THE BROWNS BOARD

Dan Pompei Says Mangini Will Get Axed

shepwrite

It doesn't matter what any of us believe.

There is a chance mangini will be fired. You have to look at holmgren. He took over the browns football operation to turn this around. How many times do guys get fired because he is not his guy? Mangini isn't his guy.

It will all come down to if holmgren can live with the difference in football ideals.

That logic worked after last season. That would've been the time to fire him. The team is heading in the right direction and I don't think it makes sense at this point to go back and start all over again with a new coaching staff.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was linked on OBR, thought it was worth bitching about. My personal opinion is this, since Choco so kindly asked for it: You can't argue that the team is more competitive. If they close strong, you can definitely make a case that Mangini be retained.

However, Holmgren is the top of the food chain and we all know he doesn't like Daboll's offense or playcalling and that's an issue that isn't simply going to evaporate. Can Mangini and Holmgren find peace with Holmgren's offense and Mangini's defense? Maybe. Or maybe Holmgren falls on his sword.

And my opinion on Haden has always been that he's very good. I didn't like the pick, which is different. I would have rather traded down a little, drafted Dez Bryant, and found a corner a little later. How do I feel now? I think the Browns are probably lucky I'm not the GM, because we have Haden, he's getting beastly, and we can draft our #1 WR next year. If McCoy is all that next year and Hardesty makes some noise? Pretty amazing draft for Heckert and one I admittedly wasn't all that stoked over.

Choco... have I been saying shitty things to you? Do you not feel a little weird being an ass to me when I never say anything remotely nasty to you? I would, but that's me.

No one that I watched the draft with thought that our draft was anygood until we got Colt McCoy in the 3rd since we thought we would get him in the 2nd. The only thing we could say was we will see when the season starts and so far we haven't been disapointed. It kind of sucks to see our 4th and 5th round picks not make the team, but Mitchel is still approving and Lauvao is too and I can't wait to see how good Hardesty is next year and well we all know how well the other three picks have worked for us.

no....i dont shep. not at all.

its your demeanor....your agenda. leading up to the draft, thru training camp, and the beginning of the season we had to endure your opinion about this franchise cause youre so right all the time. now you skip back and forth between the boards with little gems like this to continue your attempts to assert your opinion...clinging to any evidence that may lay credence to you being right. while over at spec board, you defamed this board many...many times. they ran you out and you come crawling back like nothing happened. you failed to eat your crow there, and you wont do it here either.

had you not run your mouth about us to the extent you did, i may not care. months and months of dawging haden cause you didn't like the pick. the kids in the running for DROY and not a xxxxing peep from you. what irks me is you still dont even recognize just how poorly your predictions and player evaluations are....you still think your shit doesnt stink.

so, no shep. i have no problem calling it like i see it. you fight and fight with everyone and anyone to prove your correct, then move on to the next topic when your wrong. you ran from here cause we're ignorant assholes, ran from specs board when they got sick of your shit....just why the xxxx are you here? we were just fine without you....better without you. is your list of friends that short that u have nowhere else to go?

xxxx that....

Wow, people are Retarded. You know I'm not sure why people take things so personal. People get so mad about opionions, the only people I truley dislike is steeler fans.

imagine how boring this board would be if we all thought the same.

Heartily agree Rebel... bring back the Rich and Ghoolie Show when the Boys were still primetime material and let's really start stirring up shit!!!!

As a party of one, I always enjoy reading Shep's posts. And Zombo's. And Alo's. And Fluges. And Stan's. And Larry's. And way too many more to list, but the all reasons the Browns Board is on my bookmark bar...

The more the merrier. Isn't that why we're all here?

p.s. though I did put a block on Lummy.

Just another writer stiff looking for something to try to predict, he knows nothing. Neither does the media here, there are a lot of radio and TV guys running around like they have some sort of insider info that Mangie will be let go, I guess they talk with the Walrus personally. Firing Mangie will be stupider then giving Dexter The Serial Drive Killer that big contract and spending a first and second on Queen. It will set this franchise back once again for quite a few years.

