THE BROWNS BOARD

Senior Bowl

syd

Browns DBs coach Ephraim Banda announced as DC in Senior Bowl

USATSI_10374038.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
January 18, 2024 9:21 am ET

Cleveland Browns defensive backs coach Ephraim Banda was announced as a defensive coordinator in the Reese’s Senior Bowl. The Senior Bowl is an exhibition game for some of the best NFL draft prospects.

It’s also a chance for up-and-coming coaches to prove their worth. Coach Banda will run the defense of the American team.

All 32 teams in the NFL rely heavily on the Senior Bowl. All eyes will be trained on Mobile, Ala., during the week of Feb. 3. The game and the week of practice before is a crucial time for teams to get a first impression of the people they will invest in during the draft.

Andrew Berry and the Browns have sourced a lot of prospects from the Senior Bowl since he became General Manager in 2020. Last year, the Browns drafted right tackle Dawand Jones and signed undrafted free agent Ronnie Hickman Jr., who both participated in the Senior Bowl.

Offensive tackle James Hudson III, linebacker Tony Fields II, tight end Harrison Bryant, and former Browns players Perrion Winfrey, and Demetric Felton were all alumni of the Senior Bowl and drafted by Berry.

The Browns have a close look at some of the top prospects in the NFL draft this year. The organization will count on Coach Banda to relay what he learns about the players. Hopefully, the team can find more diamonds in the rough like Dawand Jones.

• Upvote 3

On 1/18/2024 at 2:37 PM, syd said:

Hopefully, the team can find more diamonds in the rough like Dawand Jones.

It's becoming clear.... this NC fan, is not a fan of NC's Bucky Brooks

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-all-rookie-team-lions-rams-each-boast-four-selections-texans-clearly-nailed-top-three-picks

look when they're able to play Buck 👀

Thought about getting a bucket list to Senior Bowl week off my list? Fans cost to fly & hotel stays? Too rich for this fan ! $$  

Good player invite list, 14 days away

14 minutes ago, syd said:

Don't know much about the players chosen save Eichenberg, but they definitely hit needs well with a speedy WR, a depth guy at DT that can rush the passer, a run-stopping LB and a developmental OT. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

The WR is 6'1  @ 172 lb.  He'll be lucky to survive preseason without hitting IR.  Texas used him a lot like we used Elijah Moore.

They would be better to address the OL with their first pick and WR next. But if you want a WR first with size and stats look no further than the Xaiver from SC if he is still there.

Xaiver Legette, WR, South Carolina
Height: 6-3. Weight: 227.
Projected 40 Time: 4.49.
Projected Round (2024): 1-3.

"12/30/23: According to team sources, they were impressed with Legette in 2023 and he was graded well by area scouts. Legette played well in games against North Carolina (9-178), Furman (6-118-1) and Georgia (7-71). After those three games, Legette already established career highs. In 2023, he totaled 71 receptions for 1,255 yards and seven touchdowns.

Legette has mismatch size and has shown that he has good speed for a big wideout. Legette could be a first-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft."

• Thanks 1

Shrine Bowl Practice started today.. (game Thursday 8 pm NFL network)

The Browns coach it. But Browns media does not cover it well (They can't pay @tiamat63 rates ;))

Player Measurements are in progress https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2024-east-west-shrine-bowl-weigh-ins-measurements/

Day 1 notes from the Yitzers  https://steelersdepot.com/2024/01/2024-east-west-shrine-bowl-practice-notes-day-1/

Day 2 notes   https://steelersdepot.com/2024/01/2024-east-west-shrine-bowl-practice-notes-day-2/

Day 3 notes   https://steelersdepot.com/2024/01/2024-east-west-shrine-bowl-practice-notes-day-3/ 

Final practice day 4 notes https://steelersdepot.com/2024/01/2024-east-west-shrine-bowl-practice-notes-day-4/

Game Thursday 8 pm.. Browns have several mid-round picks that may fit this draft class

• Thanks 1

Senior Bowl measurements are updating while in progress  https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2024-senior-bowl-weigh-ins-and-measurements/

Day 1 practice will air on NFL network Tuesday from 10:30 am to 3 PM. 

