THE BROWNS BOARD

Colts Days As A Starter Should Be Over.

Jibz

I think this game shows that Colt is just not a good QB. Seneca came in and the receivers were getting the ball between their numbers not at their feet or over their heads.

I would have loved a win today but... for the first time in a while the offense wasn't as offensive as it usually is. Our guards do a better job when the QB isn't holding onto the ball all day long. We will see Seneca for the rest of this year, I know where going to lose... but at least we may see the end of Colt.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was it 2 weeks ago when Little dropped 5 passes? a lot of them were good throws too. Theres no way colts days as a starter should be over. I CANT STAND typical impatient Browns fans. People Like you are the reason they're always going to suck. You do realize that Colt has 0 talent to throw to right? No one can get open and we have no play makers. Besides Joe Thomas we also dont have an offensive line to protect and give colt time. Ya know the kid didnt have any time to practice or learn the new offense that the new coach wants to run because of the lockout, but hey, he didnt win a super bowl in his first year starting so lets hang him! Go ahead draft another qb and stick him in there with what colts got to work with and we can all sit around and whine and cry again next year. whatever we do lets no give anyone a legit chance right? morons

So you think its the recivers fault that the ball is thrown over their head or at their feet that majority of the time... Wise up dude! Colt is not the answer! Greg Little had the best day of his short football career today... why? There was a half decent QB throwing the ball at his numbers. Colt sucks and your blind! Colt is a backup QB and has a noodle arm...tell me the game today wasn't more fun to watch with Senica and hes a lifetime backup... Come on wise up!

So you think its the recivers fault that the ball is thrown over their head or at their feet that majority of the time... Wise up dude! Colt is not the answer! Greg Little had the best day of his short football career today... why? There was a half decent QB throwing the ball at his numbers. Colt sucks and your blind! Colt is a backup QB and has a noodle arm...tell me the game today wasn't more fun to watch with Senica and hes a lifetime backup... Come on wise up!

So you liked Seneca dropping back 15 yards to throw the ball at Hillis's feet? Or that Seneca attempts 5 yard out routes to the receivers on every other play? Let's face it, he is really no better than McCoy and has no upside. McCoy can at least improve. I'm not totally against drafting a QB but saying Wallace is better than McCoy is comical..

I think we saw what we needed to see in yesterdays game.

While Wallace isn't thew answer, his play highlights the fact Colt isn't the answer either.

Wallace was hitting guys in stride and on time. All of a sudden the receivers looked open, made catches and didn't drop the ball.

Colt is just a little bit late in everything he does on the football field, and that split second is what leads receivers in to concussions, dropped balls, and an anemic offense.

I have a feeling, whether true or not, Colt is going to still have headaches the next two weeks and we will see Wallace finish out the season.

So you liked Seneca dropping back 15 yards to throw the ball at Hillis's feet? Or that Seneca attempts 5 yard out routes to the receivers on every other play? Let's face it, he is really no better than McCoy and has no upside. McCoy can at least improve. I'm not totally against drafting a QB but saying Wallace is better than McCoy is comical..

Yes. I agree with him. The screens were covered like white on rice, and it's not Seneca's fault if the defense recognizes the screen. He did everything right on those plays. If you throw the ball to Hillis, he gets hit while he catches it, and there's a good chance of an interception off a tipped ball, not to mention that you'd lose yards.

Agreed. Greg Little having his best game of the season with Wallace was not a mere coincidence. How confident was I that Little would play well with Seneca? Well I picked up and started Greg Little in my Fantasy playoffs. 19 Fantasy Points from him led me to a win. Little can play. Colt McCoy has some talent around him. Not Pro Bowl or Hall of Fame talent, but there's enough for him not to play as terrible as he's played. So enough with the zero talent excuse.

Although Seneca looked better then Colt I don't think he should be our starter...he is in no way the QB the Browns should be happy with. Its time to look for a QB since Colt is not the answer.

Agreed. Greg Little having his best game of the season with Wallace was not a mere coincidence. How confident was I that Little would play well with Seneca? Well I picked up and started Greg Little in my Fantasy playoffs. 19 Fantasy Points from him led me to a win. Little can play. Colt McCoy has some talent around him. Not Pro Bowl or Hall of Fame talent, but there's enough for him not to play as terrible as he's played. So enough with the zero talent excuse.

That's an interesting point. Little did have a great game, but Mccoy deserves another year. We NEVER give quarterbacks chances. Let McCoy have an offseason, learn, develop, practice. He just needs to get used to the speed of the game. Give it time for once.

