THE BROWNS BOARD

Alabama is a crazy place

Embryos are now people

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/02/20/alabama-supreme-court-frozen-embryos-ruling-ivf/72662533007/

So if you have some frozen embryos are they claimed as dependents? Not to mention just the regular process for IVF makes you a murderer in Bamas law 

And you have to love the chief justices opinion:

“We believe that each human being, from the moment of conception, is made in the image of God, created by Him to reflect His likeness. It is as if the People of Alabama took what was spoken of the prophet Jeremiah and applied it to every unborn person in this state: ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, Before you were born I sanctified you.’ Jeremiah 1:5 (NKJV 1982),” the opinion read.

Or

"In summary, the theologically based view of the sanctity of life adopted by the People of Alabama encompasses the following: (1) God made every person in His image; (2) each person therefore has a value that far exceeds the ability of human beings to calculate; and (3) human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself," Alabama Chief Justice Tom Parker wrote in an opinion attached to the ruling.

Alabama, which ranks near the bottom among states for education, and near the top for teenage pregnancy or infant death rate. Any surprise?

What a wild ass state

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

What a wild ass state

I saw Alabama rated #42.... you think the Justices didn't finish high school?

you were once an embryo - are you sad you were allowed to keep growing, at least physically?

th-1341809368.jpg.252f0b9e5155d3df489b384008ab013e.jpg

3 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Anyone actually agree with this ruling?

Well, if you happen to be a killer and murder a pregnant woman…you will be charged with a double homocide.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Well, if you happen to be a killer and murder a pregnant woman…you will be charged with a double homocide.

Is a frozen embryos in a test tube the same as a live child? 

That is the question at play here. Just seeing if anyone agrees with it. 

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Is a frozen embryos in a test tube the same as a live child? 

That is the question at play here. Just seeing if anyone agrees with it. 

At least you admit a pregnant woman is carrying a living thing, and not just a “clump of cells”.

• Upvote 1

I'm too tired to look but I'm just asking, what's the context?

The plans for these embryos, the reason they are frozen, are because they are intended to be used for future use which happens to be a living person.

In of itself, no I don't consider an embryo a living person(I don't think), but in this case they just may require protection that would deter some whackball from destroying them.

It's a pain to play along with you though because you falsely compare things. Ofcourse it's not the same as a living child in any case if you want to be technical.

However, a growing newborn inside a womans stomach is not the same as a small child either yet as a civil society we recognize it as a living being none the same and as such have introduced double homicide laws for killing pregnant women.

So, if a bunch of embryos are frozen with the intent to raise life, then sure, why not protect them? Some people are too stupid to respect that. It's a shame in todays society such a law would be needed.

"Alabama, which ranks near the bottom among states for education, and near the top for teenage pregnancy or infant death rate. Any surprise? " - Woody

Why would you equate that law, which is new or not even passed, to the reason for teenage pregnancy or infant death? Or why would ranking bottom for education have anything to do with this?

11 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

At least you admit a pregnant woman is carrying a living thing, and not just a “clump of cells”.

When I take a dump there are a bunch of living things pushed into the toilet. MAGA the stupidest cult in modern history.

On 2/21/2024 at 6:33 PM, MLD Woody said:

Alabama, which ranks near the bottom among states for education, and near the top for teenage pregnancy or infant death rate. Any surprise?

How does that relate to the decision?

I'll bet at least any member of Alabama's Supreme Court could give you the definition of a woman, unlike this Biden appointed SC Justice who could not.

1 hour ago, cccjwh said:

When I take a dump there are a bunch of living things pushed into the toilet. MAGA the stupidest cult in modern history.

You should know.

You were the first human known to be born as a result of anal sex.

48 minutes ago, cccjwh said:

When I take a dump there are a bunch of living things pushed into the toilet. 

I believe in your case that would be considered brain cells.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jax said:

I'm too tired to look but I'm just asking, what's the context?

The plans for these embryos, the reason they are frozen, are because they are intended to be used for future use which happens to be a living person.

