THE BROWNS BOARD

Colts Days As A Starter Should Be Over.

Jibz

I too brought this comment in from another forum, this post came from sisky fringo: Peyton Manning and Aaron Rogers were putrid their first year starting in the NFL and they had basically the same physical attributes as they do now. after gaining proficiency in their offensive systems and some time to gel with their receivers the difference is staggering. Yet hes telling me Im an idiot for wanting to give Colt a legit chance to learn this offense and to mesh with his receivers???? Im confused here but I guess its a bad idea huh sisky? :rolleyes:

first off, Aaron Rodgers in his first real year as a starter had these stats 4,038 yards 28TD's 13 Int's. I wish a browns first year starter was that putrid haha, come on man. And i'm so tired of the idea that Manning went 1-15 in his first year and got magically better. The NFL was a completely different game back when Manning first entered. QB's weren't treated like Kings on high and DB's had rights they don't even dream about now. Face it, each year the QB gets stronger and stronger due the NFL wanting offensive games. Therefore, a true franchise QB shows what he can do right off the bat. It'd be one thing to be calling for the guys head after 4-5 starts, but if I'm not mistaken he's had 21-22 starts at this point. He's shown nothing to have gotten better and is still making the same mistakes that aren't on his WR's even though they are all below average. I mean honestly ask yourself this question: is Colt a franchise QB? I doubt anyone says yes, and without a franchise QB in today's NFL you don't win games, period.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha WOW!!!! This is outrageous!!!! I might as well give up. just draft a new QB every year and we'll continue to suck its no big deal. I just dont understand peoples way of thinking. Throw this 25 year old kid into the pros where he learns one style of play by one head coach then for his first year starting under a new coach with a new system to learn and no time to practice it and we've already seen enough to judge him?!?!?! never mind the complete lack of talent on offense but GIVE ME A BREAK! Who am I kidding ive been a fan for 20 years I guess I should be used to this bull crap by now

I for one hope they don't take a QB, but I also know these guys aren't going to reach for one either, so if they do take one it would be their guy. H&H (reguardless of what some people around here would say) have hit very well with their high draft choices, so I'm not real worried.

Most say Colt is an average QB, and I'd say he is, but think he is a winner and can be above average if given the chance. There are so may positions on the field where the Browns aren't average that not filling spots with playmakers would be a mistake. A new qb could put up big point per game, then stand on the sidelines and watch the defense give up 200+ rushing yards. And ive said it before, colt is tough as nails....put a fragile Qb behind the browns oline and let him take some of the asswhompings colt has had to take and not many would get up like he has.

I think colt has earned another year and shot, but if they do take a Qb, I'm not going to say much because like i said i dont think they will reach

This isn't about wanting to change just for the sake of changing or about Colts toughness,this about the things Colt can't do and never will

There are certain throws that just take too long to get from point A to point B,and he will never be able to throw deep accurately under pressure

Does that mean we can't win with Colt? Nope,plenty of Qbs lack the big arm of Peyton or Aaron Rodgers,put the right players around Colt and he can win

But the elite teams will never respect his deep ball and will always force him to try to win with what he can't do.I believe Heckert and Holmgren know this.

first off, Aaron Rodgers in his first real year as a starter had these stats 4,038 yards 28TD's 13 Int's. I wish a browns first year starter was that putrid haha, come on man. And i'm so tired of the idea that Manning went 1-15 in his first year and got magically better. The NFL was a completely different game back when Manning first entered. QB's weren't treated like Kings on high and DB's had rights they don't even dream about now. Face it, each year the QB gets stronger and stronger due the NFL wanting offensive games. Therefore, a true franchise QB shows what he can do right off the bat. It'd be one thing to be calling for the guys head after 4-5 starts, but if I'm not mistaken he's had 21-22 starts at this point. He's shown nothing to have gotten better and is still making the same mistakes that aren't on his WR's even though they are all below average. I mean honestly ask yourself this question: is Colt a franchise QB? I doubt anyone says yes, and without a franchise QB in today's NFL you don't win games, period.

