THE BROWNS BOARD

■  🏈  The Official 2024 NFL Draft  ✔️ Day 2 Thread <--  RIGHT HERE !

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Love me some Mikey Hall, love Buckeyes staying home.  I question the price paid at #54 for a rookie 3 tech with some previous health issues. 

felt like a trade down to 60's from berry was coming..

We dress 4 DT's... Ika may get pushed to PS/ weekly inactive again ?  Felt like Colston or Wilson could push Tony Fields.. They must be high on Mo Diabate too?   I'm cool with w/ Mike Hall jr pick.. thinking AB's mindset stuck w/ Best player on his board... Maybe some medicals & higher position depth just got over ruled ?  Jim Schwartz ain't over that Texans playoff game yet !

15 picks to pick #85 

• mjp28 changed the title to ■  🏈  The Official 2024 NFL Draft  ✔️ Day 2 Thread <--  RIGHT HERE !
1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So I guess the Browns felt all those OL injuries last year was an aberration.

We'll see what happens in the upcoming #85 pick, but some days ago I said that I didn't think that this was the year that they would invest in an OT early.  I was thinking day 3 for a chance on a OT.  

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Yeah, it's a pipe dream.  Perhaps Sanders the TE that I wanted.

edit - missed him by 2 pick slots.  :(

I thought of you when he went just 2 spots before us.  Then we ended up wasting a 2nd round pick on a DT that only had 2 tackles for a loss and 1.5 sacks in 12 games in 2023 (with countless mismatches for carpe diem on the schedule).  He's a 3rd-4th round projection and his numbers reflect that.  

I remember when we did some lists of guys we wanted in various rounds - we both listed Brenden Rice. Before I could add Michigan's Roman Wilson - Pittsburgh just drafted him.  There's still some other good WRs out there...

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Perfect pick for the Browns. I like the 0 sacks allows last season.

It's a good spot for a G pick.  But I saw that he was ranked 4th round.  We don't have a 4th rounder so I guess we'd just take him in the 3rd.  :)  

Guess I was slightly off on McKinnley Jackson going in the 4th. Made it in the comp picks late in the 3rd. I just hope he does not prove better than OSUs DT the Browns picked up since he went to Cincy after Hall. But we shall see.

43 minutes ago, Orion said:

It's a good spot for a G pick.  But I saw that he was ranked 4th round.  We don't have a 4th rounder so I guess we'd just take him in the 3rd.  :)  

I don't like to bring fantasy in to reality, but with our draft position and lack of a 4th round pick, it can make sense to draft a round ahead of the other teams and get some of your targeted players.  No matter if Zinter had a 4th round grade, with no pick in the 4th you take him in the 3rd or wait and hope you get a 5th round target.  If any of you have played fantasy sports, you know what I am talking about.

I think the team sees a potential need for an interior lineman next year and felt it had to get on this year.  If Zinter was the next highest graded player at that position, just take him and regroup tomorrow.  It's not like a lot of the players we draft from this point forward will even make the team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Let's goooo

Once he's back to 100% Zinter can be a staple at guard for years to come. 

(I wonder if Corum and Wilson going right before affected that pick at all for us)

I definitely could have seen Wilson with the Browns pick... Not as high on Corum personally. 

Zinter is a solid pick for a team that doesn't need him to start in his rookie season. I never have a problem taking a Big Ten OLineman, especially from Ohio State, TTUN, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc... 

Mike Hall is an interesting pick if you consider the selection of Ika the year before... definitely contrasting styles. 

9 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I think the team sees a potential need for an interior lineman next year and felt it had to get on this year.  If Zinter was the next highest graded player at that position, just take him and regroup tomorrow.  That's drafting for need, which flies in the face of BPA.

It's not like a lot of the players we draft from this point forward will even make the team.

I agree to a degree.  In the later rounds your drafting players that you think could help you.  Just like after the draft.  You've already got your ideas on who you'd like to sign once the draft ends and the remaining players become free agents.  

I said back in February that, for a change, we're a BPA team.  We don't have a roster full of glaring needs right now.  Yes, I wanted to target a WR and a pass catching TE.  But that's because I'm acting as a fan...and not a GM.  With no 1st round pick we HAVE TO be successful with our 2nd & 3rd round picks...and to me that means NO REACHING.  Take the best darned player available.  (obviously we wouldn't pick a QB at that point in the draft)  You can target positions in the later rounds of the draft if ya want since basically many of those guys are just glorified free agents....but the obvious goal is to find the players of good value to add to your team.  As a season wears on and players get hurt, it's the teams that did a good job of acquiring those glorified free agents that continue to fill injury holes and keep on winning.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Just like after the draft.  You've already got your ideas on who you'd like to sign once the draft ends and the remaining players become free agents.  

Just like many teams. We've got our 5-6 bottom of roster churners, that now may lose spots to new draftees. 