These guys that love to bitch about Mangie's draft last year kill me in that they forget we barely had any picks before he got here. He got us picks and a bunch of needed bodies to form part of the team's nucleus, the same guys who bought in and get others to buy in. Then you factor in the Benard's, Roth's, Moore's, Schaefering's and such for nothing and I'd say that more than makes up for failing with Veikune and some of the bottom of the draft guys like Francies {who is back with the team BTW---and Don "Soon singing at a club near you" Carey--who starts with Jax now.} I also recall a ton of people sporting oak over James Davis as the steal of the draft or something etc. Carey got plucked by a pretty taboo maneuver by Jax, one that if Mangie would have made all we would hear about nationally with dbags like Florio is how slimeballish Mangie is. Kaluka Maiava has contributed plenty in a backup and special team role, it's not like every fourth rounder (the great Beaumont Bell anyone?--our Thumper) kicks ass and makes Pro Bowls every year. Phillip drafted that stupid fook and he had a learning disorder to go along with Olive Oyl ankles dat da ich would have been proud of......or sumtin.

I got news for folks too, Robo and Momass ain't failures yet. Sure we need some more playmakers, but let me ask folks this: How good would Austin Collie or Pierre "The Waiter" Garcon be here right now?

Robo and MoMass (once MoMass gets better at route adjustments--which comes with QB familiarity) can be decent WR's in this league, so don't pour the champagne just yet on predicting them as failures. Robo was considered the most pro ready of that draft's bunch and that was what we needed desperately at the time. Let's give Colt a season with these guys and some consistency, especially with another weapon or two to help. I don't see any Reginald Wayne's or Dallas Clark's running around here right now.

Veikune was a bust, that is a given. He is the type that sometimes you strike gold on, but in this case he was another "Chihuahua in a Meat Market". I certainly ain't bitching about Alex Freaking Mack. Not sure if folks know this or not, but centers are kinda important in this league--just a tad. Ask Pittsburgh, those fooks just nailed a great one in Pouncey....again.

I'll take the Former Manzere's offseason last year over any one of Phillip's----ever!!! Drafting the few guys Phillip did with stiffs RAC 'n ROLLS didn't even want killed this franchise, and Mangie got the job of trying to dig us out of it. When you look back at last year's draft, rather than staring at that second round, how about looking at guys like Elam, Coleman, Stuckey, Barton, Bowens, Trusnik, Bubba Ventrone, Blake Costanzo---finding Hodges---developing Rubin and this year Yates---being a huge proponent of getting Hillis---the list goes on.

Really folks, go back and compare our roster two years ago to what it is now, you will shit. Not all of that was done this past offseason by Walruses' "Saviors of the Universe", I assure you.

We have a great combo of a young, solid, disciplined and well schooled system coach with great leadership and front office skills----all backed by Big Money Randy---a guy who doesn't get near enough credit for caring the way he does. We are going to be real good, and soon, but built the right way from inside out. Firing Mangie, regardless of the outcome of the last four games, would be the dumbest move this franchise has done in a long time, and they've done a few. I can't imagine for a second The Walrus is that stupid.

Heartily agree Rebel... bring back the Rich and Ghoolie Show when the Boys were still primetime material and let's really start stirring up shit!!!!

As a party of one, I always enjoy reading Shep's posts. And Zombo's. And Alo's. And Fluges. And Stan's. And Larry's. And way too many more to list, but the all reasons the Browns Board is on my bookmark bar...

The more the merrier. Isn't that why we're all here?

p.s. though I did put a block on Lummy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The thing is, I'm here for information and entertainemnt.

I recall when i first joined here there was a whole thread dedicated to bashing shpewrite. I'm not sure why? I'm a much bigger ass, all I get is blocked or the occassional sarcastic email.

Btw, zombos post are the best on here. The guy cracks me up.