I stated this on another thread, but it applies here as well. Wallace played yesterday against the 20th ranked defense in the league, 22nd verse the pass and 17th scoring. He SHOULD have looked good in that game. You cannot compare his performance yesterday to that of Colt. They have not faced the same defenses.For example...Colt has faced the #1 overall defense (Pittsburgh), the #1 padding defense (Pittsburgh), and the #1 scoring defense (San Francisco). He put up over 200 yards in each of those games. Only 3 of the teams Colt played against had worse passing defenses than Arizona...Indy, Miami, and Oakland. Colt put up wins in 2 of those 3 games. He did what he had to do in those games. He is by far not the best QB in the league, but he has earned the chance to continue to develop along with the rest of this offense. I will not say that Colt is the answer for the future of this team. I am stating that there will be no QB for the future of this team if we just continue to let the door revolve and don't get some continuity at the position.

Yes. I agree with him. The screens were covered like white on rice, and it's not Seneca's fault if the defense recognizes the screen. He did everything right on those plays. If you throw the ball to Hillis, he gets hit while he catches it, and there's a good chance of an interception off a tipped ball, not to mention that you'd lose yards.

I'm not saying Wallace should have actually thrown the ball to Hillis in those situations. I'm saying that he doesn't need to drop back 15 yards on every pass play. Screen or no screen, Wallace drops way to far back on every play. My main point is that I would rather play a QB with potential than a career backup. And again, I'm not opposed to getting a QB in the draft, but we have so many other needs I am scared that we pick the wrong QB and are set back another several years..

Good point LCdawgfan, colt has played MUCH TOUGHER defenses. To jibz, no the game wasnt anymore fun to watch, actually it was worse because they LOST in OT after being up 17-7. If I remember right wallace is used to this style of offense that Shurmer likes right? Well Colts had no time to learn or practice it. Sure hes made some bad throws here and there but when you're O-line is weak you have to run for your life and sometimes you're just not set to throw the ball. Ive liked the browns forever but they are becoming like the buckeyes to me now. The Retarded fans are beginning to ruin it for me. Like I said earlier lets be sure to not give anyone a legit chance EVER!!! You guys do realize how ridiculous that is right? In a way I hope they do draft another QB just so next year I can come back on here and listen to the same people b!tch about how hes not the answer and we need to move on. Give a coach, QB, and a team 4 or 5 years of playing together and you'll see results, or like some of you are suggesting and probably have every year, lets move on so we can have another 5 or 6 seasons with 5 wins. Im in no way shape or form saying Colt is definatly the guy, but I think hes smart, talented, and will put forth all the time and effort he can to win ball games and get better. I cant stand living in Ohio because of all the idiotic sports fans in this state!!!

So you feel its better to stay with a moderately skilled QB then go find a franchise or at least 1st round QB that has real potential.

I'm confused by that statment....

You are now talking apples and oranges. The one question is "who should play, Wallace or McCoy". The answer to that may in fact be: "it don't matter, they both seem to have about the same skill set".

The other question is "should the Browns go out and get another QB." OK, maybe....but these geniuses better damn well get the choice right.

that "ball at Hillis' feet" was because Seneca was throwing it away--that screen was doomed regardless and it was actually a smart, heads-up play by Seneca.

the "5 yard out routes" are a staple in the WCO--SW is just executing the plays shrrrmmmrrrr calls. key word there-executing. don't kill the messenger as they say.

^^ imo worst post you've ever made here BBB2. by far.

That's an interesting point. Little did have a great game, but Mccoy deserves another year. We NEVER give quarterbacks chances. Let McCoy have an offseason, learn, develop, practice. He just needs to get used to the speed of the game. Give it time for once.

another year? honestly, what's the point?

Colt's worst issue is his arm >> for an NFL QB that's like a concert pianist who's missing a couple fingers or an elite boxer with a glass chin (!). Colt can only improve as far as his physical attributes (limitations) will allow. this ain't college ball, the room for error in the NFL is too slim for an organization to devote precious time and resources coddling a player with a major handicap.

i agree more time should help him get used to the speed of the game and will definitely get him more accustomed to shrrmmmrrrrs system, thereby (hopefully) helping with his crappy and slow decision-making...but all the time in the world ain't gonna help that college-caliber throwing arm he's sporting.

i wrote the following in another thread but i feel it's fitting here as well.

SW vs CM >>arms

SW throws a tight, accurate short ball. quick release, good timing-he leads his receivers well and places the ball in front of them and/or hits them in stride. Colt throws mostly wobbly balls and too often they are behind his receiver, too high, too low, or late.

SW throws an accurate long ball and can push it down-field without much effort. Seneca's abilities help open up the run. i'd like to defend Colt but let's face it--he rainbows all his long passes and needs a running start to do so. defenses don't respect Colt's long ball and they stack the box.

