DT Maurice Hurst

LB Jordan Kunaszyk

S Rodney McLeod

LB Jacob Phillips

WR James Proche

DE Za'Darius Smith

LB Sione Takitaki

LB Anthony Walker Jr.

From the above, who should the Browns re-sign?

Za'Darius Smith, Maurice Hurst, Anthony Walker.   

There are other guys that played ok for us, like Harrison Bryant, Takitaki, Jacob Philips, etc....but, that's up to the team to either improve upon or keep as the depth you're going to need to get through a 17+ game schedule.

We need LB'er, and more speed in the secondary.  We've got to figure out how to block for running & passing.  

Morning,  

Welcome to 13M over the cap without signing any FA on above list.. https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns

Browns 2024 FA's.. https://overthecap.com/free-agency/cleveland-browns

Not certain we can obtain D. Smith at 11M, when Obo was playing healthy 

AB needs to get his stubborn head on the Inside Mike Linebacker market. Paying punters off the street more $$ than Walker to retain Tickie Taki for more? Fold your tent & move on Berry.. JOK needs a new ball hawking partner

Match offer sheets to retain K. Hunt & Mo Hurst 

*M. Dunn vs Wypler

S. Harris vs J. Elliott 

Again Berry's guardrails, don't like to pay backup depth FA $$ 

so no silver bullet answers from this post  

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, AP1 said:

TE Harrison Bryant

7 hours ago, AP1 said:

C Nick Harris

7 hours ago, AP1 said:

DT Shelby Harris

7 hours ago, AP1 said:

DT Maurice Hurst

7 hours ago, AP1 said:

DE Za'Darius Smith

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

AB needs to get his stubborn head on the Inside Mike Linebacker market. Paying punters off the street more $$ than Walker to retain Tickie Taki for more? Fold your tent & move on Berry.. JOK needs a new ball hawking partner

so no silver bullet answers from this post  

I tend to agree here. There's a lot to like about Berry, but our LB situation has been sub par for a long long time.

I'm not sure if it's due to the NFL increase to 4 & 5 WR sets, or a shift in philosophy with CLE. It just seems JOK is the only one making plays from the LB spot consistently. 

Takitaki has been ok with an occasional splash play. Walker is a decent tackler, calls the signals. But they generally lack speed and the DBs make most of the tackles. 

Maybe Dunn

McLeod, Mo and AWalk all depending on health

Bojorquez

Harmon and Taki struggled bad yesterday. Zadarius is playing on the back 9 and can see the club house. 

Newsome working over top that pick yesterday like a douche bag still sticks in my mind. 

• Thanks 1

Whatever I say is going to piss people off, I'm still fuming from yesterday's game.

I say let them all walk. And I will go as far to say they should move on from all injury prone players including Hospital Ward and Garrett with the shoulder that is his fault because he can't handle a performance car. They need to start looking towards the future and start drafting replacements for some of these players. How many picks did they give for Watson?

15 minutes ago, Neo said:

Whatever I say is going to piss people off, I'm still fuming from yesterday's game.

I say let them all walk. And I will go as far to say they should move on from all injury prone players including Hospital Ward and Garrett with the shoulder that is his fault because he can't handle a performance car. They need to start looking towards the future and start drafting replacements for some of these players. How many picks did they give for Watson?

We are certainly not in a stage to trade our stars to enter a rebuild, maybe in 2-3 years. That would definitely be an over-reaction, but I ain’t mad at ya.

It was a fun year, sad end - it is what it is.

48 minutes ago, Neo said:

And with that, Neo wins today's "En Fuego Take!" o' the day!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Maybe Dunn

McLeod, Mo and AWalk all depending on health

Bojorquez

Harmon and Taki struggled bad yesterday. Zadarius is playing on the back 9 and can see the club house. 

Newsome working over top that pick yesterday like a douche bag still sticks in my mind. 

What? Newsome was on fire yesterday.................................................if you count getting burned constantly as being on fire.🔥😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

And with that, Neo wins today's "En Fuego Take!" o' the day!

Am I wrong about Garrett or Ward?

Garrett looks like for the most part he pulled a Houdini act for the last part of the season, and Ward seems he's going to be a regular on IR for the rest of his career.  If Garrett's shoulder is to blame,  isn't he kinda in the same boat as Watson? 

16 minutes ago, Neo said:

Garrett looks like for the most part he pulled a Houdini act for the last part of the season, and Ward seems he's going to be a regular on IR for the rest of his career.  If Garrett's shoulder is to blame,  isn't he kinda in the same boat as Watson? 

I would say wrong about both of them yes. Garrett is kinda obvious, he will likely be voted DPOY for good reason.

Ward has an injury bug, but it’s hard to get that level of talent at CB.

Either way we are not in a good position to trade away all of our star power and enter a rebuild - that would be pretty ludicrous given where our roster is at right now.

48 minutes ago, Neo said:

Watson's shoulder injury was a serious one that required surgery... I don't think Garrett's will as far as I know, possibly more of a therapy and rest situation.

Ward is Ward. He's an excellent CB that we can count on for roughly 75% of the season, every season. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Watson's shoulder injury was a serious one that required surgery... I don't think Garrett's will as far as I know, possibly more of a therapy and rest situation.

Ward is Ward. He's an excellent CB that we can count on for roughly 75% of the season, every season. 

I'm taking an indefinite break from this place and from football in general.  This team needs a lot of work if they want to win the division and some luck with players coming off injuries. Chubb is the one that concerns me the most.  Going to be hard to replace his production and value.