IMO, evolution of the NFL rule changes protecting qb's have created an arena where qb's can transition from the college game to a successful nfl

career in a shorter period than what we have seen before. The learning curve has undergone a significant change favoring quicker development of

the young qb's. The league is determined to lengthen the season to 18 games, and they have to protect the player fans love the most.

We have witnessed recently more than a handful of young qb's leading their teams to the playoffs within several years of entering the league.

In addition, I think shurmus has dumbed-down the playbook for colt, yet his improvement as a qb has been marginal at best over the past 15 months. You cannot overlook

his 0 -9 record against division teams and a big question mark regarding arm strength needed to overcome the traps of division games played in brutal

november,december and january weather conditions. Lack of play making wr's, and a consistent running game along with o line injuries while challenging are not the

kiss of death. They are hurdles that can be overcome to a degree. Colt works his ass off. He's a tough gamer. He is as likeable as they come. But, i just don't

feel he is the answer for the Browns in their efforts to claw their way back to the top of the heap.

first off, Aaron Rodgers in his first real year as a starter had these stats 4,038 yards 28TD's 13 Int's. I wish a browns first year starter was that putrid haha, come on man.

lol my bad. saying Rogers 1st year starting was bad wording >> the point was just to reference his beginnings. 1st-overall-pick-Peyton was something like 3-13 out the gate and before the switch from Farve, Rogers stunk it up in his limited time on the field. Pack fans were very uneasy about the switch to him and tons of em were ready to give up on AR before he even began--and that's fact. but, rightly so. Favre is a pretty damn tough act to follow. i think you get the point.

the difference here is they both had serious tools, good health, prototypical size, shape, weight, speed, intelligence and basically all the intangibles you look for. and with the rest of the pieces around them not only do they both now have rings but they are probably both future hall of famers taboot.

so in response to pee pee: obviously, Colt does not. CM is tough as hell and certainly no dummy and sure his ceiling is high enough he can win some games, but it's not high enough to ever allow him to be elite.

and unfortunately, as long as he's in the cockpit...either will the Browns.

I have to admit I was a Colt McCoy fan when he first started "even named a cat after him" lol but...after seeing him play and not seeing him really improve and now realizing his limitations, I have to think with our first pick we should take the best available player and if that happens to be a

QB we should grab him, we can move Colt into a backup role where I think he would survive in the league for a long time. To me Colt is just not a gem waiting to be polished.

^^ good post Jibz, i totally agree.

well when it comes to QBs and Cleveland, hell, i wouldn't mind if they drafted a QB every single year >> that's basically how NE found Brady (i'm referring to late rounders of course).

plus, then their ego's wouldn't get all bruised when the new guy shows up. B)

Colt's a good dude. i wish things could be different but sadly it seems the writing on the wall is pretty clear at this point.

Colt is limited right now and if you want to help him be successful, then you have to draft/trade in order to do that. Simple as that. Regardless if he is the QB in Cleveland next year or not, you need to find consistent protection for the quarterbacks and a group of playmakers who can challenge a defense and either catch or hold onto the ball. Good to see Hillis getting more carries lately; I hope he's closer too 100% for this next game. Excited to see what develops and no matter what anyone here says, Colt is much more than just a serviceable backup in this league. If Cleveland gets rid of him, some other team will be getting their hands on a fine QB.

Evidence.. hmmmm lets see...where can we find evidence?

Um... I know!!! there's this thing called NFL football that's on once a week.. The Browns are part of the NFL and Colt gets out there and sucks for 60 minutes each week... I guess we could call that evidence!!! Geezzz do you even watch football? Come on man... turn on another game that has a pro NFL QB's like maybe... any other team and you will see what Colt is suppose to be doing... now watch the noodle arm little boy hang his head as he over throws or under throws another one of our recivers.

See thats called evidence! wow!