In of itself, no I don't consider an embryo a living person(I don't think), but in this case they just may require protection that would deter some whackball from destroying them.

It's a pain to play along with you though because you falsely compare things. Ofcourse it's not the same as a living child in any case if you want to be technical.

However, a growing newborn inside a womans stomach is not the same as a small child either yet as a civil society we recognize it as a living being none the same and as such have introduced double homicide laws for killing pregnant women.

So, if a bunch of embryos are frozen with the intent to raise life, then sure, why not protect them? Some people are too stupid to respect that. It's a shame in todays society such a law would be needed.

"Alabama, which ranks near the bottom among states for education, and near the top for teenage pregnancy or infant death rate. Any surprise? " - Woody

Why would you equate that law, which is new or not even passed, to the reason for teenage pregnancy or infant death? Or why would ranking bottom for education have anything to do with this?

- in the standard process for IVF not every embryo that is created is used. 

- Alabama law is what is making the equivalency, not me

- A state making a stupid medical law and a state having bad medical/educational rankings is what I was showing

So do you think a frozen embryo is the same thing as a child, legally? That's what Bama is pushing 

48 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Probably not but I can kinda understand the reasoning.

WSS

It's easy to understand the reasoning for a lot of stupid things, that doesn't make them any less stupid. Especially since the reason here is not much more than just "Jesus!"

So you do or don't agree? What is "probably not"?

I just find it funny our conservative friends are torn between continuing to support some insanely right wing conservative religious nonsense and using their own common sense

(And when anyone on here argues that the right isn't moving further right, this ruling is a great example to prove them wrong)

• Haha 1

Just now, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Your siblings?🤣

His children... Pieces of shit , just like Ccunt boi...

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

I just find it funny our conservative friends are torn between continuing to support some insanely right wing conservative religious nonsense and using their own common sense

(And when anyone on here argues that the right isn't moving further right, this ruling is a great example to prove them wrong)

I find it tiring you are just absolutely immature and ignorant on just about every subject we talk about. That's aside from the fact all you like to do is tow the liberal line and bash the right as you follow your white supremacy guideline.

Religion is not nonsense and you are nobody to criticize it. Most intelligent people, even if they aren't religious, at least respect others beliefs.

However, this decision isn't based off religion, at least not alone from what little time I invested into research. As I surmised, this law was seemingly brought about due to some whack job destroying a bunch of embryos. No different than ripping apart a pregnant womans belly and destroying her growing embryo.

This is a complicated matter, too much so for your immaturity and ignorance. It's not a left or right issue, may not even be a religious issue depending on who is freezing their embryos. Of course I don't think we have the full details of this law, such as sometimes embryos are discarded but that decision is based off the patient who owns them. I think they should maintain that right.

https://www.jurist.org/features/2024/02/22/explainer-making-sense-of-alabamas-supreme-court-ruling-on-ivf/

LePage v. Mobile Infirmary Clinic, Inc. centered on three couples who underwent fertility treatments and subsequently lost several healthy embryos that had been preserved in their clinic. The court considered whether Alabama’s Wrongful Death of a Minor Act applies to extrauterine embryos.

As mentioned above, the LePage plaintiffs include three sets of parents, all of whom conceived via IVF, and all of whom were left with additional embryos that they opted to preserve at the Center for Reproductive Medicine’s fertility clinic for possible future use.

In 2020, an individual gained access to the fertility clinic through an unsecured door, removed several embryos from their cryogenic chamber, and then dropped them on the floor, destroying them.

The plaintiffs sued the fertility clinic under Alabama’s Wrongful Death of a Minor Act based on their argument that embryos are, for legal purposes, children. Proceedings in a lower trial court resulted in a decision that the Act was inapplicable, reasoning: “The cryopreserved, in vitro embryos involved in this case do not fit within the definition of a ‘person’ or ‘child.'”

How did the court rule and why?

Alabama’s Supreme Court summarized its ruling in the following terms:

The central question … is whether the Act contains an unwritten exception to that rule for extrauterine children — that is, unborn children who are located outside of a biological uterus at the time they are killed. Under existing black-letter law, the answer to that question is no: the Wrongful Death of a Minor Act applies to all unborn children, regardless of their location.