8 hours ago, bbedward said:

I would say wrong about both of them yes. Garrett is kinda obvious, he will likely be voted DPOY for good reason.

Ward has an injury bug, but it’s hard to get that level of talent at CB.

Either way we are not in a good position to trade away all of our star power and enter a rebuild - that would be pretty ludicrous given where our roster is at right now.

Do you really think he should be defensive player of the year? I know everyone wants their guy to win this sort of stuff, it's natural but outside of the PFF "win rate" narrative and the Browns being a bit of a darling I don't think he should win. The dude kind of disappeared since November. I also fully acknowledge he's elite and he disrupts the game but I don't feel like you can disappear on the stat sheet like he did for that stretch of time and win. He's lucky they vote before the playoffs. Stallion of a player, not DPOY but you know who I think should win sooooo. 😂

To the board - Sorry about the season fellas. I didn't want the Browns to win but I'd be a liar if I said I wouldn't be happy for some of you here if they made a run. I've got some great buddies who are diehard Browns fans too. Unfortunately I think Watson in more ways than one keeps you from building something truly great on a consistent basis. Albatross contract and all those picks. 

Go Steelers! 😉❤️😂

22 hours ago, AP1 said:

P Corey Bojorquez

TE Harrison Bryant

OL Michael Dunn

DT Jordan Elliott

WR Marquise Goodwin

DT Shelby Harris

DT Maurice Hurst

LB Jacob Phillips

DE Za'Darius Smith

LB Sione Takitaki

LB Anthony Walker Jr.

From the above, who should the Browns re-sign?

I just deleted players from your list as shown about.  There are a few guys I deleted but wouldn't mind if we signed them back...Proche might be an example of that.  Bryant might be a guy I left on the list who won't get an offer.

Bojo punted well most of the season and should be affordable enough. I like Bryant. I got a soft spot for Taki squared. 

I get the impression they are willing to throw modest contracts at the LB position, possibly for the sake of continuity? Walker is like 2 or 3 one-year contracts in, and Taki signed for one year last year too. Those 2 may be back if no other team offers anything better. 

I always thought Phillips coulda been something if he could stay healthy. He’ll probably be our new Kirksey and go to another team and play well for ‘em. 

16 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Bojo punted well most of the season and should be affordable enough. I like Bryant. I got a soft spot for Taki squared. 

I get the impression they are willing to throw modest contracts at the LB position, possibly for the sake of continuity? Walker is like 2 or 3 one-year contracts in, and Taki signed for one year last year too. Those 2 may be back if no other team offers anything better. 

I always thought Phillips coulda been something if he could stay healthy. He’ll probably be our new Kirksey and go to another team and play well for ‘em. 

I'd love to get a physical LB as a complement to JOK in the draft and get younger in the LB corps. I'd be fine with bringing Takitaki back as a depth guy. Seems like a well-liked guy who does well in spots. 

56 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Practically the entire DLine room

The DLine is soo important to a football team.  I mean, who hurries the QB?   No matter how good your coverage people are, if the QB isn't rushed passes will be complete.  Who clogs up the run?    The DL sets up the rest of the defense as to how good they can be.  Let's face it.  Our DL, especially the interior, was better this year than last year.  And it helped to vault our pass defense to the top of the league for most of the season.  And it was our D that kept us in games that we should've lost...so that our kicker could win us some of those should've lost games.  

Obviously Flacco putting up big numbers and getting us 4 straight wins got us to the playoffs, but more than once he credited the defense for the wins.  And the DLine is the engine of the defense.

Signed to Browns reserve/future contracts 

WR Jaelon Darden

CB Vincent Gray

RB John Kelly Jr.

TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden

T Justin Murray

DE Lonnie Phelps

LB Charlie Thomas III

DE Isaiah Thomas

DT *Chris Williams

LB *Caleb Johnson

DT *Jayden Peevy

K *Lucas Havrisik 

* new additions

Signed Elsewhere

• WR Austin Watkins - Signed with the Eagles.  Watkins had the choice to return to Cleveland but chose a different direction
  • CB AJ Green III - Signed with the Vikings. Played four seasons and 34 games with the team:
  • S Tanner McCalister - Signed with the Broncos. Was elevated for three games this season. The safety played 19 snaps on defense and 37 on special teams.

On 1/14/2024 at 9:15 AM, Orion said:

Za'Darius Smith, Maurice Hurst, Anthony Walker.   

There are other guys that played ok for us, like Harrison Bryant, Takitaki, Jacob Philips, etc....but, that's up to the team to either improve upon or keep as the depth you're going to need to get through a 17+ game schedule.

We need LB'er, and more speed in the secondary.  We've got to figure out how to block for running & passing.  

I like all 3 guys when they're close to being healthy.  That said, it feels like Walker is never healthy enough to rely on for any length of time. It's too bad because he's a good leader for this defense when he CAN play.  Hurst made a lot of BIG plays in the rotation and I hope we can get him back.  Smith looked like he was tired (and maybe even playing through injuries down the stretch).  I think we drafted McGuire and signed Okoronkwo to develop into that role beyond last season.  I'm not sure the Alex Wright pick from the year before still has many confident he can step up.  That said, many of us didn't feel like DT Jordan Elliott was ready to step up to show us he belonged in his 4th year.  He exceeded my expectations for the first time at a position we needed that from.

A lot of interesting decisions ahead.

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Peevy has potential at DT (figure out why tia).😱😉

I'm going to take a wild guess...

He plays at a school located in a rather large state in the southwest with a farming background?

• Haha 1