I too brought this comment in from another forum, this post came from sisky fringo: Peyton Manning and Aaron Rogers were putrid their first year starting in the NFL and they had basically the same physical attributes as they do now. after gaining proficiency in their offensive systems and some time to gel with their receivers the difference is staggering. Yet hes telling me Im an idiot for wanting to give Colt a legit chance to learn this offense and to mesh with his receivers???? Im confused here but I guess its a bad idea huh sisky? :rolleyes:

Yeah, you were replying to Sisky, but I have to comment. Manning & Rodgers may well have had the same physical attributes then\now, but Lord Almighty, have you even watched Rodgers play lately? He's a couple of dimensions higher than Colt in every measurable, and intangible respect you care to mention. Rodgers has the same attribute Manning had in his prime- he can make average receivers look like Pro-Bowlers. Colt makes average receivers (Little) look like crap. AR also has no running game to speak of, and a 31st ranked defense. I hate to say it, but Colt's ceiling may be somewhere in the Chad Pennington range.

H&H have said they have enough film on Colt to make a decision, So I'll defer to their expertise.

It isn't Colt that is holding back the Browns offense, period.

It's the lack of having a solid RT, maybe a big, buttkicking OG,

and some serious SPEED at wr to stretch the field.

Get those things in place, THEN if Colt is holding the offense back,

draft a qb who is top of the line.

Right now, Peyton Manning in his prime couldn't make this offense work well.

The blocking isn't there on the right side, the wr's don't get open much, cept for Little,

Hillis gets beaten up after a while... and no new qb will fix those things.

PPE6.6 has proved to be a raging ass in his 26 posts...and then tops it all by saying cats suck...

Lets see... he obviously doesn't know a thing about football since he thinks Colt is a good QB... what an ass!

And now attacks cats... just sad! And then to top it.... what kind of a login is PPE6.6 hmmmm loser!!!!

Go root for the steelers ass wipe!

That was fun... I am not a football expert and my opinion is just that.. I would love to see Colt succeed but in my opinion he will be a great backup QB and nothing else... Lets hope he proves me wrong.

Will McCoy ever start for Browns again?

Colt McCoy's season apparently is done. He hasn't been cleared by the team's medical staff after sustaining a concussion on Dec. 8 and likely won't play in the regular-season finale against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But are his days as the Browns' starting quarterback over as well?

Everyone in the Cleveland front office -- from team president Mike Holmgren to general manager Tom Heckert to coach Pat Shurmur -- has remained noncommittal on McCoy's future. They refuse to evaluate his season, saying that will happen after the season.

If you're McCoy, it's not a good sign when Holmgren gives Shurmur a strong vote of confidence during the season but doesn't do the same for the quarterback. That doesn't mean McCoy is out as the Browns' starter. It says to me that the Browns are going to look around, either in free agency or the draft, to improve the quarterback position. If the Browns can't, they can always go back to McCoy.

In his first full season as a starter, McCoy ranked 25th in completion percentage (57.2), 25th in passing yards per game (210.2), 32nd in yards per attempt (5.9) and 27th in passer rating (74.6). Some argue that McCoy's statistics are low because the Browns are tied for the most drops in the NFL (31) and have struggled to protect him.

The quarterback position will be the hot topic in Cleveland this offseason. With the potential to have the fourth overall pick in the draft, the Browns could have the opportunity to take Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/39076/will-mccoy-ever-start-for-browns-again

I think the Browns need to look for a QB via free agency.

Top Quarterbacks

Matt Flynn (GB) - As far as realistic, long-term options go, Matt Flynn may be the most pursued man. In his lone regular season appearance, he moved the Packers offense up and down the field in a national game, and almost knocked off a Patriots team in their house. He lacks the ideal tools, but plenty of quarterbacks have done more with less. Flynn has been taught by and learned from the best in Green Bay and will be ready to see if his career holds more than a clipboard.

