THE BROWNS BOARD

Trayvon Martin

Something for all of us to consider while we fume over profiling etcetra.

It seems as if every one of us from me to the far right to the far left, was ready to book zimmerman throw away the key. We all seemed ready to do anything just to find something to charge him with him throw him in jail.

Everyone of us assumed there must have been something terribly wrong with what he told the police. And the fact that they released him.

Do any of us now feel even the slightest bit guilty about making this judgement with out knowing anything about the case?

Even if he turns out to be the animal we all suspected at the outset aren't we all guilty of rushing to a blind judgement? Do you suppose we'd have seen this as such a huge injustice had he been black too?

WSS

my opinion is that he should have stayed in his house and nothing would have happened. so no I don't feel bad for anything. he should have left the police work to the police rather than going out and starting the events of that night.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I don't feel bad for him. He pursued an unarmed suspect against police orders and killed him. Whether or not it was 'self defense' is irrelevant. The kid was also perhaps acting in self defense. Zimmerman was armed, looking for a fight, found one, apparently lost, then committed murder, in my opinion. It's not his job to confront kids its the polices job, and he was told not to.

He does not have the right to kill someone's minor child because he thinks the kid looks suspicious. If that were my son I'd murder zimmerman and spend the rest if my days in jail knowing justice was served.

I have a hard time seeing myself anywhere other than jail for life if that was my son.

my opinion is that he should have stayed in his house and nothing would have happened. so no I don't feel bad for anything. he should have left the police work to the police rather than going out and starting the events of that night.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I doubt when he started that night he thought about killing some Black Kid.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I doubt when he started that night he thought about killing some Black Kid.

I don't think he set out to kill anyone that night either, but that does not excuse him of of his responsibility as a gun owner to do the right thing.

I'm not missing the point. I think your missing the point. This whole discussion is about a White/Hispanic man shooting a Black kid.

actually that is the red herring being presented that is distorting rational conversation. What Zimmerman did was wrong no matter the races involved . what does it matter?

I'm not missing the point. I think your missing the point. This whole discussion is about a White/Hispanic man shooting a Black kid.

The point I'm making is he shot and killed someone's child. Would it be less sensationalistic if the kid were white? Probably but he still murdered a minor child. And he's going to get away with it. Not if it were my kid he wouldn't.

Something for all of us to consider while we fume over profiling etcetra.

It seems as if every one of us from me to the far right to the far left, was ready to book zimmerman throw away the key. We all seemed ready to do anything just to find something to charge him with him throw him in jail.

Everyone of us assumed there must have been something terribly wrong with what he told the police. And the fact that they released him.

Do any of us now feel even the slightest bit guilty about making this judgement with out knowing anything about the case?

Even if he turns out to be the animal we all suspected at the outset aren't we all guilty of rushing to a blind judgement? Do you suppose we'd have seen this as such a huge injustice had he been black too?

WSS

Oh, now you're all for investigating? That's rich. But you're right in a sense. You have to wait for the facts to come in. And that's why we investigate.

But let's also not see the inevitable pushback from the police and his attorney's as truth. They're playing the media game the same way his supporters are. And this is why we investigate.

I still don't see any justification for taking the kid's life, even if you assume everything we're reading in the media is true.

Oh, now you're all for investigating? That's rich. But you're right in a sense. You have to wait for the facts to come in. And that's why we investigate.

But let's also not see the inevitable pushback from the police and his attorney's as truth. They're playing the media game the same way his supporters are. And this is why we investigate.

I still don't see any justification for taking the kid's life, even if you assume everything we're reading in the media is true.

I think I was always for investigation just not some bullshit show trial that sharpton the panthers and you demand.

WSS

I think I was always for investigation just not some bullshit show trial that sharpton the panthers and you demand.

WSS

Ah, man. That made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.