Colt typically still can't beat the blitz. Seneca's answer to one particular Cards blitz was connecting with Little for 35 yards through the air--which Little then took to the house for a TD. not only did he locate his open receiver among 5 defenders and hit him in perfect stride, but he did it all from a FULL SPRINT with defenders biting his heels...and made it look easy. sure, Colt's good on the run, but not THAT good.

Colt's tough as nails and takes hits like a man. Colt accepts getting sacked like it's par for the course. when faced with pressure Colt appears to panic and typically abandons the pocket and proceeds to scramble for his life, often taking unnecessary sacks. Seneca gets rid of the ball fast, typically makes quick & effective decisions, steps up into the pocket to avoid the rush, and smartly throws it away if nothing is there...and if he takes a sack at all he looks visibly pissed.

Good point LCdawgfan, colt has played MUCH TOUGHER defenses. To jibz, no the game wasnt anymore fun to watch, actually it was worse because they LOST in OT after being up 17-7. If I remember right wallace is used to this style of offense that Shurmer likes right? Well Colts had no time to learn or practice it. Sure hes made some bad throws here and there but when you're O-line is weak you have to run for your life and sometimes you're just not set to throw the ball. Ive liked the browns forever but they are becoming like the buckeyes to me now. The Retarded fans are beginning to ruin it for me. Like I said earlier lets be sure to not give anyone a legit chance EVER!!! You guys do realize how ridiculous that is right? In a way I hope they do draft another QB just so next year I can come back on here and listen to the same people b!tch about how hes not the answer and we need to move on. Give a coach, QB, and a team 4 or 5 years of playing together and you'll see results, or like some of you are suggesting and probably have every year, lets move on so we can have another 5 or 6 seasons with 5 wins. Im in no way shape or form saying Colt is definatly the guy, but I think hes smart, talented, and will put forth all the time and effort he can to win ball games and get better. I cant stand living in Ohio because of all the idiotic sports fans in this state!!!

wow (!) there's so much wrong with this post i can't even bring myself to tackle it.

you should lurk and get your football IQ up before you post again. seriously, see u in 6 months.

that "ball at Hillis' feet" was because Seneca was throwing it away--that screen was doomed regardless and it was actually a smart, heads-up play by Seneca.

the "5 yard out routes" are a staple in the WCO--SW is just executing the plays shrrrmmmrrrr calls. key word there-executing. don't kill the messenger as they say.

^^ imo worst post you've ever made here BBB2. by far.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are missing the point. As I posted earlier, I realize Wallace was throwing the ball away instead of completing a pass to Hillis for a huge loss. While that is a good thing, Wallace dropped so far back he gave away the screen play before it happened. My point is he drops back too far on most plays and spends even less time in the pocket than McCoy does (I realize this is partly due to the offensive line but both QBs give up on plays too early). And while 5 yard out routes are a staple in the WCO Wallace still executed these same plays in every start he made for Mangini last year! That was a different offense and yet Wallace still throws the same damn short out routes. I cringe every time as those are the easiest pick 6s a defense can make. Remember the pick 6 Wallace threw on one of these out routes last year that lost us the game against the Chiefs? Out routes are fine, but Wallace seems afraid to throw the ball over the middle.

In saying all of this, I was merely pointing out that Wallace is no better than McCoy. Since McCoy has the most potential between the two, I would lean towards McCoy as the starting QB (which is what Holmgren has done). I have seen way too many posts over the past few days claiming Wallace played an amazing game on Sunday. We have already lost plenty of games this year while scoring 17 points. Nothing he did was amazing. I swear the favorite player of most Cleveland fans is always the backup QB...

off-topic post, but i can't start a new post, and i figured the interruption of a back-up QB discussion might be welcomed.

Chargers fan here, but have always rooted for the browns against elway, the steelers, and most other teams (I can't call myself a closet Browns fan, but almost).

for the record, i remember the brian sipe day(nicknamed the cardiac kids i think) and bernie kosar days. you also owned the original "marty ball" - so we've got connections!

i'm not here to start any crap, i come from a tortured franchise, so who am i to talk any smack! speaking of QB's, try this one on: you have 2 consecutive pro bowl QB's (brees and rivers) and you still choke your way through every season/playoffs.

anyways, here is my question, which is probably an incredibly boring/tired topic for some of you (advance apologies): I have always like the dawg pound (way better than the black hole - full of newly released inmates on probation), and am wondering if the actual browns fans would prefer a bulldog logo on the browns helmet? I have always thought it would be cool, but might not be welcomed by long-time fans.