This conclusion was based on several findings, including:

1. The Act “applies to all children, without exception.” In addition to reviewing state case law, the court pointed to the 1864 edition of Webster’s dictionary, which was in circulation at the time of the law’s 1872 passage, which defined “child” as “the immediate progeny of parents.” It also argued that “as far back as the 18th century, the unborn were widely recognized as living persons with rights and interests,” citing Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Org., the 2022 US Supreme Court case that overturned Roe v. Wade.
  2. There is no legal precedent to “compel the creation of an unwritten exception for extrauterine children.” The defendants, which included the fertility clinic, had argued that there must be congruity between the definition of a person under state criminal and civil law, and that state homicide laws don’t encompass extrauterine embryos as victims, and thus the Act cannot be applied.  The court determined that even if this premise were true — “a question we have no occasion to reach” — it would not follow that the responsible party would be immune to civil liability.
  3. “The defendants’ public-policy concerns cannot override statutory text.” The defendants had also argued that finding extrauterine embryos were children for purposes of the Act would have negative public policy impacts. The court held that public policy fell into the realm of the legislature, not the judiciary. “It is not the role of this Court to craft a new limitation based on our own view of what is or is not wise public policy,” the decision read.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/confused-about-the-difference-between-frozen-embryos-and-egg-freezing-experts-break-it-down/ar-BB1iNa3F

Under what circumstances do patients discard frozen embryos?

It’s common in the IVF process to discard frozen embryos if they have genetic abnormalities or are no longer needed by the patient. “Couples who have completed childbearing might wish to discard any remaining embryos they have frozen,” says Stein. “Couples may also decide to discard embryos that have been deemed genetically abnormal by PGT testing,” or preimplantation genetic testing, which screens cells from embryos during the IVF process, including making sure embryos have the correct number of chromosomes before they are implanted in the patient. In some cases, abnormalities can mean “the embryo would likely not result in pregnancy, result in miscarriage or have a severe medical condition not compatible with life,” says Ahmad, so it may be discarded.

Under Alabama’s Wrongful Death Act, however, medical providers may be held legally responsible for discarding these embryos, or patients may find themselves having to cover the cost of storing their frozen embryos in perpetuity.

“The dust has not settled yet in Alabama regarding the effects of the ruling,” says Stein. “Couples are rightfully concerned that if embryos cannot be destroyed, the couples might be forced to use those embryos, leading to larger families than they had hoped for, or the couples would be forced to continue paying for storage indefinitely. Physicians and embryologists are concerned that any loss of embryos that occurs during the manipulation and transport of the embryos could lead to a wrongful death charge.”

The biggest impact right now, says Stein, is that “care for many in Alabama has been suspended due to clinics pausing care while the situation develops and until they can understand the ramifications.”

It kills me to think you are trying to make fun of conservatives for being torn for whatever reason you claim, as if being liberal you guys just do whatever you feel is common sense for yourself and hell with any moral ramifications. It also kills me your limited thinking process makes everything about left or right, which in actuality may be a result of the great divide going on in this country today. None the less, you don't have to be naive and fall for everything and in so doing truly fail in using your own common sense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jax said:

I find it tiring you are just absolutely immature and ignorant on just about every subject we talk about. That's aside from the fact all you like to do is tow the liberal line and bash the right as you follow your white supremacy guideline.

Religion is not nonsense and you are nobody to criticize it. Most intelligent people, even if they aren't religious, at least respect others beliefs.

However, this decision isn't based off religion, at least not alone from what little time I invested into research. As I surmised, this law was seemingly brought about due to some whack job destroying a bunch of embryos. No different than ripping apart a pregnant womans belly and destroying her growing embryo.