I didn't get that from the article. Anyway, sounds like he was one paragraph short and just stuck that in there. I don't think he has any special knowledge that no one else has. Maybe he knows there is speculation 'cause he started it himself. With the relative success he has had I think Mangini's job is safe.

Sports reporters in general are ethically one step below used car salesman and one step above Karl Rove.

AFC North final say

James Walker: Mangini is doing a better job of coaching this year. But I think Holmgren's decision is yet to be determined, so it's hard to say either way. It will come down to the team's performance in these final four games. The next two weeks are huge. The Browns have to beat the Buffalo Bills and Cincinnati Bengals, who are a combined 4-20. Beating the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers are much stiffer challenges. But the philosophical differences are legit, because if the Browns aren't winning enough under Mangini, the people in the front office can always point to what they would do different. If Mangini finishes 8-8, he should be safe. But if he goes 7-9 or less, that would place a difficult decision in Holmgren's hands.

And trust me, Holmgrem and Gruden are close.

Luckily Holmgren isn't an idiot that bases everything off of final W-L (7-9 is almost no different than 8-8), but rather improvement and progress. These idiots should look at the Browns roster and then look at the top team's rosters and see the difference. Mangini is doing a great job for what he has and if he had a roster like the Saints, Falcons, Ravens, etc, we would be a playoff team every year.

And it's not about the losses, it's how you lost them, and the majority of the losses came from competing hard until the very end when some crucial mistakes occurred by the players(Delhomme in Tampa for example), being 5-7 with most of your losses being blow outs and being 5-7 with most of your losses being competitive is way different. If anyone out there honestly thinks Gruden(or any coach in general) would have this team(with the current roster) in the playoffs this year, then you're delusional.

It amazes me how many fans and writers alike are complete morons when it comes to judging a team or coach.

Another fire Mangini to hire Gruden mention. If Gruden was born in Dakota - would he perceived this well? THANK GOD Bob Stoops, Bo Pelini or Jerry Faust haven't mentioned they're interested in the Browns job.

I'm amazed at how wonderful the accomplishment of lighting the Ratbirds Defense up with 3 points in 60 minutes makes Gruden the very next Mr Wonderful for Cleveland. If memory serves me right, didn't Bill Callahan lead Oakland to a Superbowl Sunday? So who accomplished more with the same personnel? Who gives a rat where he was born or went to high school. For anyone that wants to inform me the Bucs won a Superbowl with Gruden - they couldn't have done it without 4 INT returns for TDs from the defense Monte Kiffen Coordinated.

You don't fire a GOOD head coach to hire a GOOD head coach unless you want to repeat the process for 2 decades like we've just FREAKIN witnessed. And I don't feel like sayin FREAKIN. In the 80s, Cleveland was a GREAT place for someone to consider coming to coach here. Today, people are putting for sale signs in the head coach's lawn before the contract ink dries. Suddenly coaches that were ecstatic to coach in Cleveland during the 80s gave us "no thank you's" in 2009. I think we can be a little more appreciative to Mangini and his staff for all of their efforts to take this challenge on. Folks, the elite candidates weren't exactly lining up at Lerner's door in 2009.

Most recently, all the post game shows everywhere that used to laugh at the Browns are giving them serious respect weekly. What do you think they'll say if Mangini gets fired? "They're ripping it right back down to the ground in Cleveland again. It's gonna be about 3-4 years before we know if that was worth it." It means cleaning the coaching staff the players are believing in. It could also mean purging out all the 2 gap defensive players they have for 1 gap guys. May not sound like much; but when we're just 1 x-factor at WR away, 1 more corner/Safety and 1 pass rusher away - it's gonna involve a lot more roster purging than people expect. This will have been an epic waste of time.