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2024/1/30/24056151/senior-bowl-2024-day-1-practice-recap-wide-receivers-defensive-linemen-shine-nfl-draft-falcons

Sleeper mid-round Tackle class.. Texas Christian Jones, I see ya 👀 

Day 2 practice. AB's field location, has not changed in 2 days watching Senior Bowl WR class.. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/watch-andrew-berry-checking-in-on-the-wide-receivers-at-senior-bowl-practice

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 2:55 PM, syd said:

Cleveland Browns Draft Picks by Round in 2024

• Round 2
  • Round 3
  • Round 5 (from CAR)
  • Round 5
  • Round 6 (from HOU)
  • Round 6 (from BAL)
  • Round 7
  • Round 7 (from ATL)

Berry's going to wish he had a pair of 2nd & pair of 3rd rounders by draft time 😇

Compiled list of Senior Bowl practice studs that made some 💰 this week

NATIONAL TEAM

Toledo Quinyon Mitchell DB rank #26
UCLA Laiatu Latu DL rank #11
Michigan Roman Wilson WR rank #89 ?
Baylor Gabe Hall DL rank #187 ?
Oregon State Taliese Fuaga OL rank #19

AMERICAN TEAM 

Missouri Darius Robinson DL rank #107 ?
Texas T'Vondre Sweat DL rank #48
Georgia Ladd McConkey WR rank #47

Tackles? Rising sleeper? Texas swing T, Christian Jones has had better 1 on 1 reps than Tyler Guyton & Patrick Paul

https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/texas-longhorns-offensive-tackle-christian-jones-shining-senior-bowl-practice

WR class overall is loaded.. Rising sleepers at SB? Roman Wilson, Ricky Pearsall, Malachi Corley, Xavier Legette & Jamari Thash .. All have limited route trees, but tools in the box to work with 

RB & TE.. There are options to replace our RB3 (Strong) &/or TE2 Harrison Bryant in this draft class. 

Still early & risers will rise.. stay tuned & we're on to day 3

edit- Zebra speed tracking https://connect.zebra.com/SrBowlInsights

13 hours ago, syd said:

what could we get for Conklin if we took on part of his salary ?

A couple bottles of Mad Dog & a 5th rounder🤣

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Berry's going to wish he had a pair of 2nd & pair of 3rd rounders by draft time 😇

Compiled list of Senior Bowl practice studs that made some 💰 this week

NATIONAL TEAM

Toledo Quinyon Mitchell DB rank #26
UCLA Laiatu Latu DL rank #11
Michigan Roman Wilson WR rank #89 ?
Baylor Gabe Hall DL rank #187 ?
Oregon State Taliese Fuaga OL rank #19

AMERICAN TEAM 

Missouri Darius Robinson DL rank #107 ?
Texas T'Vondre Sweat DL rank #48
Georgia Ladd McConkey WR rank #47

Tackles? Rising sleeper? Texas swing T, Christian Jones has had better 1 on 1 reps than Tyler Guyton & Patrick Paul

https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/texas-longhorns-offensive-tackle-christian-jones-shining-senior-bowl-practice

WR class overall is loaded.. Rising sleepers at SB? Roman Wilson, Ricky Pearsall, Malachi Corley, Xavier Legette & Jamari Thash .. All have limited route trees, but tools in the box to work with 

RB & TE.. There are options to replace our RB3 (Strong) &/or TE2 Harrison Bryant in this draft class. 

Still early & risers will rise.. stay tuned & we're on to day 3

edit- Zebra speed tracking https://connect.zebra.com/SrBowlInsights

Is McConkey the son/nephew of former Giants' Super Bowl WR Phil MCConkey?    I already like the Ladd; and he sure looks like he's wired a lot like Phil McConkey.

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Is McConkey the son/nephew of former Giants' Super Bowl WR Phil MCConkey?    I already like the Ladd; and he sure looks like he's wired a lot like Phil McConkey.

Not sure but I could watch the film on that guy they call Punxsutawnet Phil over and over and over again. Oh wait, he's on all day & evening long on AMC today.😁🦔

I was reading about this Guy earlier today and thought to myself this is a Guy we should be able to get in the second round, And I just found this about are Guy

reese’s Senior Bowl Interview: OT Tyler Guyton, this year’s Dawand Jones

All-Star game showcases young offensive line talent

By Barry Shuck  Feb 2, 2024, 1:35pm EST  

The Cleveland Browns will need to draft a young offensive tackle at some point. James Hudson struggled, and what will happen with Jed Wills and Jack Conklin? They need an infusion of youth to pair with Dawand Jones who will surely start on one side or the other. If the Browns want gigantic bookends, then this is their guy.

Our interviews with players focus on who should be available when the Browns draft in certain rounds.

