. There really should be a Bill Callahan love thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, alporcini said:

Assuming the Ravens beat the Fins on Sunday, which makes the Bengals game fairly meaningless, who do we rest in the finale? 

The more difficult question is: what if the Ratbirds loose to the Fins? Do you risk it and play your starters, with the potential reward of the opening round bye? For that reward, Rats needs to loose both. 

Suppose part of the answer lies in the result Pit-Sea game. If Stoolers have something to play for in their last game, it could be worth the risk.

Running on fumes and heading into work on a day I wasn't even supposed to be there.  Skipping like a school boy because the Brownies are headed to the playoffs!!

I'm happy for all the fans, but most especially for our Englishmen, York. That dude has put down some good money for his HOU --> CLE trip and he's been rewarded with a couple great games, the last of which is a home game that sends us to the post season. 

I hope and trust he stayed well after zeroes hit to soak it all in with the rest of the home crowd.  Great night, great win, happy for this team and for all of us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, alporcini said:

Assuming the Ravens beat the Fins on Sunday, which makes the Bengals game fairly meaningless, who do we rest in the finale? 

If the Browns clinch the 5th seed, they would play the 4th seed (which will be Jax or Indy).  That's the dream matchup for the Browns. 

Here's the thing, Buffalo could tie us with 11 wins if we hibernate starters and forfeit the Cincy game.  That would mean Cleveland would have to play AT KC where they get EVERY call while officials conveniently miss every call against KC. I really don't want to watch another matchup with KC listening to Tony Romo fantasize about Mahomes like it's a football telecast turned Hallmark channel.  That's a very difficult place to win at regardless of how unimpressively they coasted to winning their division. Before we get too cocky, we got humbled on the road at Denver, Seattle and LA.  Let's play ball and keep the mojo.  As much as we hated playing Thursday on minimal rest - the Browns don't play their next game for another 9-10 days to restore and replenish the rest and recuperation lost. This need to win to make the playoffs has our Browns USED TO the do or die pressure some higher seeds might not be ready for IMO.

Having said all that, if Buffalo loses this week - the guy that wrote the paragraph above was sniffing glue.  More specifically, that's when they should rest people at Cincy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Are we going to ignore that the back judge, mere yards away and with clear LOS, did not instantly throw a flag?!?! I swear that guy was secretly hoping Joe got killed or paralyzed on that play!

Watching it on that huge screen I was yelling, "Intentional head hit, throw him out of the game you idiot!" Didn't even pretend to reach for the yellow hanky! Send it in to the league office.

EDIT: At least they finally called one hold against the LT on Myles for a change. Must have been the full moon.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

That was absolutely mint tonight, the second half was as tight as the first half was open. Walking back to m.y hotel on W10th all the bars were rammed with huge queues outside so my hotel bar was the best bet. Numerous Browns fans staying over that have come in from all over Ohio are in the bar with me. Chuffed to bit's for all Browns fans cos it was obvious just how much tonight's result meant to everyone as we came out of the stadium. I don't half pick em don't I. 

Really happy for you getting the experience you deserved!  There's nothing like taking a road trip to watch this team win; and you crossed an ocean to do it on a night this team clinched a playoff spot!   Cheers!!!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Alright... offense is flat, but at the end of the day, we started the 3rd quarter up 17, and we start the 4th quarter still up 17. 

It's funny, as nerve-wracking as that entire 3rd quarter was, the net result was still a 17 point lead, and that was just too much to overcome in the 4th for the Jets.

The game kind of reminded me of the Jags game, where our mistakes were basically the only reason it was as close as it was. The Njoku and Strong fumbles were SO disheartening, especially the Njoku one because we're moving the ball there, approaching red zone, and it felt to me like one more td would just end the game. And don't forget about the pick 6 and the overturned Ford fumble. Yeesh! 

But one thing our defense did was force clock on Jets' drives. That one drive where we blocked the FG took about 6 minutes off the clock and yielded no points. Huge! 

I couldn't be happier for the fans. The team gets a 10 day break and the fans get to celebrate a playoff clinching victory at home. The special season continues. 

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

The more difficult question is: what if the Ratbirds loose to the Fins? Do you risk it and play your starters, with the potential reward of the opening round bye? For that reward, Rats needs to loose both. 

Suppose part of the answer lies in the result Pit-Sea game. If Stoolers have something to play for in their last game, it could be worth the risk.