Yes, when the Department of Justice wanted to investigate possible civil rights violations because they had a dead, unarmed black kid and a 911 call where the shooter calls him "a fucking coon" and says "they always get away" and was told not to follow him but does anyway ...you called the idea that they would even investigate this "garbage." And now you're referring to the Department of Justice investigation as something led by "sharpton and the panthers."

But now that there might be evidence that there was some sort of altercation that might give Zimmerman some cause, or even exonerate him under the SYG laws, you're all for investigating, and finding out what happened.

A little self-awreness is all I ask for.

Otherwise, your post was fine. But again, you're only seeing the side of this you want to see. What did you imagine his defense was going to say, that he wasn't provoked? That he really did say "fucking coons" on tape? The fact that these stories are out there does not necessarily mean they're true.

If he really did suffer those injuries, the police will have pictures of those injuries. And again, this is why we investigate.

Ah, man. That made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.

Yes, when the Department of Justice wanted to investigate possible civil rights violations because they had a dead, unarmed black kid and a 911 call where the shooter calls him "a fucking coon" and says "they always get away" and was told not to follow him but does anyway ...you called the idea that they would even investigate this "garbage." And now you're referring to the Department of Justice investigation as something led by "sharpton and the panthers."

But now that there might be evidence that there was some sort of altercation that might give Zimmerman some cause, or even exonerate him under the SYG laws, you're all for investigating, and finding out what happened.

A little self-awreness is all I ask for.

Otherwise, your post was fine. But again, you're only seeing the side of this you want to see. What did you imagine his defense was going to say, that he wasn't provoked? That he really did say "fucking coons" on tape? The fact that these stories are out there does not necessarily mean they're true.

If he really did suffer those injuries, the police will have pictures of those injuries. And again, this is why we investigate.

The problem I'm having with this is that you're still making it about black rights. All HUMANS should have the right to walk down the street unmolested and not be killed for it. Regardless of race it's outrageous to me that a neighborhood watch man was able to kill someone's unarmed minor child and walk free for it.

Of course they do. But let's get our heads out of the sand/our ass and stop pretending that race doesn't matter in America, and that evidence we already have shouldn't even lead to an investigation that this crime was - at least in part - racially motivated. Of course that angle of it should be investigated.

Lots of people have vested interest in keeping racial grievances alive. Likewise, there are lots of people invested in the idea that racism doesn't exist, and will do anything, including stick their heads in the sand, to try and imagine that it doesn't.

You sound like the type who doesn't want it mentioned at all anymore, or have any racial classifications or organizations at all. I understand that impulse, but find this to be wildly unrealistic ideal that misses the forest for the trees, and leaves problems unresolved for the sake wishing they were resolved.

Of course they do. But let's get our heads out of the sand/our ass and stop pretending that race doesn't matter in America, and that evidence we already have shouldn't even lead to an investigation that this crime was - at least in part - racially motivated. Of course that angle of it should be investigated.

Lots of people have vested interest in keeping racial grievances alive. Likewise, there are lots of people invested in the idea that racism doesn't exist, and will do anything, including stick their heads in the sand, to try and imagine that it doesn't.

You sound like the type who doesn't want it mentioned at all anymore, or have any racial classifications or organizations at all. I understand that impulse, but find this to be wildly unrealistic ideal that misses the forest for the trees, and leaves problems unresolved for the sake wishing they were resolved.

huh? its still an ongoing investigation. the race baiting is doing nothing more than causing an issue between two minority groups. I think the people crying race are really reaching. even if Zimmerman killed him strictly based on race it makes Martin no more dead, and no more of a tragedy. I just don't see the point of race being involved.

Did I mention that the investigation was finished? Of course not.

Again, there are lots of people who don't want to hear anything about racism still being an American problem. If you even bring it up, they'll call it race-baiting, or playing the race card. They simply don't want to hear talk about race.

Unless, of course, we're talking about how black people commit lots of crimes. Or reverse racism. That part we'll talk about. ...And then lecture people about why we shouldn't bring up race.

Did I mention that the investigation was finished? Of course not.