Imagine the number of WR's & OL-men that will now get pushed down other teams rosters.. Teams built to win now GM's, might just take a pass on using any Day 3 picks due to new draft growth of both positions. Plucking PS's may have a higher grade of Day 3's?

other draft interest,

TE Harrison Bryant.. signs FA $ to Raiders.. Raiders move up to draft TE Brock Bowers  .. How ya feel'in today Harry ? 

Jets slide down one draft slot #11.. Take 2nd rated T Olu Fashanu ..   Mekhi  'Bye Bye' Becton 👋

stay tuned.. more should fall down rosters .. Enjoy Day 3 gents !

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Mike Hall is an interesting pick if you consider the selection of Ika the year before... definitely contrasting styles. 

And my concern is that the last similar sized OSU DT we took has not panned out with anyone (Togiai). Is Hall any better or will he get runover regularly just like Tommy T?

32 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And my concern is that the last similar sized OSU DT we took has not panned out with anyone (Togiai). Is Hall any better or will he get runover regularly just like Tommy T?

Hall is a far more athletic DTackle. 

Togiai was a super strong fire hydrant of a DTackle whose ceiling tapped out in college football. 

At worst, I think Hall is great depth guy inside. Obviously, you don't draft a guy in Round 2 to be just that, but I'd be surprised if he flamed out as quickly as TT did. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Concerned about health for both our day 2 picks. 

When he was on fire early, Mikey Hall was wrecking Notre Dame like Aaron Donald.  But he has missed some games. 

Man, Ohio State's depth at DLine was poop last year. That's right tia, I said poop.

I saw something on a podcast recently where it was mentioned that Sawyer and JTT played every snap of the game vs Notre Dame on the edge. 

Yes, they played every snap -- and not because the depth is poop.  Deep dive at tOSU incoming.. for whatever old-head reason, OSU doesn't rotate.  It's dumb for umpteen reasons... but they don't. Not at WR, not at DL, not at LB... you name the position.  Starter WR legs are dead by Michigan because they're out there running go routes late against Akron, that's why S Lathan Ransom got injured last season because he was playing late in a game they already had comfortably won, etc etc.

And if you think OSU DT depth last season was not there... that's a fried take, their DT room as a whole was at worst the equal of UM who had the #1 DT room in the country, and likely/arguably was better.  Same is true in upcoming 2024 season and possibly better in 2024.

And let's be clear: "Depth" doesn't magic a fr/so who isn't great into a starter.  The point of playing the young'uns is to decrease their role on that play or package to put them in positions to succeed within the decreased role so they get comfortable with the game.. so responsibilities can be expanded.  Some freshmen were great from the rip last season such as Jermaine Mathews and Malik Hartford.

Tia, have you heard anything of the so-called "personality red flags" that are guessed to be why Hall fell?

• mjp28 unpinned this topic
1 minute ago, Unsympathetic said:

Yes, they played every snap -- and not because the depth is poop.  Deep dive at tOSU incoming.. for whatever old-head reason, OSU doesn't rotate.  It's dumb for umpteen reasons... but they don't. Not at WR, not at DL, not at LB... you name the position.  Starter WR legs are dead by Michigan because they're out there running go routes late against Akron, that's why S Lathan Ransom got injured last season because he was playing late in a game they already had comfortably won, etc etc.

And if you think OSU DT depth last season was not there... that's a fried take, their DT room as a whole was at worst the equal of UM, and likely/arguably was better.  Same is true in upcoming 2024 season and possibly better in 2024.

Tia, have you heard anything of the so-called "personality red flags" that are guessed to be why Hall fell?

Yeah, that's probably a more accurate take on the situation, I guess what I meant was that the depth of the team wasn't used properly, thus making the DLine an artificially thin squad because yes, rotations have been questionable at Ohio State. I think at the RB position under Alford had been handled poorly... RB like Tre Sermon sitting on the bench so a mediocre Master Teague can get touches comes to mind, or how horribly Dallan Hayden was used, causing him to leave the program. 

33 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Yes, they played every snap -- and not because the depth is poop.  Deep dive at tOSU incoming.. for whatever old-head reason, OSU doesn't rotate. 

One of my largest critiques of tOSU coaching staff from Knowles to Hartline.      That's what I loved about Tress and Urby, young guys played and got that experience.

You could tell how smoked the Dline was 2nd half of The Game.  At that point they were on fumes. 

33 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Haven't heard a thing.  2nd round, middle of, was about the absolute highest I would have had Mikey's eval.  Would have been more comfortable in a middle 3rd rounder. 

On 4/26/2024 at 10:43 PM, MLD Woody said:

Let's goooo

Once he's back to 100% Zinter can be a staple at guard for years to come. 

(I wonder if Corum and Wilson going right before affected that pick at all for us)

The video conference in the Day 1 Thread  with Zinter and Hall side by side was entertaining to see the respect each new teammate has for the other.  The pleasant surprise of that is Zinter saying he's ready to go for the spring practices.  He's been told the fractures are healed and he's been cleared to practice.  It sure sounded like it's without restrictions.  Zinter also indicated, he was cross trained to play Center at Michigan if their Center couldn't answer the bell.  