Kyle Orton (DEN) - Orton is inconsistent and about as middle-of-the-road as they come at quarterback. He can spin the ball well, but doesn't make the quickest decisions-and sometimes not the best. He's not a quarterback that will truly impress anyone as a starter, but is comfortably one of the 32 best this league has to offer. The Broncos probably won't want him back for another round of mediocrity, but he's the type of player that will play himself into the starting lineup with a younger prospect consistently vying for his position.

Jason Campbell (OAK) - Campbell has been fairly efficient as the quarterback for the Raiders. With the Raiders finally appearing to turn the corner, they may look to retain Campbell's services on a short term deal as they continue to improve the rest of the roster and build a hard-nosed, winning environment. Unlike some of the other quarterbacks in this class, Campbell's greatest hindrance is not his skillset, but rather his confidence and vision in determining when to push the ball down the field.

Donovan McNabb (MIN) - McNabb's best years are behind him; and he's probably destined to play out the rest of his career as a back-up or a starter amongst the league's bottomfeeders. One will prolong his stay in the NFL, while the other will cut it short. One thing appears clear though. The Vikings have not had the success they anticipated coming into the year and are likely to turn to Ponder by the start of next year at the very latest. More realistically, McNabb will be riding the bench after the team's bye week.

The Rest:

Chris Redman (ATL)

Derek Anderson (CAR)

Shaun Hill (DET)

Drew Stanton (DET)

Brady Quinn (DEN)

David Garrard (FA)

Luke McCown (JAC)

Chad Henne (MIA)

Sage Rosenfels (MIA)

David Carr (NYG)

Mark Brunell (NYJ)

Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)

Kyle Boller (OAK)

Vince Young (PHI)

Charlie Batch (PIT)

Dennis Dixon (PIT)

Byron Leftwich (PIT)

Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)

A.J. Feeley (STL)

Josh Johnson (TB)

Rex Grossman (WAS)

Anyone you guys think might be viable ?

Eh, I'd say Colt needs more weapons. Our offense is bad no matter who's out there at QB. With a shortened offseason and a new coach, new system(playbook, language, and scheme), new OC(also the HC) and lack of a blocking FB- it's hard to come right out and be productive right away!

That said however, I've seen enough of him to judge what kind of a QB he is...

He's tough as nails for an undersized guy. He takes chances and trusts his arm. He's mobile and extends plays with his feet. He certainly doesn't have a noodle for an arm(I've seen plays where he thrown the ball 10 yards past a player 40 yards down the field. If that WR were faster it's a TD- no contest. Plenty of dropped passes and WR's falling to break a tackle and pick up the YAC(which nearly every other team I've watched all year- their players break a few tackles and make the QB look good). Some plays before Colt has time to read the defense the play clock is nearly 0... the HC has too much on his plate to get the plays in quick enough to help Colt read and recognize the blitz scheme and call audibles. The play calling this year has been suspect, even when the play breaks down Colt repeatedly makes something out of nothing. His #1 HB has been injured nearly all year. He's relied on Hands-of-Steel-desty and Obiwankinobi for most the year. Our change of pace back when out in the preseason.

A lot has been bad this year and it's not all on Colt. I think you trust Joe Thomas 5 time NFL ProBowler when he says "He believes in Colt and he'll be a good QB." JMHO

Ha jibz im done with you. you already have your mind made up so its no use for anyone to post or try to have a decent conversation. I would just like to see colt with some talent and a chance thats all. Im so sick and tired of changing crap every single year and sucking and sucking and sucking but obviously you're fine with it. Like you said i guess ill have to go watch other pros play on sunday to "see what colt should be doing".....what time do the rams play this weekend? #1 draft pick bradford had a decent season last year, now his OC is gone and he has what 2 wins? I guess having to learn something new doesnt really matter all that much ya know? GOD your helpless.

The thing that worries me about Colt, is his digression this year. Last year he looked good in the pocket, and looked confident. This year he has looked impatient, nervous and not at all the same last year. Is that because of the new offense. Lack of confidence in his OL? Lack of confidence in himself or maybe the coaching staff and the play calling. I don't know, but Colt digressed this year. He looked better in pre-season this year. I don't get it.