Good points KD!  There's another important scenario to consider: Would you rather play AT KC in the 3rd seed or at the AFC South Winner in the 4th seed in round 1?   If the Browns lose at Cincy and Buffalo wins out - the Browns could play AT KC instead of Jax or Indy.  As good as we look at home - they got beat at Denver, LA and Seattle where the officials were more than happy to flag the Browns.  KC has a post season home field advantage that has put them in 3 Super Bowls.  Not only that, the last time we made the playoffs - KC ended us.  You can't afford to start drives 1st and 15 there from the crowd noise induced false starts.  As you can tell by the tantrum Mahomes threw when his WR lined up offsides by a couple feet - they're not used to getting flagged for the things the rest of the league does.  That KC stuff is a package deal where you play against the team + the crowd noise + the officials consistently rewarding the home team with the benefit of every doubt unfolding.  Remember the head to head collision where Hollywood Higgins fumble the ball into the end zone from 1 inch shy of the goal line?  No penalty awarded and KC got the ball with the touchback.  Browns lost a close game and that was point swing necessary to kick us out of the playoffs.

Of course, because I'm reminding you of all that - watch the winner of the AFC South finish with a better record than KC. As I said earlier in this thread, this team has a 9-10 day rest between yesterday and the game at Cincy.  I think we should get starters some action and substitute as necessary.

The other scenario is seeing the Ratbirds inexplicably lose 2 games in a row; especially if that would turn them into a wildcard team that would have to play on the road.  I think we have a better chance at seeing reindeer fly this time of year than watching the Rats lose 2 in a row.  When it comes to making predictions though - I'm more Nostradumbass than Nostradamus.  

21 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Good points KD!  There's another important scenario to consider: Would you rather play AT KC in the 3rd seed or at the AFC South Winner in the 4th seed in round 1?   If the Browns lose at Cincy and Buffalo wins out - the Browns could play AT KC instead of Jax or Indy.  As good as we look at home - they got beat at Denver, LA and Seattle where the officials were more than happy to flag the Browns.  KC has a post season home field advantage that has put them in 3 Super Bowls.  Not only that, the last time we made the playoffs - KC ended us.  You can't afford to start drives 1st and 15 there from the crowd noise induced false starts.  As you can tell by the tantrum Mahomes threw when his WR lined up offsides by a couple feet - they're not used to getting flagged for the things the rest of the league does.  That KC stuff is a package deal where you play against the team + the crowd noise + the officials consistently rewarding the home team with the benefit of every doubt unfolding.  Remember the head to head collision where Hollywood Higgins fumble the ball into the end zone from 1 inch shy of the goal line?  No penalty awarded and KC got the ball with the touchback.  Browns lost a close game and that was point swing necessary to kick us out of the playoffs.

Of course, because I'm reminding you of all that - watch the winner of the AFC South finish with a better record than KC. As I said earlier in this thread, this team has a 9-10 day rest between yesterday and the game at Cincy.  I think we should get starters some action and substitute as necessary.

The other scenario is seeing the Ratbirds inexplicably lose 2 games in a row; especially if that would turn them into a wildcard team that would have to play on the road.  I think we have a better chance at seeing reindeer fly this time of year than watching the Rats lose 2 in a row.  When it comes to making predictions though - I'm more Nostradumbass than Nostradamus.  

Obviously the AFCS winner is preferred, but at some point gotta let it go since you gotta go through the best anyway to make the big show, doesn’t matter if it’s the wild card, divisional, or conference championship.

I just hope someway we get a playoff game at home, whether it’s the ravens collapsing or lower wildcard seeds pulling upsets on the road.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Are we going to ignore that the back judge, mere yards away and with clear LOS, did not instantly throw a flag?!?! I swear that guy was secretly hoping Joe got killed or paralyzed on that play!

They didn't throw a single flag for a facemask or illegal hands to the face. We got away with one on a third down in the second quarter. Garrett was getting slapped in the helmet all game. 

if we had to be honest 😇 ( 2 game replay )

The Refs let both teams play, missing calls from both sides

Better than the flag festival some crews want to dictate

Best any team can hope for from refs weekly

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

If the Browns clinch the 5th seed, they would play the 4th seed (which will be Jax or Indy).  That's the dream matchup for the Browns. 

Here's the thing, Buffalo could tie us with 11 wins if we hibernate starters and forfeit the Cincy game.  That would mean Cleveland would have to play AT KC where they get EVERY call while officials conveniently miss every call against KC. I really don't want to watch another matchup with KC listening to Tony Romo fantasize about Mahomes like it's a football telecast turned Hallmark channel.  That's a very difficult place to win at regardless of how unimpressively they coasted to winning their division. Before we get too cocky, we got humbled on the road at Denver, Seattle and LA.  Let's play ball and keep the mojo.  As much as we hated playing Thursday on minimal rest - the Browns don't play their next game for another 9-10 days to restore and replenish the rest and recuperation lost. This need to win to make the playoffs has our Browns USED TO the do or die pressure some higher seeds might not be ready for IMO.