Again, there are lots of people who don't want to hear anything about racism still being an American problem. If you even bring it up, they'll call it race-baiting, or playing the race card. They simply don't want to hear talk about race.

Unless, of course, we're talking about how black people commit lots of crimes. Or reverse racism. That part we'll talk about. ...And then lecture people about why we shouldn't bring up race.

you really desperately need this to be about race don't you. I think Zimmerman behaved recklessly as a gun owner and caused this whole mess to happen. Enjoy being stuck on the color of their skin, and bringing strawman arguments into it.

Well if you're laughing out loud it must just be because your demented.

Yes the department of justice looking into whether or not they can pin a hate crime on somebody is bullshit.

But everybody here would like to get to the bottom of what actually happened regardless of the race, which is the only thing you're obsessed with.

And probably most of us think that it's a bad thing to murder aight kid in cold blood.

Even if he doesn't fit your requirements.

WSS

Trayvon Martin’s family looks to trademark ‘I am Trayvon,’ ‘Justice for Trayvon’

trayvon-martin-family-sharpton.jpgSybrina Fulton stands with Sharpton at a rally for her son Trayvon Martin on March 22, 2012. (Roberto Gonzalez …

Trayvon Martin's mother Sybrina Fulton is seeking to trademark phrases with her son's name.

According to applications filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office by the family's attorney last week, Fulton wants to trademark "I am Trayvon" and "Justice for Trayvon" for use in DVDs and CDs memorializing the slain teenager.

In the wake of the news that her son had been suspended from school after traces of marijuana were found in his book bag, Fulton said Monday that those leaking information were trying to blame the victim. "They killed my son, and now they are trying to kill his reputation," Fulton said.

Fulton's trademark application could be fuel for critics who contend Martin's parentsand civil rights activists like Rev. Al Sharptonare trying to capitalize on the killing for personal or financial gain.

But Martinwho was unarmed when he was shot by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watchman, in Sanford, Fla., last monthand the hooded sweatshirt he was wearing at the time he was killed, have become symbols of the country's racial divide and the pursuit of justice. Martin's family may simply be trying to gain some control over his name, which has been cropping up on t-shirts and hoodies across the country.

Zimmerman's image, meanwhile, appears on a t-shirt that is causing even more furor in Florida. Zimmerman's face appears on the shirt under the phrase "P*** A** CRACKER." A photo of a Florida rapperPlieswearing the shirt was posted on Twitter, sparking outrage among Zimmerman's supporters.

And one of the reasons race matters so very much is that people like you setup different class standards.

WSS

That's al you got, isn't it?

What different class standards am I for setting up?

And again, thanks for proving my point for the 30th time in the last week. You'll talk about anything but actual racism.

That's al you got, isn't it?

What different class standards am I for setting up?

And again, thanks for proving my point for the 30th time in the last week. You'll talk about anything but actual racism.

Please don't make me have to go over the actual definition of racism again.

We rushed to judgement, all of us, that Zimmeeman did something wrong.

We wouldn't be doing this if they were both black.

We wouldn't even have heard of this case.

You are just obsessed with race. I'll be kind and assume it's just political.

And the double standard you help to support is that it's worse to commit a crime against a black person than a white.

It's not enough for you to feel bad that an unarmed minor was killed.

Most rational people will find that mindset to be just a little f***** up.

WSS

Please don't make me have to go over the actual definition of racism again.

We rushed to judgement, all of us, that Zimmeeman did something wrong.

We wouldn't be doing this if they were both black.

We wouldn't even have heard of this case.

You are just obsessed with race. I'll be kind and assume it's just political.

And the double standard you help to support is that it's worse to commit a crime against a black person than a white.

It's not enough for you to feel bad that and I'm armed minor was killed.

Most rational people will find that mindset to be just a little f***** up.

WSS

He did do something wrong Steve. Big time.

This is my point too.

And i like Freeman's answer about Black History Month. It is condescending.

I definitely think moving toward not talking about race is the best way to get rid of racism.

You are definitely right about this tough:

Archived