This is a complicated matter, too much so for your immaturity and ignorance. It's not a left or right issue, may not even be a religious issue depending on who is freezing their embryos. Of course I don't think we have the full details of this law, such as sometimes embryos are discarded but that decision is based off the patient who owns them. I think they should maintain that right.

https://www.jurist.org/features/2024/02/22/explainer-making-sense-of-alabamas-supreme-court-ruling-on-ivf/

LePage v. Mobile Infirmary Clinic, Inc. centered on three couples who underwent fertility treatments and subsequently lost several healthy embryos that had been preserved in their clinic. The court considered whether Alabama’s Wrongful Death of a Minor Act applies to extrauterine embryos.

As mentioned above, the LePage plaintiffs include three sets of parents, all of whom conceived via IVF, and all of whom were left with additional embryos that they opted to preserve at the Center for Reproductive Medicine’s fertility clinic for possible future use.

In 2020, an individual gained access to the fertility clinic through an unsecured door, removed several embryos from their cryogenic chamber, and then dropped them on the floor, destroying them.

The plaintiffs sued the fertility clinic under Alabama’s Wrongful Death of a Minor Act based on their argument that embryos are, for legal purposes, children. Proceedings in a lower trial court resulted in a decision that the Act was inapplicable, reasoning: “The cryopreserved, in vitro embryos involved in this case do not fit within the definition of a ‘person’ or ‘child.'”

The central question … is whether the Act contains an unwritten exception to that rule for extrauterine children — that is, unborn children who are located outside of a biological uterus at the time they are killed. Under existing black-letter law, the answer to that question is no: the Wrongful Death of a Minor Act applies to all unborn children, regardless of their location.

1. The Act “applies to all children, without exception.” In addition to reviewing state case law, the court pointed to the 1864 edition of Webster’s dictionary, which was in circulation at the time of the law’s 1872 passage, which defined “child” as “the immediate progeny of parents.” It also argued that “as far back as the 18th century, the unborn were widely recognized as living persons with rights and interests,” citing Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Org., the 2022 US Supreme Court case that overturned Roe v. Wade.
  2. There is no legal precedent to “compel the creation of an unwritten exception for extrauterine children.” The defendants, which included the fertility clinic, had argued that there must be congruity between the definition of a person under state criminal and civil law, and that state homicide laws don’t encompass extrauterine embryos as victims, and thus the Act cannot be applied.  The court determined that even if this premise were true — “a question we have no occasion to reach” — it would not follow that the responsible party would be immune to civil liability.
  3. “The defendants’ public-policy concerns cannot override statutory text.” The defendants had also argued that finding extrauterine embryos were children for purposes of the Act would have negative public policy impacts. The court held that public policy fell into the realm of the legislature, not the judiciary. “It is not the role of this Court to craft a new limitation based on our own view of what is or is not wise public policy,” the decision read.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/confused-about-the-difference-between-frozen-embryos-and-egg-freezing-experts-break-it-down/ar-BB1iNa3F

It’s common in the IVF process to discard frozen embryos if they have genetic abnormalities or are no longer needed by the patient. “Couples who have completed childbearing might wish to discard any remaining embryos they have frozen,” says Stein. “Couples may also decide to discard embryos that have been deemed genetically abnormal by PGT testing,” or preimplantation genetic testing, which screens cells from embryos during the IVF process, including making sure embryos have the correct number of chromosomes before they are implanted in the patient. In some cases, abnormalities can mean “the embryo would likely not result in pregnancy, result in miscarriage or have a severe medical condition not compatible with life,” says Ahmad, so it may be discarded.

Under Alabama’s Wrongful Death Act, however, medical providers may be held legally responsible for discarding these embryos, or patients may find themselves having to cover the cost of storing their frozen embryos in perpetuity.

“The dust has not settled yet in Alabama regarding the effects of the ruling,” says Stein. “Couples are rightfully concerned that if embryos cannot be destroyed, the couples might be forced to use those embryos, leading to larger families than they had hoped for, or the couples would be forced to continue paying for storage indefinitely. Physicians and embryologists are concerned that any loss of embryos that occurs during the manipulation and transport of the embryos could lead to a wrongful death charge.”

The biggest impact right now, says Stein, is that “care for many in Alabama has been suspended due to clinics pausing care while the situation develops and until they can understand the ramifications.”