OT Tyler Guyton – Oklahoma

6’-7”, 327 pounds

Projected round: 2

DBN: You have mainly played on the right side, but for the past two days the Senior Bowl coaches have you playing the left side. How is that transition?

Guyton: They gave me some reps today like yesterday. It is different yet still the same. It’s where you set your feet, then the hand placement isn’t the same.

DBN: Have you played on the left side at all?

Guyton: There were times in college that they had me play left tackle. So, all though I have a lot of comfort on the right, it comes back quickly. The coaches here told me that the scouts want to see versatility, so I moved. I want them to see I can play multiple positions.

DBN: You mainly grew up playing on the defensive side of the ball. How did you get switched to the offensive line side?

Guyton: It wasn’t that hard to switch. I think challenges are fun. You have to find joy at what you do. It was something that I had never done, and discovered that the offensive line is a brotherhood whereas the defense you are with other defenders, but basically on your own individually. It happened after I got to TCU. I always hated offensive linemen. Once you start doing it you learn to love it.

DBN: You probably had a brighter future with your body build and arm length. Your thoughts?

Guyton: I soon learned that and didn’t understand it at first. I just didn’t see it for me yet. I just considered myself as a hybrid DT always, and then had to understand I am built for the other side of the ball if I can learn the position.

DBN: What are you expecting from the next level?

Guyton: There are a lot of things. I feel I definitely have to step up from last season. I feel I can always do better. There is always pass pro rush to work on. Generally, I feel I am on the right path and will do a good job. Everybody playing their best with no mistakes catching every pass and making every block is what you want to achieve at any level.

DBN: What is it like when the passing game is going well?

Guyton: There are plays that after it is over is just amazing. It is a good feeling being with my brothers on the line and seeing a 40-yard bomb and get caught it’s just an amazing feeling that you helped that happen. I love playing for those moments.

DBN: Is it important for you to start your first year?

Guyton: I am coming in with veteran experience. Bringing leadership to the O-Line will be good for wherever I end up. I started every game the last two years at Oklahoma playing against good teams every week. I don’t think I have played my best football yet. I am on the positive side and there are always things that need to be fixed and learn to play better.

DBN: What part of your skill set do you think is the best?

Guyton: Zone run block I seem to be better at, but I do love to pass block. It is fun to dominate a player and move him around where you want him to be. You have to be prepared. I have good aggression and am a finisher.

DBN: You may not get to play the right tackle position once you get into the NFL.

Guyton: That would be challenging but I am ready for it. I have been waiting for this opportunity and think it is beautiful that I get to enjoy myself while I am playing in a role that holds value. I would get comfortable once I get into the position and work on getting the confidence.

DBN: How is practice different than actual live games?

Guyton: Playing the game and playing in practice is way different. Games are played faster, you get different looks, and you don’t know anybody’s rush moves. Knowing what to do, and knowing what not to do. Figuring something out as the game rolls along.

DBN: You consider yourself a leader?

Guyton: I have become way more vocal since I became a leader with everything I have done in college. I love it. I embrace every part of it - the good and the bad, the ugly and the pretty. It’s a grind for sure.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, syd said:

The Cleveland Browns will need to draft a young offensive tackle at some point. James Hudson struggled, and what will happen with Jed Wills and Jack Conklin? They need an infusion of youth to pair with Dawand Jones who will surely start on one side or the other. If the Browns want gigantic bookends, then this is their guy.

when ya got some time to kill..

Day 2 got going..

Starting at Guyton & run to end.. Guyton & Patrick Paul got some work to do, to catch up with Dawand Jones punch & correctly using long arms/hands.

Texas T Christian Jones #70 lost 1 rep in 3 days..(it's on here) Jones junior year at Texas was 12 games at LT

At around 9 mins. saw the same as Voch, about PFF scores on Jones.. Guyton's not projected to get to pick 32 

12 hours ago, Flugel said:

Google says the Ladd, McConkey is not related to Phil McConkey. so I, started looking at WR's that did Punt returns at College..(never wore a bandage or had a limp ;)

Returned Punt for TD in 2023?

A&M WR 2 TD *Ainias Smith @TexasAg1969 expected more at senior bowl

Texas WR Xavier Worthy 1 TD 

Wash. WR Rome Odunze 1 TD

USC WR *Brendon Rice  1 TD 

Kick Return TD

1 TD S.C WR *Xavier Legette

* at Senior Bowl

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Google says the Ladd, McConkey is not related to Phil McConkey. so I, started looking at WR's that did Punt returns at College..(never wore a bandage or had a limp ;)

Returned Punt for TD in 2023?