-Bolts

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are missing the point. As I posted earlier, I realize Wallace was throwing the ball away instead of completing a pass to Hillis for a huge loss. While that is a good thing, Wallace dropped so far back he gave away the screen play before it happened. My point is he drops back too far on most plays and spends even less time in the pocket than McCoy does (I realize this is partly due to the offensive line but both QBs give up on plays too early). And while 5 yard out routes are a staple in the WCO Wallace still executed these same plays in every start he made for Mangini last year! That was a different offense and yet Wallace still throws the same damn short out routes. I cringe every time as those are the easiest pick 6s a defense can make. Remember the pick 6 Wallace threw on one of these out routes last year that lost us the game against the Chiefs? Out routes are fine, but Wallace seems afraid to throw the ball over the middle.

In saying all of this, I was merely pointing out that Wallace is no better than McCoy. Since McCoy has the most potential between the two, I would lean towards McCoy as the starting QB (which is what Holmgren has done). I have seen way too many posts over the past few days claiming Wallace played an amazing game on Sunday. We have already lost plenty of games this year while scoring 17 points. Nothing he did was amazing. I swear the favorite player of most Cleveland fans is always the backup QB...

gotcha. and you're right, your first point was lost on me. what you're saying is much clearer now and i agree with you to an extent now that you have elaborated.

in summation: neither SW nor 3rd rounder the answer at QB >> play Colt anyway.

your last line was great btw. take it fwiw, coming from a former K. Holcomb fan. haha

off-topic post, but i can't start a new post, and i figured the interruption of a back-up QB discussion might be welcomed.

Chargers fan here, but have always rooted for the browns against elway, the steelers, and most other teams (I can't call myself a closet Browns fan, but almost).

for the record, i remember the brian sipe day(nicknamed the cardiac kids i think) and bernie kosar days. you also owned the original "marty ball" - so we've got connections!

i'm not here to start any crap, i come from a tortured franchise, so who am i to talk any smack! speaking of QB's, try this one on: you have 2 consecutive pro bowl QB's (brees and rivers) and you still choke your way through every season/playoffs.

anyways, here is my question, which is probably an incredibly boring/tired topic for some of you (advance apologies): I have always like the dawg pound (way better than the black hole - full of newly released inmates on probation), and am wondering if the actual browns fans would prefer a bulldog logo on the browns helmet? I have always thought it would be cool, but might not be welcomed by long-time fans.

-Bolts

no chargrfan, the interruption is not welcome...at least as far as i'm concerned.

nor is the trivializing of our discussion about who our future starting QB might be.

maybe try the thread entitled FIRST TIME POSTER!

ass.

no chargrfan, the interruption is not welcome...at least as far as i'm concerned.

nor is the trivializing of our discussion about who our future starting QB might be.

maybe try the thread entitled FIRST TIME POSTER!

ass.

Sisky, i didn't notice that "first post" thread. also, this thread seems to saying that neither QB is the answer, so I don't see how I interrupted the "future QB" discussion.

dumbass back at ya.

3 step drop screen passes are not all that effective bty...

I too brought this comment in from another forum, this post came from sisky fringo: Peyton Manning and Aaron Rogers were putrid their first year starting in the NFL and they had basically the same physical attributes as they do now. after gaining proficiency in their offensive systems and some time to gel with their receivers the difference is staggering. Yet hes telling me Im an idiot for wanting to give Colt a legit chance to learn this offense and to mesh with his receivers???? Im confused here but I guess its a bad idea huh sisky? :rolleyes:

Yet hes telling me Im an idiot for wanting to give Colt a legit chance to learn this offense and to mesh with his receivers???? Im confused here but I guess its a bad idea huh sisky? :rolleyes:

its simple. colts not really that great of a QB. with 10 other good guys around him, he'd be an effective game manager. i think tho, many of us are pining for something a little better than an average QB around here. someone who makes other players performance rise, someone who rises to the occasion, someone who can take a team on his back and carry them to victory.

colts not that guy....sorry, but he's just not.

i understand some people think we never give QBs a chance around here. thats fine....but how much more time until everyone can get onboard? colts got 2 years in, started 16+ games and hasn't shown anything other than average play. he was a third round pick and is on a cheap contract. so its not like the pick is a huge setback.

we have to continue to search for a new QB moving forward. use FA this year if they wanna supplement elsewhere with picks. but under no circumstances does this team take yet another year of wasted time to see if this crap comes together cause colt needs more time to learn. certain things are not learned....

if you can upgrade at QB, you do it. if not, i can deal with colt for another year. but just let go of the idea that the kid is going to turn into an all-pro.

Archived