Having said all that, if Buffalo loses this week - the guy that wrote the paragraph above was sniffing glue.  More specifically, that's when they should rest people at Cincy.

Do we lose a tiebreaker to the Bills?  Conference record decides it?  They are 5-5 and we are 8-3

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm happy for all the fans, but most especially for our Englishmen, York. That dude has put down some good money for his HOU --> CLE trip and he's been rewarded with a couple great games, the last of which is a home game that sends us to the post season. 

I hope and trust he stayed well after zeroes hit to soak it all in with the rest of the home crowd.  Great night, great win, happy for this team and for all of us. 

Yorkie is like our secret good luck charm. We should totally all pitch in and buy him and me and my daughter tickets for the Bengals game next week, and maybe my girlfriend too but she’s a Bengals fan so probably not her. Waddya say fellas?

I’ll show him around Cincy and shove Skyline chili down his face, and we’ll virtually guarantee a win in the process! It’ll be great.

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Congrats on being in the stadium for both Texans & Jets wins .. Yorkie's had a trip to remember.. Go Browns !

Before this trip I'd only ever seen them get beat. By Eagles in 91 and by Chargers in 92. I've been happy to discover that I'm not the jonnah that I thought I was. And that did actually cross my mind when I was planning this trip that if both games go tits up it'll be down to me bringing them bad luck and also that I'd get chased out of town. 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Do we lose a tiebreaker to the Bills?  Conference record decides it?  They are 5-5 and we are 8-3

@Flugel just entered scenarios in this nifty tool: https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Even if Buffalo wins its remaining two and we lose at Cincy, we remain the 5th seed. We play either Jags, Colts or Texans, depending on their results. 

If we win the last game, we need the Ratbirds to lose both to become the #1 seed. Unlikely, but far from impossible, because both the Fins (seeding/ hf advantage) and Steelers (making the playoffs at all) have everything to play for. 

Based on risk-reward however, I would be inclined to agree with the bubble wrap suggestion made earlier. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Yorkie is like our secret good luck charm. We should totally all pitch in and buy him and me and my daughter tickets for the Bengals game next week, and maybe my girlfriend too but she’s a Bengals fan so probably not her. Waddya say fellas?

I’ll show him around Cincy and shove Skyline chili down his face, and we’ll virtually guarantee a win in the process! It’ll be great.

I just pictured myself with a face Full of hot chilli, I used to watch the lads at work getting stuck into hot Indian curries faces bright red and sweat dribbling off em, looked more like an ordeal than enjoyable meal but they used to say it was lovely. Cincy is a smashing idea but I know my boss wouldn't be over keen as the work will no doubt be queing up for me when I go back in on the 4th. One to consider for the future though. Cheers. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Before this trip I'd only ever seen them get beat. By Eagles in 91 and by Chargers in 92. I've been happy to discover that I'm not the jonnah that I thought I was. And that did actually cross my mind when I was planning this trip that if both games go tits up it'll be down to me bringing them bad luck and also that I'd get chased out of town. 

Out done my Oct/Nov. of 2013 trip to the Land..

Browns beat Natty at home on Sunday..  Browns beat Bills that same week on Thursdays Night in Cleveland

10 years later & Santa left ya a gift you'll always remember 🎄  Enjoy the ride Bloody Yorkie !  don't be a stranger on TBB & welcome !

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

I just pictured myself with a face Full of hot chilli, I used to watch the lads at work getting stuck into hot Indian curries faces bright red and sweat dribbling off em, looked more like an ordeal than enjoyable meal but they used to say it was lovely. Cincy is a smashing idea but I know my boss wouldn't be over keen as the work will no doubt be queing up for me when I go back in on the 4th. One to consider for the future though. Cheers. 

Skyline chili is generic Midwest spaghetti, don’t worry you’re not missing anything. You can also get it in Cleveland since they have locations there but it wouldn’t be anywhere close to my list of places to visit for food in the city

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

No.

Browns only have two possibilities: get lucky and get the #1 seed, or remain at #5. They own all tiebreakers with AFC wildcard contenders.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Skyline chili is generic Midwest spaghetti, don’t worry you’re not missing anything. You can also get it in Cleveland since they have locations there but it wouldn’t be anywhere close to my list of places to visit for food in the city

OH Yes,  .... and there is some great food in and around the city of Cleveland, OH.  Don't worry about that at all,  and I would NOT miss out of that Skyline chili ....  not one bit.   

2 hours ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Shh, l’m trying to score tickets to the game here.

Cincinnati style chili isn’t overly spicy, but it is amazing! Don’t let anyone here tell you differently…