Point? Be careful what you wish for. FWIW, the last time Holmgren coached a roster like the one we have now he was 4-12. The last time Joe Gibbs had one like it - he retired for good. When somebody gets in the batter's box, sometimes they perform their best work after the second swing. This staff deserves a 3rd season. O line coach George Warhop has our running game going through 8-9 men in the box. RBs coach Gary Brown closed 09 strong and has Hillis performing his best work as a pro. STs Coach brad Seely has our punt coverage teams leading the NFl with down punts inside the 10 yard line, Bryan Cox has done a great job with the dline and his best work can be seen in Rubin with firing out lower and playing with better leverage. The defense is making plays and turnovers. The biggest enbemy is 3 Qbs in walking boots plus key players like Scott Fujita and Cribbs and Pashos gettigng injured when this team doesn't have a series of good drafts behind it yet.

- Tom F.

There are to many people whos ego wont let them admit they were wrong in wanting him out so soon. I can honestly say I was not a Mangini fan and I am glad to say I was wrong. Theres still room for improvement obviously. But I dunno how you can fire him with how the teams progressing.

I don't root for a coach or player over my team. If Mangini, for some odd reason gets shit-canned, I'll still be a Browns fan.

With that being said...

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I honestly don't see how this "Mangini is going to get fired talk" has legs to run on. The team is noticeably better. Our record will be better than last years, unless we somehow tank these last games, which I highly doubt. The team plays 100% the whole game and doesn't quit. When was the last time you saw that? There is noticeable improvement from last years team.

We finally have a coach here who looks like he, along with a competent FO, is building a contending team. The right way. Not like the Cardinals who made it to a Super Bowl and now look like a shadow of their former selves. Not like the Bengals who make a few playoff runs then are back down in the dumpster of the NFL and playing like complete shit. I'm sure there are a few other teams I can throw out there who had one season where they were contenders only to become pretenders the next year.

We have something special coming together here guys. We need to have patience and the winning seasons will start to come.

Coach Mangini has this team playing as hard and smart as any team in the league. The team has been competitive every Sunday with average talent at best in several key positions. His QB injury problems

have significanlty impacted his efforts to develop an effective, evolving offensive identity. I don't doubt for a second that he has the full support of MH. Anything less would be an injustice to Coach Mangini,

his team and Browns fans. Let the out-of-town hacks speculate all they want.

For a smarter take, here's Bill Simmons:

Browns (+1) over BILLS

I don't care if Jake Delhomme might be involved -- the Browns are one fumble and one 80-yard screen pass from a six-game winning streak right now. In the "Which coach is least likely to get fired?" power rankings, has Eric Mangini vaulted above Rex Ryan or am I crazy?

There's so much over-reporting these days, it about makes me want to puke. No source, no nothing just "specualtion". STFU already. I heard Jerry Jones offered Bill Belichick $50 million a year to coach the Cowboys.

I can't add much to Riff's excellent take- but I'm firmly in the pro-Mangini camp. And that's pretty amazing, as I was totally in the Can-gini camp before the Browns went on the end of season win streak last year. Yeah- some busts in the 2009 draft. I'll give him a mulligan. The 2010 draft, if repeated will put the Browns in contention once again.

The whiners cried at the time- but look at this- Watson is having a better season than the departed WinSLOW (with due respects to Ghoolie). And FWIW, his knee isn't totally shot either, and the Browns aren't paying him a ton of money.

I can't add much to Riff's excellent take -

The whiners cried at the time- but look at this- Watson is having a better season than the departed WinSLOW (with due respects to Ghoolie). And FWIW, his knee isn't totally shot either, and the Browns aren't paying him a ton of money.

Good points about Riffer's post. That thing was packed with goodies and hilarious nicknames. I think he nails the part about young Wrs and Alex Mack in particular.

Anway, I remembered how devastated people were about Winslow and nehative about Watson. BB LOVES those TEs in round one (wanted Kyle Brady, snagged Ben Watson & Daniel Graham). Anyway, what got forgot is PHIL SAVAGE was 100% the reason Winslow lost any interest in staying in Cleveland 1 more day. If Winslow and poppa Winslow wanted to be jerks - I think there was a disturbing HIPPA violation they could have sued Savage for when testies became grapefruits under the acorn and somebody leaked some info to the public they shouldn't have. As far as being a COMPLETE TE, Winslow couldn't ever set the edge blocking so when he came in it was pretty predictable what we could only do. The guy could never practice and I think it really began to hinder and handcuff him in terms of consistency. Plus, it's not like we already had the most accurate QBs around.