As long as the weapons are sub-par, no QB will be the answer! Look back at the last 6 years. With a below agerage O Line and no real #1 reciever (Edwards was good, but woops!)it's been difficult for any QB to play consistant. I still liked Anderson in his sort of prime, but got beat to hell. Too bad he didn't Hillis.Wallace is an OK fit right now because of his experience and mobility. Colt has potential, but it may never get there!

Top Quarterbacks

Matt Flynn (GB) - As far as realistic, long-term options go, Matt Flynn may be the most pursued man. In his lone regular season appearance, he moved the Packers offense up and down the field in a national game, and almost knocked off a Patriots team in their house. He lacks the ideal tools, but plenty of quarterbacks have done more with less. Flynn has been taught by and learned from the best in Green Bay and will be ready to see if his career holds more than a clipboard.

Kyle Orton (DEN) - Orton is inconsistent and about as middle-of-the-road as they come at quarterback. He can spin the ball well, but doesn't make the quickest decisions-and sometimes not the best. He's not a quarterback that will truly impress anyone as a starter, but is comfortably one of the 32 best this league has to offer. The Broncos probably won't want him back for another round of mediocrity, but he's the type of player that will play himself into the starting lineup with a younger prospect consistently vying for his position.

Jason Campbell (OAK) - Campbell has been fairly efficient as the quarterback for the Raiders. With the Raiders finally appearing to turn the corner, they may look to retain Campbell's services on a short term deal as they continue to improve the rest of the roster and build a hard-nosed, winning environment. Unlike some of the other quarterbacks in this class, Campbell's greatest hindrance is not his skillset, but rather his confidence and vision in determining when to push the ball down the field.

Donovan McNabb (MIN) - McNabb's best years are behind him; and he's probably destined to play out the rest of his career as a back-up or a starter amongst the league's bottomfeeders. One will prolong his stay in the NFL, while the other will cut it short. One thing appears clear though. The Vikings have not had the success they anticipated coming into the year and are likely to turn to Ponder by the start of next year at the very latest. More realistically, McNabb will be riding the bench after the team's bye week.

The Rest:

Chris Redman (ATL)

Derek Anderson (CAR)

Shaun Hill (DET)

Drew Stanton (DET)

Brady Quinn (DEN)

David Garrard (FA)

Luke McCown (JAC)

Chad Henne (MIA)

Sage Rosenfels (MIA)

David Carr (NYG)

Mark Brunell (NYJ)

Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)

Kyle Boller (OAK)

Vince Young (PHI)

Charlie Batch (PIT)

Dennis Dixon (PIT)

Byron Leftwich (PIT)

Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)

A.J. Feeley (STL)

Josh Johnson (TB)

Rex Grossman (WAS)

The only one to consider as a starter is Shaun Hill. He has produced every time he has filled in at Detroit! Rosenfelds or Henne could bring a slight upgrade, but would have to come cheep to sign.

Top Quarterbacks

The Rest:

Chris Redman (ATL)

Derek Anderson (CAR)

Shaun Hill (DET)

Drew Stanton (DET)

Brady Quinn (DEN)

David Garrard (FA)

Luke McCown (JAC)

Chad Henne (MIA)

Sage Rosenfels (MIA)

David Carr (NYG)

Mark Brunell (NYJ)

Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)

Kyle Boller (OAK)

Vince Young (PHI)

Charlie Batch (PIT)

Dennis Dixon (PIT)

Byron Leftwich (PIT)

Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)

A.J. Feeley (STL)

Josh Johnson (TB)

Rex Grossman (WAS)

My vote is for Anderson and Quinn. We'd have an arm that could hit Little down the field or a dumper who can make all the WCO throws.

No way should we look for a QB in FA. Every time we do that is costs us and they don't work out or produce. I say stick with Colt and develop another QB coming out. With all the FA QB's out there, you know what they are, backups or mediocre at best. FA should come in by way of DE, LB, CB, and S. On Offense I'd take the Best OL.

Archived