It kills me to think you are trying to make fun of conservatives for being torn for whatever reason you claim, as if being liberal you guys just do whatever you feel is common sense for yourself and hell with any moral ramifications. It also kills me your limited thinking process makes everything about left or right, which in actuality may be a result of the great divide going on in this country today. None the less, you don't have to be naive and fall for everything and in so doing truly fail in using your own common sense.

171-1714386_1st-place-ribbon-png-download-free-measure-and.png

4 hours ago, Jax said:

Great copy and paste... Have you answered the question yet? Are embryos legally children?

Fyi, the judge writing the opinion on the matter referenced Christianity and God multiple times. I'm not deciding religion is influencing this, the judge in Bamas did. 

"Oh it's not left vs right. Why do you make it political" and "the great divide in this country!"

Give me a break...

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Great copy and paste... Have you answered the question yet? Are embryos legally children?

Fyi, the judge writing the opinion on the matter referenced Christianity and God multiple times. I'm not deciding religion is influencing this, the judge in Bamas did. 

"Oh it's not left vs right. Why do you make it political" and "the great divide in this country!"

Give me a break...

See, you're stupid and ignorant

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jax said:

See, you're stupid and ignorant

See, you still can't give an answer.

(While ignoring that you're wrong about this not being a religion influenced decision... But we can even put that the side for right now)

11 hours ago, cccjwh said:

I thought that MAGA was what you were talking about.

1 minute ago, Browns149 said:

Didn’t Trump say thus was a bad decision?

You need to keep the carrot out in front. Actually repealing Roe was a bad decision too. 

Same reason they don't actually want to do something to improve the situation at the border 

Reps want to keep the base active and voting to "save lives" or whatever holy war they think they're on. If they actually catch that car they don't know what to do... But then you get progressives / liberals fired up and mobilized (which we've seen numerous times since the roe ruling)

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Give me a break...

well, why do you demand to always ASK the questions, but you never answer them?

How can we know all the laws everywhere? Look it up yourself.

We are a nation under God because we have the freedom to SAY SO and we DO say so.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/268205/americans-believe-god.aspx

The minority has no right to fight every instance of American reality just because fighting makes them feel superior, and they demand to control American society.

fighting "Under God", fighting the definition of "woman", fighting respect for LIFE, fighting Christianity, the Bible, fighting decency and morality in American society, fighting the innocense and protection of children, fighting over the true definition of works like "MARRIAGE", fighting every republican that runs for office, fighting loyalty to your own country, fighting our economic system, and locally fighting for dominant control over this forum.

Fighting conservatives, ridiculing our military, fighting our support for Israel, fighting over every single subject that comes up....

why don't you, whoreta, mjphew, neo and cccommie give US a break, and start being decent contributing members instead of "haha" we are screwing with this forum haha garbage?

You troublemakers want "serious discussions" well, why don't you try STARTING ONE SOMETIME and knock off your garbage in your face haha crap?

Woodpecker, I keep saying it - someone asked me a question, I answered by telling about the time I nearly died in the woods. Right out of the gate, you ridiculed it for years.

But you all want "serious discussion" ???

You get what you dish out, and we didn't start the fire. You get burnt because of your own attitude.

Stop blaming everybody else. You are a victim of your own belligerence. have a nice day.

6 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

You need to keep the carrot out in front. Actually repealing Roe was a bad decision too. 

Same reason they don't actually want to do something to improve the situation at the border 

Reps want to keep the base active and voting to "save lives" or whatever holy war they think they're on. If they actually catch that car they don't know what to do... But then you get progressives / liberals fired up and mobilized (which we've seen numerous times since the roe ruling)

you love to say stupid crap and ask questions but you never answer. all your fault.

we don't want to fix the border?

please stop with the stupidassness.

Under Pres Trump - WE HAD THE BORDER CLOSED TO ILLEGALS. THAT IS WHAT WE WANT TO DO ABOUT IT AGAIN.

You keep making a big birds ASS of yourself.

tenor-1756796539.gif.ce4f03f9aea52c859c5400ea39170f3d.gif