Zinter is a GREAT kid now...

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Flugel said:

The video conference in the Day 1 Thread  with Zinter and Hall side by side was entertaining to see the respect each new teammate has for the other.  The pleasant surprise of that is Zinter saying he's ready to go for the spring practices.  He's been told the fractures are healed and he's been cleared to practice.  It sure sounded like it's without restrictions.  Zinter also indicated, he was cross trained to play Center at Michigan if their Center couldn't answer the bell.  

Zinter is a GREAT kid now...

Comes from a complete scumbag football program, of course, but he's a Brown now 😉

Hall should ask Zinter if he could get hold of Connor Stalions and see if he can do some scouting for the Browns... 

On 4/27/2024 at 12:48 PM, Unsympathetic said:

And if you think OSU DT depth last season was not there... that's a fried take, their DT room as a whole was at worst the equal of UM who had the #1 DT room in the country, and likely/arguably was better.  Same is true in upcoming 2024 season and possibly better in 2024.

And let's be clear: "Depth" doesn't magic a fr/so who isn't great into a starter.  The point of playing the young'uns is to decrease their role on that play or package to put them in positions to succeed within the decreased role so they get comfortable with the game.. so responsibilities can be expanded.  Some freshmen were great from the rip last season such as Jermaine Mathews and Malik Hartford.

I really like the Hall pick. Don't know about Zinter - no complaints.

https://atozsports.com/nfl-draft/2024-nfl-draft-mike-hall-jr-ohio-state-interview/

Ohio State DT and 2024 NFL Draft prospect Mike Hall Jr. turned a potential red flag into a strength

On 4/27/2024 at 12:21 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Hall is a far more athletic DTackle. 

Togiai was a super strong fire hydrant of a DTackle whose ceiling tapped out in college football. 

At worst, I think Hall is great depth guy inside. Obviously, you don't draft a guy in Round 2 to be just that, but I'd be surprised if he flamed out as quickly as TT did. 

Togiai was fast-twitchies-free.

Hall was born with fast twitchies.  My guess is we'll see him used in a lot of 1 gap, upfield penetration

Ika?  He's stuck on pause in handicapped parking.  That said, he's only been here 1 year. He's Polynesian so you know he bench presses Ford Rangers when he's not snacking between snacks.  He's clearly a 2-Gapper.

Then we have Tomlinson, Hurst, Hill all returning.

There's also the Rookie from Cincy.

I think we're ready.  Wait til Jimmy sees the food bill during training camp.

On 4/27/2024 at 9:41 AM, Orion said:

I agree to a degree.  In the later rounds your drafting players that you think could help you.  Just like after the draft.  You've already got your ideas on who you'd like to sign once the draft ends and the remaining players become free agents.  

I said back in February that, for a change, we're a BPA team.  We don't have a roster full of glaring needs right now.  Yes, I wanted to target a WR and a pass catching TE.  But that's because I'm acting as a fan...and not a GM.  With no 1st round pick we HAVE TO be successful with our 2nd & 3rd round picks...and to me that means NO REACHING.  Take the best darned player available.  (obviously we wouldn't pick a QB at that point in the draft)  You can target positions in the later rounds of the draft if ya want since basically many of those guys are just glorified free agents....but the obvious goal is to find the players of good value to add to your team.  As a season wears on and players get hurt, it's the teams that did a good job of acquiring those glorified free agents that continue to fill injury holes and keep on winning.

He was our 2nd pick.  I contend it wasn't a later round.

Teams have two boards.  A vertical board and a horizontal board.  The vert is simply a list of the BPA.  The horizontal is the board that fits the teams needs.  Teams match the two.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Togiai was fast-twitchies-free.

Hall was born with fast twitchies. 

I was honestly worried cal hacked your account for a second, buddy. 😉

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

He was our 2nd pick.  I contend it wasn't a later round.

Actually, my 'agree to a degree' response wasn't aimed at the Zinter pick...but at your comment about later round players probably not even making the team.  I think that in the late rounds your draft philosophy is more fluid.  You might draft a guy because he's quite athletic...and you're going to try and coach him up into a good NFL player (as Tia mentioned here somewhere).  Or maybe you decide just to throw bodies at position(s) of need.  It's much the same for the undrafted guys that you reach out to.  All of these guys are players that you want to get to know and evaluate.  Even though they may not make the team, you may need some of them during the season when position(s) get decimated with injuries.  You may end up ringing up a few of them to join your practice squad...and eventually maybe need one or two on your 53 before January rolls around.  Or you'll have to pluck one or two from practice squads around the league.   

The more of those late round guys that you draft (and acquire post-draft) that turn into real football players, is the more money that you don't have to spend in FA next season.

Currently, we have a 1st round pick the next time they hold the draft.  :)