Alot of the Mangini stereotypes came from the NY media presenting him as a football background of ballboy only. And then we research reality and this was his start leading up to coaching:

"Mangini played nose tackle at Division III Wesleyan University and holds the school's single-season (11.5) and career (36.5) sacks records[1]. During the second semester of his junior and senior years, he coached the Kew Colts, a semi-professional football team in Melbourne, Australia, to two regional championships.[2] Mangini joined the Chi Psi Fraternity that coaching mentor Bill Belichick, a Wesleyan alumnus, was part of two decades earlier."

Therefore, when some former towel boy that can conjugate verbs and get revenge on former atheletes with a freakin pc & keyboard - try to remember it's only fractional truths.

- Tom F. (That light at the end of the tunnel isn't the headlamp of an oncoming train any more - it's just Peyton Hillis)

I cant spell, that is obvious..

BTW, my real name is matt. WRREBEL is my stipper name.

Classic stuff! When you can't spell your occupation - I'm a BIG fan! God bless ya! Let's hope that job name wasn't dislexic for KEEBLER or you're gonna be looking for a new line of work reeeel soon.

Who gives a rat about spelling? It's overrated. Just keep a sense of humor man...

- Tom F.

Good points about Riffer's post. That thing was packed with goodies and hilarious nicknames. I think he nails the part about young Wrs and Alex Mack in particular.

Anway, I remembered how devastated people were about Winslow and nehative about Watson. BB LOVES those TEs in round one (wanted Kyle Brady, snagged Ben Watson & Daniel Graham). Anyway, what got forgot is PHIL SAVAGE was 100% the reason Winslow lost any interest in staying in Cleveland 1 more day. If Winslow and poppa Winslow wanted to be jerks - I think there was a disturbing HIPPA violation they could have sued Savage for when testies became grapefruits under the acorn and somebody leaked some info to the public they shouldn't have. As far as being a COMPLETE TE, Winslow couldn't ever set the edge blocking so when he came in it was pretty predictable what we could only do. The guy could never practice and I think it really began to hinder and handcuff him in terms of consistency. Plus, it's not like we already had the most accurate QBs around.

Alot of the Mangini stereotypes came from the NY media presenting him as a football background of ballboy only. And then we research reality and this was his start leading up to coaching:

"Mangini played nose tackle at Division III Wesleyan University and holds the school's single-season (11.5) and career (36.5) sacks records[1]. During the second semester of his junior and senior years, he coached the Kew Colts, a semi-professional football team in Melbourne, Australia, to two regional championships.[2] Mangini joined the Chi Psi Fraternity that coaching mentor Bill Belichick, a Wesleyan alumnus, was part of two decades earlier."

Therefore, when some former towel boy that can conjugate verbs and get revenge on former atheletes with a freakin pc & keyboard - try to remember it's only fractional truths.

- Tom F. (That light at the end of the tunnel isn't the headlamp of an oncoming train any more - it's just Peyton Hillis)

Fluges,

Good stuff on Winslow. I never disliked Kellen as much as I did BE. Kellen was a player and he was a competitor as well. I wonder how it would have been for him sans injuries early in his career. Did I think he was a punk coming out of college? Of course, but when he was healthy and playing here I couldn't complain. Yes, he was a terrible blocker, but so is Evan Moore and that's why he got cut and that's why when he's in the game for us he's usually split out wide.

But the move to TB was a good one for Kellen. He needed a fresh start elsewhere, although I wonder how Mangini was able to make it work with Shaun Rogers but not Kellen.

As far as Mangini getting axed, the people arguing it for it to happen can only bring SPECULATION on what they THINK MIGHT happen. I will stick to facts: This team is competitive EVERY week. This team is BETTER than a year ago at this time. Mangini has his players EXPECTING to win.