A&M WR 2 TD *Ainias Smith @TexasAg1969 expected more at senior bowl

Texas WR Xavier Worthy 1 TD 

Wash. WR Rome Odunze 1 TD

USC WR *Brendon Rice  1 TD 

Kick Return TD

1 TD S.C WR *Xavier Legette

* at Senior Bowl

Thanks Gumbs!   Will we get a "yeah but" from Mr Me-Aggies about that disappointment?  We gotta get the 12th Man weighed in here.

Back to McConkey, it would be nice if he fell to us.  I see a more stout version of Brian Brennan but just as quick and agile (coming off nagging injuries at the end of the season). Early projections show upper half of round 2 while he has the next couple months to improve upon that.

Is it possible to get immediate help at Left Tackle where we're drafting in round 2?   My guess is he'll have to have imperfections in spite of productivity on film or come from smaller school.  

21 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Thanks Gumbs!   Will we get a "yeah but" from Mr Me-Aggies about that disappointment?  We gotta get the 12th Man weighed in here.

Yeah but, there ain't no stats on sure handedness, but there is on a 15 yd average reception for 2023 and an 82 yd punt return. I've said from the beginning he gets open and catches plus returns both punts and ko's. He could save us a couple of positions in that triple role and not go fumbling the ball like we have seen so many times. Plus who was throwing to him? We were down to 4th string QBs and lost the guy who used him best right from jump street. Too bad A&M couldn't sign up a 38 y.o. has been.  LOL!😁 I'm tellin' ya now, somebody will get a steal if the Browns pass him by in the 3rd.

• Haha 1

I read something interesting a week or so ago but forgot to post it, so let me try and paraphrase it. The numbers might be slightly off, but you'll get the gist.

In the 2018 NFL Draft, there were something like 104 early-entry draft prospects. Guys who left with a year (or two) of years of college eligibility.

In the upcoming 2024 Draft, there's something like 54 early-entry guys. It's why many people are saying that the top of the draft is good, but the depth of the draft is not. 

(Ohio State, for example, only had a couple guys leave early for the Draft. The vast majority took NIL deals and are coming back for another season in Columbus)

13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

when ya got some time to kill..

Day 2 got going..

Starting at Guyton & run to end.. Guyton & Patrick Paul got some work to do, to catch up with Dawand Jones punch & correctly using long arms/hands.

Texas T Christian Jones #70 lost 1 rep in 3 days..(it's on here) Jones junior year at Texas was 12 games at LT

At around 9 mins. saw the same as Voch, about PFF scores on Jones.. Guyton's not projected to get to pick 32 

Unfortunately, we already reached to draft a very similar player (Wills)to Guyton at LT.  They're both guys with more of a RT comfort zone.  Watching them try to play LT looks like me trying to play golf.  They correct 1 thing at the expense of another mechanic and we have an uh-oh on our hands.  Inconsistency is inevitable with very little chance of fluidity. In fairness, I'm only watching 1 drill where the guy presenting was showing the same play over and over.  I wasn't nearly as excited about that LSU LG as the guy presenting his summary of it. He was talking/rewarding his hand placement and this kid would have gotten flagged because he had a firm grip on the jersey near the neck to the extent you could see the jersey pulled far enough away that you could see the defender's shoulder pads.  Not only that, he's was getting jolted back rather quickly.  That's usually an indication he's a little too high out of stance.  The Texas Tackle didn't really look all that gotta have for us either; but this was only from 1 very limited viewing of 1 drill.  

Edited by Flugel

31 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I read something interesting a week or so ago but forgot to post it, so let me try and paraphrase it. The numbers might be slightly off, but you'll get the gist.

In the 2018 NFL Draft, there were something like 104 early-entry draft prospects. Guys who left with a year (or two) of years of college eligibility.

In the upcoming 2024 Draft, there's something like 54 early-entry guys. It's why many people are saying that the top of the draft is good, but the depth of the draft is not. 

(Ohio State, for example, only had a couple guys leave early for the Draft. The vast majority took NIL deals and are coming back for another season in Columbus)

You're not too late because that's definitely worthy of note here.  Looking at our draft, we have 6 picks in the last 3 rounds which is about as exciting as reading posts from the Cheesecakes fan club.  The Browns have to nail that 2nd and 3rd round pick.  I hope they package up some of those later picks for earlier help.  It feels like we reach on a lot of guys that would be undrafted FAs anyway.