What we Browns fans are seeing is coaching in the NFL at its best. Fujita and Robaire go down (argueably the Browns to best defensive players) but Mangini and the CS make the adjustments and we still ball out on the darkside. The offense goes thru 3 QB's, 6 changes at right tackle,1 damn running back.. loses Cribbs BUT they manage to adjust,re-adjust, and re re adjust..no crying or woe is me complaining from the CS..I know the "intelligent" Brown fans appreciate what there witnessing from Coach Mangini and his staff..and if you aren't.. you should...SERIOUSLY...GO BROWNS

There are to many people whos ego wont let them admit they were wrong in wanting him out so soon. I can honestly say I was not a Mangini fan and I am glad to say I was wrong. Theres still room for improvement obviously. But I dunno how you can fire him with how the teams progressing.

Good post Joe... had really mixed emotions about last year's winning streak... I hated that any easy schedule saved Mangini's job... and I continue to be frustrated by his lack of in game adjustments... but the team is playing hard for him, and we're progressing! As a Browns fan that's a real start.

I just wish we had an better offensive scheme.

Good post Joe... had really mixed emotions about last year's winning streak... I hated that any easy schedule saved Mangini's job... and I continue to be frustrated by his lack of in game adjustments... but the team is playing hard for him, and we're progressing! As a Browns fan that's a real start.

And the FACT the Browns now have the NFL's toughest schedule tells you something about Mangini and his staff with out mentioning the 150 point differential improvement from 09..The FACT this team has been decimated by injuries(too many to list) and Mangini and staff have made all the personal adjustments and still have won 4 out of 6 games..Its called excellent coaching

We have all seen MANY on this board who were "anti-Mangini" do a turn around & acknowledge his accomplishments of this season. I find it almost unbelievable that anyone could actually FAIL to see the vast improvement in this team. Given strength of schedule, injuries, talent level, & inexperience at some positions, I can hardly BELIEVE what he has accomplished in light of all that & I have always been a Mangini backer. Just goes to prove the old adage, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going".

We've got our Coach, let's stick with him.

Mike

I'm sort of Switzerland on the coaching thing, or maybe just cloudy and undecided... but I think we need to rethink the offense, not just add a WR.

The coaching change talk is just plain goofy. Look at the sentiment on this Board, about 10-1 to keep Mangini. i talk with Browns fans everyday at work, lunch, evenings, and the ratio is about the same. The only goofballs keeping this talk alive is the national media and, locally, WKNR and some writers at the PD. Who do they represent? What is their agenda? To have a colorful, media friendly HC?

Holmgrem? Gruden? Ryan?

Screw KNR and Mary Kay.

It doesn't matter what any of us believe.

There is a chance mangini will be fired. You have to look at holmgren. He took over the browns football operation to turn this around. How many times do guys get fired because he is not his guy? Mangini isn't his guy.

It will all come down to if holmgren can live with the difference in football ideals.

Well....if Holmgren can't adjust, then he can leave. I would rather see Mangini stay and finish the job, then have Holmgren take over as HC.....but that's just me.

Well....if Holmgren can't adjust, then he can leave. I would rather see Mangini stay and finish the job, then have Holmgren take over as HC.....but that's just me.

For the sake of honesty, I'll feel that way about Mangini when he has some playoff wins under his belt... and maybe a Super Bowl victory. Until then, I'll rank both Holmgren and Chuckie above him as NFL coaches.

I feel good about the progress. I think we're really, really light in the passing game, especially downfield and to WRs. It's a passing league and a QB league and we need to catch up. I don't believe in Daboll on offense as much as I do Mangini on defense.

Holmgren and my main love gruden are light years above mangini. (Right now)

I don't undestand the faith people have in a un proven guy.. mangini right now reminds me of wayne fontes. Maybe doing just enough to save his job. If he can get to the play offs I will put him with wade philips.

Archived